Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 12:19   #1036
Senior - BHPian

For folks interested in simple but well prepared north indian food around Manyata:
Foodies: It is off the service lane as you exit Manyata and go towards Nagvara signal. A veg thali costs 40 bucks and is definitely worth it. Many people have lunch there daily.
Fridays you get momos as well but you have to call in morning and book in advance

Let me know if anyone needs more specific directions.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:38   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Where can I get the best bisibelabath in bangalore?

I had some at dasaprakash (i think) in mysore but was kinda disappointed!
Old 1st April 2010, 12:47   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

Go to MTR. Bisibele bath is the best there.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:22   #1039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
From the personal dining experience of members here, which hotel/mess in bangalore provides the best 'Karimeen pollichathu'?? I have never had this particular fish and iam looking forward to taste it.
For the best Karimeen pollichathu you need to go to Kerala. Whatever you get in Bangy mallu restaurants are fake or head to any Mallu friend's home for lunch this weekend.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:31   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the personal dining experience of members here, which hotel/mess in bangalore provides the best 'Karimeen pollichathu'?? I have never had this particular fish and iam looking forward to taste it.
Nice to see this query.

Are you keen on Karimeen or Karimeen pollichathu? Karimeen is served in many mallu eateries. I have seen it on the menu of Kaayal restaurant on Jeevan Bhima Nagar Road. Decent on taste, ok on ambience. Chef is from Thrissur.

Pollichathu - various ways of preparing. In beach sand, in charcoal etc. I doubt whether any eatery in Bangalore would have such an elaborate preperation.

Best is to visit some toddy shop on a beach in Kerala, and enjoy the preperation there. But remember, toddy shops would have this in an extremely spicy fashion. So that the taste registers in spite of the toddy(or whatever, don't ask me, I don't drink).

BTW, if you are not a drinker, don't start drinking due to this.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:50   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

Pollichathu - various ways of preparing. In beach sand, in charcoal etc. I doubt whether any eatery in Bangalore would have such an elaborate preperation.
Thought it was made by marinating karimeen with necessary spices, wrapping it in a banana leaf and then frying it. Shouldn't be too hard for bangalore outlets to prepare it! Or am i missing something here?
Old 1st April 2010, 13:53   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try at Halli Mane in Malleshwaram. You will love it!
Old 1st April 2010, 14:05   #1043
BHPian

Quote:

SLV refreshments opposite BDA park near banashankari BDA complex... i guess it is available only on fridays...

also, once in a while Upahara Darshini @NR colony makes bisibelebath..

none better than the MTR, pure master class, bisibele bath with ghee is to die for... available from 3:30p.m to 8:00p.m everyday except mondays... it is also served during lunch or dinner meals...

Last edited by sanjaymugur : 1st April 2010 at 14:08.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:13   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thought it was made by marinating karimeen with necessary spices, wrapping it in a banana leaf and then frying it. Shouldn't be too hard for bangalore outlets to prepare it! Or am i missing something here?
Right. But after wrapping in banana leaf, I don't think frying in oil is the right way to go (not sure whether such a preparation exists). It should be burnt, in high heat medium, like charcoal. Microwave oven would not create the same authentic taste. Tandoor is an option (though the fish won't be covered entirely), but mallu restaurants seldom have them.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:22   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Right. But after wrapping in banana leaf, I don't think frying in oil is the right way to go (not sure whether such a preparation exists). It should be burnt, in high heat medium, like charcoal. Microwave oven would not create the same authentic taste. Tandoor is an option (though the fish won't be covered entirely), but mallu restaurants seldom have them.
I visit Kaayal atleast 3-4 times a week but never tried Karimeen there. Best one in Blr I had was in OASIS on Brigade road (on their Chef special menu) way back in 2003. Recently had one in Maas (?) restaurant in Madiwala that was . I agree with you, best place is Toddy shops in Kerala.

In Bangalore they almost match the recipe but fail in preparation.

Let me also know if you find a better place

Anyone tried Mud chicken/fish?

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st April 2010 at 14:33.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:24   #1046
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Best one in Blr I had was in OASIS on Brigade road (on their Chef special menu) way back in 2003.
Oasis was one of the best for sea food until a few years ago. Last year, the taste was not quite upto the mark. Haven't gone there since.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:36   #1047
BHPian

Sigh, there goes my wish of digging into a tasty karimeen pollichathu :(

The thought of sharing a 'bench' with shady characters in a kallu-shaap in a run-down part of town doesn't sound very appetizing. That's if my wife hasn't already given me the LOOK ... brrr.
Old 1st April 2010, 14:37   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how good is Fish Land for sea food? Located in Majestic. It used to be pretty popular few years back.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:26   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sigh, there goes my wish of digging into a tasty karimeen pollichathu :(

The thought of sharing a 'bench' with shady characters in a kallu-shaap in a run-down part of town doesn't sound very appetizing. That's if my wife hasn't already given me the LOOK ... brrr.
Man, I was joking about the "kallu-shaap". It is just an option.

Don't worry, next time you are in Kerala, follow as per the posts here or here.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:34   #1050
BHPian

Recently, by sheer chance i happened to land up at adayar anand bhavan on cmh road. Must say the breakfast was one of best I have had in any restaurant so far in bangalore, it was really yummy. Those from tamilnadu would agree that the chutneys and sambar that they serve in TN along with idli , dosa taste a whole lot different that the ones served in the various restaurants in karnataka. I for one am not too fond of the sambhar and chutney they server out here in karnataka . The adayar anand bhavan breakfast was well worth the few extra bucks . Seriously recommed people to check it out. They serve 3 different types of chutneys with the dosa and idli. The kharabath/upma was really good. They also have an intersting collection of pickles there, which I might pick up on my next visit there which is very very soon . One issue is that , getting there is quite a hassle with all the flyover work going on, but rest assured its worth the hassle.

note: bangalore/kannadiga friends please dont take offence, since its a matter of personal taste

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks