Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2022, 09:38   #511

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Any help around the VIN decoding and PDI list would be appreciated
What is your VIN? There's a seperate VIN decoding thread on the forum, share it and someone will help you decode it.
PDI checklist http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-checklist.pdf
bond_008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 11:53   #512

There is no specific PDI list for Tucson. However, when I did the PDI for my car, these were the observations (I did the PDI in the warehouse in Pune. I was told the car came the previous day of my visit):
  • The odometer read 18 kms
  • All the tyres had covers to them. Kind of a solid plastic on the rims
  • Of-course all the seats were with plastic
  • No signs of foot placement on the mats
  • The "Hyundai" logo on the tyres was masked with a white tape. Usually the way when test drive cars are in the market to hide the brand name
  • Every small thing was covered with a white-tape. Even the external body in the back near the glass had a strip of white tape on it.
  • The tyres didn't show any signs of driving as such

Quote:
Folks,
I am finally going for the PDI of my Tucson tomorrow. I have booked an Amazon Grey Signature Diesel, and had pre booked it in July itself. Putting down some thoughts and also a few questions which would be good to get some insights upon.
  • I have got the insurance from outside and the dealer (nearly )matched. Interestingly policybazaar only shows one provider for this model.
  • I got a 17 number VIN today and I could not get much info about the vehicle and it’s allocation details online - where should I be looking?
  • Is there a Tucson specific PDI list which would be available?
  • Interestingly the screen grab of the VIN details chart shows this as a service vehicle - I checked with the showroom to ensure that this is a new delivery vehicle and not a show or test drive vehicle. They confirmed that this is a new vehicle with around 20-40 km on the odometer. The term ‘service’ refers to the fact that the vehicle is now coming in to the service station. I find it odd, but will chk and confirm again tomorrow.
  • Although I have gone for a 4th year extended warranty, any recommendations around the Shield of Trust offering? Has any one in the group taken it?

That’s what I had in my mind right now. Will post some more thoughts and queries tomorrow. Any help around the VIN decoding and PDI list would be appreciated

Thanks
The Blue Panda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 19:14   #513

Hi,

I have booked the new Tucson 2022 Automatic AWD. In my test drive vehicle, when I opened the sunroof, it only opened till half (half of the front portion of the sunroof), but I just saw a video on YouTube in which, the sunroof is opened completely. I just want to ask other owners about the same. I have attached the pictures and the link to the video.

Link -( )

Thanks
AG532
Attached Thumbnails
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-screenshot-20220930-11.42.54-am.png  

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2022 at 18:56. Reason: Edited for better readability
AG532 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th October 2022, 09:18   #514
BHPian

Quote:
I got a 17 number VIN today and I could not get much info about the vehicle and it’s allocation details online - where should I be looking?
Open the bonnet and there is a 19-character(17+<*x>) VIN punched on the chassis. The last letter will tell you the mfg number for Hyundai. Use this key.

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-screenshot-oct-15-091747.png
naikameya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 18:52   #515
BHPian

Thank you naikameya, bond008 and bluepanda for your responses and references.

Sharing some more updates
- Did my PDI and as shared by other folks nearly all internal parts had a film for protection
- Odo reading was 28 km
- Another display Tucson had plastic covering the alloy, mine did not. I guess as it was driven from the yard, it must have been removed.
- VIN - I have been only able to locate the 17 digit vin, which does not offer much help. I have not seen the 19 digit vin in the engine bay yet. Will look for it. The 17 digit VIN does tell me the year of manufacture being 2022, and I think Sep as the month.
- The VIN starts with MAL which makes the country of manufacturing as India. I am calling this out as I would have thought that the country of manufacturing might be the place where the kit was brought in from. Was just curious for that bit.
- I done some research on the web and also the Team BHP threads but don’t have complete clarity yet on the Hyundai VIN business. I think this becomes immaterial for me going forward, but must be worthwhile for other folks to investigate further.

Thank you folks and will share an update once I get the vehicle.
Old 16th October 2022, 12:29   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

@amitdan: minor worry point. Each manufacturer deals with the VIN thingy differently for CKD vehicles.

For example, my BMW 330i VIN decode reveals it was manufactured in BMW Munich (in kit form) in October 2019 and assembled in India in February 2020. I ultimately bought it during Unlock 1.0 in June 2020.

These are non-issues. Enjoy your new vehicle!
Old 18th October 2022, 10:31   #517

It’s been almost two weeks since I took the delivery of Tucson AWD in Starry Night, I finally got a chance to write about the initial impressions.

Have experienced driving the 3rd and 4th gen Tucson, cars of the same segment – RAV-4, Rogue, CR-V in the USA and Canada, cross country for 1000s of miles. At first, I found the 4th generation’s design quite edgy, the acceleration and power were adequate, as it has a naturally aspirated engine. But I always loved the understated looks of 3rd gen, and I am still a fan of Hyundai’s fluidic design language.

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo9.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo8.jpg

Had been following the news that 4th gen would be launched in June – July 2022. What’s most important – it’s such an all-rounder car! It’s roomy, fast, practical and comfortable! In the sea of crossovers like Creta, Seltos, etc., Tucson is a segment above and it shows, in each aspect! Being the international spec model, it’s a different kind of Hyundai, unlike the others on offer. I was quite excited when Hyundai launched the 4th generation Tucson, and it was quite a relief to know that the car on offer is CKD, so the build quality, safety ratings, features on offer (except shift by wire, paddle shift, remote parking, plug-in hybrid models missing) will match the international specs. In my opinion, it’s one of the most practical cars under 50 lac rupees, period!

The other contenders were VW Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq, but instantly skipped them after reading the horror stories on this forum.

Test Drive

Once the Tucson was available at the showroom in India, the first thing I noticed is that the car feels long! The USA spec version was comfortable and roomy enough, the LWB version feels large, especially in the second row! I took the test drive of 2.0L CRDi. (I’ll consolidate the summary of test drive, initial ownership review)

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo11.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo10.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo13.jpg

Delivery Experience

I decided to get the car at Ujjwal Hyundai in my hometown – Nashik. I was already acquainted with the sales manager, Mr. Vishal Pate. I had a wonderful experience with the previous cars. Mr. Vishal knew I was looking forward getting the new Tucson, he booked my car in the system on the launch day and ensured me faster availability, car allotment, and delivery with my color and variant of choice. He was knowledgeable, provided appropriate details in a direct, calm and polite way, with relentless co-ordination and no false promises. The documents and payment processes were done timely and was periodically informed about the status updates. He went above and beyond to get things done on time, didn’t force me to get insurance from the dealership and helped me get the choice number. The car was shipped to the dealer during the last week of September. PDI was done using Team-BHP’s checklist and it ticked all the boxes.

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo2-2.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo4-2.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo3-2.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-2.jpg

The VIN number matched, and it was indeed a Sep 2022 car. Got the delivery on the auspicious day of Dassehra.

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo6.jpg

A big thank you to Mr. Vishal, it was his job to provide a good experience but such little things and the urge to fulfill customer needs, enhances the overall car purchase experience.

Some pictures post ceramic coating

2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-6.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-7.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo2.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo3.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo7.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo4.jpg
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo5.jpg

Mandatory wash, 1 week after ceramic coating:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-4.jpg

Summary

Positives:
1. Safety – This car received 5-star GNCAP rating, along with a strong and stable body structure, level 2 ADAS just works! More on that later.

2. Engine and gearbox combination – The diesel engine is powerful and torquey, never felt like it’s running out of breath. This torque converter never struggled to shift to the right gear, silky smooth shifts. Goes fast, can do crazy speeds in no time. The engine noise / vibration is not felt, it’s silent and refined. The passengers might get confused whether it’s a petrol or a diesel car.

3. Fill it and forget it – Being a diesel engine, it’s frugal, managed to get ~19kmpl on the highway. Combined mileage ranged from 14 – 17kmpl in normal mode. Full tank showed a range of 760km. Also, being an international spec Hyundai, it scores high on reliability quotient. We’ve seen this time and again on previous gen Tucson, Santa Fe and Elantra. Their dealership and service network across the country gives a relief. Just in case something goes wrong on the highway or the mountains, a local mechanic would be able to fix a Hyundai so you can continue going places, rather flatbed your VW / Skoda to the nearest dealership while you’re still pulling your hair out if it’ll be fixed in the few days.
The mileage is with AC ON and on the highway. ECO mode barely squeezes 1 - 1.5 kmpl more than normal mode. Also notice the smart cruise control symbol. Works quite well, more on that in “ADAS” section. Notice the “Auto” below headlamp symbol, that’s for auto high beam assist, more on that in “Lights” section:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-3.jpg

4. Decent handling and ride quality – Especially for a crossover of this segment, it handles quite well. There might be a thud for larger potholes, but not felt in the cabin, takes on bad roads easily. The car feels stable and rock steady at high speeds. It can do triple digit speeds comfortably all day without breaking a sweat! Steering is good, doesn’t feel vague, it’s light enough for city drives, it does weigh down in sport mode. Braking has enough bite to slow down and stop the car. You’re looking at the wrong car to carve curves on the twisty roads, the suspension is a bit too soft for that, that doesn’t mean it’s bouncy, it’s not, but then, cars of such segments are meant to have soft setups, for those comfortable highway cross-country tours. Get a BMW 3 series for those twisty roads! But it’s one of the perfect cross-country tourers.
Notice the shocks / springs are from KIA:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo1-5.jpg

5. Ingress / Egress and Ergonomics – My parents can easily slide in on the seats. It’s effortless. The seating is quite good when adjusted to the preferred position. The commanding driving position gives confidence in driving through the city roads and highway. The body roll was felt quite a lot, only to realize that the tire pressure needed to be adjusted, ever since, it’s well contained and gets quite comfortable. The steering wheel size of these new Hyundai are a little small for my liking.

6. Exteriors – The edgy looks of this car have grown on me. The dark chrome grille looks amazing! Looks futuristic and beautiful in this shade of blue. It surely does turn heads at the traffic signals and parking spots! The panel gaps are consistent and even! The fit and finish looks tight and precise.

7. Interiors – LOADS of space! The LWB is quite spacious, oodles of space in the second row! Stark contrast from the edgy exteriors, the minimal interiors with grey / black tone seats / dashboard makes the cabin feel spacious! The cabin feels quiet. Entry level German crossovers might feel cramped on the back seats and head room compared to this one. Perfect for our airport runs! The fit and finish is on par the Germans.

8. Climate Control – It’s excellent. The diffuse mode along with ventilated seats is the sweet spot for the comfortable long drives. A hot cabin is cooled in no time.

9. Infotainment System – Works fine as expected, sound quality is excellent but like a typical Bose sound stage, the low-end bass has that wavy punch, the vocals aren’t distorted. I do enjoy living on the bleeding edge of tech, but it’s always fun to go back to using retro tech, sadly, it doesn’t support iPod.
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo2-3.jpg

Haven’t taken the plastics off my car yet. On the other car that I’ve driven, the piano black finish triggers the OCD when covered with fingerprints and dust, looks excellent when clean. Considering PPF / other solutions to avoid eyesore.
Infotainment screen showing CarPlay home screen, wish it was wireless, the screen is sharp, bright and smooth:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Review-photo3-3.jpg

10. Lights – There’s a lack of information regarding the headlights on offer for the new Tucson. It’s obvious that lack of projectors as an option made us skeptical about performance of the MFRs. Even though they’re not projectors, the MFRs have sufficient throw and offers surprisingly good visibility on low and high beams. They don’t perform poorly as anticipated earlier. The road and the traffic visibility are quite good on the highway. The high beam assist does aid while driving on the highway at night. Highway drives while raining at night is comfortable using these headlights.

11. ADAS – Even if Hyundai claims that the car’s radars are optimized for Indian road conditions, one shouldn’t completely rely on ADAS. Factors like roads not well marked, bad road engineering, some aggressive moron cutting you off and someone might rear end you when the car suddenly slows down. These assist features are quite helpful and makes driving more convenient, but they might not fully function due to road and weather conditions, it’s the driver’s instinct of safe driving and they should have their eyes on the road.

Negatives
1. Pricing – Being a seller’s market, this car is expensive, ~42Lacs for a fully loaded Diesel with HTRAC

2. Parking – Parking this car can be challenging in tight spots.

3. Lack of physical buttons for climate control – Now here’s the thing, sometimes, you do want to take control of the fan speeds of climate control, and these modern cars have touch based controls. It gets annoying to take your eyes off the road to operate this touch-based climate control. No, voice commands are not intuitive. There’s no harm in providing retro dials to control the volume and temperatures!

Wishlist
1. Dashcam
2. Tire inflator

I'm loving this car so far, planning few road trips and will post long term ownership reviews! Thank you!

-992TurboS

Mods, please make appropriate changes in the post as necessary, thank you!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2022 at 19:20. Reason: As requested
992TurboS is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:09   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 992TurboS View Post
It’s been almost two weeks since I took the delivery of Tucson AWD in Starry Night, I finally got a chance to write about the initial impressions of Tucson AWD in Starry Night.
Hi 992TurboS, Congratulations on your new car and post ceramic it just looks awesome. Nice information about the car handling and capabilities. The car space inside for a family to travel together is more than adequate for a luxurious travel. I have the same color but 2WD diesel. Wishing you many many more miles with the new car.

Regards
sethu.murali is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 16:37   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangaloreans, anyone managed to get a test drive of the Tucson?

It seems dealer principals have received only one vehicle for all their showrooms, and Trident has already totaled their TD vehicle (quick work!).
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:17   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

It seems dealer principals have received only one vehicle for all their showrooms, and Trident has already totaled their TD vehicle (quick work!).
I live right by Advaith Hyundai on Outer Ring Road. I see their Test Drive Tucson almost everyday either parked in the dealership or being driven in and around outer ring road.
TejasKinger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 01:52   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

DM me if you need a contact - i can send you my SA details. He's quite awesome and very responsive.
sudiptaadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 11:59   #522
BHPian

Superb looking car you got there 992! The Tucson should be bought only and only in diesel. 156 hp and 192 nm are not the power figures for this big a car. I have always loved the 3rd gen Tucson, Elantra and Santa Fe due to their elegant looks. This one will need some time to adjust to the looks, but looks really mean in this colour. Many miles of smiles!
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:05   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2370149
You can also say they are from Genesis!
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:29   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Safety – This car received 5-star GNCAP rating, along with a strong and stable body structure
The Tucson has not been tested by GNCAP as far as I can find. The Euro-spec version received 5-stars in Euro NCAP while the spec sent to Latin NCAP initially got 0-star after which Hyundai made some improvements and added more safety equipment as standard. It then received 3-stars in Latin NCAP.

I'm not sure what spec we get here in India and how it will fare in the GNCAP tests for India.
batladanny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:18   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2370149
[/i]
Congratulations on your purchase and here's to wishing you many years of driving pleasure and a happy ownership experience!

The spring also has a genesis logo on it Genesis=Hyundai's Lexus
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks