Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:14   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thread on Accommodation & Rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjish View Post
I have a small baby (1.5 yr old) and hence want to avoid day time travel as much as possible.
Agra-Amritsar is 12-15 hour journey depending on the train you catch. There are 2 options namely Golden Temple Mail (from Bharatpur at 1500 reaching ASR at 0530) and Chattisgarh Express (at 1630 from AGC reaching ASR at 0810). I feel neither will give you enough time to freshen up, finish Harmandir Sahib, Jalianwalabagh and reach Atari in time to get a seat

Besides you'll endure a day journey doing MAS-AGC whether it is TN Exp/Rajdhani.

IMO you should plan out the trains first and then look for accomodation. I made a cursory look, TN for 12-Oct is filling up fast, Garib Rath for your date has already gone into waitlist. Rajdhani for 12th is still decently available.

Having a 8 and 3 year old in tow on train and road trips, I feel your kid will sleep off during the train journey and the day train journey might not be a bother.

Last edited by narayans80 : 3rd July 2018 at 15:16.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:45   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Besides you'll endure a day journey doing MAS-AGC whether it is TN Exp/Rajdhani.
Just fly Chennai - Delhi and that gives you much more time in hand for this sight seeing. Why arrive tired and dirty after a long train journey, check into a hotel and freshen up etc before travelling on?
Old 4th July 2018, 11:16   #2058

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Agra-Amritsar is 12-15 hour journey depending on the train you catch. There are 2 options namely Golden Temple Mail (from Bharatpur at 1500 reaching ASR at 0530) and Chattisgarh Express (at 1630 from AGC reaching ASR at 0810). I feel neither will give you enough time to freshen up, finish Harmandir Sahib, Jalianwalabagh and reach Atari in time to get a seat
Thanks Narayan sir. We have booked the Garibrath train from Chennai on 13th, reaching Agra on 14th morning. Since I am taking leave entire next week, taking additional leave on Friday is difficult and hence opted for this. Still checking how to manage the travel to and from Amritsar or if we should completely skip Amritsar and spend more time in New Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just fly Chennai - Delhi and that gives you much more time in hand for this sight seeing. Why arrive tired and dirty after a long train journey, check into a hotel and freshen up etc before travelling on?
Hi hserus, flights to Delhi from Chennai were very costly and some of them were taking more than 6 hrs with 1 stop in between and hence decided to take train.

Last edited by ampere : 4th July 2018 at 11:44. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 4th July 2018, 17:21   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Narayan sir. We have booked the Garibrath train from Chennai on 13th, reaching Agra on 14th morning. Since I am taking leave entire next week, taking additional leave on Friday is difficult and hence opted for this. Still checking how to manage the travel to and from Amritsar or if we should completely skip Amritsar and spend more time in New Delhi.

Hi hserus, flights to Delhi from Chennai were very costly and some of them were taking more than 6 hrs with 1 stop in between and hence decided to take train.
You can skip Delhi if you want and go on to Amritsar, Jaipur etc. Stick to one or two destinations and don't try to crowd too much into your itinerary. Especially when travelling with small children.

Even a 6 hour one stop flight is going to be better than an almost 24 hour train ride from Chennai.
Old 4th July 2018, 18:53   #2060
Senior - BHPian

We need to visit IIT Kharagpur for a 1 day workshop for my son during August. Since accommodation options are very limited in Kharagpur and we will get half day to spare for sightseeing on both Friday and Sunday, we are planning to stay in Kolkatta.

I am an alien to Kolkatta and is looking for your suggestions to find a suitable accommodation

1. We need to reach Kharagpur by 8.30 am on Saturday, plan is to take a cab (or train) from Kolkotta on Saturday morning and come back same day night.

2. Would like to visit few landmarks including Belur Math in Kolkatta.

3. My budget is in the range of 10 K for 3 people for 2 nights, can be flexed for good options

4. We are foodies and would like to explore good food and fish while there.

5. We have to depend on Cabs for all our commutes.

6. We are flying there, so it is better to have something not very far from airport (not more than 1 to 1.5 hours of commute)

Considering above, could please make suggest good places for accommodation.
Old 4th July 2018, 19:08   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
We need to visit IIT Kharagpur for a 1 day workshop for my son during August. Since accommodation options are very limited in Kharagpur and we will get half day to spare for sightseeing on both Friday and Sunday, we are planning to stay in Kolkatta.
Kharagpur / the IIT are a good 2 hours away from Calcutta (130 km ++) and best reached by train. As it is a one day workshop, you are best advised to stay in a hotel in Kharagpur itself.

https://www.makemytrip.com/hotels/ho...kharagpur.html seems to be the only decent hotel there, unless you can convince the IIT authorities to provide hostel accommodation for workshop attendees.

I would level set expectations on sightseeing in Calcutta - most of your half day would be spent on trains to / from Kharagpur.

As for good fish, you can get that anywhere at all in West Bengal so ask locals for their recommendations.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 09:02   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still checking how to manage the travel to and from Amritsar or if we should completely skip Amritsar and spend more time in New Delhi.
One idea I can think of is to explore HP with Chandigarh as a base. Trains take 5-6 hrs from AGC to CDG and you get umpteen options to get back to Delhi as well, which is 3-4 hrs away. Chandigarh has tons of self drive options to choose from, or you can rent a 7 seater taxi and explore.

Other option would be to explore RJ with Jaipur as a base. Jaipur is 4-5 hrs train and another 5 hrs for getting back to Delhi.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:55   #2063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Kharagpur / the IIT are a good 2 hours away from Calcutta (130 km ++) and best reached by train. As it is a one day workshop, you are best advised to stay in a hotel in Kharagpur itself.

https://www.makemytrip.com/hotels/ho...kharagpur.html seems to be the only decent hotel there, unless you can convince the IIT authorities to provide hostel accommodation for workshop attendees.

I would level set expectations on sightseeing in Calcutta - most of your half day would be spent on trains to / from Kharagpur.

As for good fish, you can get that anywhere at all in West Bengal so ask locals for their recommendations.
Thanks for the inputs.

We have checked with the IIT guesthouse, they have stopped extending the facility for this particular program from this time.

I am fine to hire a car to commute between Kolkatta and Kharagpur, but even that might be around 3 hours of drive in one direction.

I am in a dilemma at the moment and need to make a decision soon since most of the stay options in Kharagpur are showing no availability on the online portals
Old 5th July 2018, 15:03   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I am in a dilemma at the moment and need to make a decision soon since most of the stay options in Kharagpur are showing no availability on the online portals
Call them and check. Many places in smaller towns won't release 100% of their inventory to portals and prefer direct sales to walkins, as they don't have to pay commission to the portal in such a case.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 09:48   #2065
BANNED

An acquaintance of mine wants to stay in Mumbai for maybe a month or two for some training. Paying 1500-2000 even for a run-down hotel for 2 months will be not be affordable. Also people don't give out on rent for such short duration. So what are other options?
Old 9th July 2018, 10:48   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
An acquaintance of mine wants to stay in Mumbai for maybe a month or two for some training. Paying 1500-2000 even for a run-down hotel for 2 months will be not be affordable. Also people don't give out on rent for such short duration. So what are other options?
Relatives or friends, what else?
Old 9th July 2018, 10:52   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Location?
There is a backpackers panda something
Link

+ some hostel type place in Bandra west
Link
Also search facebook for short term accomodations.
Lastly local real estate brokers.
Old 9th July 2018, 14:09   #2068
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Location?

Eastern suburbs - Ghatkopar/vikhroli etc.

Quote:
There is a backpackers panda something
Seems to be only in Colaba.
Quote:
Also search facebook for short term accomodations.
Lastly local real estate brokers.

Thank you.

Anyone has any experience with this site called PGmumbai.in - are they reliable?

Last edited by carboy : 9th July 2018 at 14:21.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:37   #2069
BHPian

I stayed at Zostel, Chikmagalur. Stayed in a dorm for Rs 500 per bed, ideal for riders. Not recommended for families with kids. They have a room for Rs 1500 as well. Clean toilets and hot water. Basic snacks and tea/coffee available at the cafe on the same campus. This hostel is 8km from town on the way to Agumbe, hardly 500m from The Serai, on the right side of the road.

Last edited by Romins : 9th July 2018 at 17:39. Reason: more info about location
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 12:46   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out Arma Hostel Qube Stays at Bandra.Dormitory type rooms but very clean and you would get them at about 400 to 500rs.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks