Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2022, 07:47   #1981
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
Is the 2021 Safari FWD or RWD ?

There doesn't seem to be an authoritative source anywhere.

Thanks
Shyam
Looks like you did not read through the team-bhp official review . It is mentioned in the beginning (2021 Tata Safari Review).
Meph1st0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:29   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post

Hope your issue is resolved without any further feeling of "What have i done "!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
I just wish NoftanF1Driver that Safari engine warning issue is resolved quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Atleast train dealership to deliver a new car without faults. Bare minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
I wonder how this got slipped during dealer or your PDI?
Do let us know if the issue is resolved and what root cause was found.
Hello everyone. Thanks a lot for the responses.

I need to acknowledge here that I could not do a PDI of this car. There were multiple reasons - I was too occupied with work, and the time when I was available, the showroom was not. I requested the sales guy that I inspect the car before I take delivery, which he did not agree to, because the car was already in PDI from the dealer end. So, I let it pass - big mistake.

At the service centre, there was another dark edition Safari barely a week old with the check engine warning. Since it came in a minute before me, that car was attended to, first. The service team told the owner that it is a software update issue. I was skeptical.

When my car was attended to (I was at work, so I did miss some moments), I went to the shop floor. I believe they had already connected the car to OBD and were doing something, which they said it’s software update. Looking at the screen of the laptop, this is what I understood:

1. They updated some software, this was done before I reached the shop floor, so not sure.
2. Force cleared all ECU errors. Turned off the car and turned back on. Check engine was still on.
3. The guy took a photo of the errors and went in. After a while, the car was taken out of the covered workshop to an open space.
4. Connected again to OBD. Ran a DPF regeneration program.
5. This program kept the engine revved up to 3.5 -4 k RPM.
6. I don’t know how much time it took, but extended for more than 30 mins, I guess.
7. Force cleared all warnings. Restarted the car.
8. Car roared back to life. No warnings.
9. I became very happy 😃

Now, coming to the actual issue. I asked the technician on how can a car barely run 60kms have DPF issues. He said that these 60kms would be run inside factory premises and on loading the car. Tata cars come in trains to Kerala - so they end up moving the car back and forth quite a bit, which means the car would most likely driven with brake release alone or would be idling. This causes soot build up. This seemed quite reasonable and he mentioned that even light foot driving in the city does not cause this. Let’s see.

I drove the car back from the service centre and was way too happy. All things were normal and the car had transformed itself. Despite my happy mood, I decided to convey my displeasure to the sales guy. I appreciate his promptness - He called up twice during the day to check status and made necessary calls to fast track this. In the evening, he called me up and I told him that this is not how I expected a new car delivery to happen. I also told that had I seen the car, I would have noted it. I was also willing to wait a day more to get it cleared. The sales guy apologised a lot, said that this error wasn’t there when their PDI was done. It came up only when the car was at the showroom, and the team was moving it to delivery area.

All said and done, I way too happy with the car. This episode meant I spent half a day at service centre (10.30am - 2pm). The service quality isn’t bad by any means. The team installed seat covers to protect it from staining while working. I never found anyone turning on the AC while the car is on, despite the terrible heat.

That’s all for now. Hope the issues won’t re-occur.
NotanF1driver is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:48   #1983
Senior - BHPian

This check engine light glowing issue is there on my colleague’s 3 months old Harrier. I hope it’s really only something to do with the software or DEF/DPF than anything else.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 18th March 2022 at 13:53. Reason: Adding data
Old 18th March 2022, 14:23   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
Hi all,

The car runs okay, but is down on power as drive modes are disabled due to the check engine warning.
This is the exact issue that i faced at the time of delivery of my Safari. After driving the car for some 5 Kms, engine light was on and power was dropped. I immediately called the showroom guys and they sent their emergency vehicle to check the car and after checking, they took me back to the service center, connected the car to OBD, kept the engine revving at high rpm and after 15 to 20 minutes, issue was gone. It's 9 months now and i have not faced the similar issue so hopeful that your drive experience will be better than the delivery experience. Congratulations on your car
Abhi1990 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 08:32   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
It's 9 months now and i have not faced the similar issue so hopeful that your drive experience will be better than the delivery experience. Congratulations on your car
Phew! That's a relief. Thank you.
NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 19:32   #1986
BHPian

One new issue identified.
None of the USB ports other than the one on the dashboard seem to be working.
Is there something I am doing wrong? I tried the same cable on other ports that I am using for Android Auto on the front USB port and it doesn't charge the phone on any other port.
Old 20th March 2022, 19:53   #1987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghP09 View Post
Is there something I am doing wrong? I tried the same cable on other ports that I am using for Android Auto on the front USB port and it doesn't charge the phone on any other port.
Was the vehicle's dashboard or center console opened up for any mods or accessories?

If not see if there is a way to power down the infotainment system yourself or you may need to perform a hard reset at the dealership by pulling out a fuse.
Old 20th March 2022, 21:19   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Was the vehicle's dashboard or center console opened up for any mods or accessories?

If not see if there is a way to power down the infotainment system yourself or you may need to perform a hard reset at the dealership by pulling out a fuse.
The problem is with the USB ports around the arm rest. The one on the dashboard works just fine.

I had tried it very early on but thought it was a data cable issue but same issue with new cable too while it works fine with the Android Auto port.

Accessories - I added the genuine accessory auto IRVM a couple of weeks back.
Old 20th March 2022, 23:37   #1989
BHPian

Does anyone face the juddering on the steering on speeds in access of 120 kms on a rough road ? One of my relatives complained about the same to the service advisor and he mentioned this is normal in the Safari
Old 21st March 2022, 17:08   #1990
BHPian

Hi Guys, Have clocked approximately 19000 kms so far and the safari has proved to be an able tourer. of late, for a group of 6 (4 adults and 2 kids), we have strategically loaded the luggage in the gaps between the seats, folded them and kept a razai on top and voila, a sleeping bed for at least the kids and one adult comfortably with stretched legs while another can squeeze in. While its definitely not 5 star comfort, it sure beats the sleeping while sitting position. This has lead to increased road trips for weekends. This weekend, it was Ooty.
I wanted to share a very pleasant and confidence inspiring event which happened yesterday in Ooty. While cranking the engine yesterday afternoon, I saw this warning on the dashboard asking me to refill the DEF fluid.
2021 Tata Safari Review-img20220320wa0038.jpg

Being a Sunday afternoon, I was a little worried as I had to travel back to chennai and didn't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere at night. I called up Ooty TAFE which was closed and Chennai TAFE service GM. Didn't know how or what happened, but got a call back from TAFE, Mettupalayam which was enroute from Ooty to Chennai. The Service manager arranged for enough DEF fluid to be collected from the security so that I reach chennai safely. I reached Mettupalayam at 8 pm on a Sunday nite and the security person was waiting with the DEF fluid to guarantee that I reached home with peace of mind. TATA and TAFE keeps surprising me pleasantly day by day and I sincerely hope all dealers take a leaf out of TAFE page to ensure service experience above and beyond the routine. That's it for now guys. Drive safe.
Neil Roy is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 17:28   #1991
BHPian

Has anyone tried modifying the front central armrest? The stock armrest feels inadequate and I'm not in favour of putting a cushion on it as it'd ruin the aesthetics.
Secondly, are 7D mats (which cover pretty much the entire carpeted area) safe to use, especially when it comes to the driver's footwell, where they might get in the way of pedal movement?
grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:05   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghP09 View Post
have you checked with your sales advisor, what does he say?
In my car all the ports work just fine.
Old 21st March 2022, 19:48   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
TATA and TAFE keeps surprising me pleasantly day by day and I sincerely hope all dealers take a leaf out of TAFE page to ensure service experience above and beyond the routine.
Just wowed by this splendid service experience from Tata. Please keep sharing such confidence inspiring moments.

These kind of incidences will pave path for future owners like me to have peace of mind with the purchase.

Also, can we keep filling DEF liquid on our own at regular time intervals to avoid such warnings popping up as surprises?
ramjiramu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 20:01   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
The service quality isn’t bad by any means. The team installed seat covers to protect it from staining while working.
What a relief to know that the issue got resolved soon.

Looks like the Tata's service experience vibes are coming good so far in the forum.

Also, I had been a vivid follower of Kaushik's vlogs on YouTube. Something you can check for good advices.
He is one more driving force towards my booking of new Safari

Wishing you a many happy miles and memorable journeys ahead.
Old 22nd March 2022, 00:24   #1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
. While cranking the engine yesterday afternoon, I saw this warning on the dashboard asking me to refill the DEF fluid.
Amazing Service. You can also top-up the DEF at petrol stations. It's generally sold as Ad Blue.
ramprebagar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed