Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 20:09   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

depends on what she is into, But I would suggest tiring them out before flight and in layover so they are calm and sleeping while in flight. And make sure they are suckling on something (lollipop) so ear pressure is balanced. ear infections because of low air pressure after a long flight are very common in kids.
Old 25th May 2012, 20:10   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys, I have a long travel coming up with family. Its almost 24 hour journey, with nearly 18 hours of flying.
Could you please recommend any movies or videos that i can get to keep my 1 and 3 year old daughters occupied? The in-flight entertainment might be enough to keep them occupied for a while but for the 5-6 hours layover, it would be good if they have something to watch on the laptop.

Thanks,
Amitoj
For the stopover, wouldnt it be better to get them running around? Movies can be used for inflight entertainment. Where is your stopover?

Main airports do have a child activity centre
Old 25th May 2012, 20:17   #603
Team-BHP Support

Question to all Parents (especially those in Bangalore) -

Is it normal for infants/toddlers in Bangalore to fall sick often, considering the weather/water? My 20 month old son has, on an average, made atleast one visit to the doctor every month - fever, diarrhea, bronchitis, urinary tract infection, common cold, vomiting, stomach upset and what not.

He is a bit underweight at 8.5 kgs. We have gone to 4 or 5 pediatricians, and all of them say that all kids fall sick often, and this is nothing to worry about.

Your opinion?
Old 25th May 2012, 20:22   #604
Senior - BHPian

Tiring them out and making them go to sleep is ideal. There is always this phase where kids are sleepy but dont want to sleep. They fight it tooth and nail. Thats when such things come handy in calming them down.

The layover is in Heathrow. I have not seen a play area for kids there.

As for what they are into, anything that sings and dances. Babyfirst TV and CBeebies is what they have been watching till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Is it normal for infants/toddlers in Bangalore to fall sick often, considering the weather/water? My 20 month old son has, on an average, made atleast one visit to the doctor every month - fever, diarrhea, bronchitis, urinary tract infection, common cold, vomiting, stomach upset and what not.

He is a bit underweight at 8.5 kgs. We have gone to 4 or 5 pediatricians, and all of them say that all kids fall sick often, and this is nothing to worry about.

Your opinion?
Same was the case with my daughter also, although her ailments were not this varied. She would fall sick due to cough and cold. A different medicine from a different doctor has given her some relief.

But diarrhea, UTI and bronchitis i dont think are very common. Are they?

Last edited by amitoj : 25th May 2012 at 20:25.
Old 25th May 2012, 23:12   #605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Same was the case with my daughter also, although her ailments were not this varied. She would fall sick due to cough and cold. A different medicine from a different doctor has given her some relief.

But diarrhea, UTI and bronchitis i dont think are very common. Are they?
After diarrhea struck for the first time, the doc asked us to boil water for 20 mins before giving it to the baby. That worked, but whenever we took him to a different city, it would strike again (different water I guess).

UTI has struck only once - most probably because we didn't change the diaper for 2 hours (on a road trip). But now we have reduced diaper usage drastically and we keep checking on it every 30 mins or 1 hour.

Bronchitis is apparently very common among kids in Bangalore - usually strikes when there is a sudden change in weather (hot to cold/rainy). That's why every pediatrician has a "nebulization machine" and I have seen parents gassing their kids with it. Bronchitis has struck twice so far, and it is quite scary - because kids have difficulty breathing.
Old 26th May 2012, 01:26   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Is it normal for infants/toddlers in Bangalore to fall sick often, considering the weather/water?
My daughter who is 3 years old now used to catch a cold quite often earlier. However, other friends had told us that this was common, and by the age of 3, she would develop resistance to these, and not fall sick as often.

I guess its all a matter of time, and some amount of care from our side.
Old 26th May 2012, 22:23   #607
BHPian

SC, yes, common thanks to Bangalore climate.

Fever, Runny nose, Cold, Cough, etc etc and all related :-) will increase when you child starts playschool.

Suggestion :
a) Influenza vaccine - this is an annual vaccine. You will notice a visible difference within 2/3 months.

b) Buy a Cipla Huf-Puf Kit + Asthalin from a medical store and keep it handy - home and travel.

Quote:
After diarrhea struck for the first time, the doc asked us to boil water for 20 mins before giving it to the baby. That worked, but whenever we took him to a different city, it would strike again (different water I guess).

UTI has struck only once - most probably because we didn't change the diaper for 2 hours (on a road trip). But now we have reduced diaper usage drastically and we keep checking on it every 30 mins or 1 hour.

Bronchitis is apparently very common among kids in Bangalore - usually strikes when there is a sudden change in weather (hot to cold/rainy). That's why every pediatrician has a "nebulization machine" and I have seen parents gassing their kids with it. Bronchitis has struck twice so far, and it is quite scary - because kids have difficulty breathing.

Last edited by MuraliR : 26th May 2012 at 22:24.
Old 27th May 2012, 15:05   #608
BHPian

similar situations , my kid also went through this runny nose and still has it sometimes and the first couple of times was very scary , but now the frequency has come down and shes cooperative for steaming when it comes round the last time, .So dont worry as all things with kids , this too shall pass
Old 28th May 2012, 11:53   #609
Team-BHP Support

OK thanks - just showed this thread to my wife, and I think she's a bit relieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post

Suggestion :
a) Influenza vaccine - this is an annual vaccine. You will notice a visible difference within 2/3 months.
Already given!

Quote:
b) Buy a Cipla Huf-Puf Kit + Asthalin from a medical store and keep it handy - home and travel.
Yes, we have bought a nebulizer kit too - and we do use it ocassionally.
Old 28th May 2012, 13:08   #610
BHPian

the medicine i was asked to put in my nebulizer makes my kid cough up a lot more and go a bit drowsy ,but that was a while back , now its just down to steaming if she ever gets a blocked nose
Old 28th May 2012, 13:51   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question to all Parents (especially those in Bangalore)
I am not in Bangalore, but this is pretty much par for the course. Have you checked with the doc if any tests need to done for specific allergies (dust, pollen etc). As it does not involve boils/ speckles near the mouth this would not really be food related.

Quote:
Tiring them out and making them go to sleep is ideal. There is always this phase where kids are sleepy but dont want to sleep. They fight it tooth and nail. Thats when such things come handy in calming them down.
yeah, thats the worst part. When my son travels, he needs a lot of physical activity before dozing off. His first flight was a direct one to London and though he was sleepy he refused to shut his eyes or watch any telly/ laptop/ games. Just before the descent to LHR was announced, he threw a tantrum (he was 18 months or so). A kind airhostess asked if she could help with anything and this guy in the middle of his tantrum asks for the windows to be opened!
Sorry for OT, but just remembered this incident. Ever since then I have tried to get a stopver where he can run or jog (supervised) or at least play around a bit. Even then I ensure that he plays enough before leaving for the airport; every little bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Fever, Runny nose, Cold, Cough, etc etc and all related :-) will increase when you child starts playschool.
yeah thats a pain; these kids trade viruses in playschool/ nursery/ KG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
the medicine i was asked to put in my nebulizer makes my kid cough up a lot more and go a bit drowsy ,but that was a while back , now its just down to steaming if she ever gets a blocked nose
Have you been asked to try saline nasal drops for your child? This may be a specific recommendation by our doctor, so please check with yours.

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th May 2012 at 13:55.
Old 28th May 2012, 16:47   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you do not mind, please make a trip to Dr. Raghupathy P (MBBS, MD, DCH, FRCP Paediatric Endocrinology) in Sagar Hospital in Jayanagar or/and Jagdish Chinappa in Langford Road.

Is it normal or not? well it depends on various factors and its best to let good doctors decide that.

Our daughter is underweight (lower than lower 5 percentile on the weight chart) and consulting with them helped remove our fears. One point i would like to bring up here, neither of them gave any medications only healthy eating and things to avoid options, consulting them did not cost us a bomb, and no tests were needed.

My advise, do not start on any vitamins or any medication just yet.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th May 2012 at 16:54.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:02   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am not in Bangalore, but this is pretty much par for the course. Have you checked with the doc if any tests need to done for specific allergies (dust, pollen etc). As it does not involve boils/ speckles near the mouth this would not really be food related.
Went to a chest physician because of his frequent bronchitis attacks - and got a confirmation that it is not chronic bronchitis. No asthma or lung issues either (confirmed via X-rays and a few tests). Also checked for allergies - especially for lactose intolerance. Again negative.

Quote:

Have you been asked to try saline nasal drops for your child? This may be a specific recommendation by our doctor, so please check with yours.
Haha! My son fights tooth and nail when we try to put saline drops - including but not limited to kicking, screaming, biting and yelling. Eventually the liquid goes into all places except the nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
If you do not mind, please make a trip to Dr. Raghupathy P (MBBS, MD, DCH, FRCP Paediatric Endocrinology) in Sagar Hospital in Jayanagar or/and Jagdish Chinappa in Langford Road.
Will do, thanks.

Quote:

Our daughter is underweight (lower than lower 5 percentile on the weight chart) and consulting with them helped remove our fears. One point i would like to bring up here, neither of them gave any medications only healthy eating and things to avoid options, consulting them did not cost us a bomb, and no tests were needed.
Anything you can share regarding the healthy diet bit for underweight toddlers? I'm pretty sure what's applicable to your daughter must be applicable to my son too.

Does anybody have an opinion on giving crushed Tulasi leaves or honey or other home made remedies to kids?
Old 28th May 2012, 17:14   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anything you can share regarding the healthy diet bit for underweight toddlers? I'm pretty sure what's applicable to your daughter must be applicable to my son too.

Does anybody have an opinion on giving crushed Tulasi leaves or honey or other home made remedies to kids?
, This is the toughest part as i do not monitor her eating closely, but here is a gist of things my wife does.
  • Ginger, Tulsi, Turmeric (Specifically Kachhi Haldi), all help in fighting cold. No harm in giving it, either with Honey or Milk whatever the kid prefers.
  • Pachkoda (Note : Not Pakora ), with rice and ghee helps against cold and general respiratory infections. I have no idea how it is made, we get it from Raipur, can give you some if you need.
  • Some kids/adults are anti curd. If you have noticed that curd aggravates it further stop giving curd at night.
  • Dry fruits in whatever form help in gaining some weight albeit slow. Please read my earlier post on weight and our learnings post #563, #538.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:15   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha! My son fights tooth and nail when we try to put saline drops - including but not limited to kicking, screaming, biting and yelling. Eventually the liquid goes into all places except the nose.
The same situation played out at my place too initially. Then I got a bottle for myself (adult saline solution) and asked my son to put the drops for me. When he put it, I wrinkled my nose and pulled a funny face to show the irritation. We did this for a few days before he wanted to show his funny face to his mom. He turned up at his bedside with his nasal drops and a big laugh.
Edit: I am not saying it will pan out the same way, but it could

The problem is if we hold their hands or make them lie down for any medicine there is going to be hell to pay for! Maybe they equate it to vaccination time at the doctor's clinic.

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th May 2012 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks