Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2016, 23:27   #3841
Senior - BHPian

I had a Lancer Ralliart in 2013 when I was abroad. That had a dual clutch system too and it was a woot to drive. If Mitsubishi could do it along with the very complex AWD on the Lancer, why can't VW and that 's what pains me.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:28   #3842
BHPian

In Europe n Russia also dsg gearboxes are known to give trouble after 1 lac kms.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:35   #3843
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, what model is your car. Did VW do the recall service for your gearbox or are you running stock. How many kilometers have you done and if there is an ownership report that you have here on the forum. Thanks once again.
My car is just 3 months old so no recall service is required. It's the new one with the updated head unit, rain sensors etc. It has done just under 3000 km.

I knew what I was getting and I know I will keep the car for 5 years or so. Have already taken extended warranty for four years of coverage so I am not worried about the box failing.

There are already too many Polo TSI reviews and ownership reports so it's pretty pointless to have another one unless something goes really awry in the car.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 25th August 2016 at 23:41.
Old 26th August 2016, 15:57   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I was in a similar position - objectively, the competition is superior but the Polo has a certain something that makes it very desirable. I didn't get that special feeling with any of its rivals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
It does. When I entered there was a dashboard hanging on the wall with steering and two airbags coming out of it and doors / other body parts cut in half to show how they had reinforcements inside marked red for further protection. I read it like this (nothing was written but that's what I took out of it). We might not have the most features in our car, but we value your life more than others who change build quality after coming to India.

It was that timeless design, Perfect fit and finish inside and Incredible build quality that got me. It was like the car was talking to me saying, buy me as your first car and you will feel good about driving me even after years pass by.
It was these kind of comments on this forum that ultimately led me to have my first test drive on Polo, and a kind of passing look on its competition. The result, I owned my first car last November - a red Polo TDI, driven almost 13k km by now.
ManishSoni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 23:21   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManishSoni View Post
It was these kind of comments on this forum that ultimately led me to have my first test drive on Polo, and a kind of passing look on its competition. The result, I owned my first car last November - a red Polo TDI, driven almost 13k km by now.
Congrats on your new pocket.

I always wanted to get my hands on a GT TDI, because of pure ego, instead went ahead and bought home a polo highline TDI 3 months back. Cannot fathom the idea of shelling out 100 more big gandhis for just 14 horses then and hence the highline. But somewhere deep in my heart, it hurts when a GT zoom past my car as I knew that's the one which I wanted. Some time practicality triumphs over passion and you still can't find a convincing reason for being purely practical. However you did the right thing. I should have done the same, next car may be.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2016, 18:52   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Done with the first service of my sisters Polo 1.2 today.
Estimate given at time of dropping off was 9k and and the bill was 9.3k
Car had run just 3300 kms in 12 months and I expected just oil change and topping up fluids.

I was surprised when I saw the final bill and asked them to remove all the unwanted stuff for which I was charged.
There were two particulars for 900 each that was charged. One was AC duct cleaning and external cleaning which was cleaning the condensor. This according to the SA was part of first service schedule which he hasn't informed me when dropping off the car. Asked him to remove those as well and final bill was 6.2k.

I've dealt with Maruti and Ford all these years and VW is a first and I'm glad I don't own one just so I don't have to deal with the servicing part.

Last edited by tharian : 27th August 2016 at 18:55.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 17:54   #3847
BHPian

Hi, has anyone noticed that Ameo (petrol) has fuel efficiency rated at 17.83 Km/l, while polo is at 16.47 Km/l (slightly lighter too)? Both figures are taken from VW website. I personally think 16.47 for polo petrol is understated as I have seen more than 17 few times in my 2014 updated polo (when driven sedately).

Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 23:01   #3848
BHPian

Experience with VW Delhi West. Actually forgot to write this here which I should have.

Entered the dealership, was impressed by the cleanliness and no one was talking out loud. On the wall there's a polo dashboard with two airbags inflated and all the safety features right there so far so good. After 2-3 minutes of me just standing there, an SA comes. He is extremely nervous around me and tells me barely seconds into our chat that he is new here. Completely fine one has to start somewhere I thought and went to the main reception to ask for someone more experienced.

After our talk and thankfully the comfortline (variant I was looking for) being on show, I was able to check it out under not so well lit conditions. I ask him if he can get me a test drive of the car and he asks for my license. Usual affair till now but then he tells me they might not allow test drives on a learner's permit. Tells me he needs to ask his superiors, gets my signatures and goes away for awhile.

I was literally jaw dropped when I heard him saying NO after coming back with the papers. I told him he is turning away a potential customer because every other dealership has so far been more than happy to provide me with one and he still said no. Then he tells me he can still "give me a drive" in the car but he will be the one driving. I was already annoyed at this point and while there was a faint smile on my face on the outside, it was the polar opposite inside.

We come outside in the rain where no one even cared to arrange an umbrella either but I got one at the guards room which is fine what else did I expect while buying a cheap hatchback. Just like magic the polo isn't even there and I came out / got myself wet in the pouring rain for no reason. He tells me I can look at the ameo for the drive as both have the same 1.2 MPi engine and I say ok. So I go and I ask him if I can atleast take it to the gate inside premises and he hands me the key saying he is letting me drive it on his own risk. He made sure to remind me of that couple of times in mere metres of the drive I had, well you sure are doing everyone a big favor to let a customer sit in a car he wants to buy

I stop the car at the gate and he just goes from the U turn of moti nagar to kirti nagar metro station U turn under the bridge for the drive. Extremely small less than a KM drive. After coming back I try to get my thoughts together and try to not get even more annoyed inside than I was already and start looking at the beetle as grandpa had one. Spent some time looking at it after sending the guy away who was with me during this time. He still asks me when will I be needing the car. I try to ignore this question and ask him what colors are available where he tells me all colors are in stock and readily available.

It's honestly sad such a lovable product has to go through these types of dealerships. Look at me feeling bad for an inanimate object.
Old 8th September 2016, 15:45   #3849
BHPian

Quote:
but then he tells me they might not allow test drives on a learner's permit.
Quote:
It's honestly sad such a lovable product has to go through these types of dealerships. Look at me feeling bad for an inanimate object.
Not sure whether this qualifies as a review for the dealer, but I think the dealer is quite right in refusing a test drive for a learner-permit holder. The cars learners drive are supposed to have certain things including the L at the front, back and few more RTO rules I am unable to recollect now.

Quote:
So I go and I ask him if I can atleast take it to the gate inside premises and he hands me the key saying he is letting me drive it on his own risk.
Quote:
He tells me I can look at the ameo for the drive as both have the same 1.2 MPi engine and I say ok.
Personally I think these two are mistakes from the adviser. He shouldn't have asked a person to test-drive an Ameo instead of a polo. And clearly he did a mistake by offering a drive that thankfully didn't turn out bad.
Old 8th September 2016, 20:15   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeivan View Post
Not sure whether this qualifies as a review for the dealer, but I think the dealer is quite right in refusing a test drive for a learner-permit holder. The cars learners drive are supposed to have certain things including the L at the front, back and few more RTO rules I am unable to recollect now.
I suppose the chap who has went there and paid a small chunk of change to obtain the license without any practise whatsoever is much more capable than someone who has had the LL for 5 months and practised daily. Only reason I haven't gotten a Permanent is because I want it with my own first car.

They want L stickers on the TD vehicle while I drive and remove it afterwards? Sure, I'll do it for them. There's a red tape always in my bag because I have to use it on multiple occasions during normal drives but did anyone ask for it? Nope.

You're basically saying in a nutshell all LL drivers should look at the stats or reviews and buy the car as their first (potentially the most important) car if they want a new car which is just downright weird to be honest.

Most new cars I've seen currently around my area have been with an L sign. Do you think they bought it without even getting a TD? Ofcourse not. If one isn't offering a TD on the polo and they only buy the cars after driving them like most people I know would, will the polo start selling like hotcakes? You know the answer

Thad E Ginathom - "Right or wrong, while customers actually stand up for, and support the right of, dealers and manufacturers to treat them badly, nothing will change.

Happy buying."

Might I add I still absolutely love the car.
Old 8th September 2016, 22:45   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Try a different dealer.

I've also been refused a TD while waiting for my LL by multiple dealers (although this was several years ago) and it isn't that unusual. Some don't mind, some do, so don't read too much into it
Old 8th September 2016, 23:41   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
I was literally jaw dropped when I heard him saying NO after coming back with the papers. I told him he is turning away a potential customer because every other dealership has so far been more than happy to provide me with one and he still said no.

We come outside in the rain where no one even cared to arrange an umbrella either but I got one at the guards room which is fine what else did I expect while buying a cheap hatchback.

I think you have been rather over expectant about dealerships. Also, a LL doesn't seem to be a valid document for anyone except for the RTO guys who take it as a step towards getting your final full licence.

You obviously had a bad rainy day that day and I would understand if you were at a 5-star restaurant but I wouldn't personally expect car dealership to have staff to hold out umberells for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeivan View Post

And clearly he did a mistake by offering a drive that thankfully didn't turn out bad.

Yeah. But leave alone the stickers, are we sure the dealer would be able to explain to the insurance guys in case there is a need for claim where an LL holder banged up the car? I'm not sure. The dealerships surely must have had some similar reason/s.

Quote:
Only reason I haven't gotten a Permanent is because I want it with my own first car.

They want L stickers on the TD vehicle while I drive and remove it afterwards? Sure, I'll do it for them. There's a red tape always in my bag because I have to use it on multiple occasions during normal drives but did anyone ask for it? Nope.

You're basically saying in a nutshell all LL drivers should look at the stats or reviews and buy the car as their first (potentially the most important) car if they want a new car which is just downright weird to be honest.

Most new cars I've seen currently around my area have been with an L sign. Do you think they bought it without even getting a TD? Ofcourse not. If one isn't offering a TD on the polo and they only buy the cars after driving them like most people I know would, will the polo start selling like hotcakes? You know the answer
Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know one could get a car registered in ones name with an LL. This post of yours gives me the idea that this is possible. I guess I got to relocate to a planet with only spaceships for transport
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 02:31   #3853
Distinguished - BHPian

but...

Insurance, yes. In my mother country, you can't, for instance, hire a car [when I last looked] until you have held a full licence for two years and you have to be over 25. A dealer would laugh at the idea of test drives for learners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Pardon my ignorance but I didn't know one could get a car registered in ones name with an LL.
You do not need any driving licence to own/register a car, only to drive it.

Way back then, when we, often wrongly, expected simply being not-Indian to makethings harder, my first car was registered in my wife's name. She is very much a non-driver.

That's my personal experience --- but there must be lots of chauffeur-driven non-drivers owning cars.

Swarit19, take that test, and get your full licence. Sooner the better. There is no good reason to wait.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 07:52   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
I think you have been rather over expectant about dealerships.
Actually I've come to expect such things when you're shelling so much. For eg - an average government working folk, he saves up over time saving everywhere for years just for this moment so yes I would expect so much. In comparison an average five star restaurant costs nothing compared to this strictly cost wise wouldn't you agree? But overall you are absolutely right this was my bad for expecting this much from a dealer but probably it had something to do with me driving the Elite i20 and experiencing hyundai's service before this.

For the umbrella statement I forgot to mention it properly. What I meant is in literally pouring monsoon where we expect daily rains here they hadn't arranged umbrellas for the visitors in general. I would expect some at the door which you could pick up and give to the guard room outside when you were leaving just like in hyundai. By that I didn't mean I want someone holding my umbrella as I would hold another one for him too I don't mind. I do tend to compare each especially because Polo doesn't have high numbers and I would expect them to put that extra effort to better the experience.

Quote:
But leave alone the stickers, are we sure the dealer would be able to explain to the insurance guys in case there is a need for claim where an LL holder banged up the car? I'm not sure. The dealerships surely must have had some similar reason/s
How is every other dealership managing to do so then? That would be the question that pops in my mind right away. There must be a clear option for them as otherwise they would refuse as well. There are loopholes out there for a lot of things if not all so there must be one here that the companies have found I suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
but...

Insurance, yes. In my mother country, you can't, for instance, hire a car [when I last looked] until you have held a full licence for two years and you have to be over 25. A dealer would laugh at the idea of test drives for learners.

Swarit19, take that test, and get your full licence. Sooner the better. There is no good reason to wait.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you need to be 21 here as well to hire a car? I would expect nothing else considering a LL needs one with a permanent license accompanying him at all times with two L signs on front and back windshield in which case why isn't the permanent license holder getting the car on hire on his behalf instead. If a dealer would laugh at the idea of test drives then it's good with me. Because it would be the norm not the exception.

You see my only gripe was they were alone in saying this and I went to A LOT of other dealerships from A LOT of other companies and gave zero reasons when I asked why / just avoided answering it. Atleast be truthful tell me you have this and this reason and I will walk out happy / probably recommend the dealership to a lot of people but don't let someone hanging imo. Again if it was usually the case I wouldn't even bring it up.

Now onto the permanent license, It's the same thing as saving yourself for your spouse but still dating before marriage I suppose. Which some people don't believe in including me but I'm doing the same thing with cars aren't I? You're probably right I should just get it over with and get the license. (*inserts humor in a rather gloomy conversation*)

In the back of my head I want polo to sell very well and outsell other things out there. When someone gets a compartment in an exam he works extra hard to make sure it doesn't happen the second time and puts in more effort than needed. I didn't see that here which was surprising to me and a thought that someone in my position would logically buy something else was rather sad. If one doesn't have the best engine, that doesn't matter as it's the package and overall experience what matters in the end and currently maruti / hyundai beats them at it if we don't even take the product in the equation here.

Overall I'm very critical about everything that goes around me and expect the very best efforts being put in by everyone as others expect me to put my best efforts in as well but I probably need to turn that a couple of notches down when expressing it here. Apologies if someone didn't like it as that wasn't my intention.
Old 9th September 2016, 13:32   #3855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is every other dealership managing to do so then? That would be the question that pops in my mind right away. There must be a clear option for them as otherwise they would refuse as well. There are loopholes out there for a lot of things if not all so there must be one here that the companies have found I suppose?
Ahh... I hadn't realised (or failed to read) that this was an exception, and you have been able to get test drives from other dealers. I could argue that, in my humble opinion, they should not be given for those without full licences, but that would then be a different conversation. Your personal experience is that you were able to take test drives from some dealers but not from this one. I can see why you would be complaining.

I don't know about self-drive car hire rules in India: so far, I have not done it --- and I am waaay beyond having to worry about age restrictions (unless the are upper-age!) anyway.

As to the general quality of service from dealers, including everything fromproduct knowledge to common courtesy, the forum has plenty of bad stories. Regardless of age or apparent wealth and willingness to buy, some dealers' staff seem to be absolutely disinterested in whether or not they actually sell anything. They might as well just put up a sign saying, "don't bother us: go away!"

So far, I have bought new twice, Maruti and VW, and the buying experience was reasonable to good on both occasions. But it is not always so, and I would agree with you: it should be, especially considering the large amounts of money involved.

Quote:
Now onto the permanent license, It's the same thing as saving yourself for your spouse but still dating before marriage I suppose. Which some people don't believe in including me

But having a driving licence is not the same as owning a car. Having a driving licence means you can drive any car, whether it is your dad's car, your brother's car, your friend's car, any car that you have permission to drive. Perhaps it is not so dramatic in this country, where the test is more of a formality, but I'd still say that getting your licence is a really really good feeling. It is also one of simplest easiest proofs of identity and address for a lot of other stuff. Disassociate the idea with car ownership: go for it ASAP.

Quote:
In the back of my head I want polo to sell very well and outsell other things out there. ... ... ... it's the package and overall experience what matters in the end and currently maruti / hyundai beats them at it if we don't even take the product in the equation here.
Yep. VAG has a lot to learn.

Quote:
Overall I'm very critical about everything that goes around me and expect the very best efforts being put in by everyone as others expect me to put my best efforts in as well but I probably need to turn that a couple of notches down when expressing it here. Apologies if someone didn't like it as that wasn't my intention.
Don't let anyone put you off. I hope you find a career in an industry or profession where you can use your beliefs and make a difference for customers. This country needs people like you. No need to tell you, though: it'll be a tough job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks