Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 19:02   #3916
BANNED

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
Not sure about Bangalore, but I booked my GT from VW, Gurgaon on 21-Nov. They initially said it will be at least 3 weeks. Got a call today to confirm that the car has been allotted to me and already in transit with delivery date for 29-Nov
My personal experience with this particular dealer has always been good. Be it sales or service, they seem to be honest and quick at everything, at least till date.

Any discounts or freebies offered or as always for GT, "Sorry saar, we offer no discounts"?
Old 24th November 2016, 19:58   #3917
BHPian

I agree. The experience so far has been pleasant. And yeah, as always for GTs, no discounts whatsoever. Just getting the standard set of accessories as freebies i.e. mud flaps, etc.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:20   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
New Blue shade for Polo. Here are some pictures.
Thanks for sharing This is really a lovely shade and anything in the variants of navy blue/dark blue has always been my most favourite colour. We are buying a hatchback in Jan 2017 ( which is going to be our first car in the family ) and was 90% inclined towards VW Polo 1.2MPI Highline and 10% to Hyundai i20 Elite Asta 1.2. Now, looking at this particular shade, I think I will zero in on the Polo
Old 30th November 2016, 00:43   #3919
BHPian

I discovered yesterday that on engaging the reverse gear in my Polo the front fog lights come on if the headlight is on and upon disengaging the reverse gear, it goes off.
I would have preferred it to come on with the parking light alone instead of headlights because I am in a habit of switching off the headlight while reversing. Is there a VCDS tweak for this? I tried searching for it but couldn't find anything.
Old 30th November 2016, 09:17   #3920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I discovered yesterday that on engaging the reverse gear in my Polo the front fog lights come on if the headlight is on and upon disengaging the reverse gear, it goes off.
I'm not able to understand the logic behind this! Is it to indicate to the people/cars in front that the vehicle may also be reversing? I don't know if this is really useful, but a nice find though.
Quote:
I am in a habit of switching off the headlight while reversing.
May I know why and how you developed this habit?
Old 30th November 2016, 15:49   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'm not able to understand the logic behind this! Is it to indicate to the people/cars in front that the vehicle may also be reversing? I don't know if this is really useful, but a nice find though.
May I know why and how you developed this habit?
Logic I cannot comment upon. But probably because the fogs function like filler lamps and give an idea of the ground immediately near the car.

And I personally switch off the headlights leaving only the parking lights on. Reason being that I have my head turned back and for me the headlights do not serve any purpose while reversing. The fogs are more than enough for a casual glance in front while reversing. This apart, the oncoming traffic also get an indication that the car is not moving in the forward direction. Presumption would be otherwise with the headlights on.
Old 30th November 2016, 16:40   #3922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing. I wonder if mine does, or when they introduced this feature.
Quote:
I'm not able to understand the logic behind this!
My idea: fog lights provide a wide spread of light close to car. When steering in reverse, the front end of the car moves quite sharply.

Never thought of it before reading this here today, but it does seem like a good idea. As, of course, does providing reversing lights on both sides of the car. In fact that is probably a better idea! But skimped on in India.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 17:02   #3923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Amazing. I wonder if mine does, or when they introduced this feature.
My idea: fog lights provide a wide spread of light close to car. When steering in reverse, the front end of the car moves quite sharply.

Never thought of it before reading this here today, but it does seem like a good idea.
Agreed Fog lamps provide a wider spread of light close to the car, but it lights up objects in front of the car. What use will lighting up objects in front serve, after it is past the vehicle? I will also try to find out more.

Quote:
As, of course, does providing reversing lights on both sides of the car. In fact that is probably a better idea! But skimped on in India.
Reversing lights were on both sides in Indian cars (Marutis, Premier Padminis, Ambassadors etc.). In fact only later European cars had one rear fog and one reverse lamp; even in Europe. They didn't skimp it because it was for India, it was just carried over from Europe. Look at the Polo for example-Even European Polos have only one rear fog and one reverse, albeit on the opposite side as that of the Indian Polo. The first car I noticed with only one rear fog and reverse was the Logan. After that, the Polo, Punto and many others caught my attention.
Old 30th November 2016, 17:13   #3924
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Logic I cannot comment upon. But probably because the fogs function like filler lamps and give an idea of the ground immediately near the car.
Quote:
Agreed Fog lamps provide a wider spread of light close to the car, but it lights up objects in front of the car. What use will lighting up objects in front serve, after it is past the vehicle? I will also try to find out more.
I literally just observed this same thing yesterday, tested it multiple times with someone else at the wheel. Also tried this:
  1. Switch on Headlights, Fogs in Off position
  2. Engage Reverse (Front Fogs light up, not the cornering lamps, I checked)
  3. Switch Front Fogs to On position. There is a minute change in intensity of the fogs. (I double checked)

Either ways, it's a mystery to me. Maybe someone with a good experience in driving, especially Europe, can clarify.

P.S. Will try in the other European Skoda as well.
Old 30th November 2016, 17:46   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
[*]Engage Reverse (Front Fogs light up, not the cornering lamps, I checked)[*]Switch Front Fogs to On position. There is a minute change in intensity of the fogs. (I double checked)
I don't get that. In Polo, the cornering lamps are in fact the fog lamps. When the indicator stalk is in operation the fog lamp of that side comes on. Is it any different in your car? The actual area of cornering light is left blank in the Indian Polo.

I haven't been able to check the intensity of the fog lamps in this operation. Will revert on it.
Old 1st December 2016, 09:21   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
I don't get that. In Polo, the cornering lamps are in fact the fog lamps. When the indicator stalk is in operation the fog lamp of that side comes on. Is it any different in your car? The actual area of cornering light is left blank in the Indian Polo.

I haven't been able to check the intensity of the fog lamps in this operation. Will revert on it.
Hi torque18,

Yes, I stand corrected. They are in fact the same, another example of cost cutting by VW India. On another note, I have seen the fog lamps turning on even when I have not operated the indicator stalk, like in my parking.

Cheers,
Sid.
Old 1st December 2016, 09:23   #3927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reversing lights were on both sides in Indian cars (Marutis, Premier Padminis, Ambassadors etc.). In fact only later European cars had one rear fog and one reverse lamp; even in Europe. They didn't skimp it because it was for India, it was just carried over from Europe.
OK, thanks. I guess I got that completely wrong. <Blush>
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 14:32   #3928
BHPian

Crest Collection from VW India

Volkswagen are bringing in the Crest collection on Polo, Ameo and Vento in India.

Source Link - http://www.volkswagenlabs.co.in/volk...ion/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20161201_0001.png  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20161201_0002.png  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20161201_0003.png  

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-wp_ss_20161201_0004.png  

vijayvelprakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 16:37   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
On another note, I have seen the fog lamps turning on even when I have not operated the indicator stalk, like in my parking.
It doesn't work in my case without flicking the indicator stalk. Are you sure about this?
I have tried it on a stationary car and it didn't come on upon turning the wheel.
Old 3rd December 2016, 15:51   #3930
BHPian

Do these kind of marketing gimmicks work (I mean stuff like the "crest collection")? There is nothing mechanically different. Nor is there any change to the look and feel. So, why would someone pony up some extra cash for these gimmicks?
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks