Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 13:11   #616
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Well I have to sheepishly admit that despite having all the bells and whistles (360 degree camera, audible warnings et al) I managed to bump my Alcazar into a parking pillar while reversing. As a result, the RH tail lamp assembly needs replacement.

My problem is that my mechanic is not able to source it from anywhere. Even I tried on boodmo but it is out of stock. Any leads in Pune as to where I can get the tail lamp assembly ?
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:29   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Well I have to sheepishly admit that despite having all the bells and whistles (360 degree camera, audible warnings et al) I managed to bump my Alcazar into a parking pillar while reversing. As a result, the RH tail lamp assembly needs replacement.

My problem is that my mechanic is not able to source it from anywhere. Even I tried on boodmo but it is out of stock. Any leads in Pune as to where I can get the tail lamp assembly ?
Why dont you directly go to Hyundai ASS to get the spare.
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 13:20   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
Why dont you directly go to Hyundai ASS to get the spare.
Oh yes I did try there but they do not have it in stock as well. Its been like this - we are expecting it tomorrow / day after - for the last two weeks.

So I guess waiting is the only option.
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:30   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Well I have to sheepishly admit that despite having all the bells and whistles (360 degree camera, audible warnings et al) I managed to bump my Alcazar into a parking pillar while reversing.
I "nearly" did the same. In a narrow alley, I was trying to negotiate a corner, with another oncoming vehicle. I could not judge if the left corner will scrape the footpath even with the 360 view. So I tried to reverse into a curve to make space on the left corner. When reversing, I was only checking the front windshield and left side mirror based on my previous car experience, forgetting that I have a 360 degree camera. My eye's line of sight line did not go into the center console. It was my wife who shouted that there was a motorcycle right behind us, visible in the live view and I braked at that point avoiding any damage.

I think it takes some time for the driver to get used to the additional sensor input, instinctively / naturally even in a hurry.
rvlkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:01   #620
BHPian

Hello,

The purpose of this post is to highlight the poor and unsafe quality of tires are supplied with car model Alcazar. I purchased a Hyundai Alcazar Petrol AT Signature model with registration date of 12-November-2022 from Shreem Hyundai, Prabhadevi Mumbai dealership.

It has not been even 60 days since the purchase and I have already had two major problems. On the day of the delivery, when driving the new car back home we noticed the AC was not working. It was blowing hot air after 5 minutes of working fine. After a few calls to the dealer, they registered a complaint. They sent someone from the workshop on 19 November (not sure of the date here) to check/confirm the problem. The technician, on driving the car, within 5 minutes the AC stopped working again and the problem was acknowledged. The car was taken to service centre where the problem was fixed - as per the email (see attached email screenshot) from service manager Mr. Ninad Manohar dated 23-November-2022, it was a faulty compressor valve that was replaced under warranty. It is heart wrenching to see a brand new car have such a quality issue on DAY 1 and the car has to be taken to the service centre with barely any kms on it.

I find it unacceptable that a brand new premium car costing Rs. 24 lakhs is not subject to proper quality checks and delivered to a customer in this state. This problem that presented itself within 5 minutes of driving should have been caught when the car was being driven from stockyard to showroom or from RTO to showroom but there was probably no mention of it by the driver to the dealership which I find surprising.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-screenshot-20230103-4.53.51-pm.png

The second problem was more grave and could have been a major safety issue. The Alcazar Signature Petrol AT comes shod with Apollo Apterra 215/55 R18 tires. These seem to be of inferior quality since two of the tires had a sidewall burst at relatively slow speed (50-60 kmph) when going over a rough patch of road on NH48 highway.

Timeline of what happened:

2-Jan-2023 6am: we left from Ankleshwar GIDC area on NH48

2-Jan-2023 6.40 am: we reached the Kamrej toll plaza

2-Jan-2023 6:40 am: the left front and rear tires burst barely 2kms from the toll plaza when going over a rough patch of road. There was NO pothole deep enough to cause this kind of damage, just a rough section. Many cars went through that section of the road unharmed. After our tires burst, the sensors beeped and the car pulled to the left. Luckily there was no trucks and we had just left the toll plaza so we weren’t doing highway speed otherwise it would have resulted in a major accident - I had my wife, son, a relative (78 years old) and his granddaughter in the car as well.

2-Jan-2023 7:30am: after trying to lower the Stepney in vain, I called the BlueLink helpline number following which they registered a complaint. They said I’ll get SMS of complaint number, but I never got any. They connected me to the roadside assistance team and took down details of the location and said a towing van is en route from Surat. It would reach in 60 minutes.

2-Jan-2023 8:40am: called the bluelink helpline again, gave the same details as before, they connected me to RSA team again, again they took the same details and said van has suffered a puncture and will take time. This time they said ETA is 90 minutes from 7.30 am.

2-Jan-2023 10am: Finally after getting calls from about 3 towing van operators, one finally came with a recovery truck on which they loaded the car with us onboard.

They took us to Navjivan Hyundai Body shop at Udana, Surat. Note: They should have taken us to the service centre since this was a tire issue, not an accident case. But giving the towing operators benefit of doubt since this is what they’re probably trained to do.

From 10am - 5pm I was shuttling between the service centre and the body shop and various tire shops trying to find a shop that has this particular size of tire. All this while, my wife, 10 yr old son, 78 year old uncle and his granddaughter were waiting at the Navjivan Hyundai showroom, tired and exhausted while the dealer/service centre tried to arrange for a set of tires. At first they said they’ll call someone from Apollo for inspection. Nobody turned up and we didn’t want to waste time since we wanted to drive back to Mumbai the same day. At first they contacted their own dealerships to check for the tire. There were none available. They then contacted Shakti Tires - an independent tire vendor who said he has one Apollo 215/55 R18 available. When we went there and he removed the tires from the rims, he checked his stock and said it is 2021 model of tire which will not fit this model of car/rim. This was at 1pm. Report from Apollo tires claims this is not a manufacturing defect and cannot be considered for warranty (see pictures).

Between 1-4pm there was not much progress. It was me asking what is the situation and them telling me they are trying to find a vendor who has the tires of this size. Again, I don’t know much about tires, but they said we could have two of Apollo and two from another company but those had to be front and back matched.

Around 4pm they located a vendor who had GoodYear tires in the 215/55 R18 size available.

2-Jan-2023 5pm: Tire vendor came with 2 tires, I was driven in a demo car to the tire workshop at Adajan and the new tires were fit onto the two rims and wheel balancing was done. Then we came back to the body shop.

2-Jan-2023 5:30pm: the two wheels with new tires were fit to the car and we drove the Alcazar back to the KS Tires shop at Adajan to replace the remaining two tires as well.
I decided to replace all 4 tires with GoodYear since I have completely lost faith in the quality of these Apollo tires.

2-Jan-2023 6:30pm: All 4 tires were replaced with GoodYear tires. Wheel balancing and wheel alignment was done and we had to stay overnight at Surat since it had become dark to drive back to Mumbai.

Total bill came to Rs. 58,000 for the set of 4 tires + labour + alignment/balancing. There was no warranty either from Hyundai nor from Apollo to bear or even share this cost. This serious lapse in quality is again appalling for a trusted brand like Hyundai. Not sure if complaining or taking legal action is going to be of any use other than draining my time, money and energy further with nothing coming forth from Apollo or Hyundai.

I am certain I am not the only person to have reported such a problem with these tires.

In Summary,

What went well:
1. Shreem Hyundai was always responsive and supportive, promptly registered complaint, acknowledged the problem, sent the technician and got the issue rectified.
2. Navjivan Hyundai staff (Mr Nilesh, Mr Hitendra) were super helpful and constantly with me following up on the status of the tires.
3. Navjivan Hyundai staff (Mr. Srinath) stayed with me from morning till evening driving me around to various tire shops, waited with me till the four tires were replaced and wished me luck before heading off. Didn’t accept any tips, nothing. Thorough gentleman.
4. KS Tires - replaced the tires and did good job of fitting and balancing/alignment
5. Hyundai RSA team called multiple times during the day to follow-up on the status of the complaint and resolution

What could have been done better:
1. Quality control or design choice on Hyundai’s part on choosing Apollo tires or choosing one with a 55 section for such a segment of car. Seems to be prone to sidewall bursts.
2. Coordination between Hyundai RSA team and Hyundai service centre to ensure tire of this size was available. There was ample time to make sure of this.
3. Communication between Hyundai RSA team and Towing recovery van on where to drop the vehicle - they asked us to choose where to drop the vehicle and having no idea of that area, I just searched on Google maps for the nearest service centre. Then too he took us to the accident workshop and Hyundai RSA team were completely unaware of where he had taken us.
4. It took from 10am - 4pm to locate a shop that had these tire size available. The problem solving could have been much better and a list of shops having this size of tire or even Hyundai’s own stockyards having supply of these tires is essential given that it is prone to these sidewall issues due to the 55 section.
5. No warranty/guarantee from Hyundai or Apollo for such an issue for a car that has been driven only 700 kms and is not even completed first 60 days of ownership.

I would only advise buyers of this car to be very careful when driving it over rough patches. Some photos are attached.

Hyundai Alcazar Review-d431df9edbb649a88d7acc234a5f1143.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_1214.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_1216.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_1221.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_1222.jpg
Hyundai Alcazar Review-screenshot-20230103-4.19.56-pm.png
farhadtarapore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:44   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post

we noticed the AC was not working. It was blowing hot air after 5 minutes of working fine.

Apollo Apterra 215/55 R18 tires. These seem to be of inferior quality since two of the tires had a sidewall burst at relatively slow speed (50-60 kmph) when going over a rough patch of road on NH48 highway.
It's unfortunate that you had two such incidents in a short period with the new car.

With regards to the AC problem, I agree it should have been noticed by the showroom staff as part of their pre-delivery checks. For my Alcazar, I have received a PDI checklist from the dealer's side that their staff had filled in with each item tested working. Did you receive such a checklist ?

I checked the pictures of the damaged tyre and the manufacturing week is 38, 2022. So it appears to be a new tyre. Not sure how this sort of damage could happen for such a new tyre. It puzzles me how Apollo Tyres could shun the warranty claim for such a low mileage car, and why Hyundai accepts this reply ? If you know any senior customer service executives in Hyundai, can you ask them to put pressure on Apollo Tyres ? This can't be acceptable to Hyundai as well, as it's Hyundai's customers who are facing the issue due to third party component.
rvlkiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 22:53   #622
Distinguished - BHPian

Ironically, I had confirmed with a fellow BHPian just yesterday that I should replace my TUV 300's current 215/75 R15 Apollo Apterras with newer Apterras. In a parallel universe, there are those of us who right now speak highly of this tyre brand and model. Moreover my current Apterras are 5 years old and have done very well...

Was the blowout perhaps caused by the low aspect ratio (55%) of the tyres - what if the vehicle's mass calls for a higher aspect ratio? If I remember right, a Crysta owner blew out all 4 of his new tyres with similar (if not same) aspect ratio'd tyres; this was several years ago when the Crysta was new to the market.

Here is the relevant Crysta blow-out post; and on the same thread, you'll find folks mentioning a spate of tyre blow-outs experienced by many other new buyers, it was a bad design idea, Toyota was trying to fix the issue by trying out hard compound tyres, different rim sizes etc. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4461406 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)
Old 4th January 2023, 10:27   #623
BHPian

With regards to the above case, just wondering if R18 235/60 would be a better fit with higher side walls??

Hyundai Alcazar Review-capture.jpg
Old 4th January 2023, 10:51   #624
BHPian

Is there TPMS for the spare tyre on the Alcazar ? The driver console only displays tyre pressure for the 4 primary tyres.
Old 4th January 2023, 11:49   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
With regards to the above case, just wondering if R18 235/60 would be a better fit with higher side walls??
235 might result in higher rolling resistance and drag + wear and tear of suspension or steering due to increased weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlkiran View Post
Is there TPMS for the spare tyre on the Alcazar ? The driver console only displays tyre pressure for the 4 primary tyres.
No I don't see Tyre pressure of spare on the console at least. Even in Signature variant (top end) they've given a steel spare with R17 profile, not the R18.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:37   #626
BHPian

Any feedback from Alcazar owners on the Extended Warranty, Shield of Trust (SOT), and Shield of Trust Super (SOT Super), on their real world benefits ? Which services have you opted for ? The SOT super looks good on paper, but I'm concerned if the dealers just pocket this and not do any actual maintenance ? I may not be present for every service to check if they're changing all consumables / using genuine parts etc. Also, with SoT, do we have to wait for longer for Hyundai dealer/service advisor to get approval to replace parts etc ?
Old 4th January 2023, 18:16   #627

To owners of the Petrol AT variant, how has your long term ownership been? How are the service costs, common niggles faced, and how’s the fuel economy when driving in city traffic?

Our current Toyota has been a dream to own thanks to service experience, and we haven’t owned a Hyundai since a Santro from 2 decades ago. Has it been a hassle free experience with the Alcazar so far?
The only other car we’re considering is the Toyota Hyryder, despite them being very different cars, and the fit and finish of the Alcazar for nearly the same price is a big draw for us. I don’t want my dad who’s in his mid 50s, to regret his purchase.
Old 5th January 2023, 02:03   #628
BHPian

Happy New Year to everyone out here !

Just wanted to update on the 10k service, and also get a query answered.

My Alcazar's 10k service was completed with usual engine oil, oil filter, etc replacement (bill amount - Rs: 4,616/- including wheel alignment/ balancing/ rotation as well as some Mobis branded windshield washer, tyre dresser sachets with nominal value). Vehicle didn't have any issues last 1 year/ ~9k KMs to report; so the servicing was just the regular one.

My query is about the wheel rotation. Since Alcazar (1.5D AT Prestige (O) model) has TPMS, just wondering if there is a need to reset any values/ information after a tyre rotation since the tyres would change their locations (F-L, F-R, R-L, etc) during the rotation. The last tyre rotation was done at the Hyundai Service Centre, I am not quite sure about if they had done any resets/ setting changes after rotation so that the pressure readings are shown accurately. I am looking to get it done outside next time in next 7-8k KMs, and hence the query.

Has anyone done tyre rotation by someone outside the Hyundai authorized service centre? If yes, are you aware of any setting changes required related to TPMS after rotation? Any input on this is highly appreciated, Thanks.

PS: Attaching a few random pics during last trip back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-1.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar Review-2.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar Review-3.jpg  

sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 11:58   #629
BHPian

Petrol 2.0 AT 6 seater. 13K ODO. 1 year on 2nd JAN. I got a side wall puncture - 2 nos (not a burst) in DEC, been topping the air every week, it takes about 8-10 days to go to 29 from 33 psi. I mean I got the punctures fixed, but they still leak. Now am thinking of replacing the one tire. Should I get the same brand (Apollo Apterra 215/55 R18) or can i change the brand? Same ratings but the treads wont match.
Otherwise the car's been a dream - city, highway, ghats and while loaded to the gills.
Please do advise if I can change the tire brand for just one wheel.
Old 5th January 2023, 12:51   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
235 might result in higher rolling resistance and drag + wear and tear of suspension or steering due to increased weight.
Well that would be the obvious issues , but will the driving safety offset these factors.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th January 2023 at 12:02. Reason: Quote tags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks