Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 00:28   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Inderpalji thanks for posting the details and I should say you have got a great taste for WV's. I have gone through each and every alphabet of you 65 Toyota Carona, this reminds me that you should have a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ in your collection that's a good SUV. I have even gone through you Vespa thread, simple and lovely she is fortunately I also own one and pamper with a great share of love compared to other few which I own.

I appreciate each and every vintage/classic car, bike owners here and else where who have put in infinite amount of energy, time and money to up keep these magnificent monuments of those era.
Old 19th June 2011, 14:25   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a Landmaster that I've been seeing for many years in Bombay - probably one of the last of its kind that one sees in use.
I remember it being single tone powder blue, the two tone paint scheme must be a recent job.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-01.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-02.jpg

The BLI registration was issued in the 1980s in Bombay, and I believe it was a series exclusively for all existing old cars to be re-registered. Thankfully better sense prevailed and the original series of registrations were still valid after some lobbying by the VCCCI I'm told (subject to correction).

I assume this car would have been BML registered originally.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 21:36   #513
Senior - BHPian

Very pretty looking car, and its astonishing that it's a regular runner, excellently maintained machine. This car made me to think about why not a Land master apart from a MarkII for my uncle & aunt who are looking out for a basic car i.e., an Ambassador back in my village. A.P Team BHPians any help will be appreciated
Old 19th June 2011, 22:16   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a Landmaster that I've been seeing for many years in Bombay - probably one of the last of its kind that one sees in use.
I remember it being single tone powder blue, the two tone paint scheme must be a recent job.

Attachment 562653

Attachment 562654

The BLI registration was issued in the 1980s in Bombay, and I believe it was a series exclusively for all existing old cars to be re-registered. Thankfully better sense prevailed and the original series of registrations were still valid after some lobbying by the VCCCI I'm told (subject to correction).

I assume this car would have been BML registered originally.
Karl, thats a fine example surviving.Please also check out this thread. You will find another Landmaster MTE 3189 (re-registered in 1979)that had joined in our CIVAA, 15th August, run at Nagpur.The colour scheme is almost the same as the BLI one you have posted.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-events-3.html
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc05714.jpg
(posting this image too from the same event)
Old 19th June 2011, 22:55   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Karl, thats a fine example surviving.Please also check out this thread. You will find another Landmaster MTE 3189 (re-registered in 1979)that had joined in our CIVAA, 15th August, run at Nagpur.The colour scheme is almost the same as the BLI one you have posted.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-events-3.html
Attachment 562839
(posting this image too from the same event)
There used to be a small circular flip type cover for the stating handle hole, its missing it can be procured at chore bazar.
Old 19th June 2011, 23:35   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
There used to be a small circular flip type cover for the stating handle hole, its missing it can be procured at chore bazar.
Yes. I remember seeing this. It was there in the early Ambassadors also. Isn't it Veer ji.
Old 20th June 2011, 23:12   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Yes. I remember seeing this. It was there in the early Ambassadors also. Isn't it Veer ji.
No, it just stopped with Land masters.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:04   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The early Ambassadors had this feature (all Mark I's) and I believe I have seen this in Ambassadors made till 1968 or so. Maybe I can be corrected, but the 1970 car my relative owned did not have this feature.
Quote:
No, it just stopped with Land masters.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-new-image.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-new-image1.jpg
Iqbalji, These are two Ambassadors Mark II from the earlier years. Both are fitted with the Smiths meters.

Quote:
There used to be a small circular flip type
cover for the stating handle hole, its missing it can be procured at chore bazar.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-new-image3.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-new-image2.jpg
The earliest Landmasters (above) had the aesthetically designed ones with the flip cover, but in the later ones it became as simple as these.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st June 2011 at 08:10.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 12:06   #519
Team-BHP Support

Now all you Amby/Landmaster lovers, don’t kill me for this.

Few of you here may know that I have one 1959 Amby. It was my only car till 2004 March. Post that I didn’t use it on a daily basis and small, small issues started developing. But they were more of non-usage kind of issues.

Another big issue was finding a right mechanic who could look after the car. All I wanted to do is to bring it back in shape and use it regularly. In order to do that, few things had to change. One can surely say that it’s not an original Amby any more and I’ll agree. Jobs were done 18 years ago, are now going through a thorough detailed way again. It’s taking way too much time as Murphy’s law comes into the picture. Workers missing, parts ordered but yet to come, main guys house construction in Kerala.. The list goes on.

Anyway, work started long back and probably it will take another two months to complete. I’m not complaining but waiting for car to come out exactly as I visualised.

Just to have a point of reference and for the paint shop to follow what I mean, here’s a sample.
For those who are interested in Adobe Illustrator/PhotoShop.. line drawing has been done on Illustrator and taken as paths on PhotoShop for painting. Lighting has been worked out as a giant softbox above the car on a limbo white gray seamless backdrop. This is the only way to demonstrate Amby’s bodyline. Car’s measurement is accurate to +/- 5mm. Wheel rims are from BMW E30 1983 -1992. This is bolt on over Conti’s pins position. I have these rims on the car.

At the end of the day my Amby must look like this and it will.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-tonef.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 21:46   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The early Ambassadors had this feature (all Mark I's) and I believe I have seen this in Ambassadors made till 1968 or so. Maybe I can be corrected, but the 1970 car my relative owned did not have this feature.
I am sure the 1970 Ambassadors had the starting handle hole in the bumper, but no hole cover as OE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Now all you Amby/Landmaster lovers, don’t kill me for this.
At the end of the day my Amby must look like this and it will.
Attachment 563584
Boss, is there any x y axes disproportion in the picture? It appears to be slightly out of proportion.
Perhaps, the size of the picture is creating such an illusion. Or is it my computer is cheating me.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st June 2011 at 21:50.
Old 21st June 2011, 21:50   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Boss, is there any x y axes disproportion in the picture? It appears to be slightly out of proportion.
Perhaps, the size of the picture is creating such an illusion. Or is it my computer is cheating me.
As I mentioned before..
Quote:
Car’s measurement is accurate to +/- 5mm.
What exactly you mean by slightly out of proportion?
Old 21st June 2011, 22:05   #522
Senior - BHPian

Rudra,

I am loving the black color and your rendering. what color will you paint the wheels, off white / cream, will look awesome.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:13   #523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
what color will you paint the wheels, off white / cream, will look awesome.
Manish, I don't think off white/cream will go with the overall look. Thought about three options and they're open to discuss. One could be straight steel disk's silver. Second is dark silver and regular silver combo. Third is Matt black and regular silver.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-original.jpg
Old 21st June 2011, 22:22   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 563521
Attachment 563522
Iqbalji, These are two Ambassadors Mark II from the earlier years. Both are fitted with the Smiths meters.

Attachment 563524
Attachment 563523
The earliest Landmasters (above) had the aesthetically designed ones with the flip cover, but in the later ones it became as simple as these.
Provisison for the handle cover lid is only in the first photo of the taxi unlike second photo.
There is a jugaad for that lid cover,
Old 21st June 2011, 22:29   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
As I mentioned before..

What exactly you mean by slightly out of proportion?
What I meant was the ratio between length to height. As I said earlier, could be an optical illusion as well, probably created by the size of the picture and the all black effect.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st June 2011 at 22:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks