Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 19:51   #556
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by db DrivE View Post
I have been quoted an insurance for 105623 from the dealership for the XZA+ model.
Is it reasonable?
Check prices online on policybazaar, seems a bit high,
last month my cousin purchased a Innova crysta, the insurance costed us 76k online for a vehicle which costs 26 lakhs on road
Old 9th March 2021, 20:01   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Tata Safari test mule spotted today in Pune. Could this be a petrol test mule?

Attachment 2130492
Last year at the Auto Expo, Tata Motors' CTO Mr. Rajendra Petkar had said that a 1.5 litre turbo petrol was in the development stages. Any possibility of that here?

Old 9th March 2021, 20:38   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainan View Post
Maybe that would give Tata an idea of how much demand a butch 4x4 could generate so not a bad thing overall. I for one would trade off the exclusivity in favor of the better chances of getting support and spares that numbers would bring.
Not to mention prospects of better resale value. Car which sells well first hand, sells well second hand. That would be new for Tata owners like me.

Coming to the option of buying non adventure version with the white interiors but the Tropical Mist for exterior and blackening the outer bits aftermarket, I found this video which shows the options side by side.

vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 20:48   #559

I like your line of thinking in preferring the Innova over the Safari. I'm actually in this situation right now having to decide between the two - I'm not looking to sell within 5 years so resale value is not the top consideration. The Safari just feels so modern and up to date so I'm struggling with giving that up for a lot more practicality that the Innova offers.

Reasons to go for the Safari:
- I'm a fan of the middle row bench seats and side curtain airbags but the Innova forces you chose one or the other because the ZX trim comes without the bench seat and is the only trim level with the full safety feature set.
- The third row for Innova is not a true 3 seater and similar to the Safari in comfort. So again, if I have to go for the ZX trim in the Innova (for safety features) I only get 6 true seats which is one less than the Safari!

What are your thoughts considering this perspective? Thank you for your feedback!
Old 9th March 2021, 22:26   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbhat2 View Post
I have booked the Adventure persona variant for which the dealer was quoting an insurance amount of 118k. He readily agreed when I mentioned that I'll be getting the insurance done outside. I'll just have to hand over the insurance copy to them before they send it for registration. I'm sure there would be difference of around 20-30k in the insurance amount of dealer vs outside.
I've also informed them that I'd be visiting the yard and doing a PDI by myself before the vehicle goes for registration for which also they have agreed.
I've got to say it's been a pleasant experience so far with Adishakti motors in Bangalore.
Firstly congrats on your booking
One of my family member is also keen to book the XZA+ Adventure Persona variant, with Adishakti motors, Hebbal.

As you rightly mentioned the shoroom is okay with us getting the insurance done from outside.

Moreover I see there is a 2+3 years Extended warranty offered (Rs 33000), as well as Gold-AMC for 30000km/2 years (Rs 39099).

We are inclined to go for additional EW for 3 Years, but not so sure about the Gold AMC package.
Could you throw some light on the AMC package that they are offering? Is it worth going for?
Old 9th March 2021, 23:07   #561
Senior - BHPian

M&M have discontinued the AWD models since the start of 2020, so more than a year now. If the 4x4 variants were really a 'massive success', why would any manufacturer do this?

It's still available for export markets, but M&M see no need to sell them in India. Why not cater to this perceived demand?

It's not just M&M, Duster was another model that discontinued the 4x4 variant due to negligible sales, and the 4x4 variant was also decent VFM. Or look at the falling Compass sales despite all the 4x4 variants.

Tata launched 4x4 variants from the 90s even when the SUV market was in its nascent stages. From the Sierra, Safari to the recent Hexa. 4x4 variants make an absolutely negligible percentile of overall sales, that is the fact. Tata learnt this the hard way.

The most successful recent 'SUV' launches in India lately never offered 4x4, Seltos, Hector, Creta sell by the bucketloadds despite no AWD variants.

The Indian consumer would rather buy the higher variant than shell money for AWD, that is the fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
If at all an AWD is coming, that will have to be triggered by XUV500s or Scorpio 4x4 success. As of now, Tata would be assessing the viability of AWD using the number of Hexa AWD and Storme 4x4s that were sold. If they go by those numbers, the conclusion will be that AWD development cost cannot be recovered from the sales of AWD-equipped vehicles alone, and prices will have to be increased across the range even for the base variant.

Increasing prices across the range will only lead to loss of revenue I believe. So the AWD will come only when they are confident the development cost can be recovered from those variants alone. And the only thing that can trigger that thought will be the massive success of Scorpio or XUV500 AWD variants. Or when they have volumes from international markets like Ford and Toyota where AWD variant sales are higher. I think both of these cases are unlikely.
shortbread is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:34   #562
Senior - BHPian

The Safari Adventure persona is one of the best special edition trims I have ever seen on any Indian car till date. Most of the others have something or the other overdone. But this is just spot on.

The dechromed, black bits, the tropical mist color and the black interiors with the sandstone seat upholstery just gel extremely well together. If I am ever owning a Safari, this is the one that I will go for. No doubt about it. The CMF division at TaMo is obviously doing a fabulous job.

The Adventure persona has been specially reviewed by almost all media houses. While I understand that this is a marketing exercise by Tata, it is one variant that definitely deserves a special mention.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 23:45   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Coming to the option of buying non adventure version with the white interiors but the Tropical Mist for exterior and blackening the outer bits aftermarket, I found this video which shows the options side by side.

https://Youtu.be/yHwrcMNP8Qk
Don't even need to play the video to see how much better Adventure version looks than the regular one.

Pretty sure some guy is going to buy the Adv and take it straight to accessory shop to install chrome garnishings.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 00:34   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

The Indian consumer would rather buy the higher variant than shell money for AWD, that is the fact!
Completely agree with you. The Indian market has spoilt the makers by demanding large screens and sunroof above everything else so our top sellers are raised hatches on stilts with plastic bits stuck everywhere to have bragging rights of having an 'SUV' as you go mall crawling.

But I honestly think there are more discerning lifestyle and capability buyers today than ever were in the 90s (in proportion to the normal crowd) . Purchasing power, awareness of global trends and general willingness to pay for capability is NOW a real thing. IMHO we are at the precipice of a niche market shift towards capable SUVs and that's exactly where the 20lac plus segment makes sense to plonk such an offering. Below 20 'suvs' are crowd pleasers and would be criminal to expect a practical full size suv option there with 4wd , but go around 25 lacs and that's where the niche is shopping and Today I think the niche is ready.

Don't get me wrong the politicians , urban gabrus and the like will still go 'Fortunes is better than Endeevar ' and 'Nayi Safari udthi hai ' and plonk large sums of money for the looks and size as they pop their necks out of sunroof doing break neck speeds.

But there are more enthusiasts now more than ever who want to pay for that elusive extra mile and they're finally ready to vote with their wallet.

Safari didn't become the legend it is today by playing to the gallery. If anyone hears out the niche, it's the Safari and hence our wailing cries for an AWD behind the name.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 06:50   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
M&M have discontinued the AWD models since the start of 2020, so more than a year now. If the 4x4 variants were really a 'massive success', why would any manufacturer do this?
I was talking about the next gen XUV and Scorpio. I meant, for Tata to think about developing AWD for Safari, the next gen XUV and Scorpio AWD models should be a big success. In other words there should be some data points that suggest AWD development cost can be recovered from AWD India sales alone. As of now, all evidence suggest against this. If nextgen XUV or Scorpio AWD models enjoy massive success like the Thar, this perception will change. But I think it is very unlikely.
Old 10th March 2021, 06:58   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I reckon with the number of Adventure Personas flying off the shelf this 'limited edition' would not be that limited in a while.
You can bet there’s a #DARK edition lurking around somewhere, up next

Man, won’t that look mean!
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:14   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Firstly congrats on your booking
One of my family member is also keen to book the XZA+ Adventure Persona variant, with Adishakti motors, Hebbal.

As you rightly mentioned the shoroom is okay with us getting the insurance done from outside.

Moreover I see there is a 2+3 years Extended warranty offered (Rs 33000), as well as Gold-AMC for 30000km/2 years (Rs 39099).

We are inclined to go for additional EW for 3 Years, but not so sure about the Gold AMC package.
Could you throw some light on the AMC package that they are offering? Is it worth going for?
I was quoted 28k for the extended warranty ( Mine is a Manual variant which might explain the difference )
I am not very keen on the Gold AMC package as yet. My SA mentioned that regular wear and tear stuff like clutch plates, brake pads, wiper blades etc would be covered. He said I can talk to the service manager once the vehicle is delivered for more details and then decide.
I'm going for the EW for sure ( additional 3 years ) Will take a call on the Gold AMC after I get the vehicle.
ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 14:46   #568
BANNED

I totally agree with detailed reviews / opinions shared by other fellow and senior bhpians. I own a 2008 dicor, and i just cannot digest the fact that TATA's decided to bring in the LEGENDARY SAFARI back by just renaming the Harrier (extending a few mm in length and a few cosmtics). New SAFARI doesnot even distinguish itself from Harrier to the average eye on the road.
Alcazar is going to look so different from Creta , Hyundai is doing its job better, on this front.
prits_moh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 15:24   #569
BHPian

People still rueing about lack of 4×4 in SUV's should look at Force Gurkha, it is a very competent vehicle with great looks and should respect the methodology of Tata as to why after 25 years they stopped making 4×4 vehicles.
Sran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 16:52   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prits_moh View Post
I totally agree with detailed reviews / opinions shared by other fellow and senior bhpians. I own a 2008 dicor, and i just cannot digest the fact that TATA's decided to bring in the LEGENDARY SAFARI back by just renaming the Harrier (extending a few mm in length and a few cosmtics). New SAFARI doesnot even distinguish itself from Harrier to the average eye on the road.
Alcazar is going to look so different from Creta , Hyundai is doing its job better, on this front.
The new Safari (Gravitas) is definitely a welcome move. I wish Tata motors made Safari a little bigger (XL size i mean) ! Looks are subjective but seems there is enough acceptance for the refreshed Safari.

I generally love the butch square shaped SUV's but after a decade or so the design language needs a refresh. That seems to be a norm among most car manufacturers.

At the same time most of the SUV's these days (some sedans too) follow the similar design language across variants. I do not think a non-enthusiast can quickly differentiate between an Audi Q5 vs Q7 or the Mercedes GLB vs GLC vs GLE and maybe even the GLS. Looks like manufacturers are making SUVs inspired by different shirt sizes viz. S, M, L, XL, XXL and so on. And that strategy seems to be working well for most of them.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 10th March 2021 at 16:58.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks