Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2019, 21:43   #3871
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

An update about my Seiko 5 Sports Automatic (last post on this was on page 256) - for what ever it may be worth.

I got another 7S36C movement off ebay.com, and got it installed in my watch. The movement is working like clock-work ! The watch is no great shakes compared to the exotics posted in this thread, but I am feeling so happy just to have it back on my wrist.

On another note, wanted to share something that happened along the way. Please note that this hindsight and a try-to-put-pieces-together, and I may be wrong. Before getting the full movement, I had given the watch to a watch repair shop in Jayanagar 9th block. They had kept it for long durations, and said they were trying out things and keeping it under observation. They gave it back at one point, saying that the centre wheel has gone bad and that they did not have the part.

I looked around online for the part, and the part was listed by a couple of sellers. I checked the part numbers, and matched it for the movement # in my watch. I quite remember that the movement in my watch to be a 7S36C.

The delivery was to be in UK, but Royal mail misplaced the packet, and I could not get the part for this movement. The seller offered (for free) the part for the 7S36B movement asking me to try it out. The part numbers for the two movements was different, and we had expected it not to work. And so it was - the part did not work with my watch. And the watch returned to my desk, to sit idle.

I could not give up this one. So I looked around, and ordered a full movement from ebay.com. A friend coming across got it for me. While waiting to go to the watch shop, I happened to check the watch and the new movement. Was surprised to see the (old) movement inside the watch to be showing a 7S36B movement.

Pic of the movement taken out of the watch:

Which watch do you own?-seiko7s36b.jpg

So what really happened ? Did my original movement get swapped somewhere ? I havent given the watch anywhere else.

btw, the bottom surface of my watch is transparent. Hence I can see the movement # without opening it up.

Last edited by condor : 29th May 2019 at 21:44.
Old 30th May 2019, 02:44   #3872

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
An update about my Seiko 5 Sports Automatic (last post on this was on page 256) - for what ever it may be worth.
Mine is also a Seiko 5 Sports Automatic 23 Jewel and the movement dial inside is 7S36B. Did you able to get it work now with newly acquired 7S36C?
Old 30th May 2019, 05:55   #3873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshithr View Post
Mine is also a Seiko 5 Sports Automatic 23 Jewel and the movement dial inside is 7S36B. Did you able to get it work now with newly acquired 7S36C?
Yes, it is working fine. It was a straight swap.

The 7S36B & 7S36C are of same dimensions. When did you get your Seiko ? Mine is from 2011.

Last edited by condor : 30th May 2019 at 05:57.
Old 30th May 2019, 10:51   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hello Bhpians,

Does any of you own a Omologato wrist watch? It's perhaps the only watch manufacturer with Automobile history!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
If you like automobile inspired watches, check out [b][url="https://www.autodromo.com/watches/"]Autodromo
Actually, there are quite a few other brands that are automotive inspired in terms of their designs. Two relatively new but high quality brands which come to mind are Dan Henry and Straton. Both are brands owned and designed by automobile enthusiasts who are also watch aficionados, and the designs are pretty unique.

Dan Henry in particular (the brand is named after Mr. Dan Henry who is one of the most week known watch collectors globally) has some very aesthetically pleasing and well-sized watches, i.e. not gargantuan pieces which look odd on the wrist.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 30th May 2019 at 10:52.
Old 31st May 2019, 05:07   #3875

Quote:
Yes, it is working fine. It was a straight swap.

The 7S36B & 7S36C are of same dimensions. When did you get your Seiko ? Mine is from 2011.
My watch is probably from 2005 or 2006. Good to know your watch is now working and it works with 7S36C.
Old 31st May 2019, 16:09   #3876

Has anyone seen the new Bulova LED computron? The vintage inspired watch is just mind blowing beautiful. Saw a photo on Instagram and immediately fell in love with it.. just wish they had maybe included a few modern features in it.
Tjax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 09:14   #3877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My watch is probably from 2005 or 2006. Good to know your watch is now working and it works with 7S36C.
I think you can use the 7S36C caliber also. The other option is 7S36B.

The 7S26x series are 21 jewels.

If you are looking for one, check ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, or even online (USA).
Old 1st June 2019, 16:38   #3878

Quote:
If you are looking for one, check ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, or even online (USA).
Thanks, my watch is running fine now, but showing its age. It now stops within 8 to 12 hrs if it is not worn and also the key is hard to pull out for adjusting the time. I am currently in the UK and planning to give it for a service here before I come back to Bangalore. Do you by any chance know a trusted/affordable Seiko service centre in Bangalore.
Old 1st June 2019, 20:36   #3879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, my watch is running fine now, but showing its age. It now stops within 8 to 12 hrs if it is not worn and also the key is hard to pull out for adjusting the time. I am currently in the UK and planning to give it for a service here before I come back to Bangalore. Do you by any chance know a trusted/affordable Seiko service centre in Bangalore.
The trusted service centre is the question. The official service centre like Ethos charge upto 25% of cost of watch for servicing. Does not makes sense to go there. I also heard about two other places - the Casio's service centre in Hanumanth Nagar. And one shop at the top of Brigade Road. I have not tried either.

Since you are in UK, why dont you look for a suitable movement itself ? You get a new one @ about 3-4K INR, and will run well for the next few years. This should actually compare favorably to getting it serviced there (or here) + cost of parts.
Old 2nd June 2019, 09:51   #3880
BHPian

Ferrari Pilota Steel Watch With Blue Dial gifted by my dear wife. Bought from Helios Watch Store for 14k.

Picture taken from the official website
https://store.ferrari.com/en-in/quar...pt=Man_WATCHES
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-46612590od_22_f.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2019, 23:24   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
So what really happened ? Did my original movement get swapped somewhere ? I havent given the watch anywhere else.

btw, the bottom surface of my watch is transparent. Hence I can see the movement # without opening it up.
Mine is a Japan made Seiko 5 and the movement number is mentioned on the glass back, roughly behind the 8 o clock marking. The movement number is also mentioned between 6 and 5 markings on the dial, but it is tiny so you may need a magnifying glass to see.
Old 9th July 2019, 14:38   #3882
Senior - BHPian

I was doing my monthly window shopping on creationwatches today, when I noticed that they have quite a few watches on sale. So, sharing those links here, in case someone wants to get tempted

https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...ndex-1-5d.html

https://www.creationwatches.com/prod...wout-sale-211/

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th July 2019, 12:29   #3883
AVR
BHPian

Picked up the Seiko Samurai SRPC93K1 since I lust for blue dials...

Which watch do you own?-samurai.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I was doing my monthly window shopping on creationwatches today
Cheers,
Vikram
You make this sound like grocery shopping. hahaha.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 12:34   #3884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Picked up the Seiko Samurai SRPC93K1 since I lust for blue dials...

Attachment 1892315
Nice watch. I think this is the Save the Ocean special variant, isn't it? I have the Pepsi bezel variant of the same watch, and I picked it up immediately upon its re-release in 2017. My favourite features of this watch are the short lug to lug distance (which makes it easily wearable for smaller wrists) and the insanely and eye-searingly powerful lume on the dial, just like all modern Seiko divers. I love blue dials as well, and have the Orient Mako II and the Samurai in blue dial variants.

Try pairing this watch on some good rubber straps. I have mine on a Barton Elite strap and its a fantastic fit on the wrist. Will also cut down its weight to half, given that you have the metal bracelet version and make it that much more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

By the way, if you don't mind sharing, where did you pick this up from and what was the cost?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 10th July 2019 at 12:41.
Old 10th July 2019, 12:43   #3885
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice watch. I think this is the Save the Ocean special variant, isn't it?
Yes. It's the Save the Ocean special. The normal-to-dark blue transition is lovely. I also have another blue Seiko PADI Prospex (link here)

I love the metal straps and never wear leather, rubber or NATO straps. Yes it's heavy and I wear on my right hand but I am used to it now.

Btw, the blue dial I still (and really) lust after is the SPB089 Seiko Alpinist LE. Look it up!

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks