BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
UPDATE - 1
UPDATE - 2

Received the in-transit status of my car via the Sales Advisor-
2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review-img20201221wa0004.jpg

I believe this was just an excuse to call me up since the dealer wants me to pay up. I have not paid anything except the booking amount of INR 100000 as of yet.
Have asked the SA to come to my place tomorrow to collect the cheque. Will pay 50% of the total price tomorrow.

On a positive note, the car is coming before estimated time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does not get delayed. 25th December is a very desirable day.

Stay Strong.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:33   #542
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE - 2

Attachment 2095434

I believe this was just an excuse to call me up since the dealer wants me to pay up. I have not paid anything except the booking amount of INR 100000 as of yet.
Have asked the SA to come to my place tomorrow to collect the cheque. Will pay 50% of the total price tomorrow.

On a positive note, the car is coming before estimated time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does not get delayed. 25th December is a very desirable day.

Stay Strong.
Even if it arrives at the yard on 25th, I doubt if they will deliver it on the same day. In TN they took about 2 days after the full payment from the bank to complete RTO, Insurance formalities. Final cleaning and polishing before the delivery itself need half a day.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:51   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE - 2

Attachment 2095434

Stay Strong.
Why dont you wait to see the car yourself, do the PDI and then pay the rest of the money as a lump sum? God forbid that there is an issue with the car allocated to you, 50% payment will be with the dealer and you will have to wait for a new dispatch from the plant.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:33   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Why dont you wait to see the car yourself, do the PDI and then pay the rest of the money as a lump sum? God forbid that there is an issue with the car allocated to you, 50% payment will be with the dealer and you will have to wait for a new dispatch from the plant.
Thanks for your advice. And yes, that is indeed a possibility. But I'm in a situation where I have to buy a Harrier. This is simply because there is no other alternative to it (in the same price bracket).

In the unfortunate scenario that I find some major issues with the car during PDI, I will have to patiently wait for another new car. It's not like I can take my money back from this dealer and to go another dealer, because estimated delivery time would still be the same.

I did tell my dealer that I would do the full payment after I physically inspect the car. But the dealer requested to do some partial payment as of yet. So I'm just obliging.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:37   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_head View Post
Even if it arrives at the yard on 25th, I doubt if they will deliver it on the same day. In TN they took about 2 days after the full payment from the bank to complete RTO, Insurance formalities. Final cleaning and polishing before the delivery itself need half a day.
I would suggest you hold on to the payment citing various issues like you are out of the city and all. I only paid 30000 as the booking amount and was in the same situation as you are, since I have to get Harrier only and that too as soon as possible due to various other reasons.
Have kept my SA in confidence related to payment. Once the car landed in the warehouse, he shared pictures with me. Next day rushed to the warehouse and did PDI.
Since my loan was having some preliminary issues, I didn't do payment even after PDI for a couple of days and kept procrastinating that Bank will do the entire payment and I have already transferred my share to the Bank. (Share reasons like Bank server is down). Believe me, I delayed all the payments until I was absolutely fine with the vehicle and then some unavoidable delay happened through the bankside since their server was actually down and a higher loan amount requires multiple approvals from Bank officers.

Finally did a complete tranfer of the amount on the morning of D-day. In between dealership did try their antics of allocating my vehicle to someone else and asked me about the payment but you hold your ground and keep your SA in confidence.

P.S: Ping me if you want to know the reasons I used to procrastinate the payment.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:53   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. And yes, that is indeed a possibility. But I'm in a situation where I have to buy a Harrier. This is simply because there is no other alternative to it (in the same price bracket).
I understand. Even I feel that there is no alternative and if I have to buy a vehicle from this price range / segment, it has to be the Harrier automatic.

Since you already have paid the sum of Rs 1,00,000 as your booking amount (as compared to member Highh5 who paid Rs 30,000, for example), I feel that you have already extended support to the dealership in question. At the end of the day, you will still have to pay the whole amount before you take delivery, but its only a question of why do you want to part with more money at this stage, when the Harrier is not yet in front of you. My suggestion was just to err on the side of caution, at least for a few more days. The dealer is not going to allocate it to someone else if you dont pay 50% of the amount today, even if they do suggest it informally, again as High5 has shared above.

P.S - One of my friends recently paid for his new SUV without doing a PDI, due to a paucity of time. When he went to take delivery, the vehicle had a lot of scratches on it and it ruined their experience. He had to escalate and take it up with the company but in the end the dealership did a paintjob and the company provided a paint warranty as well. Had my friend been able to do the PDI, he would not have made the payment and the whole issue could have been avoided.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 22nd December 2020 at 13:56.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:13   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Since you already have paid the sum of Rs 1,00,000 as your booking amount (as compared to member Highh5 who paid Rs 30,000, for example), I feel that you have already extended support to the dealership in question. At the end of the day, you will still have to pay the whole amount before you take delivery, but its only a question of why do you want to part with more money at this stage, when the Harrier is not yet in front of you. My suggestion was just to err on the side of caution, at least for a few more days. The dealer is not going to allocate it to someone else if you dont pay 50% of the amount today, even if they do suggest it informally, again as Highh5 has shared above.
Thanks for your input. I totally get your point. But one major difference between my case and BHPian Highh5's case is that Highh5 is buying the car on loan, and I'm buying the car entirely with cash. Not a rupee of loan. That is the reason why the dealer had asked me to pay the higher booking amount than usual (I've shared my entire experience a few posts before).

And now after so many recommendations, I will definitely not pay 50% of the amount today. Might be a bit lesser. But I will not stall the payment, since I have already given my word.

And regarding your friend's unfortunate experience with his new SUV, it again proves the point how important it is to do PDI personally before buying a new car. I have been in a similar situation (albeit a bit different) as your friend in 2018 when I bought a new car. I had not done the PDI myself (I wasn't a BHPian then). But I didn't make a huge fuss about it since I had got almost 20% discount on the car, and instead got the issue rectified.

But this time, the situation is different. That's why
I would be going to do the PDI before delivery.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:10   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I totally get your point. But one major difference between my case and BHPian Highh5's case is that Highh5 is buying the car on loan, and I'm buying the car entirely with cash. Not a rupee of loan. That is the reason why the dealer had asked me to pay the higher booking amount than usual (I've shared my entire experience a few posts before).
I will give you more reasons then.

1. Tell him that after adding the bank account details, takes 24 hours to get activated (took 30 mins in actual)
2. You can only transfer 50000 in the initial 24 hours and 5 lakh in a day thereafter. (Actually happened with me)
3. Send him a screenshot of the amount you have in your account so that he will be assured of the amount.
4. Normally booking amount is 30000 only, but the 100000 transfer shows your commitment to the dealer.
5. I know it is easier said than done, but at the end of the day these are the tactics used by me. Even though I was making a down payment of only 40% of the total amount from my own pocket which was still significant and definitely hard-earned. So I would suggest you exercise caution rather than feeling bad later on.

However, if you have trust and some good terms with the dealership, then it is a different case altogether.
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:26   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I will give you more reasons then.

...So I would suggest you exercise caution rather than feeling bad later on.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I understand that you are trying to help me. But also please remember (many people misunderstand this part) that the dealership is not running away with the money. They are there to deliver a product. At the end of the day, even the dealer is running a business.

I understand that you want me to be on the safer side as a customer by not parting with my money too soon. I appreciate it. And that is the reason I'm just making partial payment (not even 50%).

I do not run a dealership, but this car purchase falls under micro - level transaction (less than 25 lakhs, manufacturing industry). Common market practice is to pay 50% upfront when order is made (only in micro level transaction). Now that of course is not the case while buying a car.

Also, as I've said before, I've already given my word. I'm not going to back on it. As long as I (or any customer) gets a bill for the money paid and a written delivery time (then it becomes a contract), any customer is safe (since dealer is liable in a breach of contract).

P.S.: Although I appreciate all the "tactics" points of yours, none of them applies to me.
I'm giving the SA a cheque, so transaction limit doesn't apply. Even my bank allows daily transaction limit higher than INR 500000.
And I will not show my bank balance to anyone (especially like an SA) other than my close people. It gives them wrong ideas. And moreover, I already had to provide last month's salary slip (for corporate discount, and as a proof that I earn enough to pay up). So that gives him a good idea that saying that I don't have money is outright lying.

Anyways, he would be coming today late evening. I would make the payment. But definitely less than 50%.
I would keep my status updates.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.
Big Smoke is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 21:03   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, he would be coming today late evening. I would make the payment. But definitely less than 50%.
I would keep my status updates.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.
UPDATE - 3

Just made the partial payment of INR 10,00,000. Big Surprise! SA was expecting a payment of INR 2,00,000! Both of us (SA & myself) were pleasantly surprised, it's just that he expressed his surprise instantly while I didn't.

So total I've paid INR 11,00,000 as of yet.
Outstanding amount = INR 12,00,000.

I just hope that this early money helps me get a very, very positive attitude from my SA (apprehensive because after all it's Tata).
Not that I have had a bitter experience. In fact my experience has been very satisfactory as of yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Further suggestions, guidance and advice are welcome from the forum members.

P.S. Mods, please merge this post along with my previous post. I'm aware that back to back posts aren't allowed. But since I had to post an important update, I had to make this post.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:57   #551
BHPian

I've been following this thread and MG Hector's since the beginning and I must say that the MG Hector is way more sorted and easy to live with car than the Harrier.

It's ridiculous how unreliable Harrier is turning out to be. It's Version 2.0 or the BS6 version was supposed to be niggle free but the only thing it has been consistent in is being inconsistent with the quality.

I have been looking to add another car to my garage for the past year. I wanted to give TATA a chance.

So I guess I'll wait for some more time before finally narrowing down to a choice. Definitely not Harrier though.

Spending 20 big ones on a car is a big deal, at least for me but spending 20 big ones on a car that is going to require attention, pampering and looking after like my girlfriend back in class 9 is beyond imagination.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 20:35. Reason: Political bit deleted
omranga98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:26   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post

It's ridiculous how unreliable Harrier is turning out to be. It's Version 2.0 or the BS6 version was supposed to be niggle free but the only thing it has been consistent in is being inconsistent with the quality.
What reliability issues or niggles are you talking about?Most in this thread has not mentioned any reliability issues with the harrier.
praveen_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:09   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
What reliability issues or niggles are you talking about?Most in this thread has not mentioned any reliability issues with the harrier.
Alright then I guess. Here is what I found out in 15 minutes:

Team-bhp username: Igniteddriver: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (My Tata Harrier : Ownership Review)

Problem faced:

‘Buggy music system (at least until they have a permanent fix or upgrade)’

Team-bhp username: Soji: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-harrier.html (Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier)

Problem faced:

‘I currently own a 2019 Harrier XZ and it has been used by my Dad since a couple of months. So far we have encountered two faults and one instance during which there was no ignition and my parents were stranded on the middle of the road.’

Team-bhp username: DicKy: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-harrier.html (Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier) (4th post)

Problems noticed:

1. Steering mounted buttons sometimes get slightly stuck, another press and they are okay.

2. Infotainment screen (before multiple updates) sometimes freeze, requiring restarting the vehicle for it to come back.

3. Had done a 1400km continuous drive a couple of days before the lockdown. While returning there was a whining sound from the front right wheel area, when accelerating hard. Couldn't replicate it again, and neither my friend nor his father had that sound coming again.

4. The infotainment bezel creaks on touch, especially if you rest your hand on top while operating it.

Team-bhp username: Amandeepkamboj: : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...a-harrier.html (Errors & Niggles in my Tata Harrier) (12th post)

Problems faced:

1. Car moving left, one can say that car always tries to move left. (Not solved completely after multiple visits to the service station. Decided to live with it)

2. Rear parking sensors have a mind of their own. Sometimes they show full reading despite no obstacle behind the car. However, a very dangerous condition, at times it does not beep at all or shows any reading even when the car is about to hit an obstacle.

3. Steering making grinding sound sometimes. Was not able to replicate the same at SVC during first service; hence, no solution provided. (The greased some joints and said that problem will resolve - it still remains.)
Also is disappointed with the service and the methods of the service station people. The mechanics soiled his car, stained his carpet and interior with grease, scratched his interior during installations of an accessory, also got cursed by the mechanic, etc.)

Team-bhp username: greyhound82: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...age-6-a-4.html (Water leakage & electrical issues in my brand new 2020 Tata Harrier. EDIT: Solved (page 6))

Problems faced:

1. Water seepage in co-driver footwell. Almost covered 100kms and called service guys and they told its due to AC drain pipe sealing issue. (Solved)

2. Infotainment system and speedometer console goes off all of a sudden. This happens at least 5 -6 times since the purchase.

3. Ignition Key will not respond always. Happened multiple times in fuel stations.

4. Pulling to Left: complained about this multiple times , multiple wheel alignments and still persists slightly . But decided to live with this

5. Noise coming from brake pads during bumper-to-bumper traffic.
“During my service they soiled my interiors (grease on inside roof and seats) . Went to 3M for a thorough cleaning. The way they clean the car is heart-breaking (uses the soiled cloth (not even a microfiber, an orange cloth you get it on traffic signals) inside out.”
omranga98 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:28   #554
BHPian

While these are issues that ideally should not crop up in Any car. Let us also remember that it is a small percentage of the total ownership reports and it will be the case with every manufacturer.

I did not go with Compass due to my own issues with the neighborhood FIAT dealer having owned a Palio. However the Compass is a good car and a lot of customers have no issues with it. The experience is largely dealership dependent.

We can find posts like this on every brand if we want to find them. However unless it is a issue consistent with a large customer base (KIA braking issues) they should be taking as exceptions rather than the rule.
Bluengel180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 22:37   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
While these are issues that ideally should not crop up in Any car. Let us also remember that it is a small percentage of the total ownership reports and it will be the case with every manufacturer.

I did not go with Compass due to my own issues with the neighborhood FIAT dealer having owned a Palio. However the Compass is a good car and a lot of customers have no issues with it. The experience is largely dealership dependent.

We can find posts like this on every brand if we want to find them. However unless it is a issue consistent with a large customer base (KIA braking issues) they should be taking as exceptions rather than the rule.
I beg to disagree. None of these issues are isolated ones or pertaining to individual dealers. In fact, dealers have actually done a better job at handling them then TATA's QC.

The issues at hand all have to do with the lack of quality control and this I think is absolutely inexcusable on a car whose top end retails at 25L OTR. And since you have mentioned the small customer base on this forum, let me also state that it can be the other way round too. The number of issues on this forum might only be a fraction of the issues being faced by owners. I came across a Harrier with a failed HPS (damaged pump and hoses) on the FB group. In what was another very surprising case, the engine mount on a 2019 car simply sheared off into two pieces clean.

These are issues I don't expect on a 15+L car at all. Hats off to TATA for designing and engineering the Harrier the way they have, I really love the way it looks and the fact that it does something to stand out among a sea of what appears to be bloated hatches and crossovers. But these sort of lapses in quality control is exactly what is uncalled for especially when you have a dodgy reputation and want to regain customer confidence.

And to conclude, it's also prudent to recollect that TATA launched the 2020 Harrier to sort issues out on the 2019. Both these revisions are only a year apart. If the 2020 inspite of being introduced to counter quality issues and improve upon ergonomics and niggles cannot provide a hassle free ownership experience and this is the best TATA can do, god save them in the 15+L category.
vishy76 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks