Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2023, 11:54   #2296
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

I have been part of lodging complaints as a group with over 500 members against various brands including Tata, Nissan, Ford, as well as Yamaha for their R15M. And let me tell you, it won't bring any solutions. They will simply respond with a "Thank you for your concern" and state that they will forward it to the respective departments. Maybe, just maybe, it will get fixed in the next version which for me, only happened with Yamaha. The stock output is still better than that of most cars on the road anyway!
Old 16th September 2023, 16:02   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
The stock output is still better than that of most cars on the road anyway!
The stock output is truly horrible and is definitely not as good as most cars on the road, even those that are 5 years older.

However, I guess they will just point to some restriction or the other on how bright headlights can get and say it was done for the safety of other road users.

BUT, once it is shown that there is a significant number of people who want better headlights, then their dealerships might start importing some quality replacements for those who are willing to pay for it. For example: most Toyota dealerships already offer horn upgrades. If we can get the lights module upgraded from the Toyota dealership itself, it won’t void the warranty and it would be more trustworthy than getting it done from some random 3rd party shop.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 17:56   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAwX View Post
Even the fog lamps could be improved alot with a superior 2-inch aftermarket projector. Here's some examples I found for the fog lamp retrofits:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=n8bycHhB1nE

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=g1pSw8FwBqY
Thanks for sharing. Will these have below issues:
1. Does is need any cutting of original wiring or is it a plug-and-play?
2. Any bumper or plastic cutting?
3. Will it void warranty?
4. Will it put excessive load and lead to blown fuses or errors/warnings on the instrument cluster? I assume they are using original wiring of fog lamps (for models that come with it).

It is so ironic that we have to go through this hassle for a 35+ lakh car and that too for as basic a thing as head lights! I was suspicious in the beginning itself as it is not a projector setup, but none of the reviews really raised it as a big issue. Based on that I gave their "Tri-LED" marketing jargon some benefit of doubt. I believe it is also a common problem with LED headlights in general, that they look bright (and cause glaring) when you look at them, but they don't do a good job in term of actual visibility as compared to traditional halogens leave alone HIDs etc. LED light seems to cause a lot of reflection from dust/fog/rain thereby reducing visibility and even under normal conditions it is low more so for tar roads. Their spread when used with reflector type lights is also bad, patchy.
santosh.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 18:29   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
BUT, once it is shown that there is a significant number of people who want better headlights, then their dealerships might start importing some quality replacements for those who are willing to pay for it.
Trust me, I would really like to see that happen. Also, I trust Mr. Annson more than anyone from any dealership for lighting solutions. Check out the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
1. Does is need any cutting of original wiring or is it a plug-and-play?
2. Any bumper or plastic cutting?
3. Will it void warranty?
4. Will it put excessive load and lead to blown fuses or errors/warnings on the instrument cluster?
1. There won't be any cutting and 95% of retrofits in general are plug and play. I am not sure about the hycross. One will need to check it with a professional.
2. There could be some plastic cutting invloved if its the fog lamps. Again, the parts have started to arrive so we can get aftermarket parts to cut just for this purpose.

3. Nope
4. Also a No as far as I know.

Personally, I never liked any of the stock outputs from Japanese car brands. My W211 E55 also had very poor output with german over-engineering. Going aftermarket for better light throw and intensity is one of my preferences, as dealers always have some kind of limitations they need to meet.
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 18:37   #2300
BHPian

I think we all should write a mail to voc-customer care email in bulk and see their response. If possible we should tag higher Toyota officials. Innova is bought for highway usage and that’s where the inadequate lighting is not acceptable. I had previous Innova with halogen and it was never an issue.

Atleast we should escalate to bring it to their knowledge

We should have a Pan India level solution which can come only through a authorised dealer

Last edited by samitjain : 16th September 2023 at 18:39.
samitjain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 23:41   #2301
BHPian

Back with a short update after 6 months,
Recently did a 1200 km road trip in Hycross there were 5 people including luggage here are some observations from the trip and overall observations till now after 6 months and 5000kms:

1. Suspension is amazing and the car has that glide-like feeling, also the suspension is solid and has that robust feel to it. It handles abuse very well.
2. There is a quality and feeling of solidity in the car overall which is there but very difficult to explain and can only be felt with long-term use.
3. Ride quality and comfort is superb even after 5 to 6 hours drive there was no fatigue at all, it is true when people say you arrive fresher in an Innova.
4. While climbing the ghats, which were around 40 km, mileage drops significantly coming to as low as 10-12kmpl.
5. While climbing down the ghats I let it just coast and was mostly in EV mode here one thing I noticed was that the engine was running most of the time when the battery was full and it was regenerating maybe it is to do with the cooling system of hybrid, I have driven in the ghats earlier also and there while climbing down car was mostly on EV mode I think this operation varies a lot depending on several factors.
6. Overall got a mileage of approximately 18kmpl, On full tank I reset the trip meter and covered 710 km before it showed a low fuel warning.
7. It feels best to cruise below 100 due to excessive wind noise.
8. Headlights are just pathetic as everyone is saying at night it does not inspire much confidence, I am just clueless about the headlight situation.
9. Also i noticed that you can play audio from any source while still connected to Android Auto, i was playing music from my phone via Bluetooth while using maps via Android Auto from another phone.

Here are some snaps from the trip:
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230917_232718.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20230917_233125.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2023 at 06:00. Reason: Typos, capital letters, spacing
manofinfinity is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 08:02   #2302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
5. While climbing down the ghats I let it just coast and was mostly in EV mode here one thing I noticed was that the engine was running most of the time when the battery was full and it was regenerating maybe it is to do with the cooling system of hybrid, I have driven in the ghats earlier also and there while climbing down car was mostly on EV mode I think this operation varies a lot depending on several factors.
The reason it does this is to prevent overcharging of the battery. Once the battery is fully charged, it switches from regenerative braking to engine braking. And don't worry, fuel is not being injected here, its just the vacuum of the cylinders being used to provide engine braking.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 09:30   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason it does this is to prevent overcharging of the battery. Once the battery is fully charged, it switches from regenerative braking to engine braking. And don't worry, fuel is not being injected here, its just the vacuum of the cylinders being used to provide engine braking.
Wow! That's super cool. The hybrid system used by Toyota seems to be a very matured one with most edge cases taken care of.
And yes, DFCO ( Deceleration Fuel Cut Off ) ensures that there is no fuel injected while coasting down a hill with engine on.

Last edited by amalji : 18th September 2023 at 09:31.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 09:54   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
And don't worry, fuel is not being injected here, its just the vacuum of the cylinders being used to provide engine braking.
Really? I thought that the noise which comes from the engine while standing still and while going downhill is the same and coming from fuel being burnt (controlled explosion). Had there been a vacuum, there should not have been less noise. if possible, can you share any excerpt where this technology is mentioned?
Old 18th September 2023, 11:30   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The hybrid system used by Toyota seems to be a very matured one with most edge cases taken care of.
Yes, and it is expected as they have refined it over decades altogether and what we are getting is the latest version of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Really? I thought that the noise which comes from the engine while standing still and while going downhill is the same and coming from fuel being burnt (controlled explosion). Had there been a vacuum, there should not have been less noise. if possible, can you share any excerpt where this technology is mentioned?
Next time you can enable hybrid system graphics and confirm what's really going on. It keeps switching modes dynamically, intelligently and super smoothly to the extent that you will hardly notice it if at all.
Old 18th September 2023, 11:56   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
The engine noise while idling and coasting downhill is distinctly different on any ICE engine. Refer this link on DFCO

Last edited by amalji : 18th September 2023 at 11:57.
Old 18th September 2023, 20:46   #2307
BHPian

Kindly suggest tire upgrade options with the same size 225/50 R18 as replacement for the stock tires.

Thanks.
Old 20th September 2023, 23:07   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitesh_Drive View Post
Members owning Hycross GX, VX and VX(O) can get front DRL (as ZX) which also converts to swiping indicators (aftermarket kit).

The product might be Chinese but it will enhance your Hycross's front looks.
This looks great, but VX trim seems to have parking sensor integrated to the black portion, this aftermarket doesn't seem to have the gap for the same!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20230920_230523.jpg  

Old 21st September 2023, 09:58   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This looks great, but VX trim seems to have parking sensor integrated to the black portion, this aftermarket doesn't seem to have the gap for the same!
True, but now many aftermarket options for DRL are available at various places, wherein this slot for the front parking sensors are also available. You can check them out. It's prices range from 5500/- to 6500/- in Delhi.
Ajitesh_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 12:49   #2310

Innova Hycross ZXO Accessories

hi friends, I have booked my Innova Hycross VXO which has a waiting period of one year and using some contacts I am taking delivery of ZXO Attitude Black tomorrow. Need advice on the accessories to be fitted from the showroom in Hyderabad Harsha Toyota. They advised the following: Floor mats 3D - 9,800, Mud Guard Black - 3,600, Luggage Tray - 2,800, Muffler Cutter - 2,200, Side P Mold (Black & Chrome) - 10,900, Rear Bike Protector - 10,900, Car Cover - 3,200, Foot Steps (Fortuner Model) - 17,500. Kindly advise if I can ignore some of these and should I take anything else? TIA, regards, VARMA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks