51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 20:12   #1486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
I am planning on investing 5-10k a month, so I cant particularly say I will bring x amount upfront to the brokerage executive. What is the least brokerage I can bargain for in this situation? I am currentlty offered .49% and 0.049% for delivery and intraday respectively. Should I look elsewhere? I am considering Kotak.
Are you planning a day trading style buy on dips and sell on upward movements with strict stop losses...basically an active trader. Here the brokerage is usually very small less than 0.06%. The kind of brokerages you mention are typically applicable in delivery situations, where you buy and hold either for the short term or long term. I have found that besides the standard rates they publish, they will reduce if you are showing a stock holding exceeding 50lakhs. It could even be as low as 0.20 to 0.25%. Again if you do your trading online (such as Kotak's KEAT platform, etc.) you may get better brokerage rates than call and trade also referred to as offline trading. At the end of the day, stock brokerages business is quite competitive and depending on how much money you show, you can negotiate! It is my understanding that Reliance Money is among the lowest in terms of brokerages and infact offer fixed brokerages with unlimited transaction volume, etc. which is quite innovative and market shaking. It is another matter that people say Reliance availability for live trading is not good. The same was true when ICICI Direct dominated the market initially. They couldnt cope with the load. However, as a platform you could choose any if you are a delivery type trader and ok with your orders as a GFD or good for day, where you expect market to open or behave in a certain manner and place your trade. If you get your levels of buy/sell, great.

On Kotak Securities, their online trading is pretty good and more competitive than ICICI direct. Also their integration (if you have 3 in 1 accounts > savings a/c + demat a/c + trading a/c), then very easy to move your money between equity and cash. Very flexible, competitive on rates. You can get far better reports and research online, great P&L views, etc. Money transfer to and out between trading and bank is easy. I have evaluated quite a few and settled on Kotak. If you bank with HDFC, you can also integrate that too I think. Check it out. Remember, negotiate.

One other thing about Kotak - I found that dealing with Kotak where your relationship is anchored by the bank is far better quality than having your relationship anchored by Kotak Securities, the trading and brokerage division. They have huge attitude. They are safe and good audits so fraud is less likely here. Frustrating from a customer service point of view though.
Old 8th July 2010, 23:20   #1487
BHPian

Interesting thread here. I was wondering how many of you do your own research. And how many follow technicals here, apart from fundamentals. Just curious.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:47   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I was wondering how many of you do your own research. And how many follow technicals here, apart from fundamentals. Just curious.
I am not much of a technicals guy but at the same time remain open to hearing technical analysis on resistance levels etc. as cues. I prefer direct equity to MFs and especially PMS type offerings, not a great experience once. I realize the best advisor is oneself!

My fundamentals based evaluation of what to pick and hold is based on time available - mostly tried and tested A list stocks. If any multi bagger impresses me or available at good level. I go for that. Occasionally a contrarian call has helped too.

I used to watch a lot of Udayan, Money Control, etc. but it is reduced now. I like MyIris.com, NSE BSE Free Intraday Daytrading BTST Swing Trading Tips Investment calls and analyst reports that I come across. I think it helps to invest in a company whose business one understands somewhat. I was advised to stick to 15 odd size of holding as that is the most optimal size one can research actively.
Old 9th July 2010, 09:47   #1489
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is happening with ICICIDirect ? I could not access my account today! They just say that, they regret the inconvenience.
It was on Moneycontrol yesterday - that ICICI direct site is down; I am not a customer, so I did not read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Interesting thread here. I was wondering how many of you do your own research. And how many follow technicals here, apart from fundamentals. Just curious.
I keep a tab on around 25 Cos' fundamentals.

Of which, I do a bit of technicals when I get the cash to buy; and timing the purchase (within a window of 2 weeks), is based on technicals.

I am still building up my portfolio (33% growth over past 3 years).
Old 9th July 2010, 22:08   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thats fantastic! Good for you.
It seems unbelievable given the kind of events we have seen in the last 2 years itself. Three years back my portfolio of equity showed 50% plus gains...got wiped out and I recovered some losses in the post Congress at the center surprise. Now it is back at 40% gains....but the point is equity as an asset class was over 80% 3 years back and now it is barely 25%. Lots of hard work to build back my equity portfolio remains. Am always looking for dips.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:38   #1491
BHPian

I need some lowdown on what to look out for while signing those documents when we open a DEMAT/Trading account. The Executive came down to my place and directly asked me to sign at some 100 places, I was not comfortable doing that. So I took the application booklet telling him that I want to read whats written there first. But, its a whole lot of junk and I am not finding enough time either. Should I bother reading it? Is there anything specific I should check?
Old 12th July 2010, 19:41   #1492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
I need some lowdown on what to look out for while signing those documents when we open a DEMAT/Trading account. The Executive came down to my place and directly asked me to sign at some 100 places, I was not comfortable doing that. So I took the application booklet telling him that I want to read whats written there first. But, its a whole lot of junk and I am not finding enough time either. Should I bother reading it? Is there anything specific I should check?
Check out, if they are asking for POA. AFAIK, recently SEBI has asked not to take POA from the retail investors.
Old 12th July 2010, 20:02   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I realize the best advisor is oneself!

I think it helps to invest in a company whose business one understands somewhat. I was advised to stick to 15 odd size of holding as that is the most optimal size one can research actively.

That's the best thing one can do for himself/herself. Often people follow some others blindly without realizing that their goals and priorities may not be the same. Of course studying reports and listening to others does have benefits as it opens us to new ideas as well as gives as new perspective but only when one knows what he/she wants first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

I keep a tab on around 25 Cos' fundamentals.

Of which, I do a bit of technicals when I get the cash to buy; and timing the purchase (within a window of 2 weeks), is based on technicals.

That's a pretty good performance mate . Wishing you further success.

I don't actually invest or analyse stocks but I follow Nifty and Sensex when I am free.
Old 12th July 2010, 21:40   #1494
BANNED

Hooligan, the poa is basically to enable the broker make and receive deliveries from your demat a/c and also authorising them to sell off your shares if you are holding them on margin. (ie, if you have paid only a part of the shares' value). You are also giving them absolute discretion to fix the margin rates and vary them without notice.

The alternative would be to issue transaction slips (the Demat equivalent of cheques for each transaction. That would be a pain, tince most trades will have to be settled T +3. Unless of course, you will go down to the broker's office for placing each order.

Given situation in the trade, I feel that it is reasonable, but do let me know if I am wrong; and yes, do read that agreement before you sign on the dotted line.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:33   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
in latest dalalstreet magazine, a list is given-where to invest in 2010.
my picks from the list- geodesic-121, federal bank-242
How about bharathi shipyard and royal orchid ?
Old 30th July 2010, 00:19   #1496
Senior - BHPian

@mkh, IMHO it is also called over-valuation. It just cannot keep growing at that rate. What goes up, comes down.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:28   #1497
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How about bharathi shipyard and royal orchid ?
no idea about both of them. cera, again from dalalstreet journal looks good.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:11   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am a casual long term investor ( if there is any such term) ,

Can some one please enlighten what is wrong with ACC and why share prices are being hammered down. All fundamentals look attractive including low PE ratio ? Also cycle is up so should rise along with other infra related shares.

Also what is your view on Karur Vysya Bank , Could not find another small bank with similar profitability , EPS and PE ?

Regards
Old 6th August 2010, 16:03   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Currently, there is overcapacity in the cement industry, because lots of new greenfield cement factories have come up at the same time. Apparently, it might take another 1 - 2 years before demand matches the excess supply.

Karur Vysya Bank is a good choice - Rakesh Jhunjhunwala likes the stock. Expect long term profit growth of around 25% CAGR.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 00:50   #1500
BHPian

Trailing commissions for MF in ICICIDirect

If am investing in mutual funds through ICICIDirect, will i be deducted for trailing commissions ? How is this commission calculated ? Say, If i have a corpus of 10 lakhs, how much might be the outgo as trailing commission per year.

Please advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks