Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2022, 16:45   #2431
GST
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by trehansid View Post
Ex Innova owner here..

Thanks for all the feedback shared, i absolutely fail to understand that why are we not boycotting TATA vehicle. The reviews shared instilled a pain & mental agony of another level. It would feel extremely suffocating to go through all these issues.

Thanks everyone for sharing what you did.
I was also on the verge of signing purchase documents for Harrier XMAS (in stock without any noticeable issues with it. But a couple of matters that came up along the way while dealing with the sales advisor stopped me from going ahead:

1. Kept insisting on their insurance (quoted 1.3L vs about 65K outside, in fact close to 50K after NCB). The sales guy never accepted that I can claim 35% NCB, and kept ranting that NCB applies only in case of renewal of insurance on an old car. Also, said that they won't sell the car with outside insurance.

2. Exchange bonus, said it will happen only if I sold my car to them. I may be wrong but I guess as long as I am selling my old car and buying a new one I can claim the exchange bonus- if any- from the manufacturer.

My feeling was that if the guy is making up things left and right while selling the car, in case of serious issues I would be at their mercy or at my wit's end from having to deal with them in a long-term back and forth. Given the number of people suffering from these TATA vehicles, I gave up on this.

Many toppling incidents of Nexon and harrier also greatly influenced my decision. An added sore point was a very poor NVH level in Harrier.

At the moment I am waiting for Nissan Qashqai, and if it doesn't work then I might as well purchase a 15-20 L range pre-owned higher segment car keeping enough money aside for their upkeep. A Nissan will hopefully be of fill-and-forget type, but pre-owned ones might have niggles and will definitely have maintenance issues. In both cases hopefully I will get a better ride and equally commendable safety.
Old 26th December 2022, 20:29   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
1. Kept insisting on their insurance (quoted 1.3L vs about 65K outside, in fact close to 50K after NCB). The sales guy never accepted that I can claim 35% NCB, and kept ranting that NCB applies only in case of renewal of insurance on an old car. Also, said that they won't sell the car with outside insurance.

2. Exchange bonus, said it will happen only if I sold my car to them. I may be wrong but I guess as long as I am selling my old car and buying a new one I can claim the exchange bonus- if any- from the manufacturer.
1. That is the usual bullshit and you are correct here. Get them to match your insurance or tell them the sale is off

2. You are wrong here. Exchange bonus is only applicable on selling your old car to the dealership. However, you will get a better price for it if you just sell your car yourself to a buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
How is your experience on ride quality front? Can you provide some comparison between BOF Innova vs Monocoque Safari? In my experience of Innova Crysta, it isolates bad or no roads very well.
I have test driven both the Innova crysta and Safari back to back. The safari surprisingly has noticeably better ride quality than the Crysta. I have booked the innova hycross now with hope that the ride and handling has improved by transitioning to monocoque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Innova (and hence Crysta with literally same chassis and its build) is more SUV than any of new age wannabe Monococqe SUVs there, including Safari 2021, with the first hand experiences of Innova, Safari, Safari 2021, XUV500, XUV700.
Mate, it's just an MPV. Old cars used to be body on frame too, that doesn't mean they were SUVs either.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2022 at 05:28. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 23:51   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I have test driven both the Innova crysta and Safari back to back. The safari surprisingly has noticeably better ride quality than the Crysta. I have booked the innova hycross now with hope that the ride and handling has improved by transitioning to monocoque.
Yes low speed ride of Safari is very good , even with no one in the back seat it has a hunkered down feel to it , almost like a sedan. You'd be instantly impressed.

Crysta is consistent over changing road surface as well as higher speeds, it's rear suspension is much better however a bit stiffer than older Innova to improve driving dynamics and high speed manners. Overall Crysta is far more consistent at ride and handling too despite being BOF.
Old 27th December 2022, 02:13   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Yes low speed ride of Safari is very good , even with no one in the back seat it has a hunkered down feel to it , almost like a sedan. You'd be instantly impressed.

Crysta is consistent over changing road surface as well as higher speeds, it's rear suspension is much better however a bit stiffer than older Innova to improve driving dynamics and high speed manners. Overall Crysta is far more consistent at ride and handling too despite being BOF.

I took the safari all the way to 140 and was very impressed with the ride quality and comfort. Handling is poor though so I wouldn't recommend it. The steering is weirdly sensitive even at 90 and any kind of fast maneuvers would lead to overshooting the road.

Crysta felt worse than the older Innova in terms of ride quality and the steering feels like it would jerk out of your hand over bad roads. I felt every bump and I found myself slowing down more often. It's a generation old and it feels that way. But it won't leave you stranded on the road nor will you have any problems with service centers.

If Tata can fix the steering and reliability issues, they would have had a clear winner. But they didn't and now Toyota will launch the hycross which has all the improvements of a modern platform that Mahindra and Tata have been enjoying the past year.
Old 27th December 2022, 22:43   #2435
Senior - BHPian

The various modes have been consistently returning very nice figures on decent highway runs, to Karnal, Panipat and other places. Deliberately been checking with controlled speeds. One such today's sample from Karnal drive in City Mode

2021 Tata Safari Review-img20221227wa0008.jpg

No other issues so far other than ICE. Just hope Tata offers reasonable replacement to pre-facelift customers with the upcoming facelift and relieves the pain of pre-facelift customers for both Harrier and Safari. Both city and highway manners and maneuvering absolutely sorted, sedan like.

On a side note, it seems it has been quite a sensual and amusing read lately to see quite a few hilarious bits thrown in on various aspects. Pretty good read, light hearted deviation from the serious auto-mechanical blabbering, good to know the depth and spread of knowledge and mis/conceptions.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 17:25   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negi15 View Post
Hi abacusv,
Did you get the issue resolved? What is the solution offered? I don't have such issue at 2K ODO, but second row seat cover back side bottom seems to be going towards condition shown in your snap. It seems back seat cover area which frequently comes in contact of luggage or persons starts becoming rough. May be better approach would be if it could be laminated. Tata has cut some cost there. They could have given it leatherette finishing similar to first row seat back cover as 3rd row is pretty much usable in safari.
The seat issue is not resolved yet. It seems they are rejecting the claim quoting that its a damage caused by some object placed on it. Which is really false. I'm really disappointed with this and want to take it up to what ever level possible. If it was due to object, both seats should have same damage, or some part of the seat should have damage, but this is entire back cover including the place where its not possible to have any contact has peeled off like this. For me it feels like the vendor ran short of cloth and put some low standard that he could get at that time.
I checked other Dark edition model and also other variants, none have this issue and the texture thickness is clearly different from this damaged piece compared to other. Lets see how it goes.
Old 4th January 2023, 17:27   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
I just finished 2nd service with 6500 ODO. I could have waited till 7K but somehow thought it was 6k-7k service due. No major complains but I had a suspension noise coming out of right front wheel occasionally. SA said its a common issue due to power steering and said is fixed.
Just an update on this. The suspension noise returned after few drives and the SA was pushing for rework until next visit related to the seat cover issue. I finally decided to get it rectified and not link to other work. They now say suspension needs to be replaced under warranty. They have ordered for replacement.
Old 5th January 2023, 23:35   #2438
BHPian

Hello all,

I have a 2022 Model Safari XZA+ about five months old. Running perfectly apart from a few initial glitches, which was taken care of by the Service centre.

Just wanted to inquire about something- The HVAC system- while the air conditioner worked perfectly well to chill in those hot days, now that it's pretty cold here, the heating doesn't seem to work well.

I noticed this a month or so ago, but thought it was because the engine wasn't properly warmed up in my short drive but today it was cold and I was driving for the better part of three hours. Kept trying the heater, even to max setting and got faintly warm air from the vents.

Yes I double checked that the A/C switch was off.

Most other cars, once the engine has properly warmed up and you put the blower in Max Hot settings, you almost get toasted by the hot air. Not so in my new Safari.

Anybody got any ideas why?
Old 6th January 2023, 00:08   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

Most other cars, once the engine has properly warmed up and you put the blower in Max Hot settings, you almost get toasted by the hot air. Not so in my new Safari.

Auto mode usually works well in cold weather, Ideally you should be setting the temperature at say 22 Degrees and let the 'Auto' mode do its job, the system will decide if the AC should be on or not, where the air needs to be directed etc.

Try it once and see how it goes.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 00:19   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Hello all,

I have a 2022 Model Safari XZA+ about five months old.

the heating doesn't seem to work well.

The heating works very well in mine.
Just keep the AC system in automatic climate control mode and set a comfortable temperature and you should be all set.

I am not sure what you meant by saying you made sure 'AC was off'. I would think your AC should be ON, with temperature set to 25 or so, for example.

Mine is XZA+ KZR bought in August 2022.
sparameswaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 00:33   #2441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trehansid View Post
Ex Innova owner here, who was this close to buying the Safari dark edition in the last 3days. Thanks to the negotiations that kept on going and that i was not able to pull the trigger.

And i finally sit clueless of the direction i should take tomorrow while helplessly astonished at the lack of a decent vehicle to suffice our needs.

Innova was such a huge huge - peace of mind and trust, even if not close to an suv. What a heartache and a situation to be in after being compelled to sell it due to age restrictions.

Thanks everyone for sharing what you did.
Hello,

Even I am an Ex Innova owner who bought the Hexa XTA in 2018 and now the Safari Automatic in 2022.

Yes, there were a lot of niggling issues initially in the Harrier and Safaris but most of the bigger issues seem to have been resolved.

Oh and unlike the Tata Sales team who don't make a customer feel "special" enough like the Hyundai and Toyota sales staff (this never bothered me), I found the Tata Service centre to be exemplary! At least the one that I bought my cars from- Lexican Motors, Siliguri.

My Safari had harsh rattling noise coming from the gearbox within a month of purchasing it. Checked and found that the thread on the gearbox housing where one of the bolts that connects the Gearbox to the Chassis had slipped.

I was quite alarmed but managed to fix it with a longer bolt and later on applied a adhesive to fix it permanently and it was actually problem solved.

But the Service Manager at Lexican insisted on taking pictures of the gearbox housing fault and reporting it to Tata.
Within a few days, I got a call from some higher ups in Tata motors, Eastern sector who assured me that they had greenlighted a new Gearbox for me.

This automatic gearbox came in a proper sealed crate and the price was ₹4,93,884. They called me next week, once the gearbox arrived, installed the new box, fresh from the crate and sent me on my way. No drama, no fuss. I was delighted.

I had a very good experience from them in my previous vehicle- the Hexa also- that gave me confidence to buy yet another Tata vehicle.

I guess, it's important to find a good service centre and I just happened to get lucky.

This is very different from Ford and Toyota, both cars I've owned where it's very difficult to convince them to replace anything under warranty. IF anything goes wrong, they insist it's the fault of the driver and not covered under warranty.

This trend is very similar in motorcycles too. Our Desi Royal Enfield have very good service and have no problems replacing parts under warranty ( I should know, I blew up a Classic 500's brand new engine on the ride home - 140kms from the showroom. I couldn't resist racing with other bikes and promptly ended up reaching my town with white smoke billowing from my exhaust)

Totally my fault. And the service people promptly put in a complete new Engine block, piston, rings- the works, no question asked.

Whereas the Kawasaki folks charged me extra for the most minor stuffs like cloth for cleaning after wash etc.

I digress, but the point is, do not get disheartened by horror stories you may hear of a particular brand or the purchase experience not meeting your expectations.

If the vehicle overall is sturdy and basics like engine, gearbox etc are proven -like our Safari and Harrier twins, all you need is a good extended warranty and a good service station. You're good after that.

Thank you. I'll try it. Never thought of using the Auto mode.
Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th February 2023 at 21:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 00:56   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Question to owners on this forum:

1. How stable is Android Auto in Safari?
2. How stable is Apple Carplay in Safari?
3. Does either of them work without any major issues when connected with wire? Or is it just wireless?

I will be moving back to India next month and trying to finalize a good 7 seater. Looking at either XUV7OO or Tata Safari. Tata has some new updates with a new infotainment, new instrument cluster, 360 camera and ADAS.

Hoping to take a wise decision, before plonking ~3 million. Of course, will be test driving them before going ahead with the booking.
Old 12th January 2023, 18:17   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Question to owners on this forum:

1. How stable is Android Auto in Safari?
2. How stable is Apple Carplay in Safari?
3. Does either of them work without any major issues when connected with wire? Or is it just wireless?
Hello.

1. Not using android auto that much. But has worked well when I tried it
2 and 3. Apple Carplay works well in wireless and wired modes. In my past ~10 months of ownership there have been at max 5 times of Carplay not connecting or responding. Wireless carplay connects in seconds after the car is turned on.

On another note, just saw that Harrier and Safari dark edition with red seats unveiled in the auto expo. It has ADAS, new infotainment system and instrument cluster. In my opinion, it would be wise to wait for this, since such changes will come to all models soon. Another note- new things generally takes time to mature, so stability could be a question mark before a couple of software updates. Hope this helps.
Old 12th January 2023, 19:07   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hello.

1. Not using android auto that much. But has worked well when I tried it
2 and 3. Apple Carplay works well in wireless and wired modes. In my past ~10 months of ownership there have been at max 5 times of Carplay not connecting or responding. Wireless carplay connects in seconds after the car is turned on.

On another note, just saw that Harrier and Safari dark edition with red seats unveiled in the auto expo. It has ADAS, new infotainment system and instrument cluster. In my opinion, it would be wise to wait for this, since such changes will come to all models soon. Another note- new things generally takes time to mature, so stability could be a question mark before a couple of software updates. Hope this helps.
Thanks buddy, this is promising to hear. I am an iPhone User and was looking for a stable carplay integration. Anyway, I am couple of months away from buying a car, so will definitely wait for the facelift with new changes. At least, there is a hope that Tata will handle the carplay integration with the new infotainment, unlike Mahindra.

And there is no mention of adaptive cruise control on the Tata's, hope they bring it on by the time of facelift.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 13:51   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Thanks buddy, this is promising to hear. I am an iPhone User and was looking for a stable carplay integration. Anyway, I am couple of months away from buying a car, so will definitely wait for the facelift with new changes. At least, there is a hope that Tata will handle the carplay integration with the new infotainment, unlike Mahindra.
Adding here that my ownership experience has not been smooth. I would request you to check the below thread which I created.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...s-support.html (Issues in my 5-month old Tata Safari | Terrible after-sales support)
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks