Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 22:32   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Had gone to Costa coffee near Ashoka Pillar, Jayanagar this evening.

Coffee was so-so. I prefer CCD. It's thicker and a little cheaper.

Tiramisu was actually very good.

My friend had the Mocha Piccolo or something like that. The guy told us it was just like a Choco Capuccino of CCD. This was also not good. CCD is better anyday.

The one category in which Costa Coffee seems to be better is the food they sell. They have lots of sandwiches, paninis, etc... all sandwiches use brown bread.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:26   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
There are lots. Try Roomali on the Roof.

So you moved to EMC (Sqaure)?
I went to a place called Roomali with a view (is it the same place?), opposite Multiplex for a colleague's birthday treat. The food was ok, ambience ok. But the cleanliness not so good. The dishes were not washed properly. The soup bowls all had some sort of dusty spots in them, so I called the manager and asked him to have it cleaned. He plainly pointed to the saucer and said, use that for your soup :P
Old 16th June 2010, 19:29   #1218
BHPian

I have to visit "Bon South" @ Mantri Mall some day soon, read a pretty good review about it in TOI.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:08   #1219
BHPian

Guys - need help with the following queries on natti koli (i believe this refers to country chicken?)
1. Any places in bangalore east for good natti koli biryani?
2. what is the advantage of natti koli over broiler chicken? less fat i presume? but i think there is less meat as well correct?
3. Country chicken sold in shops are first burnt with some sort of flame thrower on it. Why do they burn the bird after plucking the feathers? This is not done on broiler chicken.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:21   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Costa coffee near Ashoka Pillar, Jayanagar this evening.

Coffee was so-so. I prefer CCD. It's thicker and a little cheaper.

The one category in which Costa Coffee seems to be better is the food they sell. They have lots of sandwiches, paninis, etc... all sandwiches use brown bread.
+1 have had their coffee in Delhi, at the airport and in their Indiranagar outlet but not really impressed. On my last visit had asked them for a veg roll (for wifey) after confirming that there were no mushrooms as she is allergic, then found mushrooms galore. Thankfully have a habit of checking before letting her eat veg stuff to be sure. But then over all i agree, food is good.

Awesome coffee is served by Gloria Jeans, been hooked on to it for ever since they had their first outlet in Lifestyle, Koramangala.
Go to their Indiranagar outlet atleast once a week.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:22   #1221
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Beijing Bites in Mantri Mall a long time back (forgot to mention it in this thread )

I've been to the place several times before but this time, it was very very VERY disappointing! The fried-rice seemed to be stale and the chicken in the gravy was not done enough. It was horrible!
Old 18th June 2010, 20:30   #1222
BHPian

Shiv Sagar restaurant in Mantri Mall is a big disaster.
We went there around 5:00 PM on a Saturday evening and waited for 30 mins just to get the menu card. After that another 20 mins or so to order. We ordered some chaats.
On an average they are charging something like Rs 45 for all chaats. In fact the least priced chaat is about Rs. 45. The quantity was very less and absolutely not good to eat. We asked for some extra sweet chutney for the kids. They did not bother to get us that but every 10 mins or so they went on asking do we need anything more.
We did not eat anything much, just left everything most of it as it is.
Finally got sick of it and asked for the bill which came in no time and was cleared also in no time.
Inspite of all this, the waiter waited around our table expecting a tip.
I did not tip him any, just walked out.
Went to the New Krishna Bhavan hotel which is opposite to Mantri Mall and had some snacks.
Old 19th June 2010, 08:48   #1223
Senior - BHPian

@ Windride
Guys - need help with the following queries on natti koli (i believe this refers to country chicken?)
No idea on bangalore east, maybe members from that part of town can suggest.
2. what is the advantage of natti koli over broiler chicken? less fat i presume? but i think there is less meat as well correct?
There are no distinct advantages of the bird in question over a commercial broiler, commercial broilers are produced to yield max meat and less wastage, yes the meat content in nati koli is much less compared to a broiler, also the meat is more fibrous in nati koli due to age as well as the kind of feed ingested.
3. Country chicken sold in shops are first burnt with some sort of flame thrower on it. Why do they burn the bird after plucking the feathers? This is not done on broiler chicken.
Any chicken slaughtered in a shop where you retain the skin (as opposed to skin out) is flamed to remove any residual feathers, it is not restricted to nati koli alone.

Hope this clears some of your doubts.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:12   #1224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
@ Windride
No idea on bangalore east, maybe members from that part of town can suggest.
There are no distinct advantages of the bird in question over a commercial broiler, commercial broilers are produced to yield max meat and less wastage, yes the meat content in nati koli is much less compared to a broiler, also the meat is more fibrous in nati koli due to age as well as the kind of feed ingested.
Any chicken slaughtered in a shop where you retain the skin (as opposed to skin out) is flamed to remove any residual feathers, it is not restricted to nati koli alone.

Hope this clears some of your doubts.
Cheers,
Hari.
Advantages of Nati Koli is that it grows up naturally might take year or two. Where as Broiler grows up in a month of two, with excessive use of steroids and other food supplements. Especially you should not eat skin and bones on broiler, which contains most of these medicine which they consume in life time.

I dont think Nati Koli tastes good in Biryani or kabab because of very less flesh. Its tastes best in Curry(Koli Saar). I had eaten Nati Koli biryani in Nandini and other andra resturant, they are fleshy and taste similar to Broiler, when asked they tell chicken comes from Andra so its fleshy. I am not satisfied so i never order anything Nati Koli in resturants, feels its cheating

Have any body bought Nati Koli Eggs from Food world? These are fake ones. They use tea power to make it look brownish. Typical Nati Koli egg yolk should look reddish, but these available in stores in bangalore look yellowish. These are nothing but, small selected farm kolis egg dipped in tea water.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:11   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where as Broiler grows up in a month of two
38-42 days is ideal marketing age

Quote:
with excessive use of steroids and other food supplements. Especially you should not eat skin and bones on broiler, which contains most of these medicine which they consume in life time.
And where did you get this information friend?

Quote:
Have any body bought Nati Koli Eggs from Food world? These are fake ones. They use tea power to make it look brownish. Typical Nati Koli egg yolk should look reddish, but these available in stores in bangalore look yellowish. These are nothing but, small selected farm kolis egg dipped in tea water.
Again could you mention the source of your information?
The brown eggs sold in Foodworld etc are not called nati koli eggs, they are called brown eggs and these are the rejected hatching eggs sourced from farms, rejected doesn't mean they are not edible, they are rejected from being sent to hatch.

If foodworld says they are selling nati koli eggs, they mean it, they can't afford to cheat customers so blatantly. And nobody in my experience has the time to sit and dip eggs in tea to pass of as nati eggs, it cannot be done on a large scale and is not commercially viable.
Old 20th June 2010, 08:58   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
38-42 days is ideal marketing age

And where did you get this information friend?

Again could you mention the source of your information?
The brown eggs sold in Foodworld etc are not called nati koli eggs, they are called brown eggs and these are the rejected hatching eggs sourced from farms, rejected doesn't mean they are not edible, they are rejected from being sent to hatch.

If foodworld says they are selling nati koli eggs, they mean it, they can't afford to cheat customers so blatantly. And nobody in my experience has the time to sit and dip eggs in tea to pass of as nati eggs, it cannot be done on a large scale and is not commercially viable.
The use of steroids in banned in US, European union for Broiler chicken. But you know in India like most laws its also violated. You can just google "Use of steroids and hormones in broiler chicken" you will find all the answers. By the way i am not vegetarian or animal right activist , since in my village my relatives have chicken farms i know a little bit the kind of medication that goes into. A doctor told my cousin not to use skin and bones of broiler since skin contains high cholesterol and bones and skin might contain steroids if its used, when he was diagnosed with high cholesterol.

Food world clearly says Country chicken eggs, i had got it from Indiranagar foodworld 2 years back. when i was in my home town, we had few country chicken and i was regularly eating these eggs, so i can clearly differentiate between country chicken eggs and Farm Chicken eggs. And the tea powder trick i came to know from my servant whose husband used to sell these eggs in Santhe(weekly market). Ya country chicken eggs are not sold in large scale its pretty rare and the price is more than double than normal eggs. So its hugely profitable.

And its easy to trick Bangalore people who had never seen country eggs before. And i have seen shops selling young GiriRaja bread as nati Koli. Just that giriraja has same colors as nati koli but it grows it very fast.

Last edited by shamanth : 20th June 2010 at 09:02.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:06   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can just google "Use of steroids and hormones in broiler chicken" you will find all the answers.
Aah! Google!! I rest my case, sorry I doubted your knowledge.
Cheers,
Hari.
Old 24th June 2010, 07:39   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Sa-na-di-ge is my favorite to take customers from US and Europe to, and they are always pleasantly surprised with a different Indian flavor and cuisine. They do it just right when requested to go light on chillies. They also have a decent veg selection for vegetarians in the entourage.
Went there last night. Food was good overall. The mixed prawn platter was exceptional. The 'bread basket' - appams, sannas et al., Natu koli curry and fish curry were good. Kokum kadi and prawn gassi less so. Service and ambience satisfactory. All in all a good experience. Total including tip and a few beers for three came to 3500/-.

Quote:
Harbor Market on Crescent Road was another good, if a trifle expensive, place to go to for sea food. Alas, no more.
I thought I saw the place lit up on my way to Sa-na-di-ge last night. Can anyone confirm if its reopened?
Old 24th June 2010, 08:57   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harbor Market on Crescent Road was another good, if a trifle expensive, place to go to for sea food. Alas, no more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
I thought I saw the place lit up on my way to Sa-na-di-ge last night. Can anyone confirm if its reopened?
Harbor Market - wasn't this the one owned by filmstar Mohanlal? I had been to Travancore Court (Ernakulam, owned by Mohanlal); they served authentic local cuisine.
Old 24th June 2010, 23:16   #1230
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit View Post
Hey Hatari, even me going to Blore....but a week later than you. Will be there for a couple of days. So the infos you are getting here, am too noting them down.

Hello B'loreans.... where do you get Kannada food ? And what are the specialty dishes which cannot be missed?
(You get pizzas/biriyanis..maybe slight diffnt/kebabs every where). I love food and would not want to miss out on your local favourites.

Pls advise.
Suggi is one place where you can get good karnataka food, Nalpaaka at Vijayanagar gives the best food to eat.

Man....! Bengaluru is one big food fest citym you get good food at most of the places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity View Post
What, I went to the one in mota arcade.. Man, its a waste of money.. If you are looking for food to fill your tummy(lunch), dont go there..

Kabab- 'Fanoos' opposite fatima is also good... Its quite an old one.. When was in school, I used to go there to see the guy toss the rumali roti he makes for the rolls..
The jumbo sheek kabab is ultimate(If a non-veggie).....

Mac, dint like the place for the food.. Just the crowd(some pretty chicks)..
That place . you get down market stuff. if you would have walked 500 mts further RR restaurant would have given you a great lunch Buffet at a great price.

Most Viewed