Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:34   #1711
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
The owner had changed the tyres to Michelin Energy a year back and there has been no other modifications.
Congrats on the car ece2k2 . Wishing you a long innings with the T-Jet!

On the quoted part, I was curious to know the owner opted for Michelin Energy, because Michelin Energy XM2+ does not come in 16" size tyres . Maybe you mean Michelin Primacy LC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
But after a few weeks, I've observed that post a cold start, the RPM needle is hovering ("rev hanging"?) at 1.2k RPM for a few min before it settles down to 850-ish (the normal?) RPM. I don't know if the replacement air filter is to blame. Will be getting this diagnosed when I go for my second service by this month end.
This is absolutely normal. It has been there since Day 1 for me, and as khoj mentioned, it is something like an auto-choke, to enable the engine to warm up quickly for the first 2 minutes after which it settles down at the normal level of ~800 rpm.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:45   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Congrats on the car ece2k2 . Wishing you a long innings with the T-Jet!

On the quoted part, I was curious to know the owner opted for Michelin Energy, because Michelin Energy XM2+ does not come in 16" size tyres . Maybe you mean Michelin Primacy LC??
Thanks Karthik. The tires are Michelin Energy MXV8. The spare is still a Goodyear though (unused stock tire).
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:08   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Karthik. The tires are Michelin Energy MXV8. The spare is still a Goodyear though (unused stock tire).
If they are Energy MXV8, I suggest you check the period of manufacture of the tyres. I dont think new MXV8s have been available since last 3-4 years. The MXV8s were replaced by the Energy XM1 and XM1+, which itself is now in the period of being replaced by the Energy XM2.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:53   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
If they are Energy MXV8, I suggest you check the period of manufacture of the tyres. I dont think new MXV8s have been available since last 3-4 years. The MXV8s were replaced by the Energy XM1 and XM1+, which itself is now in the period of being replaced by the Energy XM2.
I just checked the tires and it reads 1311 which I believe is a 2011 manufactured product. Since the Linea is a 2011 model, I hope the tires are not too old.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:15   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked the tires and it reads 1311 which I believe is a 2011 manufactured product. Since the Linea is a 2011 model, I hope the tires are not too old.
1311, means 1st week of April 2011 manufacturing period. So it doesn't seem too old. But still I am surprised, that MXV8s were still available at that time. Could you say where they were manufactured?? Just curious.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:50   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
What are the mileages the Tjet owners are getting in city traffic ( best /worst) & highway driving ( best /worst) ?
I know driving styles matter a lot..but still general guidance would be helpful..
I did another similar "economy" run to office this morning , and till about 500 meters short of my office gate i was at 12.1 KMPL , unfortunately then i got stuck in a jam for about 10 minutes and the final number came down to 10.9 kmpl.

Quote:

But after a few weeks, I've observed that post a cold start, the RPM needle is hovering ("rev hanging"?) at 1.2k RPM for a few min before it settles down to 850-ish (the normal?) RPM. I don't know if the replacement air filter is to blame. Will be getting this diagnosed when I go for my second service by this month end.
Perfectly normal , it happens every morning and every evening with me , goes on for about 45 seconds to a minute and i drive only once this settles down. Expect that this will become a bit longer during winters. Between 1200-1300 RPM is where the needle starts.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:05   #1717
BHPian

Here's my observation for this week's fuel consumption. This is with 100% AC usage in a mix of moderate to heavy traffic (within NCR). Most of the drives were short (~10-15 KMs).

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-fe.jpg

The worst FE that I have observed in city is ~8.5 KMPL and best is ~12.5 KMPL. On the highway, I usually get 11-12 KMPL due to heavy right foot. With a lighter foot, I have noticed avg FE (over 90 KMs) of ~16.8 KMPL

The worstever FE I have observed is ~5.9 KMPL when I attended the track-day at BIC.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:10   #1718
BHPian

So guys, is something wrong with my car that I'm getting between 6 and 7 in Bangalore city traffic with a/c on all the time? Brakes catching, perhaps? Should it be looked at? The last time I was at Vecto to have mudguards installed, a mechanic went on a test drive with me for squealing brakes and said the squealing was normal if the disk and pads heated up. I mentioned the poor FE to him, and he didn't comment.
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:21   #1719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
So guys, is something wrong with my car that I'm getting between 6 and 7 in Bangalore city traffic with a/c on all the time? Brakes catching, perhaps? Should it be looked at? I mentioned the poor FE to him, and he didn't comment.
A lot depends on your driving habits and commute as well sir.

Do check out this thread out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...fficiency.html
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:43   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
So guys, is something wrong with my car that I'm getting between 6 and 7 in Bangalore city traffic with a/c on all the time? Brakes catching, perhaps? Should it be looked at?
I was similarly confused too until I saw all sorts of mileage figures with different TJet owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
What are the mileages the Tjet owners are getting in city traffic ( best /worst) & highway driving ( best /worst) ?
I know driving styles matter a lot..but still general guidance would be helpful..
Here's my fuel/mileage record to give you an idea:

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjetfuel.jpg

B'lore city traffic mostly with a/c all the time. Best mileage figures are highway runs. Was initially feeding shell super, now I feed only regular shell (and sometimes BS3 fuel from Kanakapura road or B'ghatta road shell stations)

(app name is 'road trip lite')

Last edited by nareshov : 22nd August 2013 at 23:46. Reason: add 'road'
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 07:34   #1721
BHPian

Hey guys i took delivery of my tjet on independence day and it has been a very nice experience so far. I have travelled over a 1000 kms so far. My average fuel efficiency is shown to be around 12.7 kmpl. I had done a long trip from Ernakulam to Bangalore where the fuel efficiency for that trip was 16 kmpl. I havent pushed the car around too much. Sedate driving on the cards for now for another 1000 -1500 kms .( Trying hard not to have a heavy right foot)
_raviShankar_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:22   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Had to post this one

Made an early morning dash to the Delhi Airport at 630 AM to drop the wife off. Light traffic but enough lights , round trip of about 55 km's - got home and checked the FE out of curiosity and it was a 16.1 KMPL.

This despite it not being an economy run - after a while left for office and by the time i parked in office it was showing 14.9 KMPL - so it had dropped but not by much

Nothing very unique about the drive expect for not using the AC one way , but it was on , on the way back.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:59   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
A lot depends on your driving habits and commute as well sir.

Do check out this thread out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...fficiency.html
Agreed, lamborghini. I don't drive crazy, but the instantaneous consumption display in the MID says the T-jet strongly dislikes any acceleration, no matter how light the foot (from a fuel consumption point of view). Now in city traffic, sometimes one has to accelerate a bit to get away from congested situations, or to overtake a slow moving vehicle. This is for a few seconds only, not sustained acceleration. I've been driving for about four decades, so this is not my first car and I'm not an absolute novice. My Baleno (previous car) had a 1.6L petrol and gave much better mileage under much more spirited driving on a sustained basis. But that was in Chennai in much better traffic conditions.

Quote:
I was similarly confused too until I saw all sorts of mileage figures with different TJet owners.

Here's my fuel/mileage record to give you an idea:

B'lore city traffic mostly with a/c all the time. Best mileage figures are highway runs. Was initially feeding shell super, now I feed only regular shell (and sometimes BS3 fuel from Kanakapura road or B'ghatta road shell stations)

(app name is 'road trip lite')
I have so far fuelled only regular petrol, always at the Bannerghatta Road Shell near Gottigere, my a/c is alwyas on, and all the driving has been in Bangalore traffic. Thanks Naresh, your fuel consumption pattern is closer to mine. Puchoo is getting significantly higher mileage; maybe because his runs are longer and in traffic much better than Bangalore.

From my experience, multiple short trips really kills FE, and unfortunately this has been my pattern in the T-Jet so far.

Perhaps I need to wait for some more km on the ODO?
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:19   #1724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So guys, is something wrong with my car that I'm getting between 6 and 7 in Bangalore city traffic with a/c on all the time? Brakes catching, perhaps? Should it be looked at? The last time I was at Vecto to have mudguards installed, a mechanic went on a test drive with me for squealing brakes and said the squealing was normal if the disk and pads heated up. I mentioned the poor FE to him, and he didn't comment.
Quote:
I don't drive crazy, but the instantaneous consumption display in the MID says the T-jet strongly dislikes any acceleration, no matter how light the foot (from a fuel consumption point of view). Now in city traffic, sometimes one has to accelerate a bit to get away from congested situations, or to overtake a slow moving vehicle. This is for a few seconds only, not sustained acceleration.
I've seen the fuel efficiency drop to 7.5 - 8 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic sometimes, especially with the AC on. It isn't abnormal, considering this is quite a heavy car at upwards of 1.2 tons, and Bangalore rush-hour traffic doesn't make the drive smooth either .

Quote:
I have so far fuelled only regular petrol, always at the Bannerghatta Road Shell near Gottigere, my a/c is alwyas on, and all the driving has been in Bangalore traffic. Thanks Naresh, your fuel consumption pattern is closer to mine. Puchoo is getting significantly higher mileage; maybe because his runs are longer and in traffic much better than Bangalore.

From my experience, multiple short trips really kills FE, and unfortunately this has been my pattern in the T-Jet so far.

Perhaps I need to wait for some more km on the ODO?
I have been filling at the very same bunk since the past 2 years, can vouch for the quality there. Just for curiosity, maybe you could try PSU fuel once or twice and see if you notice any difference. The difference will be very marginal though.

Bumper to bumper traffic kills FE and beats it down to single digit figures, as is the case with most other petrol sedans. On hot days when the AC needs to work harder, it will further dip. I don't think you need to get anything checked at the moment. Your car is still brand new by the way. FE and engine response will gradually improve as you clock more miles on the odometer. Post first service you should see better figures once the engine beds in and oil is changed.

I would suggest you start taking alternate routes to office where there is less of B2B traffic. Alternatively, if your workplace permits you to have flexible timings, you could try leaving early both to and from office. Not only will your FE improve with the reduced traffic, but you can also enjoy putting your foot down on the T-Jet a lot more often .

Slightly OT, but I travel from Jayanagar to ITPL for almost 65-70 km everyday with the Punto, that's a MultiJet 90HP though. I finally ditched ORR and its mad traffic when I travel during rush hour (found alternate routes), or else I leave very early both ways when taking ORR. The Fuel efficiency improved from 12.5-13 kmpl to 14.5-15 kmpl on an average, thanks to more constant speeds and lesser clutching-declutching. Occasionally, say once in 10-12 days, the T-Jet does office duty during non-peak hours and I end up getting 11-11.5 kmpl with the AC on. When I get stuck in traffic, I also get 7-8 kmpl with AC, so you're not alone *winks*

P.S - Out of curiosity, I had once done a T-Jet fuel-efficiency run on NH4 from Bangalore to Chitradurga and back. This 'gas guzzler' had returned an astounding 19.1 kmpl at a constant speed! It can be really frugal if driven with a light foot, thanks to the effortless drive in the turbo range.

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd August 2013 at 11:29.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:55   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
P.S - Out of curiosity, I had once done a T-Jet fuel-efficiency run on NH4 from Bangalore to Chitradurga and back. This 'gas guzzler' had returned an astounding 19.1 kmpl at a constant speed! It can be really frugal if driven with a light foot, thanks to the effortless drive in the turbo range.
Like the Fabia who is quite a guzzler otherwise but capable of going upto 18-18.5 if driven in that manner , the one thing i have noticed is that the T-Jet has a tendency to sip much more during idle/traffic lights than the Fabia did.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks