Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 23:04   #301
BHPian

Guys,

would any one need a spare wheel cover I'm planning to stitch two for Lamby and LI , rexine is 160 Rs. meter and we can stitch almost three in it. and it would be of far better quality than any of the sites that i saw, the expensive thing would be to make a screen for screen printing. thus if we make it in abundance it would cost less, or else i'm anyways gonna make it.

P.S. My father was the seat cover suppliers for Bajaj and also stepni cover supplier to Tata Safari, hence it certainly would be a good job
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:32   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Guys,

would any one need a spare wheel cover I'm planning to stitch two for Lamby and LI , rexine is 160 Rs. meter and we can stitch almost three in it. and it would be of far better quality than any of the sites that i saw, the expensive thing would be to make a screen for screen printing. thus if we make it in abundance it would cost less, or else i'm anyways gonna make it.

P.S. My father was the seat cover suppliers for Bajaj and also stepni cover supplier to Tata Safari, hence it certainly would be a good job
Hi Rakesh, I recently got a bunch of Lambretta spare wheel covers made, and some can be seen on scooters belonging to our Club members. The Lambretta logo is painted on with white paint, it might need slight touch up. Screen printing will be of better quality than the covers I have. PM me if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00161.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-rear_rack.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 14:23   #303
BHPian

Info on Bearings

Hi Restorers.
Tired of hunting bearings for your restoration projects? Well the below link and the attached picture make your job simpler. Rather than going to an automobile store and plainly asking for a "Crankshaft bearings for Li150" for example, go to any bearing store (You can locate them from the local yellow pages or sites like tradeindia or alibaba.com), mention the number and take away the bearings you wanted.
This makes you aware of the specs of the bearings needed in your vehicle as well as keeping the cost down. Autostores buy bearings from such people and sell you only at MRP or even more since it is meant for a Vintage vehicle.
Same applies to oil seals as well. Hydraulic and pneumatic spares shop stock infinite varieties of oil seals. Guys go there and get new & soft oil seals, than catching hold of a 10 old stock from a vintage spare parts store and finally feeling happy on seeing a label like "Lamby/Vijai kick shaft oil seal". Hope you are aware years old hard rubber in the oil seals serve no purpose.
Look for bearings commonized across different vehicle manufacturers. Take a look into the below link. Looks like the front wheel bearings (6201) are same as in Bajaj Chetak. Such information makes it easier for the auto store persons to find parts.
Learn, feel, engineer and enjoy the restoration.
Links for reference
http://www.neibearing.com/nbcpdf/TTWAUTO.pdf

-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-bearings_for_lambretta.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 2nd December 2009 at 14:29.
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:01   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Hi Rakesh, I recently got a bunch of Lambretta spare wheel covers made, and some can be seen on scooters belonging to our Club members. The Lambretta logo is painted on with white paint, it might need slight touch up. Screen printing will be of better quality than the covers I have. PM me if interested.

Thanks a ton Sid,

however I want a Lambretta with innocenti at as an incet at the bottom, I'll start with screen printing...
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:17   #305
BHPian

Here are some pics of how my Red Devil is coming up:
Kindly let me know if any more attention is needed in any part i would really love to do it.

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-306.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-314.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-316.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-323.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-389.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-392.jpg
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:38   #306
BHPian

My system just hanged while posting the pics, dont know wether they'd be published or not hence posting the pictures of lamby again. These are the latest developments, need your comments and suggestions over any thing that has missed my attention, will certanly rectify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-306.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-314.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-316.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-323.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-389.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta-392.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 21:57   #307
BHPian

The Air filter scoop is from Vijai in the pics, I have got a new for Lamby painted.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:59   #308
BHPian

Great going Lambyman - keep up the good work!

Cheers mate

Hope you have all the small painful parts to make this machine a mindblowing restoration.

Go for stainless steel hardware and springs now.

And a stainless steel hand made muffler.... I am getting one made for my machine

All the best and let me know if you need any help/parts

Regards
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:12   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Great going Lambyman - keep up the good work!

Cheers mate

Hope you have all the small painful parts to make this machine a mindblowing restoration.

Go for stainless steel hardware and springs now.

And a stainless steel hand made muffler.... I am getting one made for my machine

All the best and let me know if you need any help/parts

Regards

Thanks a Ton Saurav,

I did not understand what you meant by stainless steel muffler also how would it benefit?
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:15   #310
BHPian

I knew it you would ask me that

SS muffler never corrodes and when polished it gleams better than chrome and also never rusts or fades away with a sound that is awesome and outlasts the scooter itself.

When you are in this league of restoration a SS muffler is a MUST

Also try to lay your hands on an original tail pipe for a Lamby

Cheers
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:02   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
SS muffler never corrodes and when polished it gleams better than chrome and also never rusts or fades away with a sound that is awesome and outlasts the scooter itself.

When you are in this league of restoration a SS muffler is a MUST
Saurabh, I have heard good and bad things about SS exhaust systems - while no doubt it will last an eternity and look great, some old hands tell me that they do not take high temperatures well and are prone to cracking, and recommend MS over SS. Have you used these before? What has your experience been?
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:08   #312
BHPian

Great job Lambyman!

There is a a rumour stainless exhaust systems have a detrimental effect on engine performance. It, apparently, has to do with the way the exhaust gasses flow.
Stainless is good for things that are not expected to bend or flex because it is brittle. Cracking is commonplace. I have stainless wheel rims on mine and so far, so good, however, a couple of my fellow scooterist friends have had theirs break!
A friend of mine who is a welder spends a lot of time repairing stainless items.
I imagine the sound is very crisp and bell-like due to the thin stainless being like a very tight drumskin.

Choose SS wisely.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:03   #313
BHPian

Hey Sid,

Finally I purchased the Lambretta Cento Today.

Soon I'll post the pics.
Old 7th December 2009, 12:14   #314
BHPian

Hi MItch & Lambyman,

The SS Exhaust has no such problem untill and unless it has not been designed well and is made using thin steel sheet. However if the right guage is used and the internals are solid and glasswool is used the sound can be pretty well - music to ears!

I have had mine made to order, by hand and its not a stamped casing and internals are also made in thick stainless steel.

I have never had cracking problems with SS so far on any of my restorations - whether cars or bikes.

So go ahead and choose SS over MS - ANYDAY!

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 7th December 2009, 13:04   #315
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, please forgive me.
@Sid: Were you in Cubbon Park on Sunday morning @ around 11:15AM in front of the library riding your blue lamby with a blue helmet? Spotted a neatly maintained lamby and thought it was yours. Please confirm if it was you.
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 7th December 2009 at 13:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks