Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2015, 14:33   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
Great acting by the lead actors and if you liked 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' this might well be worth the time.

Films are based on the Danish author Jussi Adler-Olsen’s Department Q Crime Novels.
Slightly OT: A big THANK YOU for introducing me to Department Q. Have got the books and is now starting with the first one. Will watch movies after I finish the books.
PS: I am a big fan of Lisbeth - I even named my Duke after her

--Anoop
Old 17th November 2015, 15:28   #6242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Slightly OT: A big THANK YOU for introducing me to Department Q. Have got the books and is now starting with the first one. Will watch movies after I finish the books.
PS: I am a big fan of Lisbeth - I even named my Duke after her

--Anoop

hav't read the books.The movies made a really good watch. I really like the Scandinavian settings of winter and silence - makes the perfect backdrop for mystery and crime.
Old 17th November 2015, 16:56   #6243
BHPian

Some movies from the 1970's with how i'd rate them:

All the presidents men (1976). Is on the watergate scandal. 5/5
The parallax view (1974; Political thriller). 3.5/5
Three days of the condor (1975; thriller). 4/5
Z (1969; French; political thriller; Dir: Costa Gavras). 5/5
Etat de siege (1972; French; political thriller; Dir: Costa Gavras). 3.5/5

Serials-
Endeavour (prequel to Inspector Morse). Class act and a must watch.
The Hinterland (noir. Is a Welsh serial).
Man in the High castle. (Based on the book but this one has its own story arc)
Mr. Robot (ohh the twists in this one will keep you on edge)
Old 17th November 2015, 18:26   #6244
BHPian

Thanks to incessant rains in Chennai. Got 2 days leave. Used the time to catch up some movies. Two to be precise. Both being spy movies.
1. Spy - 5 out of 10. Didn't like the movie. Started off kind of ok. But tested my patience to complete the same. Lots Of Foul language doesn't make a movie super cool.
2. The man from UNCLE. - 8 out of 10. Now this is the kind if movie I enjoyed watching after long time. The action humour style music and dialogues are class apart. Except for the climax which seems little prolonged I really enjoyed the movie. I really loved the scene which has has the dialogue "how is that for entertainment?"
Do watch it if you get a chance
Old 20th November 2015, 14:12   #6245
BHPian

SPECTRE - SPECTACULARLY GUTTED

I was one of the unfortunate ones who waited for years and then went to watch the premiere show.

Fans and even non-fans you can easily avoid watching this movie or atleast don't spend much over watching this one. It should a must watch for upcoming 007 director's on How not to make a bond movie

No spoilers here but some facts - don't worry it won't ruin your movie watching experience because there is anyway no experience this time

So why do we like Bond movies

Fast and Adrenaline rushing through scenes - SPECTRE fails in this department miserably. Thoroughly slow movie with so much predictability and a super lagging first half. Yes few people might want to get out of interval unfortunately i am a fan so couldn't do that

Cars - Oh well, heard they spend 35 million or so on cars. Really?? Well the Aston Martin and the Jaguar are a treat to watch no doubt and probably the only 6 good minutes of the movies but the chase still leaves you wanting for more. And yeah all the hype about DB10, well it was used to go on a date as an after thought in the end. Was it really needed?

Girls - First time ever 007 with elder sister and motherly type women and on top Indian censor board did the rest. for all the hype for Monica Bellucci - well you blink your eye and you miss her and by the way she gets 4 sentences in the movies

The First Scene - One can easily say this opening sequence is probably the slowest ever shown in the history of Bond movies (yes i am including even older movies here).

Other Things

The Plot - a good way to connect the dots between all Daniel Craig movies. Great thought but very poorly executed. Won't talk much on this just in case any of you are going

Pain points

The Villain - Well no comments here. The less said the better.

Thank you for letting me vent out. You know the movie is not up to the mark when they refer Bond as assassin and not a spy and he agrees.

Don't have words. I am ready to wait for 5 years for another Bond movie but for god sake please don't give us such movies.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2015 at 15:07. Reason: Please do not discuss sequences from the movie on this thread. Absolutely ZERO spoilers! Thanks!
Old 20th November 2015, 14:56   #6246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
SPECTRE - SPECTACULARLY GUTTED
After this and this I am thinking I will go and watch 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E' on dvd.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:28   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
for all the hype for Monica Bellucci - well you blink your eye and you miss her and by the way she gets 4 sentences in the movies
Is it only me or did others also notice that her nose is disfigured? Her left nostril is higher than her right
It is a timepass movie and the plot seemed silly to me.
Old 20th November 2015, 16:18   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
May I suggest a few of my favorites:

The man from earth
Salmon fishing in the Yemen
The best exotic marigold hotel
Children of men
GATTACA
Harry brown
Gattaca is brilliant movie. Too bad its grossly underrated. Somehow didn't like Children of Men when I saw it (as a single in 2007), not sure if it changes now (as a father of 2).

Am skeptical trying Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, whats the closest movie you'll rate it to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Here's another 'offbeat' I would suggest if you liked that:
Moonrise Kingdom
All Wes Anderson movies are like that. I've seen Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom, Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore. They all have very unconventional characters shot in an unconventional way. Am biased towards Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom for their narration.
Old 20th November 2015, 16:32   #6249
Distinguished - BHPian

Faster
Fastest

These two had me rushing home everyday in anticipation. Especially after the season we've had, watching rossi grow younger was exhilarating!!
-er is His battles against biaggi. Brilliant!
5/5

-est is His battles 8 years on against lorenzo and marc. The torment of SIC.
Brilliant!!
5/5

Watch this for the brilliance of the man, the brutality of racing(fr'instance, the amount of injuries, and their severity, you cant get that through the news. Here its pretty much from the horses mouth.).
What you cant fail to notice is that a movie made in 2003 shows the rise of a god. And a movie made 7-8 years later, is still talking about him contending! Brilliant!

I would have loved to do a marathon of Faster, fastest, and hitting the apex. 7 hours of pure rush! Do that if you can.

Still have to find doctor/kentucky kid one.
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:35   #6250
Team-BHP Support

Caught up with The Equalizer this weekend - 8/10

Denzel Washington, a retired Black Ops veteran vs the Russian Mafia set in Boston. Ever since I watched Keanu Reeves’ John Wick couple of weeks back, my friend was suggesting this one and I liked it. Absolutely loved the kill sequences in the movie - was rewinding and watching a few of them just for the guilty pleasure of watching the bad guys die a brutal death! The last 40 minutes = kickass!

PS: Viewer discretion advised esp. if elderlies and kids are around (expletives).
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:17   #6251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
After this and this I am thinking I will go and watch 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E' on dvd.
And I will still watch Spectre . Its a healthy 7.2 on IMDB. The rating would not matter much though. I am not in it for the cars or the action or the hot chicks .. It is good that we have a story these days with Bond rather than an English version of Rohit Shetty.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - Gorgeous Movie, do not miss it for anything! Typical Guy Ritchie movie .. Can watch RocknRolla as well.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 23rd November 2015 at 13:19.
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:51   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And I will still watch Spectre . ..
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Oh .. I finished both over the weekend, UNCLE on dvd and Spectre in Imax.
Found Spectre decent enough, possibly a couple of notches down from 'Skyfall', yet quite watchable with them trying to conjure up Bond's back story and also trying linking all four episodes (which kind of became rushed).
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:03   #6253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Its a healthy 7.2 on IMDB. The rating would not matter much though.
With IMDB its the top rated user reviews that are the benchmark not the overall rating. Case of point: Prometheus, it has a rating of 7.0, but look at the first few top rated user reviews (my personal favorite is the one titled 'Where no idiot has gone before' ).
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:05   #6254
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed Spectre. Left my brain at home, and enjoyed the timepass adventure that it is. Some scenes are silly even by Bond standards but "theek hai", its Bond

Definitely watchable masala flick - at least once, for a the non-serious viewer.
Old 23rd November 2015, 20:12   #6255
BHPian

Being a hardcore Bond fan, right from the Connery days, Spectre was an absolute nightmare.

Poor screenplay. Haphazard direction. Waste of such a brilliant actor as Christoph Waltz. Gutted, to say the least.

I'm actually relieved that Mendes won't be returning for the next one. Just hope Craig declines to play Bond 25 as well. He has become very inconsistent with his performances. It's time for something afresh. Mendes, in his future movies, could perhaps do with some sunlight and not make a goth-like movie such as this.

Monica Belluci and Christoph Waltz were humiliated when it comes to screen time. Dave Bautista is barely terrifying or fear imposing. He doesn't even get a dialogue!

If you're a Bond fan, avoid this. You'll probably end up being absolutely horrified and disgusted with what you've just seen.

Ian Fleming must be turning in his grave for sure!

Last edited by barcalad : 23rd November 2015 at 20:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks