Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2013, 12:56   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

The price difference between NA Petrol and T-Jet is almost 40-50K. But the advantages you will get in T-Jet will justify that. I am also sure that you can very well recover the difference in the form of better resale price.
The only hidden factor is the discount you will get on NA petrol.
One more important point to note that T-Jet has better mileage than NA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
If I am a sedate driver who rarely cross 2000 rpm, looks like I will hardly get to benefit from turbo power. Would I be better off with the normally aspirated 1.4L version? Does anyone has the torque curve of the TJet engine?
TheTeacher,
I think if you are so much clear in your mind, go for the Diesel. Have you considered Linea MultiJet too. Also Diesel car will surely have better resale value. BTW what other Diesel cars are you considering.

I can see clearly from your post that the chances of buying T-Jet are 0% as

Option 1. T-Jet (Petrol) only car, not practical (if fuel costs are main criteria) if regular touring.
Option 2. Diesel car for touring + small petrol car for in city use - T-Jet doesn't fit in.
Option 3. Small diesel car for touring + T-Jet (daily use car) (can be worked out but the savings won't be 40K, it will be less to the extent of T-Jet usage)
You are in real tricky situation.
At the same time, I must add, the mileage figures for all the petrol cars are in the range of 10-12 KMPL for all practical purposes.

I can see a prospective EcoSport Diesel customer in you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Yes boss, true, but if one plans to use the car extensively (not just once a week), then one has to think of the impact on the wallet. My rough estimate is that I'll spend ~ Rs. 40k more per year with the T-Jet on fuel.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 13:38   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the remapped TJet?
With any remap, are there potential issues that need followup?

I am asking because in case I want to get a remap done, it would mean driving all the way to the nearest centre, which would be ?Delhi!

Do remap issues need frequent updates/maintenance?
Old 6th July 2013, 14:16   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Yes boss, true, but if one plans to use the car extensively (not just once a week), then one has to think of the impact on the wallet. My rough estimate is that I'll spend ~ Rs. 40k more per year with the T-Jet on fuel. I have to question myself hard - is this price worth the joy I'd get from the T-Jet, or would it be better to save that money so I can go more places in a diesel? This will be my only car.
I was in the same dilemma last year and cars short-listed were Linea T-jet and Skoda Rapid. I went with my heart and chose T-jet. After 16 months and 20K Kms on my primary vehicle, do I regret my decision? No way!

My calculation at point stated that I will be spending 60-70K per year over and above what I would have paid on Diesel. So, the decision I had to take is can I not spend 5-6K on MY happiness per month? I take care of all the responsibilities of my family and after all that whatever meagre savings I have, I decided to spend 5-6K on my smile (that I get while drive my T-jet). Believe you me, the extra money spent is totally worth it. No other car in this price bracket can give you the fun, comfort and safety that T-jet can. I have updated details of my ownership in a separate thread feel free to comment here or PM me for any specific queries.

All the best!
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 15:33   #1474
BHPian

Guys, thanks for helping me with my decision! Please help me out with this now.

I did test drive the T-Jet and no doubt about it, the heart is totally captivated. The question I have is, other than on highways (where everybody else will be in the rear view mirror), how much can one use the special characteristics of the T-Jet in the city? I do realize once in a while one can get away from the crowded traffic, but in stop and go?

Also my fear is that I will not be able to stop myself from enjoying the car. Several times in Chennai, in my Baleno, I have been caught by cops just past an intersection for speeding (~ 55km) in the city on broad roads where I would pull away from the traffic and the bikes once the light turned green. There is almost a sub conscious fear that I will be a favorite of the cops with the T-Jet!

Some of you telling me how you use the car in city driving will help clarify things for me.

Thanks in advance!

Carwatcher, perhaps discussing my diesel choices would be OT for this thread and I should start one in the What Car? - Sedans forum. I did drive the diesel Linea by the way and it is one of two disel cars under consideration.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 6th July 2013 at 15:36.
Old 6th July 2013, 17:10   #1475
BHPian

Regarding saving 40K annually on diesel against petrol. My views are as under:
If you keep the car atleast for 5 years, the differential outgo on petrol against diesel would be around 2Lakhs.
1. I assume that the diesel car costs more by 1 Lakh than the Petrol car. So half the differential cost of petrol and diesel is offset by the initial investment. If the difference in the car prices is 1.5Lakh as in some cars today, the savings will be more.
2. The maintenance cost of the diesel car would be higher than the petrol car. So assuming a difference of say 5K per year, 25K for 5 years will be further saved. The 5K difference is just an assumption please. Experts on the forum can give better figures.
So the total difference remains around 75K over 5 years.
3. This may be a far fetched point, but the initial difference of 1 Lakh if kept in a FD will fetch some interest.
4. Thus the spending on the petrol car against diesel car for 5 years is around 75K, that is around 15000/- per year. Which is 1250/- per month , which I believe is negligible for the sheer driving pleasure which the petrol car will give.
Ofcourse one can add the resale factor to the above points, but atleast I don't consider the resale value while buying a new car. Who knows where you land after 5 years. One will surely be financially better off after 5 years as compared to today and the resale value will not matter much at that time!
Just my thoughts please.
SachinVD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 17:43   #1476
BHPian

Sachin, that is a very clear headed analysis - thank you! Right now, there is a promo on the diesel, so the delta between the T-Jet Emotion and MultiJet Emotion on road comes to 75k. Doing your analysis, the additional monthly fuel cost for petrol in my estimated usage scenario works out to about Rs. 1,250; nothing worth bothering about.

An additional factor of savings which just occurred to me: I believe insurance rates are lower for petrol vehicles as compared to diesels.
Old 6th July 2013, 18:27   #1477
BHPian

Took another test drive today, this time newly acquired Emotion variant test drive car of Oberoi Fiat. The route I took is different from earlier test drive of Dynamic variant of Kashyab Fiat. I could not find much difference in ride quality. Cabin is quiet. Changing gear between 1600 to 2000 rpm still pulls you through effortlessly to next gear. Since torque peaks at 2200 rpm I believe I am still using its pulling power to good use.

My mind is almost made up now. Infact whenever I go through bumpy patches in my existing car I always imagine what it would feel like in the Linea.

Oberoi is offering free insurance and RSA. Kashyab on the other hand denied it, offering only 50% discount on insurance.
Old 6th July 2013, 18:39   #1478
BHPian

I presume you're referring to the T-Jet, Guite?

I too have almost made up my mind on it. (!)
Old 6th July 2013, 18:42   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thanks for helping me with my decision! Please help me out with this now.

Some of you telling me how you use the car in city driving will help clarify things for me.

Thanks in advance!
Until last week, I've been driving in the city in such a way that invariably leaves me with an average mileage of about 8 kmpL. I upgraded my Blue&Me firmware and setup Ecodrive. This collects stats and dumps (some binary format) them - at the end of each drive after the engine is shut off -- into a USB drive (also contains music files) connected to the B&M unit. Once I get home, I plug it in my laptop while the Ecodrive application is running and it generates meaningful info like these:

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-fiat1.jpg

The trend:

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-fiat2.jpg

I'm expecting a much better fuel consumption figure this time (will post when I measure this) and when I have one more day's data for the Ecodrive application, that'll be sufficient data for it to suggest me some tips that'll help improve my "eco:Index".

A data-driven approach (that I hope works out in the long run)!

Mod Note : It is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th August 2013 at 10:28.
nareshov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 20:49   #1480
BHPian

Thanks everybody. Decision made: it will be the T-Jet Emotion for me!

I need your help with respect to the accessories required. I know at least the reverse camera is much needed; any tips on brand / model?

I need to go through the PDI checklist and the VIN thread now.
Old 6th July 2013, 21:40   #1481
BHPian

Congrats on deciding the Jet. My Finance constraints does not permit me to own the Jet. Which colour did you choose?. Do share some pictures when you get your Jet.

I wonder what is preventing the Fiat in offering a Auto Box on TJet and plonking T-Jet in Punto?
Old 6th July 2013, 21:45   #1482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did test drive the T-Jet and no doubt about it, the heart is totally captivated. The question I have is, other than on highways (where everybody else will be in the rear view mirror), how much can one use the special characteristics of the T-Jet in the city? I do realize once in a while one can get away from the crowded traffic, but in stop and go?
Quote:
Drive it as you would drive any other car, you'll find it pretty easy to potter around in the city traffic, compared to NA petrol cars. I don't rev too much in the city or drive like I would on the highway. This car is really built for the highways, but that's a different issue. That doesn't mean you can't have any fun with it in the city. The strong pull post-1500rpm makes city driving effortless, and you can almost potter around town with the oodles of low-end torque, very much like a diesel car. Power is always available on tap, at the slightest nudge of the throttle pedal. On empty stretches, you can always let loose once in a while

A normal driving pattern in the city would be to rev till ~2500 rpm in all the gears and then shift up. This way, you aren't lugging by upshifting too early, and yet having enough fun in the turbo range. The pull becomes explosive after 2000 rpm and continues all the way upto 5500 rpm, so it is a bit impractical or even impossible to utilize the full potential of that mid-range / high-range explosion inside the city. On highways, I generally shift up at 3500 rpm on twisties for that wicked smile. On expressways, I usually prefer maintaining sane and constant speeds - this actually gives me FE figures of 15-16 kmpl without any fuss.

I don't use the T-Jet in the city anymore after the MultiJet came home, but I can safely say both offer decent, similar low-end driveability.

Last edited by KarthikK : 6th July 2013 at 22:10.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2013, 21:53   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Congrats on deciding the Jet. My Finance constraints does not permit me to own the Jet. Which colour did you choose?. Do share some pictures when you get your Jet.
Thanks. It's the wonderful folks here who helped me decide. If not for TBHP, Fiat would not even have been in my shortlist.

Color certainly will not be Hip Hop Black or Tuscan Wine. Oceanic Blue? Don't know, have to see one first. Leaning towards Minimal Grey or New Pearl White.
Old 6th July 2013, 22:10   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. It's the wonderful folks here who helped me decide. If not for TBHP, Fiat would not even have been in my shortlist.

Color certainly will not be Hip Hop Black or Tuscan Wine. Oceanic Blue? Don't know, have to see one first. Leaning towards Minimal Grey or New Pearl White.
Congrats on your decision to own the Jet!

For the Oceanic Blue, puchoo sire, come to the rescue! :lol
Even I would love to see the Linea in Oceanic Blue.
Old 6th July 2013, 22:10   #1485
BHPian

TheTeacher, Congrats on booking your new car.

The sales person I spoke to indicated the display of the reverse camera will be fitted over the inside rear view mirror. That would be very bulky. I thought they would just replace the mirror and fit something like the one in Verna. Please share user experience and photo of the accessory when you fit it. Existing users may also kindly share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks