Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:08   #8686
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Gray Man owing to so many posts here and Ryan Gosling being in it. Rated it 6 on 10. Turned out to be one of those movies one has to watch just because Gosling's in it. Could have been a much much better flick if they really wanted to do it that way.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th August 2022 at 14:04. Reason: Retaining the movie part here. The bit on The Old Man is copied to the series thread. Thanks!
Old 25th July 2022, 20:56   #8687
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Get Out" on Prime and it was worth it.
Would rate it 4/5 for the suspence and novelty of the storyline.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th July 2022 at 20:57.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:05   #8688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
What role? He seemed to be in the movie as an afterthought, seemingly as favour to him or most likely string pulling by somebody big from the production side to get him in an English movie.

He was ridiculous/out of place in the role and should have done better for himself by not taking up this kind of nonsensical stuff. Taking this kind of role reduces respect, makes him look like a nincompoop and a person who is desperate to get a part in an English movie.

Cheers

I thought that the movie got its casting wrong with three characters. One was the guy playing the CIA bad guy, absolutely miscast! Just didn’t look the part. Second was that of Wagner Moura! Why did he have to do this part of all? If any one has seen Narcos, this is the guy who literally portrays Pablo Escobar frame to frame! And the last was Dhanush, he just didn’t fit in to the scheme of things and to make it worse there is supposed to be a humane angle to his character in spite of him being a hit man! Just didn’t make sense in a movie that had Chris evans playing another baddie to the extreme. It looks like the strategy to get Dhanush on board was purely to market Netflix to the Indian audience, just look at all the promotions the Russo brothers had done in India with Dhanush.

Overall, I liked the film, it was good fun, but very forgettable. No where in the league of Jason bourne or other such movies.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 08:12   #8689
Distinguished - BHPian

The Batman starring Robert Pattinson is available on Amazon Prime without any rental.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20220727_081049.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 06:38   #8690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The Batman starring Robert Pattinson is available on Amazon Prime without any rental.
I've watched about an hour of the movie and not really liking it. The cinematography is too dark to my liking. And it can't beat the Christopher Nolan - Christian Bale trilogy. Let's see if I'm able to finish it off.
Old 28th July 2022, 10:20   #8691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've watched about an hour of the movie and not really liking it. The cinematography is too dark to my liking. And it can't beat the Christopher Nolan - Christian Bale trilogy. Let's see if I'm able to finish it off.
You are doing it wrong. You should be comparing it to Clooney's Batman

It was all things considered a good movie and Pattinson really did pull off being Batman. Not a great Bruce Wayne but Batman yes.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:24   #8692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
You are doing it wrong. You should be comparing it to Clooney's Batman
Did George Clooney also play Batman at some point of time?

I remember Michael Keaton and Val Kilmer. But Clooney?
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:27   #8693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Heh Heh. You can be forgiven for not knowing that. It was a horrible casting and even George Clooney admits to that in later interviews

It has an amazing rating of 3.7/10 on imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/

Old 28th July 2022, 10:54   #8694
BHPian

Quote:

Clooney may not be remembered for his Batman role, But his Batsuit is the most (in)famous one
Old 28th July 2022, 11:46   #8695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shared the same views a few pages back. This movie is inevitably compared to the Nolan trilogy, and is not even within miles of any those, from any angle and in any manner. Robert Pattison is a terrible casting idea - whoever thought of this really needs to revisit his career choices.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:47   #8696

Quote:

Attachment 2338926
This was such a borefest. Dim/dark lighting, dialogues spoken in mumbling tones, again a crazy villain who again holds a grudge against the hero, batman in always a melancholic mood with two wifi antennas on his head. The bat mobile spends 10 seconds rumbling on starting with jet like flames spurting out but cannot chase a normal car. Batmans techs look outdated, penguin is wasted as a clown who is smarter than Batman and Gordon (rat with wings is a Bat not a penguin as assumed by our two heroes). The climax of flooding just dies on its own , the list continues.

Why batman movies always have the same styling and characters who are always shown as undergoing depression. Nolan made these such fun but the last two have been absolute disasters.
Old 28th July 2022, 13:02   #8697
BHPian

I found the movie to be good.

The producers knew that it will be compared with Nolan' trilogy the day they even announce it but still went ahead. And once you keep that masterpiece aside and review this objectively, it is a good movie.

Few points that were good:
  • The music was good and had the vibes of a horror thriller genre to it. It added a whole new layer to the movie.
  • How they have shown the Batman as someone who is in the early stages driven with anger and vengeance but understands that he can be much more.
  • They have tried to show that the Riddler and the Batman are basically the same person but at two extremes.
  • Few characters like Penguin was well made and has enough scope to grow.
  • They did not show the iconic scene of Batman's parents' death but the pain was shown through another kid losing his father (the mayor).
  • Batman actually takes time to go back and review things, showing why he is the World's Greatest Detective
Few that could have been better:
  • Batman' relationship with Alfred and all could have been shown better.
  • Screen time for Bruce Wayne was less.
  • The climax sequence in the town hall was not convincing.

All in all, I would have loved to see this movie on the big screen. It was a miss. It laid a good foundation for the true Batman that will come in future (possibly with Mr. Fox and his fancy gadgets). Don't know why many disliked it but maybe people assume superhero movie should be all colorful with big explosions, comedy sprinkled in here and there, and a damsel in distress to save.
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:34   #8698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
Don't know why many disliked it but maybe people assume superhero movie should be all colorful with big explosions, comedy sprinkled in here and there, and a damsel in distress to save.
A resounding yes to that. Of course I expect there to be liberal histrionics in any well made superhero movie. That is kind of the whole point of one, in my view. That said, the Nolan trilogy were absolute masterpieces from multiple angles, not the least of which were well crafted anti-hero/ antagonist characters. Joker and Bane - two of the most compelling and chilling performances in recent times, and solidly weaved into the narratives of the respective movies.

As someone put it, the latest Batman was an absolute borefest with a pathetic protagonist, a sorry apology of an antagonist and overall had zero points of attraction for me personally.

Happy to know that it did find a audience though.
Old 28th July 2022, 20:17   #8699
Senior - BHPian

Nolan Trilogy are the best batman movies ever. Even Batman begins which doesn't get as much love as other 2 was really well made and showed his ascendance from Bruce Wayne to Batman in a compelling way.

As for The Batman.
I saw it in IMAX when it came.
I had my expectations correct knowing it won't be able to match Nolan movies. As a standalone i felt its quite good. It shows the time when Batman was finding his feet as Batman. He is gaining experience and learning how to fight criminals. Pattinson did a decent job and in coming sequels they have the potential of doing much better.

Also, in my experience there are many movies which we enjoy and like more on big screen rather than at home.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:04   #8700
BHPian

Quote:
That's amazing grit, am not even able go past 10 mins jokes aside, I realised this movie needs to be watched with lights off, no one around to disturb and something to munch 'slowly' - just like the batman way

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks