Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:26   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Tata Motors on Tuesday announced it had delivered 100 units of the Safari in Delhi-NCR region in a single day. Tata Motors further highlighted that a majority of Safari customers are opting for the XZA+ trim with Royal Blue and Orcus White colours

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210302_153232.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-20210302_152957.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-smartselect_20210302154019_chrome.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-smartselect_20210302154030_chrome.jpg

2021 Tata Safari Review-smartselect_20210302154042_chrome.jpg

Quote:
We are elated to see the response coming in for the all-new Safari. The delivery of 100 Safaris on a single day is a proof of the same," said Ritesh Khare, Zonal Manager, North, Passenger Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd March 2021 at 15:42.
Venkatesh is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:05   #482
BHPian

Quote:
While Harrier accounted for 2,030 units dispatches in February 2021; Safari Wholesales was 1,707 units. The combined dispatches was 3,737 units and helped Tata Motors to place itself in the Top slot in the segment.Coincidentally MG has stepped up efforts to sustain its dominance. Hector and Hector Plus combined recorded its lifetime all-time highest monthly sales volumes. Its earlier highest volume was in Oct'20 with 3,625 units.
1707 units of Tata Safari shipped in the first month of it's launch. These are wholesale sales.

Link

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd March 2021 at 19:43.
udaikalra01 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:22   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post

1. I would never purchase anything with so much glossy piano black plastic. I have a few appliances in the kitchen like that, and I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Even without those, piano black gloss plastic is a proper "excrement-show". Smudges and scratches all the time.

Seriously, skip the piano black though - otherwise you'll always remember me whenever you sit in your car any time after the first 6 months
I am not sure of this actually. If the plastic is of high quality, it would still look great even after years of usage. I have an all black Ecosport S, wherein many parts of the car are blacked out, with almost no chrome anywhere. The car is 2.5+ years old, and those blacked out parts still look the same as they did on day 1. Kindly clarify, if I am wrong anywhere here.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:50   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
1707 units of Tata Safari shipped in the first month of it's launch. These are wholesale sales.
This is really good number for Safari and hope it sustains the momentum created. The Hexa had sold only once above this number, during August 2017 when the total dispatches were 1,715 units.
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:06   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
The Hexa had sold only once above this number, during August 2017 when the total dispatches were 1,715 units.
They key point is August 2017, when the GST brought down the prices by 1 lac around this time. SUV sales increased around this month till GAT was increased for SUVs by placing them in higher tax category.

Safari is selling in ordinary times when the economy is performing poorly though. Anyway, once the initial dispatches are done with, the real sales number will be interesting.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:24   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I
All in all, its a decent vehicle. Would I pay ~26L for it? No. Tata took a few steps backwards from the Hexa for this I feel in terms of quality and robustness. It just didn't feel as rugged, well built or plush. For those upgrading from a hatchback or a sedan it might make sense with the additional seats and SUV stance. I might be a bit biased being a Hexa owner but given that the Safari replaces the Hexa as the top of the line product in the Tata lineup it would only make sense that Tata had improved on the Hexa rather than compromising on it.
Thanks for the honest review . It helps those of us who havent seen the car to get an idea of what to expect. Especially with the hype and halo of the Safari nameplate , it's difficult to get honest opinions and objective insights from a customer perspective. You've articulated it well, from a Hexa owners point of view, because the effect that this Safari would have on a buyer upgrading from a hatch or CSUV would be very different from someone who drives a Hexa /Storme. The Hexa was the last earnest all out attempt from Tata for a truly VFM offering which is hard to beat.

With most of the mainstream journalism heavily biased for various reasons, the new launches reviews are always painted in bright tints and it's difficult to see through.

At 26 big ones, the Safari asks for a lot from its buyers. The Safari remains the first serious 7seater SUV player in this bandwidth and so hard to get a baseline for perspective.

The XUV launch perhaps could help us out.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:26   #487
BHPian

Amazing to see so many customers choosing Indian manufacturers over the likes of Hyundai, MG, Kia etc... I think it was high time for an Indian manufacturer to step and start delivering hit cars and I can't think of a better company than Tata! I'm confident that other companies like Maruti are definitely taking note and hopefully this healthy competition spruces up the space for us automotive enthusiasts!

Looks like many people are 'reclaiming their lives'
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 22:49   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
They key point is August 2017, when the GST brought down the prices by 1 lac around this time. SUV sales increased around this month till GAT was increased for SUVs by placing them in higher tax category.
What I meant was, Aug '17 was the only month Hexa performed better, other than that on an average it moved just 1,000-1,500 copies per month and this is during the first year of its launch in 2017. In 2018, the monthly average dropped down to 600-800 range and in 2019, it further fell to a measly 200-300 units. On the other hand, Safari has started brilliantly and if it could sustain the monthly average sales of 2,000 units, I would rather call it as a success.

Quote:
Safari is selling in ordinary times when the economy is performing poorly though. Anyway, once the initial dispatches are done with, the real sales number will be interesting.
Isn't this a good thing that even during this economic downturn, Safari is selling in more numbers than its predecessor.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:06   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie chirps that Tata is preparing to introduce two new colour shades for the Safari:-

1) Stonehenge
2) Camo Green

in addition to the already announced Daytona Grey, Orcus White & Royale Blue colour shades.

The former could be a mix of Gray + Gold + Beige, while the latter might be offered with a special CAMO edition, similar to the Harrier.
Hello RavenAvi, do you have any further information on this ? I would seriously consider waiting to purchase a camo green safari.
JoelDmello is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:19   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Motors on Tuesday announced it had delivered 100 units of the Safari in Delhi-NCR region in a single day. Tata Motors further highlighted that a majority of Safari customers are opting for the XZA+ trim with Royal Blue and Orcus White colours
]
For what it's worth, we hope that these sales numbers draw the gaze of GNCAP and #SaferCarsForIndia pulls one off the line for a crash test. Tata doesn't seem too keen on volunteering unlike earlier times with the Nexon and Altroz.

We don't see any cheeky safety ads for the Safari taking a dig at competition either do we?

I may come across as repeating this GNCAP rant far too often, but I think it's very relevant in today's times and especially when we are shopping in the D2 segment.

Interesting to see the same public which went gaga over Nexon accident memes and dissed the Seltos for its poor ratings now lapping up a 26 lakh car with unknown safety ratings. Even in our forum, we ve discussed the colour of the seats of this Safari more than we have discussed safety.

I admire Mr Pratap Bose's design led product renovation of the Tata lineup. But he is very quick to quash any question or comment on social media about AWD etc to the point of making the commenter feel ill informed. However , questions regarding safety ratings are sunk deep or discreetly deleted.

As a beta tester customer of first batch Storme , seriously considering the Safari , Im eagerly looking forward for Tata to blow us over with another perfect 5 * but until then we need to keep this fact in mind that the car remains unrated just like it's shorter sibling Harrier.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:27   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
.....but until then we need to keep this fact in mind that the car remains unrated just like it's shorter sibling Harrier.
Well, if the Harrier hasn't been GNCAP tested in almost 2 years since launch, don't think it's going to happen now. Most likely, it will be the same for the Safari, considering how much they have in common.

I guess TML's philosophy is the same as that of Sir Humphrey Appleby, who once famously advised Jim Hacker - "A basic rule of government is never look into anything you don't have to, and never set up an inquiry unless you know in advance what its findings will be."
comfortablynumb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:32   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Well, if the Harrier hasn't been GNCAP tested in almost 2 years since launch, don't think it's going to happen now. Most likely, it will be the same for the Safari, considering how much they have in common.

I guess TML's philosophy is the same as that of Sir Humphrey Appleby, who once famously advised Jim Hacker - "A basic rule of government is never look into anything you don't have to, and never set up an inquiry unless you know in advance what its findings will be."
This is exactly why we need the XUV launch to pull Tata's socks up. I'm confident M&M will launch with complete arsenal including safety ratings.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:21   #493
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
We don't see any cheeky safety ads for the Safari taking a dig at competition either do we?
Quote:
I admire Mr Pratap Bose's design led product renovation of the Tata lineup. But he is very quick to quash any question or comment on social media about AWD etc to the point of making the commenter feel ill informed. However , questions regarding safety ratings are sunk deep or discreetly deleted.
It's a classic case of "don't beat your drum announcing your flaws". TATA is banking on the expectation - those who haven't figured it out already, let's not spoonfeed them.

The 2.0 multijet transverse mounting is best suited for LHD market, since some physical left vs right asymmetry on the bottom engine/engine-allied components hits the footwell earlier than ideal and causes the RHD pedals to fracture the feet of the RHD driver. This problem doesn't apply to LHD market. --- this has been discussed in TBHP elsewhere and applies to all 2.0 MJD customers - harrier, safari, compass (india) and the MG hector - none of these india specific models are crash test safety advertised.

TATA doesn't want to beat their drum about 3 or 4 stars , particularly after using 5 stars are their primary USP (ads sometimes going overboard to the point of being big-boss contestant-esque denigration of others).

Last edited by venkyhere : 3rd March 2021 at 10:24.
venkyhere is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:15   #494
BHPian

The Safari just pulls at my heartstrings.

In fact, a lot of the Tata cars have managed to do so. the Sierra (a friend had one with a 6 CD changer in the back in the early 90s) the Safari (was exchanging messages with another friend who had one in the early 2000s), the Nano (we were so close to buying one), the Harrier (canceled the booking) and now the new Safari.

We as a family aren't in the market for a new car (and when we are in the market to replace my mom's car, it will most probably be another hatchback) but here we are talking about it - we don't need it, but we want it :-) If it was left to me it would be the Topical Mist Adventure version.
Mar21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:35   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
The 2.0 multijet transverse mounting is best suited for LHD market, since some physical left vs right asymmetry on the bottom engine/engine-allied components hits the footwell earlier than ideal and causes the RHD pedals to fracture the feet of the RHD driver. This problem doesn't apply to LHD market. --- this has been discussed in TBHP elsewhere and applies to all 2.0 MJD customers - harrier, safari, compass (india) and the MG hector - none of these india specific models are crash test safety advertised.
Thanks for this technical information. Puts my mind at ease , I was racking my brains there must be a solid technical reason why they wouldn't have an advertisable score, now I get it.

It has a sunroof though. So we should be sorted in terms if sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks