Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2018, 13:38   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
SHARP testing standards and results are easily available. Unlike other certifications which we can mostly assume only. So why skip it?

Regarding the RPHA - Reason for the 3 star is shown below. Poor side protection. Now that's data which i would consider more relevant over what most people call it. Ofcourse- I might not be knowing everything and if there is similar data which proves this wrong - I'd be happy about it.

Agree with the VFM features point of view though. The Fortnine review (in their usual unbiased style) had only praises for it.
I am not skipping anything - Helmet safety ratings are too subjective & different unlike the NCAP crash ratings. For eg. Snell & Sharp have different peak energy allowances, number of impacts, energy levels used etc. Sharp also uses data based on European riding conditions which might be very different from Indian/US riding conditions.

I for one - will trust my $650 Shoei more than the $100 MT Revenge - despite the difference in Sharp ratings.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 15:22   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a similar fashion. I say Swift received 3 stars in Euro NCAP, and you argue Mustang is so famous and premium and it has only three stars - does it make sense?
The Mustang argument absolutely doesn't make sense, I agree. That's why I never used that example . Its not about money, but the actual performance (in a crash)

An Arai Corsair V for example carries a 3 star Sharp rating and is available for sale to the (rich) junta, and yet protects Dani Pedrosa's head when he crashes at over 200 KPH

Good enough for me. The Sharp rating can go fly a kite
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 19:53   #2538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post

I for one - will trust my $650 Shoei more than the $100 MT Revenge - despite the difference in Sharp ratings.
Quote:
Most ARAI designs get the 3 star due to poor results in side impacts. Whereas it covers all other angles pretty well. As for premium and racing - those depends on the money spent on marketing - won't it?
First off, it is very difficult to make one helmet from the basis of making sure it conforms to all rating standards around the world.

From what i gathered online, arai makes helmets suited specifically for snell only. Every other rating comes after that. Understandable, considering arai specializes around track helmets as a mainstay. So a helmet that does excellent on snell, might not do the same in sharp. Further, any helmet that has an inner sun visor automatically does not meet snell standards, because the forehead area is hollow and hence deemed not safe. Guess what, not a single arai has an inner sun visor. Thats right, they went out and reimagined the whole visor thing and put it on the outside, just to ensure they stay relevant AND secure the snell rating. Now the MT lids all have inner sun visors, and they do well in sharp. Where are they with snell?

Read up more on the inner sun visor element, and you will understand where arai comes from. They are not all marketing. Hell, they do not market at all!

I stick with snell. And i stick with what moto gp and formula 1 wears. I do not see a single MT there. Remember, even if you pay these guys a million bucks, they and the FIA value life over everything else. Quality ALWAYS comes first.

There is no way we can be comparing an MT with an Arai. Damn, even the guy who heads up spartan selling this will beat a hasty retreat.

More reading, easy on the head (pun intended)
http://www.riderzone.in/motorcycle-h...e-snell-sharp/
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 20:11   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree.

Not sure why MT Revenge came up though. Revenge is a budget helmet and no two ways about it. For the price it retails at - is quite a decent option with the SHARP rating - for the lack of better proven helmets at that range. Certainly doesn't mean an ARAI is inferior to it.

Discussion was about HJC RPHA 11. Whether it is the best way to spend 30k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
First off, it is very difficult to make one helmet from the basis of making sure it conforms to all rating standards around the world.
Absolutely true.

Quote:
Guess what, not a single arai has an inner sun visor.

Now the MT lids all have inner sun visors, and they do well in sharp. Where are they with snell?
Agree with your point, but you are factually wrong there.

Revenge has 5 star and it doesnt have an inner visor. Blade gets 3 star due to the front inner visor, as the front gets a yellow rather than green.

Quote:
I stick with snell. And i stick with what moto gp and formula 1 wears. I do not see a single MT there.

There is no way we can be comparing an MT with an Arai.
Lol! Funny how the whole discussion went elsewhere.

I fully understand the relevance of SNELL rating. This discussion, if you read it fully, all started with the HJC RPHA 11. Which neither gets SNELL nor gets a good SHARP rating.

Now what should we consider for this one - Is it a best buy at 30k?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th January 2018 at 20:19.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:14   #2540
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the MT revenge snell rated then? They are not. They are ece and dot approved. And sharp rated. So ask yourself, why hasnt it been sent for snell approvals?

Re hjc rpha11, If you cant take it out on track, its not worth spending that much money on. That is my take on it as far as street focused full face lids are concerned. Not talking modular or adv styled lids.

Last edited by Red Liner : 16th January 2018 at 20:18.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 20:24   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree.

Not sure why MT Revenge came up though. Revenge is a budget helmet and no two ways about it. For the price it retails at - is quite a decent option with the SHARP rating - for the lack of better proven helmets at that range. Certainly doesn't mean an ARAI is inferior to it.

Because i thought you were saying Sharp rating is the gold standard My Shoei GT-Air gets 3 star on Sharp while MT Revenge gets 5 stars. And both are not Snell rated (GT-Air because of internal sun visor - RF-1200 is the same model without sun visor and it had a Snell rating).

Quote:
Discussion was about HJC RPHA 11. Whether it is the best way to spend 30k?
I dont see a better option in India @ 30k - do you ?

Quote:
I stick with snell. And i stick with what moto gp and formula 1 wears. I do not see a single MT there. Remember, even if you pay these guys a million bucks, they and the FIA value life over everything else. Quality ALWAYS comes first.
[/url]
While i agree with you - MotoGP is not Snell but just ECE as far as i know :-) BTW as your article also says - even Snell has its fair share of criticism.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:26   #2542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is the MT revenge snell rated then? They are not. They are ece and dot approved. And sharp rated. So ask yourself, why hasnt it been sent for snell approvals? .
Frankly not interested in going in circles. As i mentioned above, its a budget helmet (which i consider good for its budget) and i would pass this question to whoever brought it to this discussion.

Quote:
Re hjc rpha11, If you cant take it out on track, its not worth spending that much money on.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th January 2018 at 20:28.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:28   #2543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly not interested in going in circles. As i mentioned above, its a budget helmet and i would pass this question to whoever brought it to this discussion.

I see a lot of people buying MT solely based on sharp ratings, when they could afford something a lot better. That was for them.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:34   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly not interested in going in circles. As i mentioned above, its a budget helmet (which i consider good for its budget) and i would pass this question to whoever brought it to this discussion.
Absolutely agree - MT is probably the best in sub-10k range. But cant be compared to likes of Arai/Shark/Shoei/Schuberth - heck even HJC/Scorpion etc

Quote:
I see a lot of people buying MT solely based on sharp ratings, when they could afford something a lot better. That was for them.
Well said.

Though i still think Rpha series is probably best helmets available locally in India below 50k Arai's.
Old 16th January 2018, 20:51   #2545
BHPian

https://jalopnik.com/5582380/how-the...urnalist-fired

A bit of an OT, but related to Snell and a question of how much they can be trusted and why they aren't anywhere close to being a gold standard for helmet safety.
Old 17th January 2018, 11:18   #2546
BHPian

Dear good lord! i did not expect the HJC Rpha 11 to stir up a debate.

There are multiple reasons why i bought what i did. Let me put this down:

1. There is no official Arai/ Shoei dealer in Delhi where i could go wear the helmet and see the fit for myself. This was very very important for me because i absolutely did not want to buy a helmet without wearing it. HJC was available for me to wear and check and at the same price as it is in Europe. 20k saved now meant that i could immediately get myself a good pair of Alpinestar riding pants rather than wait 4-5 months for it.

2. While budget was not a constraint, from helmets officially available in Delhi, I found the fit and use of the Rpha to be perfect for my head shape.

3. It is not an unsafe helmet by any mean. Yes, it has may have a 3 star sharp rating but is fully DOT and ECE approved. In so far as track use is concerned, please do note that the BIC allows this to be used on their track without any issues whatsoever.

4. All reviews online (including FortNine and Revzilla) had nothing but praise for this helmet and it has consistently featured as the top 5 of 2017 along with the Shoei and Arai lids and it helped me take an informed decision.

Cheers!
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 12:27   #2547
Senior - BHPian

The Only way we can try Arai and Shoei Helmets is that we can ask friends to let us wear it just once using a clean Balaclava to maintain hygiene for both the owner of the helmet as well as me.
I tried a Shoei RF1200 which was with a friend. Found its size and shape suitable to my head and bought one for myself from an online store. Loving it right now.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 14:04   #2548
Distinguished - BHPian

Keeping aside the 3* vs 4* vs 5* rating discussion for a minute, the difference between riding with a good mid range helmet and a top of the line one is startling. You typically benefit from better visibility (visor clarity is often underrated), great airflow, very comfortable cushioning and lighter weight that combine for a much better riding experience.

Quote:
I dont see a better option in India @ 30k - do you ?
I was looking for an upgrade from my Nolan N86 (a superb all rounder in itself) and as great as the better offerings from Arai and AGV are, their eye watering prices in India made me reconsider very quickly. I really liked everything about the RPHA 11 which is HJC's top of the line offering. It fit me very well, the prices were reasonable and reviews have been good. The 3 star SHARP rating was the only thing that kept me from buying one. A few weeks later, I found that Big Bear Customs in Bangalore had stock of the Shark Race R Pro (which is 5* SHARP rated) which I just loved and bought for Rs 32,000. Yes, the SHARP rating was the deciding factor for me.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 17th January 2018 at 14:05.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 18:28   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A few weeks later, I found that Big Bear Customs in Bangalore had stock of the Shark Race R Pro (which is 5* SHARP rated) which I just loved and bought for Rs 32,000. Yes, the SHARP rating was the deciding factor for me.
Great Choice :-) I didnt know Shark is available in Blr.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:07   #2550
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new helmet under 15k.
The ones in my list are:
1. Sol Metal Man
2. HJC CL 17
3. HJC IS 17
4. HJC FG 17
5. LS2 Arrow C Evo

I am looking for a better venting system than my current LS2 FF 342 Corsa. Will really appreciate everyone's views and/or suggestions if I have missed out any model. Thanks in anticipation!

Most Viewed