Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 14:23   #121
BHPian

re: Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Hi Vikas,

I did Gurgaon - (Jaipur - Nasirabad - Beawar) - Jodhpur - Jaisa
============= traffic has died down enough but holiday traffic hasn't yet picked up.
Thanks spadix. I was bit worried about Delhi-Jaipur stretch. Good to know that the surface isn't bad and as long as there are no jams i don't mind. Hopefully there wont be too much of holiday traffic in mid December as well. Peak holiday season begins around 22-23rd dec.

Quote:
You do not need to enter Jaipur town to get on to the bypass. The bypass starts *much* earlier, from a place called Chandwaji. You'll see the road fork into two here.
===========
Have a nice trip!
I was considering a direct drive to Udaipur but then i think it gets little difficult with kids so decided to take a day's halt at Jaipur while going & returning back. My daughter loves Chokhi Dhani resort so we will visit that as well.

Sure i will lookout for the turn towards Nasirabad while crossing Kishangarh. Thanks again,

Vikas
Old 20th November 2012, 16:31   #122
BHPian

Hello Vikas

I'm from Jaipur and live in NCR and have done this stretch (del-jai) countless times and the road further south few times. Few points you may want to keep in mind when doing this route:

1. Ideal time to cross gurgaon and more importantly the bottleneck at manesar is before 6 am. Also try to cross Bilaspur as early as you can (it's a trouble spot). We have, for several years referred to Shahpura as 'truckpura' due to either side of the road being occupied by trucks waiting for repairs (it's become a hub for that). This is another troublespot though with widening things have improved.

2. Before the Ajmer byepass before Shahpura, you'll see hillocks on the right side and a hotel called 'Highway king' opposite that, it's a good place for food.

3. The flyover on Behror has opened but there're still others under construction (only one half was open - but Spadix has gone more recently).

4. If you're dead set on visiting Chokhi Dhani, try to keep it for the return? If you still want to go there on the way to Udaipur, do not enter the city at all. Instead get onto the Agra road byepass / Jhalana dungri byepass (an interchange on transport nagar circle will lead you straight onto this main road). Then take a right on the road that will take you to Jawahar circle (near airport). Take a left on Tonk road and go straight. Check this using google maps once (I just checked and it shows correct route for start point Gurgaon and end point Chokhi Dhani). There's a cheaper resort called 'pride amber vilas' before Chokhi dhani that you can look at (I havent been there but a colleague did and he liked it).

5. Jaipur-Kishangarh is the widest stretch but post the turn to nasirabad is the best road due to low traffic density. It's very well marked (you'll see a road going underneath a large flyover and a sign for ajmer and another for nasirabad). Take the one for Nasirabad.

hope this helps
Vaibhav
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 16:50   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikas Arora View Post
Thanks spadix. I was bit worried about Delhi-Jaipur stretch. Good to know that the surface isn't bad and as long as there are no jams i don't mind. Hopefully there wont be too much of holiday traffic in mid December as well. Peak holiday season begins around 22-23rd dec.
It's the rub of the luck on this stretch. On four trips (one-way) up and down this stretch only this last one was horrible - the one on 10th morning when it took me 3 hrs crossing Dharuhera. Otherwise it's always been 3.5 - 4 hrs to get into Jaipur or cross the bypass and reach the other side.

I've heard of some people spending 7-8 hrs routinely from Jaipur to Delhi, and there was one anecdote that mentioned 13 hrs too!

Quote:
I was considering a direct drive to Udaipur but then i think it gets little difficult with kids so decided to take a day's halt at Jaipur while going & returning back. My daughter loves Chokhi Dhani resort so we will visit that as well.

Sure i will lookout for the turn towards Nasirabad while crossing Kishangarh
Cool.

In that case, better to bypass the bypass and take the city route itself to enter GVK Eway. Get in touch with T-BHPian Deky who runs Starboard Guesthouse near Jawahar Circle (very close to Choki Dhani) and he can probably guide you as to the best route and time out of the city.

Just nitpicking, but you don't actually *cross* Kishangarh. The interchange and turn to Nasirabad/Chittorgarh comes before the town on the Jaipur-K'garh GVK Eway.

Couple of things to note -

You only need to pay toll once on the GVK Eway. Show the receipt you get at the Jaipur tollgate to the operator at the K'garh tollgate. These days tollbooth operators have become smart and if you aren't careful, will bill you twice!

The other thing is that there's a neat little Midway hotel on Bhilwara bypass. Would be a good place to stop for lunch. They take time to serve grub but it's mostly neat and not too crowded.

Carry cash with you. Petrol bunks aren't scarce but they don't accept CCs and ATMs are few and far in-between in Rajasthan.

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st November 2012, 09:25   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post
Hello Vikas

I'm from Jaipur and live in NCR and have done this stretch (del-jai) countless times and the road further south few times. Few points you may want to keep in mind when doing this route:

1. Ideal time to cross gurgaon and more importantly the bottleneck at manesar is before 6 am. Also try to cross Bilaspur as early as you can (it's a trouble spot). We have, for several years referred to Shahpura as 'truckpura' due to either side of the road being occupied by trucks waiting for repairs (it's become a hub for that). This is another troublespot though with widening things have improved.

2. Before the Ajmer byepass before Shahpura, you'll see hillocks on the right side and a hotel called 'Highway king' opposite that, it's a good place for food.
I have been to Jaipur 3-4 times in last 6 years and every time i have left early in the morning (before 6am). Last i went was about 2 years back and road widening was in progress (no flyover was open that time). Hopefully things have improved now and as long as surface is good without jams i don't mind

This place, Highway king, does it also have a Cafe Coffee Day & a BP fuel station next to it? If yes then i'm familiar with this place.

Quote:
It's the rub of the luck on this stretch. On four trips (one-way) up and down this stretch only this last one was horrible - the one on 10th morning when it took me 3 hrs crossing Dharuhera. Otherwise it's always been 3.5 - 4 hrs to get into Jaipur or cross the bypass and reach the other side.

I've heard of some people spending 7-8 hrs routinely from Jaipur to Delhi, and there was one anecdote that mentioned 13 hrs too!

In that case, better to bypass the bypass and take the city route itself to enter GVK Eway. Get in touch with T-BHPian Deky who runs Starboard Guesthouse near Jawahar Circle (very close to Choki Dhani) and he can probably guide you as to the best route and time out of the city.

Couple of things to note -

You only need to pay toll once on the GVK Eway. Show the receipt you get at the Jaipur tollgate to the operator at the K'garh tollgate. These days tollbooth operators have become smart and if you aren't careful, will bill you twice!

The other thing is that there's a neat little Midway hotel on Bhilwara bypass. Would be a good place to stop for lunch. They take time to serve grub but it's mostly neat and not too crowded.
Even i have heard horror stories about jams on this stretch. I believe most of these jams happened during the monsoon time.
Thanks for mentioning the GVK toll related thing, i never check the toll receipts and i am sure without knowing this i would have paid the toll twice.
Its always good to know about decent places to take a stop on the highways. I will definitely look out for this place.

Thanks guys for all the inputs
Old 21st November 2012, 11:28   #125
BHPian

Quote:
This place, Highway king, does it also have a Cafe Coffee Day & a BP fuel station next to it? If yes then i'm familiar with this place.
It is the same place. Good luck!
vaibhav_a_a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:14   #126
BHPian

Hello Vikas,

I did the Delhi > Jaipur > Ajmer > Udaipur > Ahmedabad > Surat > Mumbai > Pune stretch last weekend and the Delhi > Jaipur roads are decent. Lots of diversions which slow you down, so watch out for vehicles ahead slowing down abruptly. +1 for GVK toll stretch tip by spadix - I nearly paid twice.
spiritofmars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:13   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars
Hello Vikas,

I did the Delhi > Jaipur > Ajmer > Udaipur > Ahmedabad > Surat > Mumbai > Pune stretch last weekend and the Delhi > Jaipur roads are decent. Lots of diversions which slow you down, so watch out for vehicles ahead slowing down abruptly. +1 for GVK toll stretch tip by spadix - I nearly paid twice.
Did you have to pay twice on the MGEW and MPEW also? When I drove down this route (more or less) last year, I told the tollbooth operator on the SPRR (Sardar Patel Ring Road, Ahmedabad) that he shouldn't collect further toll. However, he said MGEW and SPRR tolls are different and gouged me out of INR 19. I learnt later that he had indeed cheated. MPEW is another place I got cheated on that drive. INR 99 then! :(

Sorry for going off-topic.

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th November 2012, 11:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

We (me and wife) are planning a Christmas weekend trip to Jaipur from Noida (NCR).

Our rough plan is to leave from Noida on December 22nd (Saturday), preferably in morning (7-8 AM).

The return from Jaipur is planned on the Christmas day (25th December), leaving from Jaipur early morning.

We have not yet decided which of our car to do this journey on - the WagonR (2012) or the Spark (2012).

Would appreciate member's input on following:

1) What is the suggested route for Noida-Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur trip?
2) Any suggestions on roads/times to avoid Jams?
3) Are the roads (NH 8?) good and wide and offer scope for high speed driving (80-100kmph ?) In that case we might consider going in the Spark, which feels more planted and stable compared to the WR at high speeds.
4) What are the suggested eatories / Dhabas along the way ?
5) What is the approximate time of journey we can expect. Theorotically, a 270 odd km should not take more than 4 hours, right?
6) Any other points to take care of?

Waiting for suggestions. :-)
Old 25th November 2012, 12:19   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hi guys,

We (me and wife) are planning a Christmas weekend trip to Jaipur from Noida (NCR).
Quote:
1) What is the suggested route for Noida-Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur trip?
Take the usual NH 8 from gurgaon all the way to Jaipur.
Quote:
2) Any suggestions on roads/times to avoid Jams?
3) Are the roads (NH 8?) good and wide and offer scope for high speed driving (80-100kmph ?) In that case we might consider going in the Spark, which feels more planted and stable compared to the WR at high speeds.
NH8 is full of traffic and right now under process of road widening. So you will encounter a lot of diversions. But don't get too alarmed about it. The diversions are well laid out and you won't encounter bad roads. But you would not be able to cross 100. Speeds of 80-100 are easily manageable.
Regarding traffic the route does have a lot of it since it connects Delhi to Bombay and beyond. Also be on the look out for tractors coming from the wrong way ( there are plenty of them). Also try and enter Delhi on your return journey around 4-5 pm. After 6 pm it becomes a nightmare right from Manesar onwards and will take you close to 1-2 hours of nightmarish driving to cross those last 40-50 kms.

Both Spark and WagonR will easily be able to make the trip. Feel free to choose either.

Quote:
4) What are the suggested eatories / Dhabas along the way ?
Not many good options. I would advise you to stop at Hotel Highway King. There is also another CCD outlet in case you wish to take a break before.

Quote:
5) What is the approximate time of journey we can expect. Theorotically, a 270 odd km should not take more than 4 hours, right?
4-5 hours is the approximate time you will take.

Have a nice trip.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:13   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to pay twice on the MGEW and MPEW also? When I drove down this route (more or less) last year, I told the tollbooth operator on the SPRR (Sardar Patel Ring Road, Ahmedabad) that he shouldn't collect further toll. However, he said MGEW and SPRR tolls are different and gouged me out of INR 19. I learnt later that he had indeed cheated. MPEW is another place I got cheated on that drive. INR 99 then! :(

Sorry for going off-topic.

Regards,
spadix

That makes two of us. What I do is I retain the last toll receipt and hand it over at the next toll I come to.. hoping that I am allowed to pass through in case the same toll covers both. But it didnt work for SPRR either. These tolls are a total rip-off - I paid nearly 1200 bucks on driving down to Pune from Del ! Apparently, these infra firms prepare a survey showing the estimated traffic to be 50-60% of actual and happily get rights to collect toll for 10 years based on biased figures. Talk of ripping off the public!

@ Vikas - You might want to try going the beawar route from ajmer to udaipur, rather than chittorgarh. The road is phenomenal - perfect if you are in the mood to rev the car a bit. Plus, there's very little heavy traffic on this route. Let me know if u need more details
Old 26th November 2012, 11:07   #131
BHPian

@ DCEite - 7-8 am is a bit late, I think.. You should try leaving earlier as you will encounter plenty of traffic, as you are travelling in peak holiday season. Personally, I try to leave as early as possible (5 am or so) to get past the manesar stretch - it's really a pain to drive there in traffic.

80-100 is pretty much all that you can manage on this stretch, because by the time you get past 100, you will have to slow down for a diversion. Both the spark and wagon R should be fine, just pick the one that you find more comfortable

The only other thing I can think of is try to keep 5-6 hrs for the drive back from Jaipur to delhi, as the road while coming back is in worse shape than the road towards Jaipur. It being christmas day, anticipate heavy traffic.
Old 26th November 2012, 11:58   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofmars View Post
@ Vikas - You might want to try going the beawar route from ajmer to udaipur, rather than chittorgarh. The road is phenomenal - perfect if you are in the mood to rev the car a bit. Plus, there's very little heavy traffic on this route. Let me know if u need more details
You mean NH-8? In fact most of the people have recommended not to go via NH8 due to high volume of traffic or have i misunderstood the route that you are suggesting.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:39   #133
BHPian

Quote:
You mean NH-8? In fact most of the people have recommended not to go via NH8 due to high volume of traffic or have i misunderstood the route that you are suggesting.

I have pasted the route I took this week - once while travelling to Pune last weekend, and while travelling back to Delhi this weekend. Both times, I passed through in the morning and found the route quite good. There are a few villages where you slow down, but the traffic mostly consisted of a few trucks carrying marble and some rickshaws. The toll road is awesome, and I do mean awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries-20121125-09.10.29.jpg  

Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries-20121125-09.10.36.jpg  

Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur : Route Queries-20121125-09.10.42.jpg  

spiritofmars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 15:31   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, nh 8 it is. After the turnoff towards ajmer, continue towards beawar. You will pass rajsamand, nathdwara and then finally udaipur. I tried to paste the google map route link but it doesnt seem to be working properly.. My bad. Will try again later
Old 21st December 2012, 09:54   #135
BHPian

Did Gurgaon-Jaipur-Nasirabad-Udaipur and return this week. Excellent roads with lean traffic but watch out for the following:

1. Faulty road construction (too much tar) & overloaded trucks have created groove marks with humps on the road at several places. These humps are quite high at several places and may scrape the underbelly of cars with low GC. While going to Udaipur bhilwara bypass is the worst stretch due to these humps. While returning (Udaipur-Jaipur) roads around Ajmer bypass/kishangarh have lot of these humps and real bad ones!

2. Wrong side driving is like a custom in this region :-)

3. Around chittorgarh, where concrete road begins, there are troughs on the roads. Watch out for them since they can be unsettling at high speeds.

Also, there are no facilities on this stretch for taking breaks. Only one reliance dhabha is operational just after bhilwara and rest of the dhabha's are primarily targeted for truckers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks