Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 18:04   #511
BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

So I got a call from the dealership today saying that the Sparkle Cocoa colour option had been discontinued and I would have to select an alternative colour.

I called Tata customer care to verify and they confirmed the same.

I understand if a company stops taking bookings for a particular colour but to randomly discontinue when there is already a waiting list is highly unprofessional.

Tata ensures that there is atleast one instance of bad taste in the mouth for all its customers. Not sure whether to cancel my booking, no other colour seems attractive to me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th December 2020 at 23:04. Reason: Typos
Bluengel180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 22:29   #512
BHPian

Today took delivery of my XZA+ Dark edition 7 days from booking.
Garth is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 23:30   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I registered my interest in Harrier on Tata website yesterday evening. I got a call from Tata customer support today and they asked if the dealer has contacted me yet. I said no, they assured callback.

After few minutes I got call from wrong dealer who is far away from my location. They then assured someone from different dealership which is near to my home will call me. Till now no call. I tried looking up their phone number on Google, but no luck. Looks like dealers are also not willing to sell Tata cars?

This is funny, because when I got my vehicle this rodent treatment, the 3M manager said it is not smell, but there will thick coating on all wires due to this spray and rats will not able to chew the wiring anymore.
I am sure its not a coating on the wiring as it looked just like a normal spray. It had a pungent smell and they asked me not to use(or use )AC in re-circulation mode for 8 hours to avoid the smell coming inside cabin
Old 10th December 2020, 23:43   #514
BHPian

Tata removing sparkle cocoa as one of the colour variants is a bummer. I was eyeing to get a Harrier XZA+ in the same shade in Jan - Feb 2021. Now I've to select one and I'm confused.
Old 11th December 2020, 00:38   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Congrats on your new car. Wish you many many happy miles in it.
Turbo_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 14:30   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Congratulations for the new vehicle. Have a safe ownership. Please share few pics
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 16:04   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Congratulations for the new vehicle. Have a safe ownership. Please share few pics
Ownership review on the way. Will try to complete it over the weekend.
Old 11th December 2020, 23:33   #518
BHPian

Booked The Tata Harrier on behalf of my father yesterday.

Following are the details-
Variant: XZA+ Dual Tone.
Colour: Red and Black.
City: Kolkata.
Dealer: Dulichand Motors.
Estimated Delivery Time: 13-14 days to assign engine and chassis number, 10 days post that vehicle would remain in transit.
I have opted for fancy registration number, which takes 1 day to process (as opposed to 7 days in case of non-fancy registration number).
Even if the car reaches the dealership by end of this month, I will get the car registered in January 2021.

Price (in Rupees)-
List Price: 2340671 (with 15 years road tax).
Extended Warranty: 30000 (5 years / unlimited kms).
Handling Charges: 3366
Total List Price: 2374037.

Out of this, the insurance was listed at Rs. 100941. It is a standard zero depreciation Comprehensive Bumper-to-Bumper insurance policy with 1st year of full coverage, and third party cover for the two subsequent years.

I checked for quotations on Policybazar. Starting quotation (with about Rs. 2100000 IDV) was about Rs. 44000. Policies with full IDV from a relatively better-known company was at Rs. 58000, which I would have bought.
Showed this thing to the dealer, and asked for some further discount, apart from the Rs. 5000 corporate discount.
Dealer said he will try to match the quote at Rs. 60000. It was alright for me. Told him that I would buy both the insurance and extended warranty (5 years / unlimited kms) from him.
Also told him that seal the entire deal at Rs. 2300000 and I would book the car right now, no loan.

Dealer agreed.

Final Price: Rs. 2300000
Booking Amount: Rs. 100000.

The booking amount is relatively more than usual (i.e. Rs. 50000). It is because the dealer said that rarely does someone buy the Harrier with full payment. More than 90% customers take loan. Hence they pay lesser booking amount.
This information did not make any difference to me. However, interesting to know the market trend.

Complimentary Accessories: 3D Floor Mats, Perfume, God Idol and Mud Flaps.

Other useful points (some my personal points)-
  • An exchange bonus of Rs. 40000 is valid in XZA+ variant, for those who are interested.
  • I plan to do the PDI once before the the official PDI, post the car in unloaded. Might take the car for a short test - drive.
  • Will ask the dealer to deliver the car with FastTag, full tank DEF and full tank diesel. Most probably he would agree.
  • Important Recommendation: Check the date of manufacture of tyres while doing PDI. Many people forget.

Some informal but extremely important tips-
  • Final payment would be done only after I do the PDI, and am fully satisfied. I recommend all BHPians to follow this practice. We as customers do not have much hold over dealers apart from the money. The sooner you let go of it, the sooner you lose your hold over the dealer.
  • Please do not get aggressive with dealerships while bargaining or asking for discount. Talk calmly and put forward your point straight. Use words like "I do no have so much money", or "This is my final budget. Please help me." Trust me, 90% of the times YOU would be successful. This being a relatively newly-launched car, and having relatively better sales than before, do not expect to drive out lakhs of Rupees as discount.
  • Do not be very stubborn on your fixed budget. If you get a good deal, but it is 10-12% over your initial budget, spend the extra money. I can assure you that it would be worth it.

Would give many other useful tips in the review thread of my car. For the time being, the above points are more than enough for any potential buyer of the Harrier.

Attaching price list of all BS6 Tata cars-
Attachment 2091898

Attaching CSD price list of all BS6 Tata cars-
Attachment 2091899

Attaching price list of Official Accessories-
Harrier order form.pdf

Even though I am a Newbie in Team-BHP, please feel free to post any queries in this thread. Also, do not hesitate to DM me.

Stay Strong.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 11th December 2020 at 23:57.
Big Smoke is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 06:26   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Booked The Tata Harrier on behalf of my father yesterday.
Handling Charges: 3366
Total List Price: 2374037.
Are you sure about the handling charges? It’s very nominal but still. In Bhopal, it’s not there and most Bhpians didn’t mention it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th December 2020 at 07:23. Reason: Post edited for grammar. Please proof read your post before submitting. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2020, 09:49   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Are you sure about the handling charges? It’s very nominal but still. In Bhopal, it’s not there and most Bhpians didn’t mention it.
Yes the dealer was charging Handling Charges. I mentioned once that taking this charge is illegal. But I didn't make a fuss about it. Just looked at the total discount.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 20:51   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
Yes the dealer was charging Handling Charges. I mentioned once that taking this charge is illegal. But I didn't make a fuss about it. Just looked at the total discount.
I would say a nice deal. looks like the RTO component is very less for WB which comes to only 204580 compared to a 305500 rs we pay in chennai which makes a lot of difference. I am sure people in bangalore will have to shell out much more than this. Big time we get one country one tax implemented in all the states.
Turbo_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 01:32   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
I am planning to upgrade from Nexon around Diwali and Harrier is one of the car I am looking into. The one connected tech feature which is useful for me is remote AC control. I have open parking space and it would be great to have this feature for northern summer (almost 8-9 months of year). Apart from this, other features geofencing, intrusion alert and vehicle crash notification are good from safety point of view. Thanks in advance.
Need your advice folks:

I am in market for new Automatic Diesel SUV for some time and was waiting for rumored (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review) Harrier with connected tech (since I have not so good experience with Nexon Infotainment and Harrier owners are also facing similar issues.) But there is no news till now.

Today my SA called and informed that Tata might increase prices from Jan 2021 (Maruti, Ford, Kia already announced price hike, no official statement from Tata yet) and this is right time for booking.

I checked with some dealers in the Jaipur/Delhi NCR and the best deal I am getting is 21.80L on road Jaipur for Harrier XZA Dark Edition. (On-road price without discount is 22.70L in Jaipur).

Question: I am confused whether to wait till Jan/Feb for any update on Harrier or go ahead with purchase this month. I am planning to keep it for more than 5 years at least so mfg year 2020 is not a concern for me (from resale value point of view). Also, whether the said update will be significant to justify the price hike (if any) and forgo the year end discount?

On a different note, I am writing below summary for prospective buyers with similar requirement. No additional information for current owners/members (I think), so they can leave it here, if they wish .

Summary of requirement and consideration:

Usage: 70% City + 30% Highways, roughly 1500-1800 kms per month

Requirement:
  1. A decent Diesel engine + Automatic gearbox combo
  2. Strong build quality + safety features such as with 6 airbags, ESP, Hill hold assist etc.
  3. Adequate rear seat space for 3 adults (occasional rides) or 2 adult+1 child
  4. Budget: 15-21 Lacs (slightly negotiable)
  5. Ground clearance of 200 mm or above
  6. Feature-rich ICE paired with good sound system
  7. Boot space of 400+ litres
  8. Good ride quality and suspension set up

Detailed pro and cons are already covered on forum. Just mentioning some of them here:

Tata Harrier:
Pros: Point 1,2,3,4,5 (GC: although lower in BS6 variant, but sufficient and not intruding since lowest point is below rear tyres),7,8
Cons:
  • Slow and laggy ICE with no connected features
  • 4 disc brakes not offered in 20L car (but haven't heard issues about braking performance)
  • Minor niggles and hard to find good A.S.S.
  • No electronic IRVM in XZ/XZA model and not a fan of sunroof so upgrading to XZA+ is not worth for me.

Kia Sonet:
Pros: Point 1,2 (except build quality), 4,5,6,7 plus could save few lacs on this.
Cons:
  • Rear seat space and questionable build quality after Seltos crash test ratings (deal breaker)
  • Ride quality is livable, but not great
  • Long waiting period + price increment for deliveries from Jan 2021 (currently GTX+AT is 15.40L on-road Delhi, this is already on higher side for sub 4 meter car. With further price increment, not sure if it's worth it. No offence to other buyers)

Kia Seltos:
Pros: Fulfilled almost all requirement except build quality & ride quality.
Cons:
  • 3 star crash test rating (deal breaker)
  • 115bhp/250nm - Although adequate but lowest at this price point.
  • Long waiting period + top end close to 21L

Mahindra XUV500 2021: Highly interesting set of updates in 2021 facelift, but launch timeline is not fixed and do not want to become a beta tester of 1st gen vehicle which involves critical first time features such as L1 autonomous tech. Also, the top end variant could breach 25L on-road mark.

Not considered: Hyundai Creta, MG Hector(no Diesel+AT yet).

Deciding factor for Tata Harrier:
  • Fulfilling all requirements except point 6
  • There is no match to it's road presence and sheer looks in the segment. It's been almost 2 years since launch and still best looking SUV and a head turner.
  • Price is slightly on higher side but it is also segment above to other alternatives mentioned.
  • FE is decent for vehicle of this size.
  • While I like the gizmos and electronics offered by Kia/Hyundai, but could not select a car based on these factors alone (No offence to other car buyers). A good ICE, ventilated seats, wireless charger, connected tech etc. are useful features in day to day life and I would love to get these features in Harrier. If I will get decent aftermarket alternatives for these gizmos in future, might try some of those. But most importantly there are no aftermarket solutions for build quality, interior space, ride and handling, powerful engine, gearbox, car dimension etc. hence the Harrier.
Beelzebub is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:27   #523
Senior - BHPian

Beelzebub- My short advise to you is to go for this 2020 model with great discount. Harrier is already loaded car.

I dont see TATA doing much changes to Harrier in Jan 2021. Connected Tech is anyway not worth around 1.5-2 lacs you will pay extra for 2021 model (considering discounts on 2020 model, price increase for 2021 model plus expected price bump if some features added to the Harrier).
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:16   #524
BHPian

@Beelzebub - I concur with PaddleShifter. The biggest use cases that I see for connected tech are (1) tracking whereabouts of the car (2) geofencing (3) making sure drivers stay within speed limit (4) basic car scanning.

All of this can be achieved with an OBD based solution like Autowiz, Zyme or the Cardekho one. If you are bothered about using the OBD port (like I was for my car), buy a Onelap power bank based tracker that can be hidden anywhere in the car. It does 1-3 above well.

I am not a fan of connected tech. Carmakers are anyways poor with security of data, information, systems, etc. The last thing I want is someone screwing around with my car because it is connected 24x7 through data.

Last edited by andafunda : 14th December 2020 at 11:18.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:28   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
Question: I am confused whether to wait till Jan/Feb for any update on Harrier or go ahead with purchase this month. I am planning to keep it for more than 5 years at least so mfg year 2020 is not a concern for me (from resale value point of view). Also, whether the said update will be significant to justify the price hike (if any) and forgo the year end discount?
I would say take the deal offered now, also take note that most manufacturers have a trend of increasing pricing in Jan. The connected car tech is not confirmed yet, but, its coming, so if you want to wait for it then do keep in mind the higher cost + the discount would be the price you pay for the new feature. Whether it would be worth it to you is your call. Frankly, with some sort of niggles still cropping up in the existing infotainment, I would advice you against trying a fresh new infotainment s/w with more features
AmitRavi07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks