Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 17:08   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Kadambam (Iyengar cuisine) inside Manipal Centre had shut down some time ago.

The same place got reopened recently (4-5 months back) as Kadamba (Karnataka cuisine).
Old 29th April 2010, 17:26   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Malnad food sounds interesting. I have to try Maiyya's buffet then.
Seems one can get MALNAD cuisines here(particularly Chikmagalur dishes).
Saw a review in TOI last sunday's edition.
Maiyya's has a few Malnad items... but not completely Malnad.

ANd talking of Chikmagalur, we cant forget the Dosa at Town canteen!!!
Old 30th April 2010, 02:49   #1158
BHPian

Nammura Hotel@J P Nagar

Quote:
Nammura Hotel is in JP Nagar. It's famous for selling dishes in KGs.
Yes, they sell everything by weight. It is promoted by krishna hegde, who comes on the cookery programmes of suvarna channel.

But in JP Nagar, the best place for authentic k'taka dishes is shankaranarayana refreshments. It is a self service restaurant, with no tables. Always, teeming crowds out here.
Old 30th April 2010, 07:52   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, they sell everything by weight. It is promoted by krishna hegde, who comes on the cookery programmes of suvarna channel.

But in JP Nagar, the best place for authentic k'taka dishes is shankaranarayana refreshments. It is a self service restaurant, with no tables. Always, teeming crowds out here.
i went to shankaranarayana couple of months back. is it 6th phase? my friend who took told its near Kannada actor Ambarish's house!

Food items were good! Even I saw people coming in a Merc E-class to have food there I liked the Chutney there! My friend told its open only for some limited hours in a day, like till 10 or 11 o'clock in morning and after that he is done for the day

Is Sunday holiday fro them?
Old 30th April 2010, 16:30   #1160
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I hope you did not mean "Halli Mane".

BTW, Malleshwaram has many popular and historic eateries. Some of them are: Janata Hotel (Uddina Vada/Sambar, Masala Dosa), Veena Stores (Everything!), Raghavendra Tiffin Center ?? (Out side Malleshwaram Railway station, Opp. Manipal North Side hospital; everything!). As far as "Halli Mane" is concerned, I do not like this place personally as it is all hype and less substance! always crowded.

Quote:
Malnad food sounds interesting. I have to try Maiyya's buffet then.

Nammura Hotel is in JP Nagar. It's famous for selling dishes in KGs.
Halli Mane is in Malleshwaram.

Has anyone tried SUGGI in Basaweshwarnagar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

Pardon me guys, I got confused with the name and location.

There is one more place which sells excellent chats. This is Karnataka Bhel centre in Chamarajpet, diagonally opposite to Balaji Darshan Hotel. If eating Idly with some excellent chutney is the order of the day, try 'Brahmanara coffee kendra' in Shankarapuram.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:37   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

There is one more place which sells excellent chats. This is Karnataka Bhel centre in Chamarajpet, diagonally opposite to Balaji Darshan Hotel. If eating Idly with some excellent chutney is the order of the day, try 'Brahmanara coffee kendra' in Shankarapuram.
Not to forget the lovely Khara bath too. This place is literally a hole in the wall, but serves amazing food. Open only in the morning & evening. Closed on Sundays.

IIRC, There is one more place called the New Modern Hotel (NMH) in VV Puram near Sajjan Rao Circle. Even this place serves lovely Idly sambar. In fact the sambar is supposed to be so exquisite that regulars there just order one idly and drink litres of sambar
Old 30th April 2010, 16:43   #1162
BHPian

Tried out this relatively new hyderabadi restaurant called "Meghna" this afternoon. The hyderabadi biryani was really nice, in fact i found it much better than the nandini and the mutton pepper fry was delicious.

OT: I am getting a feeling off late that the nandinis have lost the kind of quality that i was used to earlier. Somehow their dishes and prices dont seem appealing to me anymore.

This restaurant Meghna is located adjacent to La Casa on jayanagar 4th block (its close to the coffee day and barista ). This place is worth a visit IMO.
Old 1st May 2010, 01:00   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
i went to shankaranarayana couple of months back. is it 6th phase? my friend who took told its near Kannada actor Ambarish's house!

Food items were good! Even I saw people coming in a Merc E-class to have food there I liked the Chutney there! My friend told its open only for some limited hours in a day, like till 10 or 11 o'clock in morning and after that he is done for the day

Is Sunday holiday fro them?
It is JP Nagar 2nd Phase. They close around 1.30PM and are back again around 5 in the evening to close at 7PM for the day.

Sundays, they are open for the morning session. The sambar they give for idly's is what one has to go far. No where you will get a sambar like that. It is spicy and clears any clogged throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
IIRC, There is one more place called the New Modern Hotel (NMH) in VV Puram near Sajjan Rao Circle. Even this place serves lovely Idly sambar. In fact the sambar is supposed to be so exquisite that regulars there just order one idly and drink litres of sambar
NMH, is well known restaurant in mavalli. The best item for me is, bonda soup (thovve). You heard it right, it is more so for the soup you have to eat the bonda here.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:43   #1164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
... I Think Anna Brahma is near the 'electronics' shop on the HSBC ATM road. ...
Yes, that shop is on the other end. There is also a Chinese restaurant in the same premises - with a nice semi-open-air area. This is a collaboration between Chungs and Kamats. Beats any Andhra joint hands down in use of chillies - one remembers the next morning too! They just don't know the concept of moderating spiciness even when specifically asked to. Fortunately they don't mess up Sweet Corn Soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
... Swiss food? I'm looking for Cheese Fondue and Raclette ...
Some things are best enjoyed in the original environment. Non-availability of proper Swiss cheese (some problem of bilateral agricultural imports / export agreement probably) meant for Fondue / Raclette makes that impossible. One can't substitute other cheeses and get away with it. Concept of Fondue is alien to India ("woh kya sab log ek saath jhoota kar ke khate hain"!).

Raclette is another set of problems. Other cheeses become too runny, and one doesn't get the raclette potatoes that go well with the grilled cheese. Have tried a lot of substitutes, but none give acceptable results.
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:10   #1165
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Some things are best enjoyed in the original environment. Non-availability of proper Swiss cheese (some problem of bilateral agricultural imports / export agreement probably) meant for Fondue / Raclette makes that impossible. One can't substitute other cheeses and get away with it. Concept of Fondue is alien to India ("woh kya sab log ek saath jhoota kar ke khate hain"!).

Raclette is another set of problems. Other cheeses become too runny, and one doesn't get the raclette potatoes that go well with the grilled cheese. Have tried a lot of substitutes, but none give acceptable results.
Yup! Makes sense. I did see the dish on the Al Italia menu but my Swiss colleague and I avoided it stating the exact reasons as mentioned by you.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:18   #1166
BHPian

Yesterday evening i had been to this place Tacho... at mantri mall. Had few things there, me and my wife both had loose motion many times at night. I think food quality has degraded due to huge rush.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:47   #1167
BANNED

Coorg Spice on old Airport Road. Couple of my colleaguesat work took me there. Good food, good prices.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:26   #1168
BHPian

Yesterday, had been to Kadambam at Channapatna. Had yummy Masala Dosa with the usual super 'Puliyogare' & 'Sakkare pongal'. Unfortunately went there at closing time and only the above 3 items were available.

I travelled from Mysore to BLR yesterday night and was amazed to find all the good restaurants / eating joints on the highway heavily crowded even at 9.30/ 10 PM.
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:01   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Has anyone tried SUGGI in Basaweshwarnagar ?
Sushrutha, SUGGI is very good and very limited menu but the food is good taste and man the Green Chicken is tooooooo hot

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd May 2010 at 15:03.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:25   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Sushrutha, SUGGI is very good and very limited menu but the food is good taste and man the Green Chicken is tooooooo hot
Thanks gowda. Heard a mixed review from addyhemmige.
But anyways I will try this restaurent once for sure.

Most Viewed