Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 21:52   #781
Senior - BHPian

Anyone noticed the Padmini in the movie "Three Idiots"?

The movie was shot in IIM-B.. So guess its a car from Bangalore.
Old 30th December 2009, 11:19   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Anyone noticed the Padmini in the movie "Three Idiots"?

The movie was shot in IIM-B.. So guess its a car from Bangalore.
But the car is shown Stranded, which is sad.
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:45   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MEB 9974 is a 1971 model.

This type of meter shown in pic came only in 71 and 72? I think there was a similar meter with blue background..
Besides the ignition key what are the two meters for i.e. what sort of reading do they show ? Just curious to know about it.
Old 4th January 2010, 06:53   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Besides the ignition key what are the two meters for i.e. what sort of reading do they show ? Just curious to know about it.
Left side of ignition key is AMP Meter and right one is Oil Pressure meter i think.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:45   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Left side of ignition key is AMP Meter and right one is Oil Pressure meter i think.
Samsag12,

In addition to what Arun has mentioned above, I would add that both are after market extras and not originals.

Incidently, the meters shown were the "jetline" specials (I think they were called that) from Yenkay. The shape was exactly like the analog meters used in the Airplanes those days and hence "jetline". During my college days they were the ultimate "cool things". They costed about Rs 75-100 more than the conventional ones.

In my dad's Amby in 1974, I had fitted up oil, volt, temperature gauges in addition to the Amp and fuel from this range. It used to look really groovy

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Carefully

Ram
Old 4th January 2010, 10:56   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Incidently, the meters shown were the "jetline" specials (I think they were called that) from Yenkay. The shape was exactly like the analog meters used in the Airplanes those days and hence "jetline". During my college days they were the ultimate "cool things".

In my dad's Amby in 1974, I had fitted up oil, volt, temperature gauges in addition to the Amp and fuel from this range. It used to look really groovy
Sir,
This pic is from Sujith's 1978 Padmini. Are these "jetline" meters or the ones showed in the other pic. These black meters too look cool.

The center meter is average fuel consumption meter or something like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-suji.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 4th January 2010 at 10:58.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:24   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
This pic is from Sujith's 1978 Padmini. Are these "jetline" meters or the ones showed in the other pic. These black meters too look cool.

@Arun: Thats a fuel efficiency meter. As per what Suji told me last time, it isnt functioning properly. Can anyone tell me how this meter works? Was this an after market add on?

Also, any idea on the steering wheel Sujith car has. It looks like a OMNI one but has a PAL horn button. Was this after market too?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:14   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

Arun,

The one in MEB 9974 to the left of the ignition is the original "jetline meters." The colour combination of the dial and the needles are also the correct one. The ones in Sujith's car has the glass holding rings visible in them. The "jetlines" does not show these as very prominent. I think in Sujith's car possibly conventional gauges have been inserted in to a "jetline" outer (I am just guessing). The middle one is the "Performance Gauge" (average fuel consumption meters)

The one to the right if I remember correctly was the look alike produced by Autometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@Arun: Thats a fuel efficiency meter. As per what Suji told me last time, it isnt functioning properly. Can anyone tell me how this meter works? Was this an after market add on?

Also, any idea on the steering wheel Sujith car has. It looks like a OMNI one but has a PAL horn button. Was this after market too?
@funkykar: The Performace gauge was an after market item. Its in simple terms a vacuum meter (I don't know the complicated explanation) which is connected by a rubber hose to a tap made in the manifold of the car. The hose and the nipple to fit on the manifold was provided with the meter as OE.

If you look at the meter it is garduated in different colour. On a properly tuned engine if the needle is maintained in the "green" zone it gives the optimum milage - I think it was lableed as DRIVE. When the car is driven with a hard right foot usually it would be in yellow.

Trust this was useful information

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 4th January 2010 at 12:22.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:20   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

What is that small Red button in place of choke knob ?
Old 4th January 2010, 12:27   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
What is that small Red button in place of choke knob ?
NOS switch.

Windshield washer.
Old 4th January 2010, 13:13   #791
Senior - BHPian

Recently i got a cigarette lighter fitted in my PP S1. I told the electrician to connect it in such a way that when the car is on then only it should work. The electrician wired up the whole thing and connected a wire to the starter directly. Now what i want to know is that is this safe or should i get a fuse installed for it. Also is there any risk if i charge my mobile without the fuse.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:45   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - re your post no 787 on "fuel efficiency meter", actually it is a vacuum guage connected to the intake manifold vacuum. However, in case of externally vented carburettor, it is necessary to keep the inlet manifold breather orifice open to ensure good performance. Therefore, please do not connect such "devices". You can connect it for some time, check the idling vacuum which should be ideally 480 mm of Hg, then remove it.

The steering wheel is totally aftermarket. Please remove it. There is a need to have a metallic core inside, which transmits steering torque. Such aftermarket products must never be used.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 4th January 2010, 16:26   #793
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - re your post no 787 on "fuel efficiency meter", actually it is a vacuum guage connected to the intake manifold vacuum. However, in case of externally vented carburettor, it is necessary to keep the inlet manifold breather orifice open to ensure good performance. Therefore, please do not connect such "devices". You can connect it for some time, check the idling vacuum which should be ideally 480 mm of Hg, then remove it.

The steering wheel is totally aftermarket. Please remove it. There is a need to have a metallic core inside, which transmits steering torque. Such aftermarket products must never be used.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, my car is running with that steering from 17years and we have maintained the car very well. We have never felt any time any sort of tightness in the steering. In addition to that I have put 165/80R14 in last Feb and still the steering feels very light and easy to turn. Infact my cars is much easier to turn U-turns and in parking zones compared to many other Fiats.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:41   #794
BANNED

Performance meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post

My steering wheel is from the M800, when my car was first restored some where in '92 or '93 it was fitted with this steering. At that time many Fiats were running with 800's steering wheels. Dhabhar sir should be able to tell how the PAL logo came in Maruthi steerings !

The Fuel-Efficiency meter is connected to the inlet-manifold and measures the vaccum pressure in the manifold, depending on which it show in which range the engine is performing. Accordingly the tunning can be adjusted to get better fuel-efficiency. As said by come of our seniors its basically a Vaccum-gauge.

All the fitting done to my car are after market. It was done in Krishna's Garage (Jayaram Reddy's regular garage). So the main was to make the car like a new car and to run trouble free for a longer period of time
Old 4th January 2010, 16:42   #795
Senior - BHPian

Please can anyone tell me one thing that if the engine of the car is consuming oil then what is the effect of it on the catalytic converter (PP S1). Does it get damaged or remains unaffected. The oil can be seen in the tail pipe of the car. So i am a little worried about it. Dhabhar sir can you throw some light on it.

Last edited by samsag12 : 4th January 2010 at 16:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks