Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:42   #3706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Does anyone have experience with the DSG Evo 2 Air jacket? I tried it on the other day and the bicep area is a bit snug. Another inch over there would have been great. Thankfully I dont go to the gym these days! But other than that, I really liked the fit of the jacket. It comes with CE level 2 armours (DSGs own) and has the option of chest protectors.

The Riding Gear thread-1.jpg

Some of you will remember that I picked up a Rynox Air GT3 jacket last year. I have probably ridden with it for around a 1,000 kms. Its a very nice, airy jacket but the fit has become a bit too loose for me. It hasnt helped that I lost some weight since the time I bought it. I had picked it up when it came with all the liners, now you can get it without the liners as well. Once I get a suitable replacement mesh jacket, I will put up the Rynox jacket for sale at a good price.

My other options are from the Royal Enfield range of jackets, which are quite good value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

Waterproof gloves

Excellent post, thanks for sharing! This is very helpful.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 17:07   #3707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My other options are from the Royal Enfield range of jackets, which are quite good value for money.
Hi Neil,

6KIOM has some new stock of Furygan gear, you can check out their Atom mesh jacket
Comes with D3O armours, you've to buy the D3O back protector separately. I had tried these many years ago at a superbike fest, that time the cost was around 10k. 6KIOM has some old stock on sale too.

PS. Zarco is having an excellent fight back in every MotoGP race this year!

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 28th June 2021 at 17:09.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:55   #3708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neil,

6KIOM has some new stock of Furygan gear, you can check out their Atom mesh jacket

Thanks man, I didnt realize that Furygan jackets have come back. Let me keep an eye out for them here in Cochin. Ive seen them earlier and tried them out. Definitely good quality gear.

Meanwhile, I went to a local Royal Enfield dealer to try out their mesh jackets. From my research, I was most impressed by the Explorer but when I wore it, I felt it could have been a bit longer. It wasnt a deal breaker but I felt it should have been at least an inch or two longer, to fit its all rounder profile. There was only one problem. The elbow armour was set far too low for it to be usable. Even the sales guy agreed with me and felt it was unusual.

I tried the Streetwind V2 next. It was everything that I expected it to be. Light, airy and you certainly wont feel the weight of wearing a riding jacket. That will definitely appeal to a lot of first time jacket buyers. But here, the sleeves were just too long. They were at least an inch and a half too long. I tried on two different jacket and it was exactly the same. For riders who wear short gloves, this isnt going to be an issue but I only wear full gauntlets and sometimes I tuck in the sleeves into the gloves. I cant do that with the Streetwind V2. This is a surprising design flaw in the Streetwind V2. I hope Royal Enfield looks into this and corrects this in the V3.

I also checked out a riding jacket from a brand called SPRS. It was definitely better than the Royal Enfield jackets but personally, I liked the fit of the DSG Evo 2 Air jacket a bit better.

Anyways, Im getting tired of jacket hunting. Fortunately, a big consignment of Revit jackets is on its way to Cochin. If I get one that fits, that will be the end of my jacket hunting. If I dont, Ill go with the DSG Evo 2.

To add to my collection of gloves, I got myself another full gauntlet pair recently. Im trying to get at least 200 kms on them before posting some pictures and an initial review.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 1st July 2021 at 21:58. Reason: Commas
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 01:01   #3709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
6KIOM has some new stock of ... gear, you can check out their Atom mesh jacket
Comes with D3O armours,..
Quote:
Thanks man, I didnt realize that Furygan jackets have come back. Let me keep an eye out for them here in Cochin. Ive seen them earlier and tried them out. Definitely good quality gear...
Great, so Furygan is good. Any feedback on RS Taichi as well? Ideally a rough comparison with Rynox / Furygan / RS Taichi will be nice since by & large these all fall in the same price band. Viarerra is another, but then they have only one model in Jacket.

I currently have an Aspida jacket & solace riding pants (2018 purchase) and don't mind upgrading. The pants is definitely uncomfortable with the knee protector scraping and leaving cuts on my skin.

I prefer a jacket which doesn't keep pulling up from my back while riding, so something which is a little longer would help - guess all touring jackets will have such a fit?

Also, offlate, I have developed an interest towards D30 after watching a short video on it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 05:27   #3710
Distinguished - BHPian

RS taichi better than furygan better than Rynox.
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 07:59   #3711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Great, so Furygan is good. Any feedback on RS Taichi as well? Ideally a rough comparison with Rynox / Furygan / RS Taichi will be nice since by & large these all fall in the same price band. Viarerra is another, but then they have only one model in Jacket.

I currently have an Aspida jacket & solace riding pants (2018 purchase) and don't mind upgrading. The pants is definitely uncomfortable with the knee protector scraping and leaving cuts on my skin.

I prefer a jacket which doesn't keep pulling up from my back while riding, so something which is a little longer would help - guess all touring jackets will have such a fit?
I dont recall having tried on any RS Taichi gear but I hear that they are good. Ive tried on Furygan jackets and found them to be good. Between the brands you mentioned, RS Taichi <=> Furygan >>> Rynox.

You are right, usually the touring jackets are longer than the mesh ones. But touring jackets will have you sacrifice some of the air flow for the textile build. So if you need mesh, (in Madras, you probably do), then stick to mesh jackets only.

That said, all mesh jackets dont have the same pulling up at the back experience, that you have with your current jacket. My older A* mesh jacket never had that problem. My Rynox Air GT3 does have the same issue, to a degree. With the right jacket for your build, you wont encounter the issue for sure.

What budget are you looking at for your jacket upgrade?
Old 4th July 2021, 09:39   #3712
PVS
BHPian

This is a very good thread for all information regarding riding gear.. I am a born again biker, returning to active biking after nearly 11 years. My earlier ride was a commuter (HH Passion Plus in 2008, now, its a pre-owned Bullet 500). Since I intend to travel long distances on the bullet (two long distance trips - Hyderabad Pune and back & Hyderabad Alampuram(Near Kurnool) and back already completed), adequate safety gear is a must. So far, I have picked up a majority of riding gear, thanks to quite a few useful tips from this thread. The riding gear details are as below:

Riding Jacket -

RYNOX Stealth EVO Black - Rs 12370

Riding Pants

RYNOX Storm Riding Pants - Cost Rs 7550
These were purchased at Dynamix RYDERZ biking store and cafe at Banjara Hils, Hyderabad

Helmets

1) MT Helmet Thunder3 SV Torn Gloss - Rs 6000 - This I picked up from Spartan ProGear Stores at Somajiguda, Hyderabad
2) Royal Enfield Old Madras Full Face - (This one is primarily for local rides) - Rs 2950 - ordered online at The Royal Enfield Store

Riding Boots

ZEUS Adventure Low Boot Black - Purchased this at the ZEUS Motorcyle Gear shop at Madhapur Hyderabad - Rs 11500

Gloves -

Probiker Leather Motorcycle Gloves - This again is for intracity and short rides. I need to pick up another set of gloves for long distance rides. Cost Rs 400, purchased at Amazon.in

Elbow and Knee Guards

AllXtreme EXPBKG4 2nd Gen - This again if for short rides, though I could also strap these on for additional safety on long rides as well - cost Rs 1045, ordered online from amazon.in

A consolidated pic of all the gear, and another of my ride, the Bullet 500 are attached . I picked up the preowned Bullet 500, 2014 model from a friend. The bike had a relatively less mileage of around 19600 Kms when i picked it up
The Riding Gear thread-20210703_155604.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20210704_084049.jpg
PVS is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:36   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Between the brands you mentioned, RS Taichi <=> Furygan >>> Rynox.

What budget are you looking at for your jacket upgrade?
I'll retain the Aspida jacket for short runs in Chennai and yes, it's a mesh.

The budget is always tricky . I want good VFM gear - something that'll last me 5-7 years and allow touring inter state.

I was looking at Rynox but can extend the budget to about 20-25K on a crazy day I guess
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:47   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
I want good VFM gear - something that'll last me 5-7 years and allow touring inter state.
TBH, Indian branded gear and their armor won't last you many years and the quality is subjective too as the armor especially starts cracking up over the years. Look at something which has D3O armor, they're light and hold up very well.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 12:42   #3715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll retain the Aspida jacket for short runs in Chennai and yes, it's a mesh.

The budget is always tricky . I want good VFM gear - something that'll last me 5-7 years and allow touring inter state.

I was looking at Rynox but can extend the budget to about 20-25K on a crazy day I guess
To me, the best touring jacket below Rs 20,000 is easily the Royal Enfield Nirvik. I got myself the Royal Enfield Khardung La touring jacket in 2018, which is the spiritual predecessor to the Nirvik. I use it for all long distance riding and it is an excellent jacket. There were discussions on this thread earlier about Royal Enfield's partnership with Revit. Basically, you are getting Revit engineering and quality at Royal Enfield prices. The best of both worlds.

Tomorrow, if I need to get a replacement for my Khardung La touring jacket, I will go for the Nirvik. For what it offers, I wont even consider another option.

Here is a very useful review on the jacket.

neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 20:29   #3716
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am more worried about the impending BIS norms for boots. For importers, there is even less of a use case for getting the required approvals for these products. At least helmets will get sold. How many riders actually buy expensive (anything more than Rs 5K) riding boots in India? Again, if you are on the fence regarding riding boots, I will suggest that you pick up what you want in the next couple of quarters while stocks last.
Im quoting my post from around a month ago for context.

Finally there is some good news for motorcyclists. The government has deferred the implementation of BIS norms for footwear. This was supposed to come into effect from the 1st of July, 2021. This means that importers will have enough time to bring in sufficient boots to cater to the demand of the market.

Quote:
Acceding to the domestic footwear industry’s request, the Centre has postponed the implementation of quality control orders by a year to July 1, 2022. The order makes it compulsory for manufacturers, importers and traders to obtain Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) licence ‘standard mark’ for their products.
Quote:
For personal protective equipment footwear, the date is January 1, 2022.
Here is the link to the news article.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:16   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got myself the Royal Enfield Khardung La touring jacket in 2018, which is the spiritual predecessor to the Nirvik. I use it for all long distance riding and it is an excellent jacket.
How is this jacket in City conditions or till the time one reaches highways? Are mesh areas enough to drive away sweat?

Quote:
Tomorrow, if I need to get a replacement for my Khardung La touring jacket, I will go for the Nirvik.
Agree, D3O armour all around at that price point makes it an easier decision. Except chest armour (not necessary as one doesn't fall flat on chest) all are level 2 in Nirvik jacket.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:44   #3718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
How is this jacket in City conditions or till the time one reaches highways? Are mesh areas enough to drive away sweat?
In city conditions, if you are moving continuously (Sunday mornings, for example), you wont have an issue at all. I keep all the mesh areas open, to let in as much air as possible. As long as you are not stuck in peak traffic, these jackets are perfectly fine. Once you are on the highways, they do a brilliant job and are at their best.
Old 6th July 2021, 18:38   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used the ridding boots from - Custom Elements ?

I am interested in these half boots ? - By a company called Tarmac Riding Gear

The Riding Gear thread-capture.jpg

Would be good to get some feedback

https://www.customelements.in/produc...-riding-boots/

My current Alpinestar SMX2 is in its last leg - will need to replace them

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 6th July 2021 at 18:42.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 20:06   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

I am interested in these half boots ? - By a company called Tarmac Riding Gear

Attachment 2175704

Would be good to get some feedback

https://www.customelements.in/produc...-riding-boots/

My current Alpinestar SMX2 is in its last leg - will need to replace them

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram
I used to use Tarmac Touring boots for quite some time and recently, bought Tarmac adventure pro brown boots (high version). Though haven't got the time to test it extensively; used it for a 'breaking-in' ride of about 300kms and found them to be pretty good for my riding style. I'm giving my thoughts on the high version, but I'm presuming that the same would apply for your low version as well.

Initial impressions - Pretty good value for money. The material and stitching is pretty solid. Design wise they are 'inspired' by the Forma series of ADV boots Look much better in reality than in the pictures uploaded by these stores especially the brown one (real life has a more dark brown, coffee bean color). Light weight too.

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20210629-17.47.08.jpeg

The Riding Gear thread-whatsapp-image-20210629-17.47.10.jpeg

Protection - pretty solid in the toe and heel area. The ankle have a small protrusion for added protection (it is not clear in the photographs). The high version has an extra TPU protector at the shin. Overall, it's not as protective as an MX boot or so - but will get the job done for the price one is paying. The leather might need some breaking-in because it's pretty stiff out of the box and movement might be a bit 'robotic'. The buckles are also decent quality - don't seem flimsy, length extenders are smooth and do the job well.

Considering you're looking at the shorter version, you might not find it as intimidating in appearance and as cumbersome to wear the first few times as the high boots.

Tarmac as a brand make some good riding gear (jackets, pants, boots) and for the price, they are pretty much under-rated. Maybe another ride or two and I'll post more 'on ground' pictures! Hope this helps!

PS: My other options were Forma ADV brown high boots but they are pretty much out of stock. The other was FALCO ADV boots - but lack of reviews made me think twice. Almost bit the bullet with the Gaerne Aquatech but they went out of stock at LABS. Decided to go for Tarmac since it's tried and tested by me

Last edited by TheVaas : 6th July 2021 at 20:11.
TheVaas is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks