Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 14:45   #1831
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Team-BHPians and their pets

A RESOUNDING YES to your post.

Whenever any one wishes to adopt a pet or keep a pet, he/ she needs to consider that it is a lifetime committment. A pet is not a toy to be switched on and off as the owner wishes. In todays selfish, self-centred and highly competitive, time starved world, unless one is willing to devote the time and attention and/ or has help/ infrastructure to support it, please DO NOT keep a PET!

For anyone who is considering leaving the poor pet alone locked up in an apartment or house when he/ she goes to office/ work, please just think - would you do the same thing to your small child? Remember the poor pet cant speak and so cannot tell you what he/ she is going through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Im my opinion it is cruel to keep large dogs - Labradors, German Shepherds etc in small flats. These require a lot of room and exercise, so if you are in a flat you have to take them out for two-three km walks at least twice a day, else get a small dog.

Another problem is that dogs may create a havoc in the house if left alone for long time. This is mostly due to boredom and at time frustration. So in case there is no one in the house for along stretches of time, avoid keeping dogs.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:44   #1832
BHPian

Folks, I'm not sure if this has been discussed here. I want some help regarding a couple of pet (dog) owners close to my place.

There are these 2 lousy and absolutely ridiculous neighbors or rather houses along the road where I stay. Both of them have a pet dog - a labrador and another fellow has probably some ordinary dog (maybe even a stray).

The Lab as I've been seeing lately is hardly shown any importance - poor thing is kept in a garage with nothing for it to lay down on. Not sure when he is fed food and is almost always tied up with a rope - yes, a proper jute rope. The owners hardly go near him and the only time I ever see them near the dog is while giving it food and taking it out for a walk (I guess probably twice a day?). It is saaadd to see such a lovely Lab being treated in the most disgusting manner - poor thing keeps barking, waving its tail and attracting attention to its owners, but ultimately gets tired and sleeps off. I also see that the owners are scared of going close to the dog. I must also mention that until the past couple of weeks these people didnt have a dog and the Lab itself is not a pup - must be atleast 3-4 yrs old IMO. So, I'm not sure if they're caring for this Lab temporarily?

The second one, I guess is treated better, but the owners tend to leave the dog tied up outside the house and leave it all alone for hours together. By afternoon/late evening the the dog has hardly any energy left to bark - can hear it crying out loud.

I wonder if any of you can direct me to a known pet centre or some place I can lodge a request/complain against such treatment.

I love dogs and also all forms of wild life and nature. I would love to own a pet, but due to work related travel and family commitments have refrained from keeping one yet. Hopefully, in the near future will own a pet!
Old 24th April 2011, 07:53   #1833
BANNED

Please call CUPA and put in a request to them. PM me and I will give you the number of one of their top brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Folks, I'm not sure if this has been discussed here. I want some help regarding a couple of pet (dog) owners close to my place.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th April 2011 at 09:10. Reason: Removed long post quote.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:35   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Please call CUPA and put in a request to them. PM me and I will give you the number of one of their top brass.
Thanks! Was away from home all day today - will call them tomorrow first thing in the morning. My concern is such that this was the first thread I checked after getting online!
Old 25th April 2011, 10:19   #1835
BANNED

it is sad that we have a toothless SPCA and despite having a law in place on ill treatment of animals, no one ever enforces that law. We preach Ahimsa in our country but I submit that we are amongst the cruellest people in this world when it comes to animals. Absolutely hateful.

Quote:
Thanks! Was away from home all day today - will call them tomorrow first thing in the morning. My concern is such that this was the first thread I checked after getting online!
Old 25th April 2011, 10:27   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is a "Dr Jinesh Shah" listed as PFA's contact in mumbai.
I've PM'd you his phone numbers.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 14:00   #1837
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends wants to sale his female lab puppy. Following are the details:

================================================== =====
I had brought lab puppy, recently. However, due to some problem in my family I have no choice than to look for someone who is willing to buy a female Labrador dog.

Could you please spread this info in your network of friends/people and
see if anybody is interested in lab.

Details of puppy-
Date of birth: Jan 24, 2011
Its a Pedigree puppy. Certificate with microchip will be given.
Vaccination and de-worming have been done. Record book will be given.
I had bought it for Rs. 10,000/-. Spent 700+300+300 on vaccination.

Please PM me if anybody of you is interested. He loves his pup but due to some unavoidable reason wants to sale off. He wants to give it to a dog lover and hence I am posting it here. Trust me guys, my friend is NOT happy about it but has no choice (Family burden etc etc). The lab is fantastic. You can check out her pic in one of my earlier posting (Probably 2-3 weeks old post on this thread).
Old 29th April 2011, 18:14   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
One of my friends wants to sale his female lab puppy. Following are the details:

I had brought lab puppy, recently. However, due to some problem in my family I have no choice than to look for someone who is willing to buy a female Labrador dog.

Could you please spread this info in your network of friends/people and
see if anybody is interested in lab.

Details of puppy-
Date of birth: Jan 24, 2011
Its a Pedigree puppy. Certificate with microchip will be given.
Vaccination and de-worming have been done. Record book will be given.
I had bought it for Rs. 10,000/-. Spent 700+300+300 on vaccination.

Please PM me if anybody of you is interested. He loves his pup but due to some unavoidable reason wants to sale off. He wants to give it to a dog lover and hence I am posting it here. Trust me guys, my friend is NOT happy about it but has no choice (Family burden etc etc). The lab is fantastic. You can check out her pic in one of my earlier posting (Probably 2-3 weeks old post on this thread).
Here is her pic:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2308664
Old 29th April 2011, 18:24   #1839
BHPian

In the pic you have mentioned that you could not keep her because your flat doesn't have a balcony and it peed 17 times in 2 days. I have 2 balconies but my lab hardly ever goes to the balcony. If peeing is the main reason why you don't want to keep her at home, you could give her toilet training (labs learn it very quickly) and take her down 2-3 times a day (each walk of about 1 km). That's more than adequate.

P.S: She's very cute
Old 29th April 2011, 18:31   #1840
BANNED

Quote:
One of my friends wants to sale his female lab puppy.
From my very limited experience with pets/animals.

One thing I have noticed, when you "sell" your pet you have no control what house it is going to.

But if you are giving it out for adoption without trying to receive what you paid for it. The pet gets the right house 99.9% of the time.

Now which of the above is of a higher concern to the owner selling would define the love for a pet.

Personal opinion again, I would never "buy" a pet who somebody else does not want. I would adopt though.
Spitfire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 18:44   #1841

I am also concerned about people buying Pets just because they feel its status symbol. Nobody in this world has a right to make someones life miserable. I would like to tell all of them that if you cannot make your pets life happy, then DON"T MAKE IT WORSE, PLEASE!!
Somebody else, rather more loving person will have them.

By the way: I am proud owner of three German-shepherds, & I just love them.
Old 29th April 2011, 20:25   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_brullen View Post
I am also concerned about people buying Pets just because they feel its status symbol. Nobody in this world has a right to make someones life miserable. I would like to tell all of them that if you cannot make your pets life happy, then DON"T MAKE IT WORSE, PLEASE!!
Somebody else, rather more loving person will have them.

By the way: I am proud owner of three German-shepherds, & I just love them.
I truly understand it. I have given up the hope of having a pet long before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
From my very limited experience with pets/animals.

One thing I have noticed, when you "sell" your pet you have no control what house it is going to.

But if you are giving it out for adoption without trying to receive what you paid for it. The pet gets the right house 99.9% of the time.

Now which of the above is of a higher concern to the owner selling would define the love for a pet.

Personal opinion again, I would never "buy" a pet who somebody else does not want. I would adopt though.
He is willing to sell her off. As its not my pet, I hardly have any say in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
In the pic you have mentioned that you could not keep her because your flat doesn't have a balcony and it peed 17 times in 2 days. I have 2 balconies but my lab hardly ever goes to the balcony. If peeing is the main reason why you don't want to keep her at home, you could give her toilet training (labs learn it very quickly) and take her down 2-3 times a day (each walk of about 1 km). That's more than adequate.

P.S: She's very cute
She is not my pet. I had kept her at my home for 2 days as my friend was out of station. She is indeed very loving. As my house is a bit small (2 bhk without a balcony), I have given up the thought of having a pet long before.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 01:35   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He is willing to sell her off. As its not my pet, I hardly have any say in this.
Appreciated, so not aimed at you, but in the spirit of previous posts...

A dog is not an investment. Those wanting a pure-bred animal are, almost inevitably, limited to sourcing from a professional breeder, which means buying, and also means paying the high prices such animals command. The idea of subsequently trying to sell such an animal (except in certain circumstances, such as back to a pro breeder for breeding) leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

Again, neoonwheels, I know this is not you. Just getting it off my chest.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 14:57   #1844

Quote:
I truly understand it. I have given up the hope of having a pet long before.
+1 for your understanding and admiration for the feeling of a Pet. You truly are pet lover. But this was generalized statement which people often do in practice.

I become pale with the site of such poor animal.
Old 30th April 2011, 17:07   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Guys!! I need help. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...emergency.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks