Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2023, 13:07   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

A great news for those from Chandigarh, they have decided to completely waive off road tax for strong and plug-in hybrid vehicles! Hycross will get significantly cheaper for them as compared to non-hybrid alternatives.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/ch...ndigarh-532487

Not sure whether it is limited to the city of Chandigarh or entire Punjab. In my humble opinion, (strong) hybrids do deserve to be given all the benefits that EV enjoys. So, I wish all states should follow suit, but seems unlikely.
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 13:42   #2147

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock3001 View Post
Looking forward to more details from your end.
I paid 3.5k for roof rails ( it had a Rs. 1000 discount when i first checked but the discount disappeared by the time i ordered) , 1.5k for chrome window strips/garnish and 850 for side vent covers. sending you the link for reference https://www.carplus.in/collections/i...roducts&page=3

I just noticed that the Led DRL is now available on carplus as well for 6.5k. When I checked with many vendors on DRL a couple of weeks back no one had them, so i ordered online but now in hindsight I guess I should have waited . I haven't received it as yet, I will update pics once I get them installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-unnamed-62.jpg  

rjm_kmj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 22:02   #2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitesh_Drive View Post
Members owning Hycross GX, VX and VX(O) can get front DRL (as ZX) which also converts to swiping indicators (aftermarket kit).

The product might be Chinese but it will enhance your Hycross's front looks.

Vendor - Car Heaven
Location - Ashok Vihar, North Delhi

For reference, please have a look at the images.
A similar led DRL is now listed on this website. Has anyone tried these ?

https://carhatke.com/toyota-innova-h...b&currency=INR
Old 15th August 2023, 01:37   #2149
Senior - BHPian

Went on a trip to Vellankani, Tamil Nadu and back over the weekend. Nothing like a total of 1000kms over 2 days covered to fully familiarise yourself with your car.

Once the hybrid battery is almost fully charged, the engine can turn off and the Hycross can maintain it's speed using only the electric motors until either the battery charge drops or you encounter the added resistance of an upward slope or you try to accelerate. Any of these conditions will lead to the engine turning back on for additional power.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1549.jpg
Driving with just the electric motor at 99kmph. Note the EV sign and the MID displaying battery providing power to the wheels.

The 40 kmph limit applies only to the forced EV mode from the button on the transmission. This is meant to be used for moving your car around in parking lots etc without losing energy by turning on the engine when it will be turned off again before it is even warm.

The highway handling is great, with a well settled ride and minimal body roll despite the size. Adaptive cruise control will slow down for some curves if it thinks it is too steep. Not sure how it judges them but it seems to know what it is doing. Caught me off guard only once when it went into a curve that I would have normally slowed down for at full speed but ADAS still maintained it's lane without me even intervening. There was no drama but it did alarm me because that was unexpected so I turned the set speed down a notch.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_15631.jpg
Decent mileage can be achieved even in sport mode if you don't constantly drive with a heavy foot

Power on offer is pretty good. Change it to power/sport mode and it feels like a different car entirely. A light shove on the accelerator is enough to immediately send it roaring forward. The electric motors are always assisting and there is no waiting for a downshift or for a turbo to spool up. If the hybrid battery charge is too low, the engine revs up higher to compensate.

Dislikes:

Noise:
One thing to note here is the noise from the tyres and the wind. On a windy day, you can hear the turbulence from the wind and the noise of the tyres very clearly at speeds above 100. The tyre noise can be taken care off by upgrading to some premium rubbers but I'm at a loss about what to do for wind noise.
Despite being a hybrid, the engine can get very loud if the needle crosses over into power zone on the tacho when accelerating. You can't even hear the 120kmph beeps over the sound of the engine if you floor it.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-b4d6ae7f59a148a4b4c48ee3d9b00d6a.jpg

Despite the looks of the tri-beam LED headlights, the light output and throw is rather pathetic especially on high beam. It rained heavily on the first day and I had to slow down to a crawl as I couldn't see anything. To make matters worse, most cars here had upgraded or auxiliary headlamps and couldn't even be bothered to dim their lights. I desperately want to upgrade them but the LED bulbs are not removable! You will need to change the entire headlamp cluster because these are sealed units

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_1623.jpg
Switching over from driving and sitting in the back seat was relaxing.

The low profile 18 inch wheels along with the recommended 35 psi means that you will notice broken patches but it is still comfortable. I accidentally sped through one of those trio of speed breakers that I saw too late at night. Braced myself for the worst and pulled over to a gas station to check. Couldn't find any damage and there was no slow leak of air from the tyres over the next day either. Do the same in a European luxury car and your trip will turn into a hunt for a tyre shop that is open at 12am to fix your bent rims (personal experience with a Volvo S60 and a BMW X1).
I will put up with the bad plastics for the peace of mind on a rainy night in an unfamiliar place.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_6135.jpg
Received this error while driving on the highway the second day.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-img_6136.jpg
Thankfully, it also said what was wrong and showed exactly which sensor was blocked. Turned out to just be some dirt. Just sprayed some water on the sensor and then wiped it with a microfiber cloth and everything was back to normal.

Overall a good trip
Cresterk is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 22:48   #2150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Went on a trip to Vellankani, Tamil Nadu and back over the weekend. Nothing like a total of 1000kms over 2 days covered to fully familiarise yourself with your car.
Your observations are on point,Adding to what you just said, the wind and the lack of any sound deading does not inspire confidence for high speeds, it does not mask it's speed well,100,110 is fine but anything beyond and you feel the speed and wind noise.

This is where the Germans shine in department of speed masking in my vento 100 feels like 80 also it may be due to excellent sound deadaning provided by factory itself.

Owners of hycross who have done sound deadaning what is your experience in this regard?
manofinfinity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 01:12   #2151
BHPian

Has anyone got a waiting period < 6 months for GX petrol hycross?
I booked in June and delivery is April 2024 from Calicut dealer
Old 16th August 2023, 13:01   #2152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Your observations are on point,Adding to what you just said, the wind and the lack of any sound deading does not inspire confidence for high speeds, it does not mask it's speed well,100,110 is fine but anything beyond and you feel the speed and wind noise.

This is where the Germans shine in department of speed masking in my vento 100 feels like 80 also it may be due to excellent sound deadaning provided by factory itself.

Owners of hycross who have done sound deadaning what is your experience in this regard?
It's a bit of a downer because the rest of the car is fine with even higher speeds. The engine has more than enough power, the chassis and suspension have no issues with stability even on turns or expansion joints and the brakes inspire confidence even at unmentionable speeds. It's just the noise taking you out of it because it becomes uncomfortable for prolonged high speed drives.

I think being a small sedan might also contribute since it is more aerodynamic and has less area for the wind to hit. The more "muscular looking" a car, the more it is prone to wind noise.

I remember another BHpian @paritoshkalra mentioning having done sound damping on his Hycross. Would be interesting to see his observations. I am a bit reluctant about removing all the factory fitted panels to install sound insulation.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 15:49   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
It's a bit of a downer because the rest of the car is fine with even higher speeds. The engine has more than enough power, the chassis and suspension have no issues with stability even on turns or expansion joints and the brakes inspire confidence even at unmentionable speeds. It's just the noise taking you out of it because it becomes uncomfortable for prolonged high speed drives.

I think being a small sedan might also contribute since it is more aerodynamic and has less area for the wind to hit. The more "muscular looking" a car, the more it is prone to wind noise.

I remember another BHpian @paritoshkalra mentioning having done sound damping on his Hycross. Would be interesting to see his observations. I am a bit reluctant about removing all the factory fitted panels to install sound insulation.
I have felt confident driving 120+ speeds out on a clear highway. Max speed I have touched confidently on my Hycross was 145 on a clear road. It was done just for testing purpose. We need to play music to actually cut short the continuous beep post the speed of 120. In actual, the recommended speed is 120 at max for Indian highways and we should avoid higher speeds. There were absolutely no rattles or any wind noise felt inside. I am not the only one who has got damping installed in Hycross. You will find 100s of Hycross owners opting for damping in this vehicle. I feel that its quite necessary for this car. Please get it done from a premium reputed firm. You can find many videos on YouTube for the same. As I mentioned in my previous posts, the in-cabin experience is far better post damping which can not be explained in words.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 11:10   #2154
BHPian

Re: Sun Shade

Has anyone got sun shades for the Hycross? I only need for the front seats as the rear ones have the inbuilt curtain and the last row doesn't require it as the window is quite small. Buying all 6 is just a waste. So any suggestion as to where i can get only for front seats?
Old 17th August 2023, 12:22   #2155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Has anyone got sun shades for the Hycross? I only need for the front seats as the rear ones have the inbuilt curtain and the last row doesn't require it as the window is quite small. Buying all 6 is just a waste. So any suggestion as to where i can get only for front seats?
I had to buy the entire set of 6 even though the middle row gets its factory fitted shades. Installed the 4 (front and last row), while kept the middle row in the storage.
sanketdesai82 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 12:28   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanketdesai82 View Post
I had to buy the entire set of 6 even though the middle row gets its factory fitted shades. Installed the 4 (front and last row), while kept the middle row in the storage.
Did you buy them online? If yes, Please share the link
Old 17th August 2023, 13:20   #2157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
Did you buy them online? If yes, Please share the link
Bought it from a local store in Hyderabad - PG road.
Old 17th August 2023, 13:31   #2158
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking at some options for a decent wireless charger. The official accessory sits in the passenger side cubicle which is not only ugly but takes up all the space available in it too.
https://static3.toyotabharat.com/ima...ies-img01.webp

I have been looking for some better options and I found that the Hycross (zenix) sold in Malaysia,indonesia etc can be accessorised with a wireless charger in the openable center console. This is available both as an official accesssory from dealerships as well multiple options from third party.

[ATTACH=digital-om-format-wireless-charger-innova-zenix (1).pdf]2492175[/ATTACH]

Was wondering if anyone saw a similar product in India? Or has anyone tried importing anything from south east asian countries?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf digital-om-format-wireless-charger-innova-zenix (1).pdf (237.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 18th August 2023, 06:52   #2159
BHPian

Toyota Sales breakup July 2023
https://www.rushlane.com/toyota-sale...medium=twitter
Finally Hycross has caught up with crysta in terms of sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-toyotasalesbreakupjuly20231068x986.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-toyotasalesbreakupjuly202311068x788.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-toyotasalesbreakupjuly202321068x788.jpg  

manofinfinity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 08:10   #2160
BHPian

I have taken delivery of new Innova hycross on June 18th in Sparkling Black pearl crystal shine . This color also does not look black in a few angles.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-b801e112b3e144dc90c724e7a31d3b6c.jpeg

Delivery
The delivery experience was smooth except for the insurance. The showroom insisted on their own insurance . The sales team mention battery is not covered under comprehensive insurance if I take it outside . So Toyota sales team also lies. I did not expect this from Toyota. Come on. If they would have told me truth and said we want to make more money, I would have been happier.

Anyway to avoid unnecessary stress , I accepted it and went ahead with the delivery.

Hello to first ownership issue
The drive was smooth for the first 500kms. But then trouble struck. Out of no where the NVH and engine vibrations became excessive. In addition there was khat khat sound coming continuously while driving from front right.

Immediately took it to showroom the following day. It was a Sunday . The technicians opened and diagnosed it to be an issue in front right suspension or engine mount. Since their head technicians were not available and could not do more work without their bosses approval , they asked me to take vehicle back and get back the following day.

The following day, they replaced the hydraulic engine mounts with parts from one of their test drive vehicles and the noise stopped . Now they confirmed the source of the issue. Since part was not available , ordered the part which would take a few days to arrive. I did not want to leave the new vehicle in showroom for 5 days. More over wedding in my family meant I needed a vehicle badly.

So they put the defective part back , assured me there would not be any future issues even if I drive a few 100 kms.

As of now , I am waiting for the part to arrive to get it replaced.

I bought a Toyota for peace of mind. But unfortunately that has not been the case for me. Apparently this is the first such instance that they have seen in across their Hyderabad showrooms and I seem to be the chosen one !

Hopefully this is the first and last such instance.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 18th August 2023 at 08:13. Reason: Change pictur
himavanth_m is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks