Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 17:19   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

We bought a doctor's toy kit for my Son when he was 2. After he became familiar with the tools, he liked when the doctor used stethoscope etc.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:51   #617
Senior - BHPian

My kid is going to be a fussy eater.
She is 7 months old.
And she only likes eating boiled mashed apples.

Not only that she can recognize apple varieties. Only Washington (Those Deep red shiny ones) apples for her. Peeled ,boiled and mashed. Yesterday I tried feeding her Fiji(Pink ones) apples and she spat it out.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:50   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Buy a Cipla Huf-Puf Kit + Asthalin from a medical store and keep it handy - home and travel.
Asthalin is an anti asthmatic with side effects if used excessively. So unless your kid has been diagnosed to be having Asthma, do not use it regularly for a common cold.

The common cold is viral and is self limiting. Please don't take it too seriously unless your kid's got considerable breathing difficulty.
Old 28th May 2012, 19:10   #619
BHPian

I am looking for a feeding chair for an year old kid. The ones at KFC and Mcd's are i think good. Can anyone suggest some tried and tested options here

2. Where can i find these chair/s in blr?
Old 28th May 2012, 19:19   #620
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the tips, everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
My kid is going to be a fussy eater.
She is 7 months old.
And she only likes eating boiled mashed apples.
Have you tried giving her Cerelac (Stage 1)?

You could also try Rice mashed in a mixie, and add either Rasam or Curds to it.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:41   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra
I am looking for a feeding chair for an year old kid. The ones at KFC and Mcd's are i think good. Can anyone suggest some tried and tested options here

2. Where can i find these chair/s in blr?
Mothercare in indiranagar has good ones in all price range. We bought one from there now its lying somewhere.

My suggestion, skip it and save some money. Since we had bought my daughter hardly ate sitting quietly on it for few months. Later she preferred the indipendence of running around and eating.

BTW, same applies to pram (and sling) she never sat on it, worse it was such a pain to fold that huge thing and fit it in the boot.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 28th May 2012 at 20:44.
Old 28th May 2012, 20:57   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Asthalin is an anti asthmatic with side effects if used excessively. So unless your kid has been diagnosed to be having Asthma, do not use it regularly for a common cold.

The common cold is viral and is self limiting. Please don't take it too seriously unless your kid's got considerable breathing difficulty.
Agreed Geo. It was only a suggestion for those using a nebuliser and had to visit the clinic each time.

There is an alarming rise in B'lore children with respiratory disorders.

In my son's case, this was prescribed by the Doc.

Tulasi Leaves, Honey work well.

Add "Coleus aromaticus" to the list. Can be just chewed. Or, crush and add to boiling water with Tulsi leaves, and give the concentrate to child.

Last edited by MuraliR : 28th May 2012 at 21:05.
Old 28th May 2012, 21:06   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Mothercare in indiranagar has good ones in all price range. We bought one from there now its lying somewhere.

My suggestion, skip it and save some money. Since we had bought my daughter hardly ate sitting quietly on it for few months. Later she preferred the indipendence of running around and eating.

BTW, same applies to pram (and sling) she never sat on it, worse it was such a pain to fold that huge thing and fit it in the boot.
Thanks for the advice. A similar story happened with the baby carrier, don't know where its lying
Old 28th May 2012, 22:00   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra

Thanks for the advice. A similar story happened with the baby carrier, don't know where its lying
Our kid surprised us by sitting docilely in the high chair when we went out a couple of times. Then we bought a top end high chair worth 6.5k on heavy discount but sir will do everything except sit peacefully in it. This kinda stuff is best hand me down than bought high end yourself!!
Old 28th May 2012, 22:02   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Agreed Geo. It was only a suggestion for those using a nebuliser and had to visit the clinic each time.

There is an alarming rise in B'lore children with respiratory disorders.

In my son's case, this was prescribed by the Doc.

Tulasi Leaves, Honey work well.

Add "Coleus aromaticus" to the list. Can be just chewed. Or, crush and add to boiling water with Tulsi leaves, and give the concentrate to child.
Bengaluru has always been known for allergies. Dry air with pollen etc. Now with man made pollution. With the arrival of rains, it should come down. Nothing to worry and people living here for long have acquired resistance to it.
Old 29th May 2012, 00:07   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Thanks for the tips, everybody!

Have you tried giving her Cerelac (Stage 1)?

You could also try Rice mashed in a mixie, and add either Rasam or Curds to it.
I really don't trust these MNC products.
Just give her that occasionally so that when travelling in trains she will eat that.

I "try" to give her rice starch, Boiled Dal water, thin soaked crust of chappati, Mashed khichdi with carrots and beans. Of course not at same time. We do keep rotating the schedule.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:42   #627
BANNED

Save our Kids!

Hi Bhpns,

Mods:Please move thread if its already discussed.

This thread is purely non auto thread and wanted to post after reading today’s times of India.

2nd time unlucky, 5-yr-old drowns in lift pit - The Times of India

How to save our Kids ?We are seeing every day about kids are the victims of manmade traps.

Here are few samples

1) Open Bore wells.

2) Uncovered Ponds, water well.

3) Home water sumps (Every month we can see water sump deaths in Bangalore and its alarming)

4) Construction sites.

5)Overloaded and unprofessional way of handling school vehicles(Past we Have seen during monsoon several incidents where school bus drove into rivers)

6) Kids falling from balcony due to low protection grills.

7)Electrical accidents(All over Bangalore Bescom wires and switches are hanging at poles bottom without insulator.(Street Light and traffic light control switches and cables)

Apart from this there are lots of other reasons and please share.
Even after several incidents why there is no serious action or law to prevent such incidents.

Who is responsible for such incidents? As a responsible citizen of India what’s our duties and
responsibilities?

How can we create awareness about such incidents so that people can take preventive measure.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:17   #628
Senior - BHPian

Re: Save our Kids!

The borewells and un protected wells are ponds needs to be under surveillance audit of local authorities. Effective governance from local body establishments should require approval from borewell companies and compliances needs to be charted out.

Being corrupted government engine, not sure how much of success we could make. Even if the governance structure is made, the officials and politicians only use it to milk money from culprits and leave the victims to suffer.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:35   #629
Senior - BHPian

Re: Save our Kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
1) Open Bore wells.

2) Uncovered Ponds, water well.

3) Home water sumps (Every month we can see water sump deaths in Bangalore and its alarming)

4) Construction sites.

5)Overloaded and unprofessional way of handling school vehicles(Past we Have seen during monsoon several incidents where school bus drove into rivers)

6) Kids falling from balcony due to low protection grills.

7)Electrical accidents(All over Bangalore Bescom wires and switches are hanging at poles bottom without insulator.(Street Light and traffic light control switches and cables)

Apart from this there are lots of other reasons and please share.
Even after several incidents why there is no serious action or law to prevent such incidents.

Who is responsible for such incidents? As a responsible citizen of India what’s our duties and
responsibilities?

How can we create awareness about such incidents so that people can take preventive measure.
Welcome to INDIA, where were you living the last few years ? US or Europe, right ? How come you forgot INDIA ? Or maybe you are a new father, right?

Do you seriously think that these are the death traps for our children ? No way. Please check the schools, teachers, us parents and our lifestyles and our expectations on our children before coming into a mundane event (yes, that is very insensitive of me).

Only hope to save your own children is educating them yourselves on every safety parameter and once they get the drift, they are too smart not to venture out on anything stupid like the incidents you have quoted. Our kids are much much more smarter in this than the western kids.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 2nd July 2012 at 23:39.
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:24   #630
Senior - BHPian

I initially thought western countries were paranoid about keeping the kids in sight all the time, But now it sounds like a necessary evil.

At least in US:
1. Although trespassers are not protected by law except intentional harm (boobytraps), kids are completely protected specially if your property has anything that might attract them (swimming pools etc). By protected I mean the property owner is liable for any damage to life or limbs and thus has incentive to put child locks everywhere.
2. Second and more important, the parents will be arrested for negligence and child endangerment, and hence have a strong incentive to never leave kids alone. That makes a big business for childcare/baby sitters.

Unfortunately this all adds cost and in India it's difficult to preach this for a worker who hardly earns his meal after a day at work. Don't we see no respect for human life elsewhere, specially on the roads. Not to mention a lack of law and order that's a prerequisite for such a system to work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks