Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2022, 11:52   #3121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I feel my Brake pedal jerk/vibrate when braking on offroad/rough or Muddy sections.

Is it normal or another niggle? Mine is a Diesel AT.
Already have brake pedal hardening issue after parking overnight. Is it related to that issue? Brake booster issue?
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 12:14   #3122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I feel my Brake pedal jerk/vibrate when braking on offroad/rough or Muddy sections.

Already have brake pedal hardening issue after parking overnight. Is it related to that issue? Brake booster issue?
Was it hard braking? Could it be ABS kicking in when it detects wheel lockup?

I guess even my Thar doesn't hold vacuum overnight, but that has not impacted braking - I've had some near misses, high-speed to stand-still braking - and my confidence on the brakes have only increased!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 12:21   #3123
BHPian

Quote:

I too have been facing the same issue of vibrations from the brake pedal at times and screeching noise from the pedal during normal braking especially while braking at very slow speeds. Also the sound is loud and clear when HDC is active. Service guys got no clue and I left it as it is as braking is working as normal as it should till now. Please do let us know if any one else is facing the same issue like mine.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 12:33   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Also the sound is loud and clear when HDC is active.
Oh man! This sound is scary when I used HDC for the first time. It's like somebody scratching a glass with bare nails. Haven't asked ASC since I think they won't have any solution for this. Since it's happening with others too it probably would be normal.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 13:48   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Was it hard braking? Could it be ABS kicking in when it detects wheel lockup?

I guess even my Thar doesn't hold vacuum overnight, but that has not impacted braking - I've had some near misses, high-speed to stand-still braking - and my confidence on the brakes have only increased!
My Brake pedal sometimes has good travel (less than with the engine running obviously) when pressed after overnight parking, but that is rare. Mostly it is hard after overnight parking. Now I have left stressing on this issue. I just unlock the Thar, open the door, insert the key and start the car, idle it for 3-4 mins and get up and drive off.

Braking is absolutely fine though.
The pedal jerk is felt when I braked on a gravel and mud road from around 20 kmph.
On-road braking performance is good enough for a heavy BOF vehicle like the Thar

Vacuum loss overnight in your case as well? How did you noticed that? Its a normal thing on the Thar that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I too have been facing the same issue of vibrations from the brake pedal at times and screeching noise from the pedal during normal braking especially while braking at very slow speeds. Also the sound is loud and clear when HDC is active. Service guys got no clue and I left it as it is as braking is working as normal as it should till now. Please do let us know if any one else is facing the same issue like mine.
Maybe it is the same issue in my Thar. And for sure, the service center guys will not have any clue what is happening

Last edited by dr_TJ : 17th April 2022 at 13:51.
Old 18th April 2022, 11:22   #3126
BHPian

Does this thread have any posts from the point of view of a lady driver? We are considering Thar Automatic as a daily driver for my Wife. Would like to hear more on how easy/difficult it is to drive in B2B traffic in Bangalore. She currently drives a grand i10 auto.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 20:43   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Does this thread have any posts from the point of view of a lady driver? We are considering Thar Automatic as a daily driver for my Wife. Would like to hear more on how easy/difficult it is to drive in B2B traffic in Bangalore. She currently drives a grand i10 auto.
My wife drives our LX Petrol AT CT more than I do, on an almost daily basis, albeit in moderate traffic. She is super comfortable with it, no issues at all. Infact, the high seating position offers a superb view of the road, adding to the ease of driving, not to mention the respect it commands from other vehicles. Please have ma'am take a test drive in city traffic - I am sure she will take an instant liking to it.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 22:20   #3128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
My dealer confirmed to me today that Mahindra has increased prices on Thar and that he can share the updated pricelist by tomorrow. I feel slowly but surely thar is becoming too overpriced (compared to its launch price) and the lack of basic features like front armrest, climate control, and auto folding mirrors at such prices is only decreasing its value quotient. Thar seems to be going the Wrangler way (In US too, i feel Wrangler is priced way too much for what it offers)
Link to price hike news: [url="https://www.carwale.com/news/mahindra-hikes-prices-by-25-per-cent-across-its-model-range/"]https://www.carwale.com/news/mahindra-hikes-prices-by-25-per-cent-across-its-model-range/
Name:  3296EDB909E74693A2C89C4D290227A7.jpeg
Views: 1367
Size:  116.3 KB

Continuing my last post, sharing the increased exshowroom prices. Diesels see the maximum increase especially for the convertible versions!
AMG1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 22:47   #3129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post

Continuing my last post, sharing the increased exshowroom prices. Diesels see the maximum increase especially for the convertible versions!
It sure is an appreciating asset. Haha. Bought mine for 13.55 last April and it's for 15.75 this April. That is quite a gain!
navpreet318 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:58   #3130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not from a woman's POV, but the Thar is an excellent city car, especially in a city like Bangalore which is always under construction. I have been driving a Diesel AT for the past month and found it very comfortable to drive in heavy traffic or narrow bylanes. Apart from great visibility, one doesn't have to bother with small potholes, construction debris, speed breakers, etc. Being shorter in length, parking is also easy. Again due to better all-round visibility and height, one can park very close to the curb and not worry about the door hitting the footpath etc. The Thar replaced my Polo GT TSI and for a city drive, I'd pick the Thar any day.
Jaguar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 12:04   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
It sure is an appreciating asset. Haha. Bought mine for 13.55 last April and it's for 15.75 this April. That is quite a gain!
Bet it is! 16+% appreciation in less than 18 months!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-prices-exshowroom.png

My LX D CT AT was 16.47 on-road in Nov 2020 - it is an eye-watering 15.94 ex-showroom now. If I were to buy my Thar again, I would be paying 19.25 lakhs on-road here 20+ OTR prices in KA?!!!

And looks like my variant has the highest price increase from launch, 16.8% - comparatively, the Diesel manual variants seem to be more "VFM" with the least price hike.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-price-increase-percent.png

While the earlier price hikes were more on the AT variants, the current price hike impacts the base AX's Diesel CT the most - almost 7% in 2022. The hike is also relatively lower for the AT variants - all other variants have seen the highest % hike since launch, while the Jul '21 was the highest % hike for the AT variants.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-price-diff-base.png

This gives an interesting view of how the inter-variant price difference has changes along with the price hike. The LX Diesel manual variants have almost similar price differential vs. lowest priced variant, AX Petrol MT CT. LX Petrol MT HT seems to be a distant second in terms of comparative price difference vs. base, at close to 17%. All other variants are at least 33% higher vs. the base variant when compared to launch prices.

While the last two hikes maintained the same difference from base among the AX variants, this hike has targeted the AX Diesel MT CT the most - it is now has a 76% higher price difference vs. the base variant when compared to launch (or the last 2 hikes).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-prices-exfactory.png

While at it, I also compared the ex-factory prices. It is the 28% GST and 20% Cess that is adding up to the ex-showroom - all manual variants are under 10 lakhs ex-factory! Those among us who already shed a tear of blood on taxation, here's more hemoglobin for you

EDIT - Updated tables with approx Jan '22 price increase.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 19th April 2022 at 12:30.
ph03n!x is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 15:40   #3132
BHPian

Price hike is happening across all brands it seems.
That in turn has jacked up the prices of pre-owned cars as well.

By the way,
Question/inputs from other Thar AT owners.
Do you guys also have some amount of vacuum leak, I mean as in, the brake pedal is hard to press after parking the car for 10-12 hours? Provided One doesn't press the pedal with the engine off before parking it overnight.

I got a call from the Mahindra customer manager and they say it is more or less a normal behavior.
Sadly, I don't have access to any Thar AT here to cross check.
Old 21st April 2022, 06:55   #3133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Between Swastik, Prad, Bimbra, Azad, etc is there any consensus on which is a better Underbody protection? I use my thar on trails, rocks, slush, if that helps.
I found Arka to be the better of all. Well engineered with quality aircraft grade aluminum with no compromise on thickness. Arka knows it's stuff and their after sales support is awesome! Kudos to Mr. LeelaKrishnan!

Note: I'm no way related to Arka or Leela, just a happy customer
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:04   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

By the way,
Question/inputs from other Thar AT owners.
Do you guys also have some amount of vacuum leak, I mean as in, the brake pedal is hard to press after parking the car for 10-12 hours? Provided One doesn't press the pedal with the engine off before parking it overnight.

I got a call from the Mahindra customer manager and they say it is more or less a normal behavior.
Sadly, I don't have access to any Thar AT here to cross check.
I drive a D-AT. The car only gets driven maybe once a week or once every two weeks.

I have no such issues with my brake pedal.

Mine's a Dec 2021 registered, manufactured Oct 2021, if that makes any difference.

Just an FYI.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:17   #3135
BHPian

Quote:
My wife has been driving our Petrol AT daily for school runs since a month or so now. She is quite fine and kids don't complain either. A point to note would be that she is quite used to SUVs as she used our Terrano daily and has driven the Hexa AT before.
bhargav_dave is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks