Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 23:22   #2371
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsingh View Post
Hope this helps
That was very helpful!
Shall try the pressure gauge system you suggested.
Thank you so much!
Old 28th October 2022, 11:58   #2372
BHPian

Just to update all had a Look at the ECU Update Software of Tata Safari ; Safari ECU/OBD is already having provision for Driver Drowsiness Unit; it is just not provided; hence what might seem like a major update is already provisioned for back when Safari was launched.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:50   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
Just to update all had a Look at the ECU Update Software of Tata Safari ; Safari ECU/OBD is already having provision for Driver Drowsiness Unit; it is just not provided; hence what might seem like a major update is already provisioned for back when Safari was launched.
Isnt Driver Drowsiness alert already available? I regularly get the coffee symbol with "Take a break" message.

Is the driver drowsiness feature which is getting publicized with Jet edition something different?
Old 29th October 2022, 09:23   #2374
BHPian

Hi,
Has anyone faced audio output issues after upgrading ECU s/w to 18.1.7 version? After upgrading, I see that the rear speakers audio output is significantly less than the front speakers. Also the thump in the bass is gone, leading to mediocre audio quality. I used to enjoy the audio set up in my car before this.
Please let me know if anyone has faced similar issues and is there an easy option to downgrade the ECU version?
Old 31st October 2022, 20:30   #2375
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
I am seeing significant difference in the tyre pressure displayed by the TPMS, compared to the pressure at the time of filling air.

I used to fill tyre pressure of 33 as recommended. But I thought the pressure is coming down to 30-31 withing about 3 weeks, so let me fill a little more. I asked for tyre pressure of 35 psi today. So the guy did exactly that.

But when I switched on the engine, TPMS was showing air pressure of 39
Quote:
I have faced similar dilemma with the TPMS of my one year old Safari XZA+. I tried getting air filled at different petrol pumps in the city, and found that there was wide variance in their respective gauges, as well as vide variance vis-a-vis the reading indicated in the TPMS of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hope, you have filled air when tyre is in cold state. when we fill air after some kms of drive, tyre becomes hot and air inside as well, hence always shows higher PSI than actual.
Better way is to check while tyre is cold and same petrol bunk or tyre shop whenever possible as most of the bunks will not have their air pressure machine calibrated properly.
Mostly 39 PSI will be reduced after some rest to your car and tyre will be turned normal.
Today I went to a Bridgestone authorised tyre reseller to replace a tyre in my Safari. The tyre had a cut and I was replacing it under warranty.

The tyre reseller set the air pressure at 33 PSI. It was an analog unit so it must be 31-35 PSI. But I'm pretty sure the machines are well calibrated given his set-up.

So my use case (cold tyre, professionally calibrated air pump) would be the best to confirm the TPMS reading vis-a-vis the actual pressure in the tyre - On starting the car, the TPMS showed 31 PSI for the replaced tyre slot (it was actually the old reading before I replaced the tyre) and in a few minutes the TPMS showed 38 PSI . So that explains the difference in actual pressure vs TPMS value. BTW its monsoon in Chennai and the temperature was around 27 C at that time.
Old 31st October 2022, 21:46   #2376
BHPian

Quote:

As a solution to the tyre pressure confusion, I have purchased a sturdy hand-held manual tyre pressure monitor. It has given me a lot of peace of mind, as it is quite accurate and its reading is very close to what the TPMS of Safari indicates. I suggest that you may also invest in a hand-held device. I got mine for less than Rs 700/- from Amazon. The make is Karter (pic attached below). There is a wide choice available in the market.

Hope this helps
Exactly what I did! Got a handy digital tyre pressure gauge with LED display(helpful in dark). I am not sure whether it is accurate or not, but its readings matches with readings shown by TPMS on MID, when tyres are cold.
So, after top-up at air pressure pump, I use this gauge to monitor tyres in cold state and get it my desired levels i.e 33psi
Old 31st October 2022, 22:31   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
So my use case (cold tyre, professionally calibrated air pump) would be the best to confirm the TPMS reading vis-a-vis the actual pressure in the tyre - On starting the car, the TPMS showed 31 PSI for the replaced tyre slot (it was actually the old reading before I replaced the tyre) and in a few minutes the TPMS showed 38 PSI . So that explains the difference in actual pressure vs TPMS value. BTW its monsoon in Chennai and the temperature was around 27 C at that time.
I used to fill diesel in a bunk near my condo and tyre air pressure checks too. it's always same reading both in Air Pressure machine and TPMS. but it differs, if I try different bunks.
I simply switch on the car and check TPMS and fill till 33 PSI reading in TPMS. riding is good, if we have 33 PSI in TPMS and FE is also good so far.
while traveling, I use my 12V TVS portable tyre inflator and cross verify TPMS and tyre inflator.
so just try to keep 33 PSI in TPMS. but no harm in +/- 3 PSI.
Old 4th November 2022, 20:07   #2378
BHPian

Learned couple of valuable things about TPMS & Topping up of Tyre Pressure today:

I had reported difference between the tyre pressure gauge at a fuel pump Vs TPMS on my safari in my post. Since the car was expected to be idle for couple of weeks, i did not bother to reduce the tyre pressure or check it immediately. Yesterday when I checked, the pressures were 38psi in all 4 tyres. But today morning, after a quick trip to Chennai and back, I noticed that the pressure in one of the tyres was 31. It was the same tyre which had a puncture about a month back. Went to my regular wheel alignment / tyre case shop and there was another puncture in the tyre (another screw) and it was repaired.

At the same time, i told them about the discrepancy when i filled air from the fuel shop. The pressure gauge (air inflator) at the wheel alignment shop showed exactly the same pressure TPMS was showing - 38psi on 3 tyres and 31psi in the punctured tyre. After puncture repair air pressure was set to 35psi in all 4 tyres and now TPMS too is showing 35 in all tyres!

Lessons learned:
-TPMS is useful in detecting a puncture, even when there is no apparent reason to suspect one. I found the puncture only because of low pressure displayed on TPMS. Even when i checked on the tyre, it did not appear that the pressure was low (on visual checking, manual pressure). I am supposed to leave on a 500kms trip in a day's time with my elderly parents and this saved me from trouble, i think. TPMS gets my

-Air pressure displayed at fuel stations can be very erroneous. No more topping up air from fuel stations for me. It is going to be a wheel alignment or a tyre care shop from now on.

-TPMS in my car seems to be well calibrated and showing accurate measurement

Quote:
I am seeing significant difference in the tyre pressure displayed by the TPMS, compared to the pressure at the time of filling air.
Quote:
Dear sparameswaran, I have faced similar dilemma with the TPMS of my one year old Safari XZA+. I tried getting air filled at different petrol pumps in the city, and found that there was wide variance in their respective gauges, as well as vide variance vis-a-vis the reading indicated in the TPMS of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I used to fill diesel in a bunk near my condo and tyre air pressure checks too. it's always same reading both in Air Pressure machine and TPMS. but it differs, if I try different bunks.
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and inputs.

Last edited by sparameswaran : 4th November 2022 at 20:28.
Old 5th November 2022, 11:08   #2379

Did you check the fader settings? I have seen my fader settings are reset, post update.
Quote:
That was very helpful!
Shall try the pressure gauge system you suggested.
Thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Carz View Post
Hi,
Has anyone faced audio output issues after upgrading ECU s/w to 18.1.7 version? After upgrading, I see that the rear speakers audio output is significantly less than the front speakers. Also the thump in the bass is gone, leading to mediocre audio quality. I used to enjoy the audio set up in my car before this.
Please let me know if anyone has faced similar issues and is there an easy option to downgrade the ECU version?
aarveeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 23:10   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarveeram View Post
Did you check the fader settings?
I haven't checked the fader settings, shall do.
Did you get the software updated at the time of regular service?

I faced an issue with the infotainment system as well as MID today while driving.

The infotainment system and MID screen goes blank abruptly (while driving). Stays blank for 4-5 seconds and then the system reboots.

Happened twice within a span of 3 hours while in the road.

I know that the infotainment system in Safari is 'notorious'. I am worried whether this is a prelude to some more sinister.

Has anyone experienced such abrupt (unprovoked) re-booting while driving?

(I was using wireless android auto to play music as well as Google maps when this happened.)

What should I do be doing?
Old 6th November 2022, 05:58   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
I faced an issue with the infotainment system as well as MID today while driving.

The infotainment system and MID screen goes blank abruptly (while driving). Stays blank for 4-5 seconds and then the system reboots.

Happened twice within a span of 3 hours while in the road.

I know that the infotainment system in Safari is 'notorious'. I am worried whether this is a prelude to some more sinister.

Has anyone experienced such abrupt (unprovoked) re-booting while driving?

(I was using wireless android auto to play music as well as Google maps when this happened.)

What should I do be doing?
You can't do much with this. I have experienced this in my 2022 Harrier also. On long hours of non-stop use it does act wierd and shuts down for a few seconds and comes back on its own. On our cross country trip in summers this year, this happened multiple times. One thing I noticed that when this happened, mostly the infotainment system had become hot partly due to non-stop usage, secondly due to sun beating down on it through windshield. We put a small hand towel on the back side of the infotainment to protect it from direct sunlight for a while. That did help sometimes. But since it is a random thing, I don't know what worked, whether I switching off the system for sometime to let it cool off or protecting it from sunlight. Definitely it is not an indication of anything sinister. So don't worry

Report it to the service center but I don't think they can do much except probably checking the s/w version and confidently saying that the problem is fixed.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 06:06   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
You can't do much with this. I have experienced this in my 2022 Harrier also. On long hours of non-stop use it does act wierd and shuts down for a few seconds and comes back on its own.

So don't worry

Report it to the service center but I don't think they can do much except probably checking the s/w version and confidently saying that the problem is fixed.
Thanks, that is reassuring.
But it is annoying that it can't be rectified.

Didn't happen with day long (11 hours) trips in the past.
Old 6th November 2022, 07:38   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Isnt Driver Drowsiness alert already available? I regularly get the coffee symbol with "Take a break" message.

Is the driver drowsiness feature which is getting publicized with Jet edition something different?
Check Jet ECU also DDU was not active there also, guess it will work with ADAS lane departure and other settings.
Old 7th November 2022, 14:45   #2384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
Check Jet ECU also DDU was not active there also, guess it will work with ADAS lane departure and other settings.
I regularly get "Take a break" message on the console. Is DDU anything different?
Old 8th November 2022, 20:52   #2385

I noticed a big difference when filled in cold tyre vs hot tyre condition. The pressure given to fill is for the cold tyre condition. So while checking or filling air as soon as you start driving. I can see very consistent readings with this method.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks