Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 18:37   #1726
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier 1.5L turbo-petrol might be coming

Something interesting or rather shocking I found about the new Safari and Harrier today. As per a Tata Safari Adventure Persona owner, the Safari and Harrier DO NOT get a tow hook at the rear!! Although the cars do get one at the front, it has been covered by a plastic cover and unscrewing it is a task in itself.
Attaching the video link below-

The more I know about the Harrier duo, the more I start questioning their engineers! Keeping the no crash test rating controversy and the hazardous reliability aside, how can Tata skip on such a basic thing??

Any Safari or Harrier owner who has found a tow hook at the rear of their cars?
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 20:47   #1727
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Cruiser View Post
To all Delhi NCR folks - is the dark edition on display anywhere in Delhi NCR?
I confirmed me with my local dealer (SAB Motors, Ghaziabad) and they were expecting a car soon. I have asked them to confirm when they get it as I also want to check it out personally before I take the plunge.

Once I hear back, I would also update the thread as well.

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:06   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post
Something interesting or rather shocking I found about the new Safari and Harrier today. As per a Tata Safari Adventure Persona owner, the Safari and Harrier DO NOT get a tow hook at the rear!! Although the cars do get one at the front, it has been covered by a plastic cover and unscrewing it is a task in itself.
Attaching the video link below-

No tow hook at the rear of Tata Safari and Harrier

Any Safari or Harrier owner who has found a tow hook at the rear of their cars?
This is as per Harrier's manual - " Recommended towing - In case of break down, we recommend that your vehicle be towed with the driving wheels off the ground or place the vehicle on a flatbed truck as shown.
WARNING
 Never tow your vehicle with the front wheels on the ground or four wheels on the ground (forward or backward), as this may cause serious damage to the transmission."
Metallicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:19   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
 Never tow your vehicle with the front wheels on the ground or four wheels on the ground (forward or backward), as this may cause serious damage to the transmission."
The tow hook is not only for breakdown scenarios, but also for recovery scenarios. In case of stuck vehicles, for example in loose mud or in a ditch, having towhooks at both ends is very beneficial. There are cases where the front tow hook may not even be accessible. If it does not have a rear tow hook, then it is a serious miss.
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:36   #1730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The tow hook is not only for breakdown scenarios, but also for recovery scenarios. In case of stuck vehicles, for example in loose mud or in a ditch, having towhooks at both ends is very beneficial. There are cases where the front tow hook may not even be accessible. If it does not have a rear tow hook, then it is a serious miss.
Not many owners would have seen this vehicle up on the lift , I happened to give it a good look while washing.

Towing from the rear end is possible though, just need to put a strap around the torsion beam and pull away, some care needs to be taken so that the angle of the pull does not damage the bumper.

The absence of tow hook and the presence of quite a bit of empty space underneath in the rear end must be due to value engineering of the euro spec platform for Indian market, some things like braked trailer towing capacity is not needed in here.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:42   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Use the subframe. I don't see any rear tow hooks.
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:38   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Finally the worry comes true with a Grand Collateral Damage.

Bridgestone has declined any Warranty Claims.
One more thing to highlight:

This is a crack not a burst. The tyre is still holding the pressure 34 PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Was this the front tyres or the rear?

I first saw this size tyre on XUV5OO later models, even after so many years there aren't many options for this size and they are very expensive too.
It is the Right Front Tyre.

Yes, been knowing this tyre size since long. We bought my Friends XUV500 at its launch time from first factory lot landed at dealership, sad to say, experience has been dismal in these 10+ years. XUV500 started coming with this size later on. Just wish Tata did not tow the line.

On another note, sadly Yokohama Geolandar G015 A/T doesn't come in this size in India but is offered abroad.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=36HR8G015XL
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 13:31   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Cruiser View Post
To all Delhi NCR folks - is the dark edition on display anywhere in Delhi NCR?
I was at the yard to inspect my XZA and I saw this dark edition standing next to my car.

Trust me it is really awesome and we all had second thoughts on our choice - its too late for us to move to dark one now.

Most likely dealer will put one on display at showroom or should be available at yard. Please contact ZedEx mobility, gurgaon.
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:22   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
As per a Tata Safari Adventure Persona owner, the Safari and Harrier DO NOT get a tow hook at the rear!!
Interesting observation and I have a curious question; I know true blue SUVs (especially the offroaders) have rear tow hooks. But how many passenger cars have rear tow hooks? Does the Innova have one?
Old 23rd January 2022, 14:41   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Interesting observation and I have a curious question; I know true blue SUVs (especially the offroaders) have rear tow hooks. But how many passenger cars have rear tow hooks? Does the Innova have one?
Crysta does have one I think. Pictures from the Crysta official review are below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-crysta-35.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/201...-crysta-42.jpg
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:07   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2021 Tata Safari Review-wp_20160219_001.jpg

There you are, Innova Gen 1 Type I, it always had at Rear Left Side, my rear guard is obstructing the view a bit.

It turned out immensely useful when one of our Innovas got stuck in overflowing Nalah while returning from Pangong Tso and we fortunately had a towing cable with us.

Last edited by parsh : 23rd January 2022 at 15:10. Reason: Spelling correction and more details
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 15:18   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
This is as per Harrier's manual - " Recommended towing - In case of break down, we recommend that your vehicle be towed with the driving wheels off the ground or place the vehicle on a flatbed truck as shown.
"
Well that makes no sense! What are we gonna do in case of a front collision or if the car is stuck at a place where towing from rear is the only option??

Quote:
WARNING
 Never tow your vehicle with the front wheels on the ground or four wheels on the ground (forward or backward), as this may cause serious damage to the transmission.
So if the driving wheels are supposed to be in air, how are people supposed to tow a 4WD car?? Use a helicopter?? Makes no sense

Quote:
Exactly! And since the Harrier Duo are SUVs, people are going to try going offroad and might end up stuck where the car would need to have tow hooks on both ends.

Quote:
Well, I haven't observed in proper SUVs, but both of my cars (2015 Dzire and 2016 City) have them. A quick search through random Team-BHP car reviews tell that many passenger cars including the 2017 Dzire, the 2021 Celerio and many others get it.
And yes, the Innova Crysta also comes with it!

Missing out on such an important basic thing in a big SUV is definitely disappointing when even cheap hatchbacks with ton of cost cutting have them!
theAutomaniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 16:10   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Well that makes no sense! What are we gonna do in case of a front collision or if the car is stuck at a place where towing from rear is the only option??

So if the driving wheels are supposed to be in air, how are people supposed to tow a 4WD car?? Use a helicopter?? Makes no sense
If you can afford a helicopter then that is the best. Otherwise you have the option of flatbed, another option is a tow truck with a trolley. You can't tow a 4WD normally.

And for rear tow hook....just use the subframe.
Attached Images

Metallicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:12   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Use the subframe. I don't see any rear tow hooks.
Quote:
If you can afford a helicopter then that is the best. Otherwise you have the option of flatbed, another option is a tow truck with a trolley. You can't tow a 4WD normally.

And for rear tow hook....just use the subframe.
I have not observed a subframe in the rear end of this vehicle, since all variants use the same suspension, I don't think it is required. Front end has an engine cradle/subframe.

4WD vehicles with a transfer case can be towed flat with all 4 wheels on the ground.
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:20   #1740
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I don't understand the reason why it's considered a taboo to let a towed car roll on its driven wheels ? As long as it's in neutral, what difference does it make ?

Most Viewed