Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2018, 19:40   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Bypassing Bangalore

Today drove to Tumkur for my cousin's marriage, had decided well in advance to take an alternative route. While going to Tumkur, I took the Magadi-Surappanahalli-Marur-Kudur-Hulikal-Honnudike-Shettyhalli-Tumkur route, I started at 8:15 am and took 2 hours to cover 89 km's. It was a relaxing drive with hardly any traffic till I had to cross NH75. I met here some well sophisticated morons of Bangalore city, they had least respect for pedestrians and other vehicles waiting to cross the junction. For the return journey I took the Tumkur-Honnudike-Shivagange-Solur-Magadi route. The SH94 from Magadi to Tumkur is in good condition and can be a good option to avoid traffic jam on NH75 during weekend.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 11:26   #467
BHPian

How is this route now? -- Devanahalli - Hoskote- Chikkatirupathi - Bagalur- Hosur

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did you mean Hyderabad highway? I did drive that stretch last weekend and agree that before Devanahalli there is a stretch which is dug up for 4 Laning and it can be a pain if you get stuck behind trucks. Even worse at night as I ended up driving back from the Airport via the same route.
Any update on the road conditions in this route now? I will be taking this route from airport to get to Bagalur in the evening, around 6PM start from airport.
Old 15th May 2018, 12:27   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
I will be taking this route from airport to get to Bagalur in the evening, around 6PM start from airport.
You dont need to go via Devanahalli now that the alternate route to airport is open. You can use this route - https://goo.gl/maps/P6CRUrDb8nG2
Old 15th May 2018, 16:13   #469
BHPian

I am going to Salem, Palakkad. I was referring to the Bagalur, near Hosur. So the route from Airport to Hosur without entering the city or ring road or silk board is what i am looking for.
Old 19th May 2018, 18:00   #470
BHPian

Is it worth (in terms of travel time) bypassing the city on a sunday if travelling around noon time from Chikballapur to Shoolagiri?
Old 19th May 2018, 18:26   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Is it worth (in terms of travel time) bypassing the city on a sunday if travelling around noon time from Chikballapur to Shoolagiri?

Yes. Probably much quicker. Should get you to silk board elevated in an hour and then an hour from there. What was the alternate route you were planning?
Old 21st May 2018, 12:25   #472
BHPian

Route upadte: Bangalore Airport - Hoskote- Chikkatirupathi - Bagalur- Hosur:
The road from airport till chikka thirupathi is in very good shape. Around chikka thiruppathi, about 10km is in a bad shape. After that the road is good, but expect some deep potholes at few places. So drive carefully. Time to reach the Highway at Bagalur was about 2hrs.
Old 21st May 2018, 13:26   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[b]
The road from airport till chikka thirupathi is in very good shape. Around chikka thiruppathi, about 10km is in a bad shape. After that the road is good, but expect some deep potholes at few places. So drive carefully. Time to reach the Highway at Bagalur was about 2hrs.
Roads around Hoskote on the 207 were all dug up some time back. Looks like they have been fixed?
Old 21st May 2018, 15:32   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route upadte: Bangalore Airport - Hoskote- Chikkatirupathi - Bagalur- Hosur:

After Chikkatirupathi did you take the Alambadi - Baglur - Hosur route?

Road work was happening in the Hoskote town causing lots of traffic jams.
Is it complete.Planning to bypass Banglore this weekend on the way to Coimbatore.

Last time took the Devanahalli - Budigere- Kadugodi - Tirumalasettyhally and then to Chikkatirupathi to avoid Hoskote traffic jams.

Last edited by gajadonga : 21st May 2018 at 15:41.
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:13   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
After Chikkatirupathi did you take the Alambadi - Baglur - Hosur route?
No, we kept going in the NH648 (old NH207).

We didn't notice any road work happening around Hoskote.
Old 26th May 2018, 22:31   #476
Senior - BHPian

Devanahalli to Hosur a short update

Devanahalli upto Hoskote.
Road are average and some patches it has developed pot holes need to be careful.

Hoskote to Thirmalasettyhalli road is quite average no potholes thou.

After Thirmalasettyhalli upto Chikkatirupathi excellent road.

Chikkatirupathi Alambadi gate Bagalur Hosur is good without potholes.

Plan for 2hrs in this stretch

Last edited by gajadonga : 26th May 2018 at 22:33.
gajadonga is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 06:46   #477
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I had taken the Doddaballapur route last month after a long time and realised that there is good amount of construction work going on as you close in near Nelamangala.
Question for you Parag : Its been quite some time since I have seen that part of Bangalore:

- How bad is 207 to Doddaballapur from Devanahalli ?
- How complete are the construction works around Doddaballapur (flyovers)?
- How good/bad/complete is the 207 work toward Dobbaspet ?
- Status of Doddaballapur-Nelamangala SH ?

As per what I understand, NH207 was under a major overhaul not just around Devanahalli but also around Hoskote and Chikka Tirupathi (some pipeline work). But prior posts mentioned the construction around Hoskote is near complete. And it was also reported that Devanahalli-Hoskote was ok to go.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2018 at 06:47.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:34   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How bad is 207 to Doddaballapur from Devanahalli ?
Not bad at all. In fact I would say its quiet good as you can easily stick to 80 kmph speeds on most sections.
  • Devanhalli - Vishwanathapura: 75% of the distance is good 2L with occasional potholes bang in the middle of the road. Watch out for a couple of nasty ones as soon as you cross savukanahalli lake.
  • Vishwanathapura - Raghunathapura: 4L which are a little uneven but decent to drive on. Do ensure that you drop speed drastically the minute you see the 4L ending as the links between 4L & 2L road sections are very bad and have deep ruts caused by trucks
  • Raghunathapura - Doddaballapura:good 2L and now that the flyover is complete, its a breeze to cross that junction but do watchout for those mad trucks barelling down the flyover when you approach from raghunathapura.

Quote:
How complete are the construction works around Doddaballapur (flyovers)?
The railway flyover is done and operational. Not sure if there were other flyovers which were planned/under construction. I didnt see any when I drove to Ghati the week before last.

Quote:
How good/bad/complete is the 207 work toward Dobbaspet ?
I drove this stretch sometime last year and it was a mess. While a lot of 4L was complete, it was extremely uneven and hard to maintain decent speeds. Another problem was the 4L stretches were not all complete and some ended abruptly.

Quote:
Status of Doddaballapur-Nelamangala SH ?
I remember reading posts which mentioned that this was a decent option with OK roads. But this was almost a year ago - not sure of the current conditions.

If the goal is to hit AH47, then the best bet would probably be devanahalli - doddabalapur - gauribidanur - madhugiri - sira. That way you also miss the joy riding to/in tumkur

Doddabalapur - Gauribidanur: Drove up to tondebavi last Dec and the roads were good. Most of the 4L was complete and toll booths were being constructed just before tondebavi.

Gauribidanur - Madhugiri - Sira: must check with autospeaker or kk_hakunamatata for updates as I remember them mentioning that they travel to madhugiri frequently.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 08:53   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If the goal is to hit AH47, then the best bet would probably be devanahalli - doddabalapur - gauribidanur - madhugiri - sira. That way you also miss the joy riding to/in tumkur
Thanks for the update around Doddaballapur. My reason for Doddaballapur-Nelamangala SH was to get to Hassan highway.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:04   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- How bad is 207 to Doddaballapur from Devanahalli ?
- How complete are the construction works around Doddaballapur (flyovers)?
- How good/bad/complete is the 207 work toward Dobbaspet ?
Haven't driven Devanahalli - Doddaballapura - Dabaspet recently but I know that both the ROBs, at Doddaballapura and the next one at Muddalinganahalli are still undone and should take some time. A colleague who stays in Yelahanka travels to Doddaballapur every week.

Realistically, I would be more worried about the ROB at Doddaballapura as the snarls at times do consume more time due to frequency of trains and the roads forking out here towards Yelahanka and Devanahalli.

Quote:
- Status of Doddaballapur-Nelamangala SH ?
Not sure on the status as of now Amp. I have been planning some impromptu drive here on a weekday but have not managed to get time.

Quote:
Thanks for the update around Doddaballapur. My reason for Doddaballapur-Nelamangala SH was to get to Hassan highway.
This is exactly what I thought you were referring to. In fact few weeks back since It was I and parents heading to Belur/Chikmagalur, I always wanted to try this option of reaching Nelamangala directly from Yelahanka side and tried it and timed it as well. It took around 40 minutes for me from Yelahanka (Shell Station on Doddaballapur Road) to Nelamangala where Hassan highway starts. For a Saturday noon I guess google calculated the time I would have spent first to get to Tumkur Road and then the wait at the toll, both which were completely avoided through this one.

What I noticed is that road widening work is in progress from Nelamangala towards Doddaballapur side and by looks of it It is sure that the plan is to make this a good option to reach KIAL from Hassan and Tumkur.

On Devanahalli - Doddaballapur - Dabaspet, I can only share latest info once I drive but from those who have traveled who I know had no real complaints.

I mean, imagine getting stuck at Hebbal for over 30+ minutes by which one can easily reach Nelamangala. Works as a wonderful option to totally stay away from the chaos.

Also, since I recently took the route from between A2B on KIAL to Rajankunte when I visited the Dravid Padukone Sports Center and then Decathalon and back, I realised that his can be a good choice if one wants to head to Nelamangala and still avoid Doddaballapur.

The image below shows the 2 points :A2B as Start and Terminating at Nelamangala:

On Bypassing Bangalore-mvit-nelamangala.jpg

Route link

The advantage with this is that the number of Railway lines you would pass without a hurdle (and much truck traffic) will be less on this.

So I had taken exactly the blue route but from Rajankunte onwards that afternoon. This route also has a nice magic box to cross a Railway line nearing Nelamangala also and the finished ROB at Rajankunte.

But the bigger question remains : May not be easy for first timers to navigate and with this Devahanalli - Doddaballapur - Nelamangala can still remain a better (Or rather safer) bet.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed