Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 15:44   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

Come all the way till Hebbal Flyover and take a right which is the Outer Ring Road. That will take you to Yeswanthpur and then join the NICE road from there and exit at Mysore Road.
Old 5th October 2020, 20:05   #527
BHPian

But I want to avoid Bangalore city traffic. Can I not take the Devanahalli to Nelamangala road and join the Mangalore road to reach Mysore? If so how are the roads?
Old 5th October 2020, 20:30   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller View Post
But I want to avoid Bangalore city traffic. Can I not take the Devanahalli to Nelamangala road and join the Mangalore road to reach Mysore? If so how are the roads?
I would not advice. Instead you can try a routing from Yelahanka-Doddaballapur road - interior roads - Neelamangala.

Its good option, but I dont remember the routing. I think Parag had reported. We can check with him.

Here is the post quoted for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
On Saturday, I went on a leisure drive towards roads connecting Yelahanka to Nelamagala and returned again via another Internal route only because I wanted to avoid the main roads in every case.
Depending on how 207 condition and Doddaballapur-Neelamangala condition, it may not be a bad option. But we need to know the latest updates on this section. Parag are you aware?

Last edited by ampere : 5th October 2020 at 20:35.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:28   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would not advice. Instead you can try a routing from Yelahanka-Doddaballapur road - interior roads - Neelamangala.

Its good option, but I dont remember the routing. I think Parag had reported. We can check with him.

Here is the post quoted for reference.

Depending on how 207 condition and Doddaballapur-Neelamangala condition, it may not be a bad option. But we need to know the latest updates on this section. Parag are you aware?
I will respond quoting you both together.

I took this route again 2 weeks before when returning from Kalasa, on a Sunday evening since we already spent quite some time at the last booth before turning right towards Bangalore.

Due to the recent news about the expansion of Nelamangala - Madhure road so it can then connect Doddaballapur road at Rajankunte, for Airport connectivity, the stretch from Nelamangala to Madure is currently undergoing massive work with a lot of tree felling.

Apart from this, the road is not in good shape too with large to very large sized potholes occasionally and I would as of today not recommend this if one has to take this all the way from Doddaballapura unless crossing Bangalore in peak evening hours.

However, there is another development ever since one of my neighbors' office shifted from Peenya to Nelamangala. He now takes an interior route to reach Nelamnagala industrial area from Yelahanka every day. This route helps you avoid a considerable section of this bad stretch of Nelamnagala - Doddaballapura although you will still have few Km (10-12) that you will need to drive on this stretch and cannot avoid it.

- The direct route from Devanahalli to Doddaballapur is good; will enter the industrial area of Doddaballapura, cross Doddaballapura Road and connect back with Doddaballapura - Nelamangala stretch. The catch here will be that you will need to drive on a considerable stretch of DB Pura - Nelamangala that as of today is undergoing expansion

- Second option is what ampere suggests along with a combination of perfectly clean roads via Hesarghatta. In this you will exit KIAL road near A2B, come to Rajankunte and then connect to DB Pura Nelamnagala road but Via Hesarghatta road.

Via Hesarghatta, Rajankunte : ROUTE LINK : 58.5 Km from Devanahalli Junction to Nelamagala Junction (Google Estimate - 94 Minutes)

Via Doddaballapura Industrial area: ROUTE LINK : 51.4 Km from Devanahalli Junction to Nelamagala Junction (Google Estimate - 80 Minutes)

As you notice, the one via Doddaballapura Industrial area is shorter by 7 Km compared to one via Hesarghatta. The advantage with this route is that it is straightforward to navigate compared to the slightly complicated Hesarghatta option that I hesitate to suggest due to too many turns one needs to be aware of to remain on the right road. The disadvantage is the condition of the stretch between DB Pura to Nelamangala that as of today is iffy from my own recent experience.

Now, here is something even more interesting and since I had posted the video of this stretch only last month, I casually checked the distance and time if one had to reach Hassan road from Hyderabad road.

Devanahalli Junction - Doddaballapura - Dabaspet - Shivagange - Gudemaranahalli (Much beyond Nelamangala towards Hassan): This is 78.8 Km and Google estimate says only 103 minutes. Advantage of this routes are:
- The most easy route to follow
- Road condition from Devanahalli to DB Pura remain Good to OK
- Road condition from DB Pura to Dabaspet is good (refer this video)
- Road condition from Dabaspet to Gudemaranahalli is again good
- You reach Hassan highway almost near Solur
- Avoid KIAL Toll and avoid Devihalli Toll
- Predictable traffic end to end, any time of the day
Route link : Devanahalli - DB Pura - Dabaspet - Gudermaranahalli

Take your pick! If I were new, I will stick to the last choice because roads are good and navigation is easiest of all and above all, progress will be consistent all throughout.

In fact, even the Nandi Cross (near Nandi Upachar) to DB Pura road is in excellent shape since I have taken this twice already. But then, Devahanalli DB Pura direct route isn't bad at all.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th October 2020 at 21:33.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:31   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Take your pick! If I were new, I will stick to the last choice because roads are good and navigation is easiest of all and above all, progress will be consistent all throughout.

In fact, even the Nandi Cross (near Nandi Upachar) to DB Pura road is in excellent shape since I have taken this twice already. But then, Devahanalli DB Pura direct route isn't bad at all.
I have been wanting to try to Shivagange-Guddemaranahalli for some time now just the heck of it. Will try some time!
Old 6th October 2020, 07:35   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been wanting to try to Shivagange-Guddemaranahalli for some time now just the heck of it. Will try some time!
In fact, the one that continues after Gudemaranahallli towards Magadi is also excellent now. It is also a good alternate for South Bangalore folks to take Magadi exit on NICE and reach Hassan road at Gudemaranahalli. The advantage of this over the earlier Magadi Kunigal route is that you never even have to enter Magadi town for this and it starts just on the outskirts of Magadi. So I suggest you do this stretch till Magadi. You will love it.

On that Saturday morning at an odd 7am departure, this saves quite a lot of time and helps you beat 3 tolls.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th October 2020 at 07:36.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 15:34   #532
Team-BHP Support

Looking at all the discussions: Devanhalli-Doddaballapur-Dobbaspet-Guddemaranahalli seems to be a very good option.

But folks please plan to cover this stretch during day-time. That would be helpful.
Old 6th October 2020, 16:29   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, the one that continues after Gudemaranahallli towards Magadi is also excellent now. It is also a good alternate for South Bangalore folks to take Magadi exit on NICE and reach Hassan road at Gudemaranahalli. So I suggest you do this stretch till Magadi. You will love it.

helps you beat 3 tolls.
Hi Parag -So, if I understood you correct , I can take Nice Road , exit at Magadi Road and find the road leading to Hassan? And this means I’ll avoid Nelamangala toll and one more that we get immediately after taking the left from a Nelamangala junction towards Mangalore ?
Old 6th October 2020, 17:15   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But folks please plan to cover this stretch during day-time. That would be helpful.
Absolutely! This makes sense only when driven during the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi Parag -So, if I understood you correct , I can take Nice Road , exit at Magadi Road and find the road leading to Hassan? And this means I’ll avoid Nelamangala toll and one more that we get immediately after taking the left from a Nelamangala junction towards Mangalore ?
You are right and this is the ROUTE that I am referring to.

It makes immense sense to take this especially if you are leaving on a late Saturday evening so you avoid the time spent at the tolls.

The time difference and peace of mind can be achieved only if taken during really peak hours/weekends. Otherwise the regular road still holds good.

At late evenings on Sunday, you may encounter misc traffic, especially between Magadi town outskirts and NICE Road entry.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th October 2020 at 17:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 08:44   #535
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Parag.

For me , this makes immense sense. I use the Kanakpura road NICE entry /exit and I always find the Nelamangala toll after the NICE exit at Tumkur Road to be a big pain. This can be a boon for me. I’ll try this sometime soon or maybe just do a drive just to explore this road.

Last edited by ampere : 7th October 2020 at 09:55. Reason: removed non-forum emojis
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:19   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
this makes immense sense
If you are driving to/from Hassan area, then this would be better. What parag shared would be best for those headed toards Tumkur road.
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 10:44   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you are driving to/from Hassan area, then this would be better. What parag shared would be best for those headed toards Tumkur road.
I meant the same too, but with slight change that instead of touching Hassan road Kunigal at in front of Indo Spanish Tasty foods unit, you touch at Gudemaranahalli.

Hence, I was comparing this route with the one that goes via Magadi town. The advantage of Gudemaranahalli route is that you need not enter Magadi town as you turn right just at the entrance of Magadi.

On Bypassing Bangalore-nice-kunigal.jpg

As you can see, the difference is negligible. 10 km extra over your route but adds just 5 minutes. The advantages are that you need not enter and exit Magadi and the Magadi Gudemaranahalli stretch is fresh, new and wide SH, plus you are on faster 4 lane at Gudemaranahalli itself where you start gaining good pace.

Overall, Devanahalli - Doddaballapura - Dabaspete - Shivagange - Gudemaranahalli - Magadi - Ramnagara can become a nice not too long and peaceful bypass between various major roads and avoid Bangalore from a good distance.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th October 2020 at 10:49.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:21   #538
BHPian

Did Hyderabad - Mysore last month. Took the turn at Nandi X to Doddaballapur. Lot of traffic and overtaking was difficult. Doddaballapura to Dabbaspet is a good road. Dabbaspet to the Mangalore NH is an excellent road. The Mangalore highway upto Bellur cross is also in excellent condition. Bellur X to Srirangapatnam has good roads but a couple of towns slow you down. A total of 210 km which took 3 hrs 45 minutes including a 30 minute break for lunch.
Someone on the forum had suggested Penugonda - Madakasiri - Mudhugiri - Dobbaspet - Gudemaranahalli - Mangalore NH.
Would like inputs on the route.
Thanks.
hydtraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:24   #539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did Hyderabad - Mysore last month. Took the turn at Nandi X to Doddaballapur. Lot of traffic and overtaking was difficult. Doddaballapura to Dabbaspet is a good road. Dabbaspet to the Mangalore NH is an excellent road. The Mangalore highway upto Bellur cross is also in excellent condition. Bellur X to Srirangapatnam has good roads but a couple of towns slow you down. A total of 210 km which took 3 hrs 45 minutes including a 30 minute break for lunch.
Yes I think this is a very good option for Hyd-Mysore. Also avoids the mess on the Mysore-Road.

Also the NH150 I see its not that bad. Yes towns will slow one down. But overall the road is great to drive.
Old 7th December 2020, 10:52   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, there is another development ever since one of my neighbors' office shifted from Peenya to Nelamangala. He now takes an interior route to reach Nelamnagala industrial area from Yelahanka every day. This route helps you avoid a considerable section of this bad stretch of Nelamnagala - Doddaballapura although you will still have few Km (10-12) that you will need to drive on this stretch and cannot avoid it.
Route Update: Yelahanka to Nelamangala via Hesarghatta.

I had to make a dash to Nelamangala last evening to meet someone and return. Knowing that it was a Sunday, the thought of venturing to a location that is an important entry point for the city itself scared me.

I have on earlier occasions tried a couple of options to reach Nelamangala via internal routes (Madhure, Hesarghatta, Makali etc) but this time, after a good interval chose to take the one that goes via Hesarghatta and I would like to summarize this in one word - EXCELLENT!!

The route is absolutely straightforward than I earlier thought may be because now we cycle to Hesarghatta lake every weekend but the main reason for me to call this excellent is due to the better roads now end to end, except last 4 Kms before reaching Nelamangala town.
  • It took me 45 minutes to reach Nelamangala from Yelahanka and same for my return too

• Traffic remained thin even when I was returning

• The distance is nearly same as you can notice in the screenshots below

• Road from the Turn off point at Doddaballapur road Yelahanka after CRPF Campus all the way till you hit the Nelamangala - Doddaballapur road at Gollahalli is in excellent shape, wide enough with shoulders allowing you to overtake slow moving vehicles easily

• The expansion work on road connecting Nelamangala to Doddaballapura via Madhure is in progress and that means there is tree felling, small diversions and of course bad roads (potholes) but this is only for the last 4 Km between Nelamangala town and Gollahalli. In these 4 Km, the share of bad section should be around 40%

• This route is totally signal free end to end with the only urban area to cross being Hesarghatta village itself which is not a time consumer anyway but you will see that in this section your speeds will drop for those 5 minutes and that's all
This update highlights the following:

If anyone is intending to bypass Bangalore to Hyderabad road, the usual Nelamangala - Doddaballapur road is not recommended due to roadwork and expansion. This means your choices are:
(a)Nelamanagala-Dabaspet-Doddaballapura-Devahanhalli

(b)Nelamangala-Gollahalli-Hesarghatta-Yelahanka CRPF-Rajankunte-MVIT Road-BIAL Road
Option (a) is to be considered if you are headed to Hyderabad and through this, you get to save time (and money) on the Airport/Devahanalli Toll booth too. This option also works for those coming from Tumkur side and wanting to reach Hyderabad road beyond Devahanalli.

Option (b) to be considered to reach Airport directly from Nelamangala side.

How the usual route via Yeshwantpur compares with the one that I took:

On Bypassing Bangalore-ynknelamangala.jpg

The time estimated by google is based on traffic conditions right now. But you can imagine the incoming traffic on a Sunday evening and the crawl at the NBTL booth.

Though the route via Hesarghatta looks twisty (In terms of numbers of turns and forks), its really straightforward because thats the only road which is wider and well done and you just need to stick to it.

Hence, for anyone staying in North Bangalore areas like Yelahanka, Jakkur, Sahakarnagar etc, the route via Hesarghatta to reach Nelamangala works best given its present state and is definitely a time saver.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th December 2020 at 10:56.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks