Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 17:12   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Should I go in for a static IP address at our office? Airtel charges 5000rs annually for the same.

What are the advantages of this? Also does it cause any issue in sharing the connection via a LAN server?
Old 12th February 2013, 18:19   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Should I go in for a static IP address at our office? Airtel charges 5000rs annually for the same.

What are the advantages of this? Also does it cause any issue in sharing the connection via a LAN server?
A static IP allows us to refer to the same IP all the time, and very useful when you need to host a server of any kind or require to refer the same resources from across the internet. With regards to issues I dont see any issues due to Static IP. That said I am not a network engineer...
Old 12th February 2013, 21:24   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sahil, if you don't know what it is for, you don't need it. Stick to DHCP and enjoy your anonymity.

I have static address at home because I need it. My home network is in permanent VPN with my office network.
Old 12th February 2013, 21:54   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It depends on whether you want folks to connect to your office from outside. At my place people connect for various reasons and hence it is useful. If all the network activity from your office is from within the office to the outside world, you don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have static address at home because I need it. My home network is in permanent VPN with my office network.
There are VPN configurations that require *both* ends to have static IPs; but those are the lazy admin's solutions. All (well known) VPN services are perfectly capable of utilizing the so-called "Roadwarrior" configuration with secure PKI-based authentication systems, where one end can be on a dynamic IP address.
Old 12th February 2013, 23:53   #320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are VPN configurations that require *both* ends to have static IPs; but those are the lazy admin's solutions. All (well known) VPN services are perfectly capable of utilizing the so-called "Roadwarrior" configuration with secure PKI-based authentication systems, where one end can be on a dynamic IP address.
Has it occurred to you that not every company has admins, let alone lazy admins?

My home network has not only PCs, but IP phones and network printers. The last two don't have any roadwarrior configuration. So I, the lazy non-admin configured a Juniper SSG5 in permanent VPN with my office, so that all my devices can join the office network. The Cisco ASA 5505 at office is again managed by the lazy non-admin namely me. Only my laptop is using Cisco VPN client, because that often needs to work over dynamic IP from different places. I am primarily a programmer, therefore my networking knowledge is rudimentary. In fact I learnt how set this up from here.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:12   #321
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Has it occurred to you that not every company has admins, let alone lazy admins?

My home network has not only PCs, but IP phones and network printers. The last two don't have any roadwarrior configuration. So I, the lazy non-admin configured a Juniper SSG5 in permanent VPN with my office, so that all my devices can join the office network. The Cisco ASA 5505 at office is again managed by the lazy non-admin namely me. Only my laptop is using Cisco VPN client, because that often needs to work over dynamic IP from different places. I am primarily a programmer, therefore my networking knowledge is rudimentary. In fact I learnt how set this up from here.
I have a question regarding the ADSL router + Modem combination. I have airtel transonic connection with airtel modem and old d-link wireless router. Both have reached end of life and am looking to replace them with a single Router + Modem combination. My biggest concern is wireless reach(strength) across rooms with two laptops and a tablet with VPN connection to office network. Checked few of the Netgear and Cisco linksys options, but am not able to conclude. Any experience sharing/feedback on this will be great.

Thanks in advance!.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:39   #322
BHPian

Just took Reliance Thunder Plan - 1099 - 4mbps UL. Seems okay. But, still, not as reliable as bsnl. Once you get connected, it seems fine. But, downtime is the issue. Worst part is,will take around 20-30mins to get connected .Took this Reliance plan just to test, if its reliable or not. Have BSNL 600Combo plan as the backup plan.

Anyone else having this connecting issue here? No other good unlimited plans here at Trivy.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:17   #323
BHPian

Using ACT Broadband since Dec 2012, 25Mbps @ 1399 for 60GB FUPs. Works decent get the download speeds around 21Mbps most of the time, never faced any issues so far.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:49   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
with two laptops and a tablet with VPN connection to office network.
Can we assume each equipment will setup their own VPN?
Old 13th February 2013, 21:05   #325
BHPian

I am using TNT Network End to end fibre broadband.

15MBPS with FUPs 50GB. They promise download speed of 60% atleast anytime. I haven't tested it yet as I do not download. Youtube does not take time to buffer though, even the HD Videos.

Charges me 1122/month

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Switched to ttn broadband in Bangalore. 1100 including tax for a 10mbps line with a 50gig limit. The icing on the cake was a small Rs. 500 installation fee that includes getting a fiber optic line into the house plus installation of a modem. I had a wireless router of my own which I use to make this a wireless LAN.
Is it an ADSL Router you using? I am sure not, but if yes, please tell me how to. I have a nice ADSL router but can not use it since this connection only supports DSL router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is this service available all over Bangalore or only in specific areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
I am not sure if this is available all over B'lore. I have actually seen it only in HSR L/O. Other members can help.
It is only in HSR and Agra as far as I know.

Last edited by Googleman : 13th February 2013 at 21:14.
Old 13th February 2013, 23:59   #326
BHPian

Gurgaon

Airtel ftth connection
Speed 16 Mbps promised
12 Mbps delivered
50 gb post which 512 Kbps
Rs 2600 pm
Old 14th February 2013, 10:06   #327
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can we assume each equipment will setup their own VPN?
Sorry. what I meant was, each of them will be just VPN client. Not server. So, no need to setup a VPN server in any of the devices. The pain point is, when wireless signal strength is just 2 bars, my VPN drops out even though connection is still up for browsing. So, looking for ADSL router+modem combo which will yield best strength (4 bars at least) all over the house at the same level. (No staircase).

And, my broadband connection is Airtel transonic
8 Mbps speed.
64 GB download, with 1000 mins talk time.
1250/per month.

Thanks!
Old 25th February 2013, 12:03   #328
BHPian

What are the good alternatives to BSNL broadband in Blr?
I am not sure if ACT is covered in our area.

BSNL sucks when it goes down. No response to complaints, and do not know how to escalate

I stay near HAL. Welcome for suggestions.
Old 25th February 2013, 12:07   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post

BSNL sucks when it goes down. No response to complaints, and do not know how to escalate

Reliance ADSL is pretty good. I have had them since past two years and the speeds are pretty decent at least in my area in Koramangala. I recently upgraded the connection to 2 mbps for 699/- and speedtest.net always shows more than 2 mbps download speeds.

Its Reliance Broadband Wired connection.
Old 25th February 2013, 12:12   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post

I'd suggest going for Airtel broadband if ACT doesn't have coverage in your loaclity. Been using Airtel broadband for the last 4 years. There's been very less downtime and I haven't had any problems with service till now.

Most Viewed