Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 23:22   #406
Senior - BHPian

What do you think of hacving serious mass as a supplement?

And what about creatine Vikram.
Old 9th September 2007, 01:42   #407
BHPian

id recommend N-large for weight gain. you do need a very good workout regime else you will just end up fat. it is possible to gain weight with just whey protein and a strict diet.

im not a fan of creatine basically because it just increases water retention in the muscles and you end up looking bloated.
Old 9th September 2007, 01:46   #408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks cheap_deal.

What is a good diet? Eating 3 hours or eating a balanced diet and not eating junk?

Creatine also increases heat in the body and you need to have loads of water.
Old 9th September 2007, 02:32   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
What do you think of hacving serious mass as a supplement?

And what about creatine Vikram.
Just stick to good Quality whey protein ( SAN and MRM are my personal faves) and eat around 4 healthy meals with 2 protein shakes as supplements. Most Weight / Mass gain supplements have extra calories in the form of carbs, mainly sugars. Now why in gods name do you want to spend your money on sugar??? You can always get carbs from pasta, bananas, potatoes etc. and you can up your calories by eating clean fat like Olive oil, peanut butter etc. Remember fat is very anabolic and very good for a mass gain cycle.
I'd lay off the creatine for now at least. Basically creatine helps in recovery and added energy to work out better. You need ATP (Adenosine TriPhospate) to do any kind of work. With work, ATP becomes ADP (Adenosine BiPhospate) and then AMP (Adenosine Mono Phosphate). The creatine that you supplement is Creatine Phosphate. This gives a phosphate ion to ADP, turning it back to ATP, allowing you to workout more. This is the scientific explanation.
For now, just stick to the mass gain workout, eat well and rest and don't forget...Drink plenty of water. too much protein will overload your kidneys and you'll need the water to flush out the waste. Don't neglect this. My surefire method is to fill up "X" no. of bottles in the morning and to drink only from those throughout the day. This way I know exactly how much water I've been drinking; takes the guesswork out of the equation completely
Old 9th September 2007, 17:22   #410
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vikram.

My trainer told me to buy serious mass instead of whey.

So creatine can be given a bunk for now.

I have been gymming since 3 year, with past 2 years 9 months being on-off with 6 months off and ignoring many body parts like back, legs, shoulders.

Now since almost 4 months i have bene gymming with proper time table and body part wise.

How often should a massage be taken?
Old 10th September 2007, 00:53   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vikram.

My trainer told me to buy serious mass instead of whey.
Most trainers don't know squat about nutrition. They peddle anything that gives them the biggest profit.

Quote:
So creatine can be given a bunk for now.
YES. Just get your basic training and diet routine into place first; don't look for quick fix remedies.

Quote:
I have been gymming since 3 year, with past 2 years 9 months being on-off with 6 months off and ignoring many body parts like back, legs, shoulders.
And why on earth have you been ignoring some of the largest and most important muscle groups? How can you ever achieve a proportionate physique if you ignore 3 out of 5 muscle groups? Please don't play favourites with your body parts; work them all regularly

Quote:
How often should a massage be taken?
Along with steam/sauna, a massage is only for the feel-good factor; doesn't do anything besides making you feel nice. Take one whenever you feel like
Old 10th September 2007, 11:14   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't play favourites with your body parts; work them all regularly
Thanks Vikram, actually i wasnot regular at the gym, i would go on monday do chest and then go on saturday and then do biceps and all. But now i realised so doing all boyd parts.

Quote:
Along with steam/sauna, a massage is only for the feel-good factor; doesn't do anything besides making you feel nice. Take one whenever you feel like
The massage guy and the trainer at the gym told me that muscles lock so by getting a massage done you can get them unlocked and lift better.

Any other specific thing i need to eat, like i eat sprouts, peanuts.
Old 10th September 2007, 12:49   #413
BHPian

if you can eat a small balanced meal every 3 hrs its very good.
since your on a mass gain routine, a burger or pizza during the weekend will not hurt. just dont eat at mcdonalds every day to gain mass

stick to whey protein (optimum nutrition whey is what i take and it comes highly recommended by many).

4 meals and 2 protein shakes is a good idea. the last one before you goto sleep can be milk with whey.

take 60gms whey after workout

you can make a weight gain shake on your own. this is how i used to do it. 300ml milk, 2 scoops of ice cream, 1 scoop of peanut butter, 2 eggs (some say 2 is bad for health), 2 bananas. dump it all into a blender and you got a weight gain drink
Old 10th September 2007, 13:39   #414
BHPian

Quote:
The massage guy and the trainer at the gym told me that muscles lock so by getting a massage done you can get them unlocked and lift better.
Hahahahahahaha...lock indeed!!! The only thing you'll unlock are your pockets and fill up the masseur's!

Quote:
Any other specific thing i need to eat, like i eat sprouts, peanuts.
Snacking on nuts is great. Always steam sprouts, makes them more digestible.

As to the other suggestion, I'm not so keen on having whey with milk; gives me indigestion. Ditto 60gms of protein post-workout. I think it's a bit too much. Your body can absorb only so much protein at a time, and since your body doesn't store protein, the excess, along with your hard earned money, is literally flushed down the toilet. That's the reason for eating protein at regular intervals; your body can't store it.
Personally, I prefer SAN over Optimum; I also think that Optimum makes the WORST tasting protein powders ever.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for or sell any protein supplements; this is just personal preference.
Old 10th September 2007, 13:55   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
just dont eat at mcdonalds every day to gain mass
I prefer Subway; the warm chocolate cookies are my cheat treat.

Quote:
stick to whey protein (optimum nutrition whey is what i take and it comes highly recommended by many).
I really don't like Optimum. It's the worst tasting powder I've ever had and it really didn't give me great results. I prefer SAN. I always buy Vanilla, and then can add any flavor I want. If you REALLY want to be choosy and want the absolute best, regardless of cost, try a CrossFlow Microfiltered Whey Isolate; probably cost you double of the popular Whey Blends. Avoid pure WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate), as that has the lowest absorption rate.

Quote:
4 meals and 2 protein shakes is a good idea. the last one before you goto sleep can be milk with whey.
I'd prefer the "goodnight" shake to be a 50-50 whey-casein blend, preferably with Micellar Casein. Casein is very slowly absorbed (about 6 hours) and this way you'll have protein in your bloodstream almost all night long for tissue repair and growth.

Quote:
take 60gms whey after workout
I think 40-45 gms is more than enough. 60 would be overkill. The body can only absorb and use so much protein at one time (around 40-45gms). So you'll practically be wasting one whole serving of protein, and supplements don't come cheap.

Quote:
you can make a weight gain shake on your own. this is how i used to do it. 300ml milk, 2 scoops of ice cream, 1 scoop of peanut butter, 2 eggs (some say 2 is bad for health), 2 bananas. dump it all into a blender and you got a weight gain drink
That's a nice recipe. I'd use a blend of casein, whey and egg white, toss in any soft fruit, zero cal sweetener or honey, some Olive Oil and blend that. Of course, I was making Meal Replacement drinks and not a weight gainer, hence no icecream.
You can also try blending this...an apple, vanilla flavoured whey and yoghurt (curds). You can add just a li'l litchi or Apple juice for added flavor. Makes a yummy refreshing protein smoothie. Perfect for those hot afternoons. Tastes like Apple lassi, only far healthier.
Old 10th September 2007, 15:54   #416

Hi Guys!
A good info thread and nice contributions from all. I am 37 and am trying to loose atleast 10kgs in the next two months.
Have joined a gym and am enjoying it. but have just lost 1.5kgs in the last month.
love doing weights. But am bit confused as one of the trainers told me that to rest only 30secs between sets. I was timing myself for 60 secs.
Also overheard him saying to someone that one can only do one thing at a time in the GYM either loose weight or build muscles which is completely against my basic understandings as muscles and fat are two completely different tissues.
Thirdly since i have very faithfully regulated my diet and I need some additional protien only supplement, dicussing with him he stated that all protien only supplements have creatin??? (about 1%).
Would appreciate comments from forum members regarding this.
Thanks!
Old 10th September 2007, 22:28   #417
Senior - BHPian

How many sets to do, should i do moderate 3 sets or heavy 2 sets. When i do 2 sets i finish in 45 minutes, with 3 sets i take atleast 1 hour 15 minutes or more.
Old 11th September 2007, 01:52   #418
BHPian

3 sets. 2 is too less
Old 11th September 2007, 10:40   #419
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Cheap Deal and Vikram your insight on self made mass gainer is really helpful, will tru it out soon.
Old 17th September 2007, 22:16   #420
BHPian

has anyone tried Gold's gym in bangalore ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks