Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 11:43   #10921
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
.... I was stuck between cars and bikes and on the right side lane, wanting to go straight. Left lane for the free left. Majority of the people turning right, and I was going straight. I did face ire of some stupid two wheelers who turned right after overtaking from the left!
The right course of action there, depending on which lane is intended to be used to go straight (it could be left lane for turn only, right for straight and turning right, or vice versa), was to do nothing (if you were in the correct lane), or indicate a lane change and move over when possible. Indicating a hazard solves no purpose in the situation, because nobody around you has any consistent idea what you mean.

The same idiots honking at you would egg you on to jump signals or other assorted nonsense. Idiots being idiots is no reason to start driving like one ourselves.

Quote:
Absolutely. Hazard lights are not intended to use on highways in any other condition except to indicate YOU are the hazard! I was talking, rather discussing about its potiential use in B2B traffic.
Hazard lights are not meant to be repurposed, period.

A good chunk of our urban gridlock is created by people indicating their intent wrongly or not at all. Just because it isn't directly endangering someone around you at slow speeds is no reason to use indicators other than their intended purpose. You never know, an act you think inconsequential may cause a gridlock that boxes in an emergency services vehicle (ambulance or fire engine) that may actually cause someone grievous harm.

Most gridlocks and traffic incidents start with someone doing something that 'made sense' to them.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th November 2019 at 11:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:16   #10922
BHPian

These bikers were taking a U-turn when the opposite traffic has a green. What is even worse, is that there is no U-turn permitted at this place (Nandambakkam near the Buhari Hotel). However, one can see every kind of vehicle taking a U-turn here, many a time right under the noses of policemen. There was a truck to my left (not in pic) and they struggled to make the U-turn and stay close to median (risking themselves to my car than the truck).
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-biker3.jpg  

Old 12th November 2019, 10:16   #10923
Distinguished - BHPian

No idea what this senior gentleman was trying to do. The entire stretch was barricaded due to the flyover construction. And yet he decided to try this at the Kerala's busiest junction which is even more chaotic thanks to the flyover construction.

naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 10:52   #10924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
No idea what this senior gentleman was trying to do. The entire stretch was barricaded due to the flyover construction. And yet he decided to try this at the Kerala's busiest junction which is even more chaotic thanks to the flyover construction.
Simple Naveen Sir ! There could have been a gap "created" near by and was trying to go to the other side of the road or must have realized he has crossed his destination. Instead of going a long way forward to take a U turn, he was swimming against the wave of vehicles.
Old 12th November 2019, 19:37   #10925
BHPian

I'm not sure if this post belongs to this thread or Your near-miss experiences on the road thread. Mods can move it if they feel like it.
I wanted to share 2 incidents and lessons that I learned from them.

Incident-1
Recently, I drove to Coimbatore from Bangalore. This was my first visit to Coimbatore. I took the Chamarajanagar-Sathy route. I had stopped at Bannari temple just after the Dimbham ghats and started my last leg around 5pm. The road between Sathy and Annur is a smooth wide 2-lane road. I was doing steady 60-70kmph with minimal overtakes. In my IRVM, I spot a Splendor with 2 gents keeping up with me for a few minutes. I'm surprised that the puny 97cc Honda with two people is doing 70kmph. I find it amusing, when suddenly a dog appears out of nowhere into the carriageway. I spot it from a distance, so I slow down to 60kmph thinking that its survival instinct will make it scamper across the road. But to my shock, the dog is rooted to the road and I'm now on a collision course with it, so I honk long to get its attention. Still, the dog doesn't even turn its head to notice my car. There were 2-wheelers in the opposite carriageway, so instead of swerving into their lane, I thought it was best to come to a halt to save the dog. I panic braked and even let my engine stall to come to a halt quickly. I also quickly glanced my IRVM to see the fate of the tail-gating Splendor-Speedy-Gonzales who was by now panic braking and losing balance but somehow managed to not fall down.
The 2 gents on Splendor are fuming now thinking I braked for no reason in the middle of the road. I, meanwhile, am sweating profusely since I could not spot the doggy scampering away and I was not sure if I hit it or not. Add to it the commotion inside my car due to my wife and daughter howling in panic. I start to drive away slowly thinking about the fate of the canine, while the Splendor guys drive over near to my front-left window yelling expletives. I could have ignored them but I thought explaining the situation to them would make them understand and see my side of the story.
Them: Hey, you...&$#@.....
Me: Hey! I was trying to avoid running over the dog. It wasn't moving from my path.
Them: (mis-interpreting my words) How dare you call us 'Dei'? (loosely translates to 'Abbey' in Hindi). Do you know how to drive? @&$#@....
Me: What was I supposed to do? Run over the dog?
Them: Huh! (with a look implying, of course / obviously)

I then knew that nothing will make them see common sense. I rolled up my window and continued driving sedately at 60kmph since it was dusk and it was my first time on these roads. They continued following me at the same speed thereafter, making me worry that they will round me up in Annur town along with their friends. I deliberately slowed down to 40kmph, wanting to see their reaction. Thankfully, they overtook me just before Annur and I heaved a sigh of relief.

Lessons learned:
i. Some people just don't know tail-gating, braking-distance etc. If their puny 100cc bike can take them to 70/80 kmph they'd do it without thinking about the puny drum brakes and its braking power. Hopefully, they learn physics before its too late.

ii. Don't expect people to care about lives of other humans/animals on the road. They barely care about their own lives.

iii. Don't count on survival instincts of Dogs/stray animals on our roads. Perhaps, they have caught human traits by living among humans.

Incident-2
Couple of days ago, around 4pm, I approach a traffic junction near my home in Bangalore (driving my car). The signal is green for straight and left. I indicate my left turn with blinkers and slow down for the turn (roads are pathetic at this junction).
Mid-way during the turn, I see a 2-wheeler around the corner coming the wrong way and jumping his red. I come to a halt to let him maneuver past me on my left (there was only a small gap). I had half a mind to get down and tug the driver's ear.
Why? Because he was about 8 years old! And had a older kid (about 12-13) as pillion

Lesson learned:
i. In our country, a green signal doesn't always mean what the theory says. For the sake of self-preservation, it is better to treat every green-signal as blinking-amber

Last edited by ampere : 12th November 2019 at 19:59. Reason: 2 Smilies per post please
srvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 00:12   #10926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
...green signal doesn't always mean what the theory says...
Traffic signals are suggestions. Humble ones.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 14:08   #10927
BHPian

Caught a Gem yesterday morning while dropping my kid to school.
A guy was riding in front of me and not wearing a helmet. Suddenly on the last stretch of road to school, I see both his hands on sides and not on handle (on school road). I honked to point out his craziness. He probably did not understand why I was honking and waved me to simply pass ahead from side. As he raised his hand, I saw that a kid was standing in front and handling the scooter.

You can guess the age of the kid as he was standing in front foot board instead of riding pillion, without helmet. Can't say they have common sense on when to do what. I will try to upload the video if it is not already overwritten by dash cam.

While teaching you kid to balance a moving scooter so early might be seen as fine but on school main road with traffic around.

Last edited by vidyanand : 13th November 2019 at 14:10. Reason: Added info.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:21   #10928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
While teaching you kid to balance a moving scooter so early might be seen as fine but on school main road with traffic around.
The adult who had permitted the kid to "ride" should be booked with severe offences including potential manslaughter.
Old 13th November 2019, 17:22   #10929
KPR
BANNED

Wide body Logan !
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-funny-parking.jpg
KPR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 18:45   #10930
BHPian

Quote:
Caught a Gem yesterday morning while dropping my kid to school.
I viewed the footage and the kid is not standing as mentioned above but sitting in front but still all facts holds true as he is still young. Clipped the footage to just near the School Gate on this approach road.

Another driver in a rush adjusts in the gap without indicator. I gave a long honk to make him realize and saw him fold (sorry gesture, I guess) his hands in frustration, in his ORVM.

Last edited by vidyanand : 13th November 2019 at 19:04. Reason: Added another video link
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 23:14   #10931
BHPian

Sorry for back to back post but came across this footage from my old SD Card and could not hold myself from posting it.

Lady crossing road in evening traffic while on phone. Having a child in hand is also not enough for her to look at oncoming traffic before crossing, let alone dropping the phone call.
vidyanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 03:54   #10932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lady crossing road in evening traffic while on phone. Having a child in hand is also not enough for her to look at oncoming traffic before crossing, let alone dropping the phone call.
Yep, Bad pedestrianing is every bit as bad and dangerous as bad driving.

I didn't turn the sound on, so I don't know about you, but if it had me, that lady's call would have been interrupted by a loud blast of my horn. Maybe you are a nicer guy!
Old 14th November 2019, 07:29   #10933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I viewed the footage and the kid is not standing as mentioned above but sitting in front but still all facts holds true as he is still young
The road itself is not the best and even a slight wobble could cause a fall! You can also clearly see that the child is not very steady especially towards the curve. If there was a fall, quite likely that the bystanders would have blamed the closest big vehicle!
Maybe this dads inspiration was this incident(from Brazil)

Quote:
Another driver in a rush adjusts in the gap without indicator. I gave a long honk to make him realize and saw him fold (sorry gesture, I guess) his hands in frustration, in his ORVM.
They say Indians don't indicate as driving in India is akin to a war! If the other drivers know the intention, they lose the element of surprise!!
at both incidents!!
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 13:44   #10934
Team-BHP Support

Spent a few minutes in traffic yesterday crawling next to a lady driving a Redi-go one handed, because the other hand was busy holding a phone.

You'd think that was bad enough driving as it is, but no, stopping alongside made me realize she was watching videos all the while!

I made haste to put some distance between me and Supergirl.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th November 2019 at 13:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 14:29   #10935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

You'd think that was bad enough driving as it is, but no, stopping alongside made me realize she was watching videos all the while!

I made haste to put some distance between me and Supergirl.
Probably she was watching her car's dashcam live stream on her phone
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks