Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 18:32   #1576
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Nothing like hearing from actual experience! That's why I love this place and it's the #1 website I haunt...
Old 12th July 2013, 20:04   #1577
BHPian

@ Teacher
Reagding the Primcy LC I am using them for last 33k Kms and performance is nothing short of extraordinary. And we have broken roads infact no roads imagine 185 mm gc is not sufficient,amazing when it comes to high speed stability low noice low wear its perfect Tyre but the wet grip is average may be threads are very close to each other. But don't bother about the soft sidewalls and all those things .
parimal_g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 20:35   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Nearly the same boat as yourself buddy. Same car, fewer kms, stock tires, but will probably change them.

Need sticky rubber, but not too soft (some of the roads that I have to travel in sometimes are pretty rough), so how are the P7s? Anything else should be on my list? Shortlisted Bridgestone MY01 (discontinued ones, but dealer has it still).
Hey -- I don't have any first hand experience with the P7s; I'm considering them purely based on anecdotal evidence across certain forums that rank it between the NCT5s and PLCs in terms of softness. (And they come with some of the Abarth 500 sport variants )
Old 12th July 2013, 22:50   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Reading your recent queries is like Dejavu

I am the one who mentioned the paint sealant and it is meant for new cars. Now that Parimal has decided to grace this thread I will let him explain the process. He was amongst the first to get it done and again it was he who took me to the 3M centre.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjet-rear-left.jpeg

That's my Jet and Parimal's Punto Sports (further ahead) at the 3M centre on Palm Beach road, New Bombay during the session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Any 3M services recommended for a new car? Somebody I know mentioned paint sealant, not sure if it's required on contemporary cars. Any advice will be gratefully lapped up. Thanks.

Yes LCs are the way to go for a silent drive. Read parimal_g's post he like me has been enjoying a carefree ride on the LCs.

As for driving on tiled roads, yes I have driven on them extensively in MH and they are the worst things that could have happened to the roads. I do not think any tire has a chance on them once the dreaded green (kai) envelopes them and also when they loose the original level. It is best to slow down to reasonable speeds and take it easy just in case one comes across an unforeseen scenario whilst on these.

Comfort on tiled roads would be more a function of the car's suspension rather than the rubber. Here the Linea should do well as it does takes the outer roads with patchy to broken surfaces better than most other cars. The thing to remember is that my Jet has the original suspension set up from the 2010-2011 production run and my experience is based on the same.

I know the stretch that you are mentioning in DEL. Thankfully someone woke up to the dangers of these little jokers(or did not get enough cut) and they have been relegated back to pedestrian areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
I conclude from the above that the Yokohamas are the best overall considering tyre noise, grip and maintenance but Micheling PLC are the way to go if I want the most silent Tyres of the lot!!

Just one more thing - have you had any experience of driving over "Tiled Roads". It is not so prevalent in Delhi - but tiled roads are mushrooming all over Bombay!! If I remember correctly there is short patch of tiled roads in Delhi, on Bhairon Marg (connecting GT road to Mathura Road, near Purana Quila) - any time you have driven this stretch.

Sorry to be so specific, but just mentioned the above as it will help me reference your experience with mine!!

Thanks

Michelins do have walls that flex a bit more than others but they are not overtly soft. Any tire is built to take on the load that it is specified for and so are Michelins.

Do read Parimal's post on this page. He has been using his LCs on the worst possible road surfaces and then on some with no roads at all. He too enjoys a carefree ride.

The key being carefree and not careless.

Honestly, I have seen people drive as if they are blind. They will scrape their tires on pavements, on sharp side walls of manhole covers, will run over stones, other inert objects out on the highways, over inflate for milage, under inflate for looks and comfort and what not and then complain that side walls have bulged and this and that. Yes there are genuine cases too where the tires are indeed bad but majority of the cases it is the driver who is simply careless. I am not pointing fingers any where, I am related to a few of these gems and my social circle is overrun by their lot.

Look after your ride and it will look after you, tires included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
My understanding is that the PLCs are also soft-walled and self-destruct pretty easily when one hits a pothole at some speed. Considering that I plan to do some highway runs and cannot see / anticipate all road hazards, I'm wondering if it makes sense to swap out the OEM Goodyears. Soft tyres are great for noise and grip, but we don't have highways and roads like US freeways or German autobahns.

On the LCs I concur julupani but "the burble of 1.4 NA" did you not mean the 1.4 turbocharged. Unless your ride is not the Jet but it's sibling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The "softness" of the Michelin tyres, especially the PLCs in my view are severely exaggerated.

And they are supremely quiet. I get to hear the throaty burble of the 1.4NA engine all the more clearly now.

So finally you decided to make an appearance

Do explain the paint sealant process before you disappear again and maybe you could post a few snaps of the loop Nomad mats that you got from 3M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
@ Teacher
Reagding the Primcy LC I am using them for last 33k Kms and performance is nothing short of extraordinary. And we have broken roads infact no roads imagine 185 mm gc is not sufficient,amazing when it comes to high speed stability low noice low wear its perfect Tyre but the wet grip is average may be threads are very close to each other. But don't bother about the soft sidewalls and all those things .

Last edited by khoj : 12th July 2013 at 23:06.
khoj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 10:36   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
@ Teacher
Isn't Primacy LC a more comfort-oriented tire than an outright performance one?

I am looking for some sticky rubber for my ride. I don't mind tire noise; I don't think it is a big factor. What is more important for me is grip. And tires which don't have so soft walls. The impression I keep getting is that Primacy LC is good no doubt, but to be daintily used.
Old 13th July 2013, 10:59   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't Primacy LC a more comfort-oriented tire than an outright performance one?

I am looking for some sticky rubber for my ride. I don't mind tire noise; I don't think it is a big factor. What is more important for me is grip. And tires which don't have so soft walls. The impression I keep getting is that Primacy LC is good no doubt, but to be daintily used.
Crazy idea:

Try out some 225/50R16 size tyres. You can get something like the Michelin Pilot Sport3s or may be some Yokohama Advans. Do make sure there is enough clearance in the wheel wells though.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 11:45   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't Primacy LC a more comfort-oriented tire than an outright performance one?.
Yes it is but i have heard good reviews about it from every one, just that you need to take it a bit easy compared to those tyres with hard sidewalls, if you can take care of it then this is a very good option.

If you dont mind the noise, have a look at Bridgestone MY02, have them on my Linea from past 7000kms and they offer stupendous grip in both dry and wet, no puncture till now and are made to take abuse, no sidewall cuts/bulges etc but the ride wont be as plush as Michelins and noise a bit higher than Plc, have the MY01 on my Vento which have done 12000kms and no complaints there as well, these tyres have gone through some trecherous north indian hills without issues.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 12:13   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
I guess you havnt checked, but FIAT hasnt launched the 2013 Tjet on a pan-India level yet. It is limited to I think to only the top 8 big cities for now.

So overall, I give credit to the dealer that he bothered to find an existing Tjet owner and convinced him/her to give you a test drive.
My bad. I did not check that and wasn't told by the dealer also. The T-jet isn't available here yet. But still the toll free number experience has left me in a doubt. Anyways, I took a test drive of the top end diesel model today and here are my notes:

1. The interior plastic quality is definitely not upto the mark.

2. There are no proper bottle holders at all in the car throughout which is bothering me considerably.

3. The turning radius is fine. I did not encounter problems taking sharp u-turns.

4. The interiors, especially the mats are prone to get really dirty because of the light colour and our monsoon.

5. The ORVM's are not electrically foldable. I wish this car had this feature. Even my i20 has it.

6. I wasn't able to adjust the steering front and back. The sales rep told me this is also not available. I expected it would be there.

7. The sales rep clearly told me not to expect a good resale value for the T-jet.

Overall, I am satisfied with the car except for the interior fit and finish and no bottle space.

Anybody has any pics of the new bronze shade which has been launched? And is it available for the new T-jet? Please confirm.
Old 13th July 2013, 14:35   #1584
Senior - BHPian

I will try to sort out some of your querries :

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Bad experience to start with Fiat for me.

The dealer in Raipur is a new dealer and just started operations like 3-4 months back. I am not sure what kind of service I can expect if their sales strategy itself is so poor.
I'm having my car serviced from the same dealer that you are talking about and I can confirm that my experience is not bad.

Quote:
My bad. I did not check that and wasn't told by the dealer also. The T-jet isn't available here yet. But still the toll free number experience has left me in a doubt. Anyways, I took a test drive of the top end diesel model today and here are my notes:

1. The interior plastic quality is definitely not upto the mark.

2. There are no proper bottle holders at all in the car throughout which is bothering me considerably.

3. The turning radius is fine. I did not encounter problems taking sharp u-turns.

4. The interiors, especially the mats are prone to get really dirty because of the light colour and our monsoon.

5. The ORVM's are not electrically foldable. I wish this car had this feature. Even my i20 has it.

6. I wasn't able to adjust the steering front and back. The sales rep told me this is also not available. I expected it would be there.

7. The sales rep clearly told me not to expect a good resale value for the T-jet.

Overall, I am satisfied with the car except for the interior fit and finish and no bottle space.

Anybody has any pics of the new bronze shade which has been launched? And is it available for the new T-jet? Please confirm.
1. Internal plastic quality is acceptable, however I won't counter you here.

2. Strangely this is not a criteria at all to decide on the Tjet. I would request you to kindly read the review of this car by GTO to know why this particular car is so special.

3. Turning radius is fine.

4. You can put 3D Kagu or Nomad mats on the floor that will cover almost the whole foot area.

5. But the City and Vento does not have this feature.

6. The Linea has tilt adjustment. But is does not have reach adjustment, which is there only in the Vento.

7. Once you start enjoying the beautiful ride comfort and the immaculate handling plus the power of the 1.4 turbocharged petrol engine, I don't think you'll ever want to sell the Tjet.

I would suggest you wait till the Tjet is launched in CG and then take a long test drive to experience the car.

Last edited by Sommos : 13th July 2013 at 14:38.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 15:12   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
The T-jet isn't available here yet.
Maverick, do take a look at my ownership thread here.

When I went car shopping, this car was not on my list. I just happened to take a look because the car dealer (Tata-Fiat) was next door. Believe me. This car is in another league altogether. Others in this price range don't even get close. The driving pleasure is a class apart. Just wait for the car to be launched in your home town/state. Take a look at the top-end version with leather seats. I am sure it will please you.

Last edited by johy : 13th July 2013 at 15:14.
Old 13th July 2013, 17:27   #1586
BHPian

Apologies for quoting an old post -- but for the sake of clarity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I remember that thread too. Am re-posting the picture. Is this the intercooler ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...g-machine.html
Some more pictures of the intercooler on t-jet:

It's the short and wide grill-like thing at the lower region.

Last edited by nareshov : 13th July 2013 at 17:33.
Old 13th July 2013, 17:47   #1587
BHPian

The Tjet definitely has an intercooler. Infact you can see it through the lower front bumper intake. You could also follow the piping from the turbo, you cannot miss it.

To be honest I dont know how or where this talk of "no intercooler on indian tjet" started.

Cheers,
Manoj
vvmanoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 18:04   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Is there a significant difference in power delivery in the 2013 T-Jet compared to the older version? This was mentioned by the SA at Fiat A.S.S that I visited today, while I was chatting with him. In his words, the old one itself was very good, but the 2013 version literally flies.
Old 13th July 2013, 18:45   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Is there a significant difference in power delivery in the 2013 T-Jet compared to the older version? This was mentioned by the SA at Fiat A.S.S that I visited today, while I was chatting with him. In his words, the old one itself was very good, but the 2013 version literally flies.
The SA must have gone to MBA school. Marketing.

I have not driven the new T-Jet, but the power and torque figures are identical. Kartik has put a new comparison in this post

Conclusion: The old T-Jet and the new T-Jet; both fly very well.
Old 13th July 2013, 19:58   #1590
Senior - BHPian

I like the candidness of the SA.

As for the Bronze colour, there is the Bronzo Scuro (see my Jet above & on previous page). This shade however looks more Brown than Bronze, till the Sun's rays hit it at a particular angle and then the Bronze pops up. Then, there is the Sun Beam Beige (another beautiful shade) which is somewhere in between a light Bronze & dark Gold. Both of these were available earlier but were subsequently discontinued & I do not think that these are being offered anymore, though Fiat will do itself a favour by bringing them back as well as the Fox Trot Azure.

Quote:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks