Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 16:58   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Rahul Restaurant Aundh...lets not talk about it. We got to Rahul like some people go to a mess. Our new office is just opposite Rahul.

Last Friday 6 of us went there. We told the captain that we need some dish (chicken obviously) which will be sufficient for 6 persons. He suggested go for Chicken Maharaja. Man! The quantity was so much that we could not finish everything from the dish...or I should say trey. Yaa trey...the dish was served in a huge trey with a mountain size quantity of chicken. I liked the honesty of the captain.
Old 11th March 2011, 17:26   #167
Senior - BHPian

@Konjaril - That is a mouthwatering list I think the Next Tapri Meet has to be at one of these places
Old 11th March 2011, 17:28   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Konjaril - That is a mouthwatering list I think the Next Tapri Meet has to be at one of these places

I agree on that! A definite must do!
Old 19th March 2011, 10:02   #169
BHPian

Orchid Restaurant, Fortune Inn Group , Hinjewadi. This is nearabouts Mariott.

We'd gone there yesterday during lunch and opted for the buffet. The spread is delectable and has a huge assortment of salads, small servings of cold cut meat and a cheese bar. Noticably, there is no course of starters - but hardly missed since the main course had even more variety. I recollect at leat 8 veg dishes and 1 each of fish, chicken and mutton. Desserts - about 8-10 options including Tiramisu (good), cheesecake (ok) and regular assortment of pastries etc.

At about 300 + taxes pp, this is a pretty good place for the occassional treat from a person during working hours.

Parking - Yes, plenty
Ambience - Good, well lit, plenty of space to accomodate big parties
Service - prompt
a la carte option - Yes, very reasonable rates
Old 19th March 2011, 10:39   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Orchid Restaurant, Fortune Inn Group , Hinjewadi. This is nearabouts Mariott.

We'd gone there yesterday during lunch and opted for the buffet. The spread is delectable and has a huge assortment of salads, small servings of cold cut meat and a cheese bar. Noticably, there is no course of starters - but hardly missed since the main course had even more variety.
I agree. They serve starters (one veg and one non-veg) if you ask them. But then the rate becomes Rs. 381+taxes. The regular lunch buffet is Rs. 281+taxes. For dinner the rate is Rs. 381+taxes and that includes the starters. I have been there a few times. Good buffet spread at a reasonable cost.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:38   #171
BANNED

Apart from the many cities i have visted and stayed in, Pune is really disappointing when it comes to Punjabi food.

Almost everyone i asked and even here on this thread, people agree that great punjab at KP and Sigree ( I don't know where) are the best for Punjabi food.

I have been to both these places and heres my mini review

1. Great Punjab : Good Food but not authentic punjabi food, just a fine dine take on punjabi food. Something like what you find in London. Most of the dishes for eg: Chicken Peshawari are full of food colors and is not authentic.

2. Sigree : By far the worst lunch buffet i ever had, though the starters were good and somewhat authentic, Everything else was utter crap and totally non-authentic.

So guys suggest me a place to go for punjabi food in Pune, the next time i am here.

Btw I do not care about the ambience and the service, i just care about authentic and tasty punjabi food. So basically i also do not care if the restaurant prices are dirt cheap or really expensive, I just need a place that serves good food.

PS - Hailing from punjab and growing up in Delhi, I know a thing or two (actually a lot) about punjabi food. I hope you guys tell me about a place that is really a blast to eat at.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:44   #172
BHPian

There is a small restaurant next to Hotel Ramakrishna's in its compound. It serves delicious unlimited food veg only i guess. Been there 3-4 years ago. Simply filling. Really nice desserts too.

Salut
Old 31st March 2011, 15:16   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Apart from the many cities i have visted and stayed in, Pune is really disappointing when it comes to Punjabi food.

2. Sigree : By far the worst lunch buffet i ever had, though the starters were good and somewhat authentic, Everything else was utter crap and totally non-authentic.

PS - Hailing from punjab and growing up in Delhi, I know a thing or two (actually a lot) about punjabi food. I hope you guys tell me about a place that is really a blast to eat at.
I have to agree with you - The food at Sigree is really bad. When i was in Pune on holiday in December, i took a few friends there for dinner and it was really rubbish.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:37   #174
BHPian

People! I'm coming to Pune over this long weekend with 5-6 friends. And being a hardcore foodie, I need you guys to tell me what are the best road-side/regular restaurants in Pune. Tell me about places which are legendary for something. All of us are hardcore non-vegetarians (No beef and pork though). So maybe you all can tell me your top-5 favorite places to eat in and around Pune. It can be anything from a road-side stall to a nashta/farsan centre to a high-end restaurant.

P.S.: 1000 oaks (especially for its barmen's pitcher) is already on list. Is there some Legendary tea-stall near swara-gate? And someone was telling me about some parantha place too? Any more info?

Last edited by creative420 : 21st April 2011 at 12:39. Reason: more info
Old 21st April 2011, 12:44   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
People! I'm coming to Pune over this long weekend with 5-6 friends. And being a hardcore foodie, I need you guys to tell me what are the best road-side/regular restaurants in Pune. Tell me about places which are legendary for something. All of us are hardcore non-vegetarians (No beef and pork though). So maybe you all can tell me your top-5 favorite places to eat in and around Pune. It can be anything from a road-side stall to a nashta/farsan centre to a high-end restaurant.

P.S.: 1000 oaks (especially for its barmen's pitcher) is already on list. Is there some Legendary tea-stall near swara-gate? And someone was telling me about some parantha place too? Any more info?
For quick access i had copied all the joints mentioned in this thread and from other sources in one doc. I am attaching that your reference so that you do not have to go through the entire list.

For Non-Veg i can vouch for Tiranga in the list.

Not sure about Road Side Tapri but Durga is suggested for some good cold coffee.

Maybe you can go through the list and check it out.

Eating Joints - Pune.doc
Old 21st April 2011, 14:14   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post

Well i havent heared about the tea stall walla but there are road side tapri's but not all of them are worth it. so can you just tell as what will be your major hang out spots? i am just jotting down some tapri's which come on top of my head.

Good luck cafe: At F.C road (start of F.C road) not a tapri but definate a must go when it comes to break fast. their bun maska and tea are to die for. its just heavenly.

chaitanya: the famous paratha house at sant gyaneshwar chawk F.C road. they have some delicious aloo paratha's lathered with mouth watering butter. also try their custard after wards. there is a non veg counter part too.. but didt find it worthy to be mentioned here

now when it comes to tapri there are a few but all of them are spread around.

deccan college tapri: on the road which intersects to FC road. try their bread pakodas here dipped in mouth watering chatneys. there are a bunch of tapri's together here and all of them have some speciality.

kothrud sponge dosa corner: My My. what a delicasy! dosa,s softer than heaven served on banana leaf along with coconut cutney. a must try if you are headed towards kothrud.

misal pav@ wagholi: this is the other end of pune and the tapri is too far when you look at it. but the dish is just lip smakcing and i make it a point to visit the place atleast once a month.

tapri @ agriculture college lane: all the delicacies here are cheap and relly refresh you when it comes to evening snacks.

chicken and mutton boti: the place is located at the turn towards koregaon park after the kalani nagar bridge ends. the guy sits ony in the evenings and has a humble coal buning stove on which he has little peices of heaven roasted to glory, smuthered with lemon and served with pudina @ 15rs

Beef burger and tongue roll special: the lane towards brand factory at MG road. the tapri is just at the biginning of the road and you get the most mouth watering hardcore non veg stuff

tandoori chicken and beef seekh kebabs: on the road to Ishanya near yerwada. the place is always crowded and is a small stand selling these utterly delicious stuff. also try their chicken biryani.

Mutton seek kebabs and kheera(beef udders): this is again situated at boat club road opposite hdfc bank the guy sits after 6 in the evening and has some delicious liver fry too.

please feel free to ask exact directions to the above if you find them confusing.

Last edited by konjaril : 21st April 2011 at 14:43.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:09   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
i am just jotting down some tapri's which come on top of my head.......please feel free to ask exact directions to the above if you find them confusing.
Thank you very much sir! Will try binging at as many places as possible. Chicken Mutton boti sounds awesome! Cheers!
Old 5th May 2011, 10:59   #178
Senior - BHPian

Todays PT has given a list of places that serve buffets. Lunch and dinner options. Vast list for sure. Ranging from the usual places to the likes of Hyatt, Westin, Marriott et al. Slurrp Slurrp!
I am saving the copy for future references!
Old 6th May 2011, 11:17   #179
Senior - BHPian

How come there are very few recommendations for vegetarian restaurants?
Also, I could find any recommendations from areas such as Kalyani Nagar or Viman Nagar. Looks like there is no choice but to travel to more happening places like camp, JM road, Deccan etc.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:55   #180
Senior - BHPian

If you guys get a chance visit:

1. Tsaai yeh *** - On Sus-Baner link road, opp Nano space - Speciality Chinese

2. Olives and Oregano - On baner road, next to Archies gallary, Speciality - Lebanese and Italian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks