Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 08:34   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
For a 25Lakhs+ car, the quality of interiors, design and features is a big letdown . Except for the sheer size and high-seating position, i didn't feel anything premium compared to my Linea TJet. THe sound system was loud, but lacks quality and punch. Someone else also mentioned about it in this thread. The features one find in something like Kia Seltos is miles ahead of what's on offer in Harrier. I am sure the average number of harrier sales is just because of this factor. A close friend drives a Seltos and I loved the comfort, tech and interior quality. But, harrier drives like a dream and seltos is nowhere close to it.
You clearly belong to the Hyundai target segment and will always like a Hyundai / Kia to anything else. All the gizmos which Hyundai provides can be fitted in the after market segment (except the ventilated seats maybe). But you cant upgrade a Creta or a Seltos to give you space or road presence or the ride and handling. I test drove the Seltos and didnt find anything appealing during the test drive because the engine was so lame compared to my Polo. While driving you dont even focus on the gizmos Hyundai provides, you focus on the drive, handling and the "Feel" of the car. The Seltos is no where close even compared to a city.

Only advice, you should try to buy a car which your heart wants you to buy, be it Hyundai or Tata or Mahindra.
2000rpm is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 10:25   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post
I just brought one home last Friday with a total discount of INR 80k in Chennai. I am sure this should not be too different in Hyderabad unless the dealers are playing the spoil sport.
Can you share the break up of your discount? My dealer is not budging for XZA+ DT.

All I am getting is around 40k from insurance.

I told him I would prefer a 2021 model next year if that's the case to which his reply is that the price will go up next year which is BS according to me.

Surprisingly he is offering me a discount if I go for Red instead of my preferred one which is white.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:06   #483
BHPian

How old is the car ? did you take this issue to the Tata service Center ?

I didnt. Its not at all an issue that bothers me. You notice it only if you want to nit-pick. My first service is due in a couple of weeks as I have completed around 1600kms. Faced absolutely no issues so far.
rsanthosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:23   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Since you mentioned sound quality, Seltos sound system is definitely better with Bose and Dashboard mounted speakers.
It may be either you checked out a bad sounding one or maybe our perspectives are way different. I found xuv300 normal system(no fancy tuning) better than the one in Seltos GTX+. No comparison with Harrier. The only other infotainment system I found good enough was the Hector, which I think has the best sound quality in this segment- more clarity in Hector. Harrier is more bass heavy.

Quote:
Any clue why the ARAI certified figures of 14.63 kmpl when most of the users have reported better real world mileage ? Most of the companies claim superficial figures and real world numbers come as a major deviation from it.
The MID readings are always a bit more optimistic. In my case the MID can be off by 1-2 kmpl compared to tankful-tankful method. If you drive in city, then the deviation is closer to 2kmpl as compared to 1 kmpl on a highway drive.
In bumper to bumper traffic, I get around 11 kmpl (12-13 MID), so with the highway drives in the mix, the avg is around 13 for now.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:12   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Can you share the break up of your discount? My dealer is not budging for XZA+ DT.

All I am getting is around 40k from insurance.

I told him I would prefer a 2021 model next year if that's the case to which his reply is that the price will go up next year which is BS according to me.

Surprisingly he is offering me a discount if I go for Red instead of my preferred one which is white.
I had taken quote 3 different dealers in Chennai. Lakshmi Tata, Gurudev and Gokulam Motors.

Gurudev didn't put much effort in convincing or matching the quote from rest of them and was more like take it or leave attitude.

Gokulam Motors -

Ex-showroom - 20,30000
Road Tax - 3,07100
Insurance - 1,02191 (B2B zero Dip)
Fast Tag - 600
Extended warranty for the third year - 13800
TCS - 15225
Total- INR 24,68916

Discounts -
Exchange Bonus - 40000 (Regardless you exchange your old vehicle or not)
Insurance Discount - 35000
Corporate Discount - 5000
Free mud flaps and Floor mat(I have to say floor mats provided were third class)

Final offer price - 23,88916
I chose not to take just 3rd year extended warranty. You can buy 3rd, 4th and 5th with unlimited kms for 30k within 90 days of purchase. To bring down the initial payment I asked them to remove that.

Final on-road price INR 23,75116.
Loan taken for 1825000 from HDFC for a tenure of 7 years at 7.9% per annum.

The offer from Lakshmi Tata was almost same as Gokulam, but they wanted me to take the Extended warranty and AMC at the time of purchase itself which brought their final offer to 2410000. Overall experience from Gokulam motors was pleasant compared to Lakshmi TATA (Purely my experience), hence didn't do any further bargain.

All dealerships are quoting the price hike in near future not sure how true it is. I feel further price increase on Harrier might bring down its sales but we get to enjoy the exclusivity though.

I was smitten with the beautifully designed back of Harrier and admire it every now and then clicking pics.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20201204_170254.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20201204_191038.jpg  

Turbo_head is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 14:29   #486
BHPian

Quote:
I was smitten with the beautifully designed back of Harrier and admire it every now and then clicking pics.
Congratulations. CAMO looks brilliant.

In my opinion the interior seats are different compared to the dark edition. They are dark gray with camo stitching compared to a complete black of the dark edition. Am I correct with this?

Thanks for your detailed response with the pricing.
Old 7th December 2020, 14:57   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Congratulations. CAMO looks brilliant.

In my opinion the interior seats are different compared to the dark edition. They are dark gray with camo stitching compared to a complete black of the dark edition. Am I correct with this?

Thanks for your detailed response with the pricing.
Interiors same as Dark except the camo green stitching (very hard to notice unless looked with a keen eye) Seats are Black in color and the dashboard sports a silver middle part instead of faux wood in normal trims.

May be the light made it look like grey.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-20201122_154046.jpg  

Turbo_head is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:50   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Excellent point. Superior vehicles mechanically somehow lag behind in bling and then complain of low sales .
I think I have posted this earlier on the forum, don't remember which thread. Maybe it was the Seltos braking issue thread.

Everything comes at a cost, an OEM who is putting more money on the build quality, mechanics etc will have to skimp on the interior features to keep the cost attractive. Otherwise people will complain that Tata is expecting customers to pay 28-30 lacs for a Tata car. And those OEMs who attract customers using bling features, skimp on other basic features like brakes, grade of steel used in the body structure etc.

And the size of the car and the cabin has to count for something right? Does the size not add to the premium-ness of the cabin? We can load the cabin of say Alto with top notch features, 15 speakers of Bang & Olufsen etc - would it be correct to say the the interiors have become more premium than City (or Sonet). Unfair to compare the price and features of 2 cars which are clearly from 2 different size classes.
rags.singh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 20:14   #489
BHPian

Have a few queries about the official accessories that are on offer from TATA.

1) Connectnext Infotainment Kit (2810)
What is this ? Is is a subscription or a module that enables extra features?

2)Digital Video recorder (4999)
I assume that this is a dashcam? any idea on the make?

3)Front parking Sensors (3950)
A lot of comments on the forum indicate that they are not up to the mark, any decent alternatives?

4)Floor Lamination - Make Prevento (4500)
Is this worth it ? or would 3d kagu maps be sufficient?
Old 7th December 2020, 22:33   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
You clearly belong to the Hyundai target segment and will always like a Hyundai / Kia to anything else.

Only advice, you should try to buy a car which your heart wants you to buy, be it Hyundai or Tata or Mahindra.

Well, I am NOT the one who belong to the Hyundai target segment. Infact, till now, I have owned 6 cars and none of them are Hyundai or Tata for that matter. For me the car has to be first a driver's car (This is non-negotiable). The rest comes after.

Who knows, my heart may do a U-turn on Harrier in a quarter!!
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 02:06   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I am NOT the one who belong to the Hyundai target segment. Infact, till now, I have owned 6 cars and none of them are Hyundai or Tata for that matter. For me the car has to be first a driver's car (This is non-negotiable). The rest comes after.

Who knows, my heart may do a U-turn on Harrier in a quarter!!
You never know buddy ! I didn't have Harrier in my radar at all but ended up with it. 3-4 test drives of Harrier, Seltos and Creta on Broken patches and highways changed my decision.

If nothing else, you will be rewarded with a good automatic transmission, balanced ride quality and lots of exclusivity on the road.
Turbo_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 02:20   #492
BHPian

More pampering for the CAMO !

Took CAMO to 3M Madhuravoyal for an underbody and silencer coating owing the heavy rains and nuances of living in a coastal city.

3M Coating with 5 years warranty - 4832 + Taxes
Rodent Repellant treatment - 966 + taxes (says effective for 3 months only )
Silencer Coating - 1091.95 + Taxes

Total Damage - INR 8131

Service advisor Vinod threw some additional services like a free wax and polish when he saw me browsing through Team BHP website in the customer Lounge.

Came out with a heavy heart and a lighter wallet. Paying for something you will never see in your life time unless you stand under the car during a wash.

A glance of gleaming CAMO is all that is required to overcome this hardship.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-3m.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-3m1.jpg  

2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-ready-take-off.jpg  

Turbo_head is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 07:01   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
You clearly belong to the Hyundai target segment and will always like a Hyundai / Kia to anything else. All the gizmos which Hyundai provides can be fitted in the after market segment (except the ventilated seats maybe). But you cant upgrade a Creta or a Seltos to give you space or road presence or the ride and handling. I test drove the Seltos and didnt find anything appealing during the test drive because the engine was so lame compared to my Polo. While driving you dont even focus on the gizmos Hyundai provides, you focus on the drive, handling and the "Feel" of the car. The Seltos is no where close even compared to a city.

I was in this conundrum a couple of months ago when I was thinking of the Harrier. But then I realised that "road presence" depends in the context. What I perceive as commanding , people may perceive as a problem in many places in say, a city like Pune. That apart, I would have to wonder what are the most redeeming features that command a price premium of about 3.5 lac over say a Seltos/Creta SXO model. In terms of power/weight ratio, maybe the Harrier is superior. But that hardly matters in the practical scenario of the driving cycle that we mostly encounter. Then, the space inside especially in the rear seat is better, to accommodate a 3rd medium-size adult. But just like the Creta, that person won't have an headrest. The rear seat squab for the Creta (to me) felt at par with the Harrier and better than Seltos. The Infotainment system on the Creta/Seltos is superior to the Harrier overall because of the interface and built-in features, and I believe NO aftermarket system can beat the fit-finish and warranty peace-of-mind of the original. In terms of active and passive safety features, the top variants of Seltos/Creta/Harrier are at par. In fact, Harrier doesn't get all-disc brakes for the size and price.
The Harrier is a good car no doubt-but the platform still feels under-utilised compared to its potential for being a competent all-rounder with AWD. I feel that is its true calling and will make it a differentiator amongst the pseudo SUVs.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 8th December 2020 at 07:04.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 08:46   #494
BHPian

Quote:
More pampering for the CAMO !

A glance of gleaming CAMO is all that is required to overcome this hardship.
Congrats on your new Ride!! The Camo color is a very nice addition to the options in my opinion. Better than the all black.

What treatment do they exactly do for the rodent? 3 months is a very short time
Old 8th December 2020, 08:50   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I was in this conundrum a couple of months ago when I was thinking of the Harrier. But then I realised that "road presence" depends in the context. What I perceive as commanding , people may perceive as a problem in many places in say, a city like Pune. That apart, I would have to wonder what are the most redeeming features that command a price premium of about 3.5 lac over say a Seltos/Creta SXO model. In terms of power/weight ratio, maybe the Harrier is superior. But that hardly matters in the practical scenario of the driving cycle that we mostly encounter. Then, the space inside especially in the rear seat is better, to accommodate a 3rd medium-size adult. But just like the Creta, that person won't have an headrest. The rear seat squab for the Creta (to me) felt at par with the Harrier and better than Seltos. The Infotainment system on the Creta/Seltos is superior to the Harrier overall because of the interface and built-in features, and I believe NO aftermarket system can beat the fit-finish and warranty peace-of-mind of the original. In terms of active and passive safety features, the top variants of Seltos/Creta/Harrier are at par. In fact, Harrier doesn't get all-disc brakes for the size and price.
I would say what Venue/Sonet is to Creta/Seltos, it would be similar equation of Creta/Seltos is to Harrier. If you bring in features, then my equation would be top end Sonet/Venue is to mid variant Seltos/Creta and top end Creta/Seltos is to top end Harrier.

There's a good price difference in each of these cases. But the latter cars are one full size bigger in every aspect - space, leg room, seat size, engine size and so on! Each of the above category of cars have their own driving dynamics and performance and hence, they charge the premium.

A Sonet can't be at par with Seltos. Similarly a Seltos/Creta can't be at par with a Harrier.

Quote:
The Harrier is a good car no doubt-but the platform still feels under-utilised compared to its potential for being a competent all-rounder with AWD. I feel that is its true calling and will make it a differentiator amongst the pseudo SUVs.
There's barely any market for 4wd vehicles here. Tata had been providing 4wd options in most of their UVs - Safari, Sumo, Aria/Hexa. Given the low demand, they decided not to invest in developing 4wd for Harrier. Period.

It is for the same reason that crossovers like Creta and Seltos have 4wd variants available in global markets but Hyundai hasn't bothered to launch them here in India. Only CBU/CKDs like Tucson have this option.

Last edited by ashis89 : 8th December 2020 at 08:51.
ashis89 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks