Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2011, 14:17   #1906
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
the hyundai executive told that many people are selling their BEAT due to various problems like dashboard leak during heavy rain, mileage issue, gear problem etc., Are they true or just a marketing gimmick to sell vehicle?
The Hyundai executive seems to 'know' more about the Beat than the car he sells, he's even listed 3 problems to you - dashboard leak, mileage issue and gear problem. Now that is definitely news, or rather fake news to me. If I were you, I would ask that guy to provide proof to justify his claim. A serious unprofessional attitude by the SA. When I had been to the Chevy showroom first to enquire about the Beat, the SA only spoke about the car and not other brands at all, he did not compare it with any other car nor pestered me to buy the car. Being a Beat owner over a year, let me tell you, I have faced no problem with the car as stated by the Hyundai guy whatsoever. The 2nd gear lag was the main issue with this car initially, mine is running on the original ECU setting and have done more than 10000kms on the odo. Now, the new beats come with upgraded ECU settings and you wont experience any lag. As of this day, I do not expereince any lag, any leaks or any rattles. I am a happy customer and I am sure the others in the club are
Hope this solves your doubts!
Old 30th June 2011, 14:55   #1907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Try the Figo or even etios.
Yes, you're right, Figo has fantastic visibility almost similar to M800, but the designers achieved that in the faith that Figo or Etios will never have to face an Euro-Ncap test.
I have seen lot of owners crib about A-pillar of their new car hampering their view while turning, but they don't realize that it is so designed to protect their lives and that it is not the result of poor design.
Old 30th June 2011, 21:12   #1908
BHPian

I agree with what other Beat owners have had to say on their experience. I have been driving this baby for a year now and no rattling or major issues at all. Yes, the A pillar does obstruct the view but you need to get adjusted to that. The ACC is the biggest boon. The dashboard leak and gear problem are stupid claims by Hyundai SE. Most of the people who buy the Beat, buy it by their Heart and not Head. ( Emotional? )
Old 1st July 2011, 11:38   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
I am planning to buy a car, i have shortlisted the following cars;

Monthly 600 to 1000 Kms ( 60% on highway)
Family of 3 (me, my wife and a 10 month old son)

BEAT Petrol (wife choice)
BEAT Diesel
Spark Petrol
I 10

Hope, i can expect a review soon.
Please go through the links
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...0-1-2-a-8.html for i10 &
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...report-14.html for Beat's comprehensive and unbiased ownership review.
Old 1st July 2011, 12:53   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I agree with what other Beat owners have had to say on their experience. I have been driving this baby for a year now and no rattling or major issues at all. Yes, the A pillar does obstruct the view but you need to get adjusted to that. The ACC is the biggest boon. The dashboard leak and gear problem are stupid claims by Hyundai SE. Most of the people who buy the Beat, buy it by their Heart and not Head. ( Emotional? )
100% same here. 13 Months and 10000KMs. It is same as it came from showroom.

I will rate Beat (Beat LT) as most funky, peppy VFM little hatch. People will crib about poor boot space. Please use rear 60:40 split fold seat for additional luggage. Millage is as good as any other car in the competition. Diesel Beat will add another golden feather to Beat. They should have retain HPS instead of EPS in Beat TCDi. Let us wait and watch.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 1st July 2011, 17:43   #1911

Hi

Its been quite a while since I posted any comment here, but the last couple of pages forced me to add my two cents on the matter. I bought the Beat LT in June 2010 and have never regretted it till date. One thing I love about the car is the drive quality. Its arguably one of the best cars to move around in any kind of traffic. Bombay traffic conditions are not uncommon to anyone who has driven here for more than 6 months.

One thing to remember is that, ultimately, how you feel while driving is the only thing that matters. After driving from South Bombay to the remote suburbs for 3.5 hours in peek stop-n-go traffic, if you don't feel tired or drained, then that is the vehicle you should be driving.

Also, I would add that I didn't even think twice after reading GTO's assessment about the car. I did take a test drive just to get a first hand feel of the vehicle, though.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:45   #1912
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
One thing to remember is that, ultimately, how you feel while driving is the only thing that matters. After driving from South Bombay to the remote suburbs for 3.5 hours in peek stop-n-go traffic, if you don't feel tired or drained, then that is the vehicle you should be driving.
+1 to that. I have driven my Beat LT for around 18 hours almost non-stop along NH-34 (I think everybody knows the traffic at chaotic NH-34) at daytime (except for food/fuel/loo) and I have not faced kind of fatigue.

I can still vouch for my decision and I love my CAR.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:22   #1913
BHPian

OT:
Here are some videos of Beat Electric test vehicle and a test drive with Carl Slym:

Old 2nd July 2011, 10:20   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post

Salbin,

There is a separate thread for Beat Electric:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...c-vehicle.html
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:11   #1915
BHPian

Mine is a Feb 2010 model clocked 8K on odo, and till date I've no issues with my ride. Its still as pristine as when I brought her from the showroom except some scratch marks thanks to the city drives. During this 17 months, my maintenance cost was less than 200/- and that too was consumables like greasing, coolant topping up etc. I find this car as the most VFM hatch back available now.

Let me share the bad & the ugly first

1. There was torque lag in the second gear but once you practice it can be easily overcome. Issue is, if you are driving other cars, this thing will annoy you. I've re-flashed the ECU thrice running on the 3rd version but still some of the times I feel the sluggishness on the first gear. This is the only annoying part for me.

2. Inadequate thigh support for adults on rear seats, long drives will vouch this.

3. Reverse gear is not as crisp as the others. Its not engaging properly if you do it casually.

4. The front bumper is too low for tackling with the dips. My bumper bottom is decently scratched and two of the bottom locks are broken, still it doesn't give any rattling or annoying sound. Out of this, 50% courtesy will goes to my "careful" driving

5. Cramped boot space: Its actually short by a few liters from other hatches, but by the design it looks too short for a hatch. I don't go out any long tours with my car, I would rather settle for a bigger cab so that I can enjoy the moments fully.

6. Restricting views from the A Pillar: It’s a fact that it’s doing its job by design but we cannot forget the in convenience it causes. Would've been some smaller.

The Good

1. The one and only BEST VFM car with ZERO MAINTENANCE COST in this segment, and cost of spare wise also it make some sense whenever I made a comparo.

2. Radical & futuristic design: Its one of the reasons I've opted this car. Take a look from the front, its not all seems to be a midsized hatch.

3. Super silent and refined engine: You won’t even feel it’s running when idling, like some said, in the initial days even I've tried few times to start the engine when the engine was running.

4. Drivability: Its one of the best part I found in this, it’s been always fun filled drive, and you won’t feel any fatigue even if you drive this car in city / b2b traffic for long.

5. Solid steering: being with a HPS, it’s very steady and promising even on high speeds, I've tried only few times though.

6. Powerful headlights: Even though GM uses the standard 55/60W headlight bulbs, the HL assy design is something notable, its giving a superb visibility all the time. I don't have a fog lamp in my car, but I never felt the need for one till date due to the location I belong to. But am planning to go for a pair of Hella Auxiliary driving lamps for high way drives for a better confidence level.

7. Pass function on headlamp: Its got very powerful headlamps plus once you flash the HL for reminding others, its lighting up both the beams, in effect you are armed with 2X55+2X60=whopping 230W at your finger tips. I found its a nice tool to treat a reckless high beam riding moron.

8. Very comfortable seats: The seats are comfortable and support your body very well. They're long, deep, covered in a plush material with thick seat padding and its really hugging you passionately. Even on I10 I never felt this comfort.

9. Fuel Efficiency: Its one of the best among the class as per the other owners. I haven't done any long trips, mostly less than 60 Kms short stretches, mixed drives and on 100% AC due to this, I could manage to a max of 15Kpl. Am sure it will improve once I go out for a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
They should have retain HPS instead of EPS in Beat TCDi. Let us wait and watch.
Vinu, AFAIK, EPS is the latest introduction in PS which has lot of merits over HPS like: its not hogging the power mill, better response at different speeds, less complex & maintenance, less prone to break down etc.

The only merit I have observed is, its not as lighter as EPS which will give you more confidence.

After seeing your comment I am bit confused.

Can you elaborate why HPS is a better option over EPS?
Old 4th July 2011, 11:32   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
5. Solid steering: being with a HPS, it’s very steady and promising even on high speeds, I've tried only few times though.

Can you elaborate why HPS is a better option over EPS?
I think you had partially answered it in the above point 5 (bold) in goodness of Beat petrol.

My comparison of HPS is with EPS of Maruti's and Hyundai's. EPS is light and don't give you "that" confidence in higher speeds. (This may be wrong with high valued cars) Beat's handling is coupled with the beautiful HPS they integrated with it. Beat is not an exceptional handler like say Punto. But it has good tactile feel of road/surface. I really enjoy it. In one of the CnB show SVP said that the new EPS coming in Beat TCDi is fun to drive, has good road feedback and nicely weighted. I need to test drive a Beat TCDi before commenting on that part. (Contacted Metro Chevrolet yesterday. TD Car will be there by third week of July)

I also agree with your findings with Beat petrol. My migration was from UVA-LT (back in Kochi) to Beat LT. I never felt Beat is slow to respond in first and second gear. I use to up-shift early and fast. But there is a significant difference with AC on and off.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 6th July 2011, 16:12   #1917
BHPian

guys, the 15,000 km service is due in my beat.How much will be the cost for the service and what all i need to take care in the service? So far there's no problem cropped up as such..
Old 7th July 2011, 13:26   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
guys, the 15,000 km service is due in my beat.How much will be the cost for the service and what all i need to take care in the service? So far there's no problem cropped up as such..
In 15000km/1.5 years service check labour and parts are chargeable, Please go through the page nos 134-136 of the Owners Manual in which sevice schedule is given.
Approximate cost for the service would be around Rs. 3200
General Service ~ Rs 350.
Engine Oil and Engine Oil Filter ~ Rs 1300
Wheel balancing, rotation and alignment ~ Rs 350
Pollen i.e AC Air Filter (if not changed earlier) ~ Rs 1200. Do check the condition of the filter after cleaning it with compressed air, if it seems ok, no need to change.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 18:28   #1919
BHPian

Thanks topoline, i'll get the car now, the total amount came to 3650 or something... AC filter change comes in the 10,000 service and it was done then.They have done wheel balancing also,
Old 13th July 2011, 07:21   #1920
BHPian

My beat LT June 2010 is due for her 20000km service and by far d experience has been really positive.

Other than a nagging sound from somewhere in suspension I hvnt faced any product quality or build issues. The above sound too will b rectified along with my service.

The only important shortcoming is its weak ac which can't bear d afternoon sun in Mumbai.

Had a small accident where right side doors n running board had to be replaced and Nikhil Auto at vashi have given a fairly good customer service .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks