Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 15:40   #586
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

The feature list is very 2022/2023; there's nothing you'll miss, esp in the ZX(O). Barring ventilated seats, 360 deg camera and ADAS, even the ZX has pretty much the same kit for ~ 1 lakh less.
Ventilated seats and 360 deg camera are available in the ZX. The only difference between ZX and ZX(O) is TSSS. For that matter 360 deg view is available even in the VX.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 16:04   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Ventilated seats and 360 deg camera are available in the ZX. The only difference between ZX and ZX(O) is TSSS. For that matter 360 deg view is available even in the VX.
Thanks, I stand corrected. The SA passed on incorrect info. He also mentioned that all four windows auto-up/down is only on ZX(O). When they're standard on all variants. Guess it'll be a while until they know the product well.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th January 2023 at 16:19.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 17:56   #588
BHPian

Went and saw Hycross at Ravindu Toyota. My observations below.
  • The windscreen is lot smaller than my Hexa's. The wipers are of different sizes. The bigger one might be 22 inches perhaps. Smaller one is 14 or 16 inches.
  • The dashboard depth towards windshield is decent, but not very big.
  • Plastic quality is a bummer for me. The lever of the middle row left passenger seat for forward-aft adjustment was already broken. Everyone in the showroom is currently using the lever behind the seat. On the RHS middle row seat, I found the same mechanism as very pleasant though. But as clear as daylight, cost cutting is evident.
  • The battery below front seats will definitely be a concern for taller people. But on the plus side, shorter people like me might enjoy it as a foot rest . This might be used more frequently by people than the "Ottoman" gimmick.
  • It seems that Toyota has focused a lot on making space for rear row. The seats are very thin. This has made the seats a lot firmer than I desired.
  • Middle row captain seats have huge forward-aft adjustment range.
  • The doors feels very light.
  • The sunroof controls are good - separate buttons given for the blinds and the glass roof.
  • The rear camera and others in the 360 view set are of pathetic quality.
  • The boot loading floor is comfortably low. Look at the picture of my 4 year old son standing in front of it. The rear row folds flat and almost horizontal. But lack of a middle bench takes that advantage away a little. The luggage that you load might creep towards the middle row through the gap created by captain seats.
    Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230127-5.37.44-pm-1.jpeg
vinodvayyat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 18:32   #589

The SA at Nippon Toyota in Thiruvananthpuram informed me that Hycross will be on display fro 10 AM morning, tomorrow 28/1/2023Toyota Innova Hycross Review-5927f525bdc34686910e5c6bc7253dbf.jpeg
jyothishrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 01:09   #590
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

2) The hand rest for the middle row captain seats behave funny; they don't lock in one position consistently. Sometimes they lock right at the bottom, sometimes on top, and move freely in the 90 deg position. Again, observed this with both display vehicles.
Took me a time to figure it out that it is by design - it locks in position in a certain manner when you pull it up and then push down (or vice versa, can't recollect it exactly).

But you can set the arm rest at different angles you choose to using the designed method.
Old 28th January 2023, 12:18   #591
BHPian

Is it not possible to buy the Petrol G model (the base variant) as an Individual owner?

The SA of MGF Toyota dealership of Gurgaon says it is only for the Taxi segment and not for individual private ownership.

I am talking about this model (screenshot is attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_202301281214382.png  

RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:56   #592
BHPian

So I saw the Hycross at Nandi Toyota today. It was a different place than the one I went in a few weeks back where the SAs were lazing around and virtually no potential customer was there. Today the place was buzzing and there was plenty of support staff as well. And not very unexpectedly, the entire viewing was not streamlined and more like a free for all. They just have one ZX for display. I saw a VX parked outside and requested it to be opened since that’s the variant I have booked. They did open it but the security guards and a few other people were not happy with that move. It is supposedly a test drive vehicle pending registration.

While I was still viewing the car (my SA had not come in yet) I got a call from an unknown number which turned out to be Nandi Toyota itself informing me that my car would be from the first lot that is coming in and they would allocate it soon!

Got more clarity when my SA came in. He said that the first lot should come in on Jan 30/31 and it would take them 3 days to invoice it and post that I could get delivery! Well I wasn’t mentally (and financially!) prepared for this!

Now my impressions of the car:
There are the good points and the not so good points. No show stoppers which we aren’t aware of (notably 2 air bags only). I’ll try to limit my comments to the VX variant though overall the difference in physical features is not much.

Also, couldn’t turn the car on so other features regarding infotainment could not be captured.

I am overall looking at the positive aspects - maybe justifying to myself that why am I spending 30 lakhs!

1. What the Hycross has is space. It just gives the feeling of being a large car with each row having ample seating space. We tried each row and they all were comfortable. In some sense we found the bench seats more comfortable than the captain seats. Even the boot with all 3 rows up has ample storage .
2. The seat colours of the VX are dual black brown and are okay.
Question - since it’s only 2 airbags, can I get the seat covers done?
3. The viewing angle is great. Bonnet is visible all the way through.
4. We are looking at the absence of a sun roof a blessing in disguise (though deep down we would have wanted one) to potentially install a roof mounted storage.
5. The engine bay was clean. Nothing much for me to say there.
6. Battery under the front seat does not hamper the foot space of the passenger.
7. Heaviness of the door was considerable. Though not Fortuner standards.
8. Overall the car has all the basic features. And that’s what one gets. It isn’t anything like the XUV7OO in terms of features and luxury. But the. When I check the Fortuner parked next to it, even that really doesn’t have any infotainment or luxury features.
9. The gear lever in the center didn’t look too odd.

3 colours were present there and I thought the Hycross looked great in all.
The rear for some reason reminded me of a Hexa though.

Now looking forward to the test drive in the coming week. Hope that goes well.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 18:46   #593
BHPian

Checked out the Hycross ZX in white at the showroom.

Observations :

- Front looks good and contemporary. Should have a decent presence on road, more SUV-ish than Crysta
- Ingress/ Egress was easier than the Crysta and the seats esp the 2nd row are set lower
- View from the driver's seat is commanding and has a nice view of the bonnet
- The front console housing the AT is well designed and is ergonomically good
- Good provision of physical buttons for many features
- Space is really good compared to any 7-seater in the segment and even vis-a-is the Fortuner. Sliding second row makes the layout fairly flexible in terms of space. Third row space is decent even when 2nd row is set to a very comfortable position for a 5 10' person. Space & practicality are really the USP of this car
- Boot space is decent, comparable to the current Crysta
- Remote boot closing is a nice add
- Ottoman seats are comfortable esp if you have 4 folks in the car - where you can slide the seat to its furthest back, recline the seat completely and get the ottoman to a comfortable position. This setting makes the seat nearly 160 degree flat - nearly as good as a flat-bed biz class seat
- The front two rows seats are cushioned well and fairly comfortable
- Sun roof makes the cabin look nice and airy
- Good choice of alloys on the ZX, look nice & upmarket
- Soft touch materials used look long lasting
- Dark chestnut (brownish) seats should be relatively easy to maintain
- Sheet metal used and door closing thud was only very slightly inferior to that of the Fortuner, which is very acceptable
- Overall fit and finish, other than the point mentioned in the section below, was in line with what we have come to expect from Toyota

Could be better
- The hard plastics used in most places are economy grade - similar to what one gets in sub-10 lakh cars. Should be good functionally - but dont look anything premium
- Fit & finish specifically for the hard plastics is not even Hyundai grade
- The ambient lighting near the sunroof looks like a cheap thin blue tubelight
- Material used on the roof and the AC vents on the roof are entry level Maruti grade
- The third row seat is relatively thinner compared to first row seats and since there is no quilting on the seat, it exposes the very ordinary grade of art leather used
- The car should have had 60/65 profile tyres instead of 50 profile with the R18s, would have filled the wheel arch better while also improving ride quality

More after the test drive.

Overall no deal breakers as such - and Toyota has been clever (for their profitability) to cut costs where customers may not notice much.

Toyotas in India have never been known to have luxurious interiors - to that extent, the Hycross provides an attractive exterior design & presence while providing a more VFM interior, features, space & practicality laden package than the Innova Crysta or the Fortuner

Last edited by RoadTiger : 28th January 2023 at 18:56.
RoadTiger is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 22:47   #594
BHPian

Did anyone notice that the under-thigh support in 2nd row of Hycross is better in GX/VX as compared to top end ZX?
I had booked VX Hybrid on first day of Innova Hycross Launch with 7-seater configuration and waiting for delivery in March 2023.
Pros of VX over ZX:
1) Better headroom for 2nd and 3rd row in VX as compared to ZX (due to lack of sunroof)
2) Better under-thigh support in 2nd row captain seat variant in VX as compared to ZX (with ottoman seats folded in ZX)
3) Better sidewall height in VX (215 60 R17 tires in VX) as compared to ZX (225 / 50 R18 in ZX)

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-gx-vs-vx.jpg

My SA at Thirty-Six Toyota Faridabad is asking for minimum 10 lakhs payment in advance so that delivery of my Hycross can be prioritized. All the sales-persons and their respective managers are in line with this and asking for 10-20 lakhs of advance payment for speeding up deliveries. They are openly saying that whosoever made the payment first will get the Hycross delivery. Toyota should look into these issues! Has anyone of you experienced similar issues with Toyota dealerships recently?

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th January 2023 at 08:36. Reason: Merged subsequent post into this to avoid back to back posts.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:50   #595
BHPian

Here is the 1st delivery of VX version

VX Hybrid walkaround in detail

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th January 2023 at 15:03. Reason: Merged posts.
Paritoshkalra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 13:35   #596

Had a look at the ZX at Nandi Toyota on Friday. My observations -
Pros:
1. Looks great from the front and rear.
2. Amazing Colors - The Sapphire Black looks brilliant
3. Driver Seat is very comfortable. Makes life easier with all the bells and whistles.

While I wait to drive the car, the real cons, which are more or less deal breakers for me are:
1. Quality of Plastics - My XUV 500 was way way better, at half the price. Matter of fact, there was a Glanza that was parked in the showroom and the plastics on that were much better. Clicked some pictures of the same.
2. The Lever to open the bonnet - My 1999 Santro had better quality lever. Not that I open the bonnet everyday, but in colloquial Kannada this is called "Tagadu Dabbasi"
3. Ottoman Seats - Useless - I am not 6"; At 5"7' I will never be able to use them at full support. Legs get stuck below the Driver seat.
4. Rear Seats - Old Innova and Crysta possibly had better seats. 3 People could easily sit. This effectively is a 6 seater. The last seat is not for 3 people. Extremely difficult to rest the head on the head rest with 3 people in the 3rd row. The under thigh support will not really help in long distance journeys.
5. The Lights in the cabin - My 2013 XUV-500 had all LED lights. Going back to normal bulbs!! Cost cutting is needed - But to this level?

Conclusion: I think except for the engine, (Which I haven't really experienced, My XUV 500 was way better than this. I am possibly moving out of this and going for the Fortuner even though that is a big stretch financially. A stretch of 10L is better than rueing with a car that you dont like for the next 10 years!
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.01-1.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.01-2.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.01.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.00.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.02-1.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.02-2.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.03-1.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.02.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.03-2.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-whatsapp-image-20230129-11.59.03.jpeg  

mangoadmi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 16:03   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
While I was still viewing the car (my SA had not come in yet) I got a call from an unknown number which turned out to be Nandi Toyota itself informing me that my car would be from the first lot that is coming in and they would allocate it soon!

Got more clarity when my SA came in. He said that the first lot should come in on Jan 30/31 and it would take them 3 days to invoice it and post that I could get delivery! Well I wasn’t mentally (and financially!) prepared for this!
Who was your SA at Nandi and which showroom did you visit? coz Nandi is still waiting to get a test drive car can is expected to come in another 2 weeks. How could they start giving delivery cars without even test drives
Old 29th January 2023, 16:05   #598
BHPian

Booking for Hybrid variants of Hycross and strong Hybrid variants of Hyryder have been closed temporarily.

source

Last edited by NH08 : 29th January 2023 at 16:12.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 20:05   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerin.v View Post
Who was your SA at Nandi and which showroom did you visit? coz Nandi is still waiting to get a test drive car can is expected to come in another 2 weeks. How could they start giving delivery cars without even test drives
Hi Jerin

It is a touch and go as you rightly observed. Even I would want to see how it falls into place. Apparently they would start offering the test drives around Jan 31.
Around Feb 1 they will start invoicing the first batch of vehicles.
So fingers crossed.
My SA is Chetan.
Old 29th January 2023, 21:55   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarutiGuy1977 View Post
Hi Jerin

It is a touch and go as you rightly observed. Even I would want to see how it falls into place. Apparently they would start offering the test drives around Jan 31.
Around Feb 1 they will start invoicing the first batch of vehicles.
So fingers crossed.
My SA is Chetan.
Which branch of Nandi Toyota did you visit?

One advantage of the VX model is the no of chip usage will be fewer dues to the omission of
Ottoman Seats
Panoramic Sunroof
JBL System
Powered Tailgate
8-way driver seat

So VX owners do have a chance of getting cars more easily than ZX

Anyway, Congrats on getting the allotment. I booked ZX on the 25th Nov itself but SA is telling till now no allotment news has come from TKM

One more thing is the cars now reaching the showrooms are proto models and not part of the official production line and Toyota is only manufacturing 10-20 cars a day compared to min of 100 a day in official production. dont know if they started the official production this news is 1 week old

hope they make some changes like the 360 cam in official vehicles.
jerin.v is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks