Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 21:35   #13576
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

England going well at 269/6 with Root's unbeaten century and Sam Curran batting well. Lead already 170+, definitely won't be easy for India. Will India go down 0-1 with a loss in this opening test ? Seems like that's a possibility now.

Last edited by NPV : 7th August 2021 at 21:37.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:50   #13577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
England going well at 269/6 with Root's unbeaten century and Sam Curran batting well. Lead already 170+, definitely won't be easy for India. Will India go down 0-1 with a loss in this opening test ? Seems like that's a possibility now.
We have lost 1st match of several recent test series. Still went on to win the series
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 21:55   #13578
Team-BHP Support

The weather hopefully holds for the last day so India get a proper chase in (or England get a chance to bowl them out).

A day's worth of play time already lost, be a shame if a well-poised game is washed out now.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 22:06   #13579
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
We have lost 1st match of several recent test series. Still went on to win the series
Past performance is not necessarily an indicator for this series as well, there's always the law of averages too

But, yes I do hope for a series win.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:06   #13580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will India go down 0-1 with a loss in this opening test ? Seems like that's a possibility now.
Look at the brighter side. Losing the 1st test is a sign that we are wining the Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Hope the 5th day remains bright and sunny! This is anyones match now. Root proves why he is 'sometimes' compared to the top 3 - Kohli, Kane & Smith.

Australia are really struggling to put a good team for the T20s. They badly need Warner, Smith, Mitch, Cummins & Starc be at their best to win the WC T20.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 7th August 2021 at 22:09.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 22:27   #13581
BHPian

Match superbly poised , India need just above 200 runs to win... difficult proposition but gettable.
Old 7th August 2021, 22:34   #13582

I think this can be an easy win for India.
209 runs just off 121 overs seem to be an easy chase for the deep line up.
Hope Rain does not play a spoilsport tomorrow or else it would be a draw.
Old 7th August 2021, 23:38   #13583
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India played the last session well to get 50+ runs and lose just 1 wicket.
However, it's still not going to be easy tomorrow, fingers crossed. Match seems evenly poised at the end of Day 4.
Old 7th August 2021, 23:40   #13584
BHPian

Pujara's boundary of the final ball pretty much sums up India's day. It's going to be a very interesting first session tomorrow. I call it 70:30 in India's favour at the moment.

Last edited by Emvi : 7th August 2021 at 23:47. Reason: Line added
Old 8th August 2021, 10:02   #13585
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Pujara's boundary of the final ball pretty much sums up India's day. It's going to be a very interesting first session tomorrow. I call it 70:30 in India's favour at the moment.
It will be interesting to see Pujara's approach - will he be his usual self blocking and playing cautiously, using just the odd loose ball to score runs or will he look to score more often, seemed like the latter when he batted in the last session yesterday on day 4. He was also lucky that one of the balls did not find a fielder when it ballooned off the bat.

I'm not so sure about the game being 70:30 game in favor of India at the moment though, I guess the English bowlers have a trick or two that can trouble the Indian batsmen. Ollie Robinson seems to be in good touch and with a little bit of bounce can definitely trouble the Indian batsmen. Lot of mind games if Anderson, Broad and Robinson bowl at their best (Rahul got out to a beauty from Anderson).

Morning session today will be key and probably set the tone for rest of day 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANE View Post
I think this can be an easy win for India.
209 runs just off 121 overs seem to be an easy chase for the deep line up.
4th innings chases can be tricky, many teams fail to get 150+, so it won't be easy. The recent Gabba test was one where India chased down 320+ for a win.

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2021 at 10:21.
Old 8th August 2021, 10:10   #13586
BHPian

Very evenly poised match. I hope the weather doesn’t play spoilsport. I think it will come down to how much the Indian lower middle order will bat.

Looking back, the contributions of the tail went a long way in setting this up slightly in favor of India.
Old 8th August 2021, 10:13   #13587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be interesting to see Pujara's approach - will he be his usual self blocking and playing cautiously, using just the odd loose ball to score runs or will he look to score more often, seemed like the latter when he batted in the last session yesterday on day 4.
How often have we seen Pujara hitting a boundary off the last ball of a session that too in aggressive fashion. Yesterday it was the last ball before stumps and that cracking cover drive was a statement to the English camp. He's not going to block endlessly today for sure. An interesting last day with India's nose little ahead. All it needs for the match to hang in balance or even tilt towards England is couple of quick wickets(like in the first innings). India will have to work hard for the remaining runs for victory. I predict a 4 wicket victory for India

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 8th August 2021 at 10:15.
Old 8th August 2021, 11:38   #13588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
India will have to work hard for the remaining runs for victory. I predict a 4 wicket victory for India
I want to see India do what Australia did yesterday (albeit in T20) by sending Dan Christian as a pinch hitter to dilute the pressure. Without his innings, Australia would have lost the match.

Let R Sharma & Pujara play cautiously. If anyone falls early then send in R Pant and let him play his game. A quickfire 40 of 25 balls will also help tilt the pressure on England. Then we have Kohli & Rahane with Jaddu waiting to finish it off.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 12:22   #13589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I want to see India do what Australia did yesterday (albeit in T20) by sending Dan Christian as a pinch hitter to dilute the pressure. Without his innings, Australia would have lost the match.

Let R Sharma & Pujara play cautiously. If anyone falls early then send in R Pant and let him play his game. A quickfire 40 of 25 balls will also help tilt the pressure on England. Then we have Kohli & Rahane with Jaddu waiting to finish it off.
Agree mate. It's good to create a bit of chaos
Old 8th August 2021, 12:33   #13590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

I will never ever do this unless they need like 50 in 30 balls scenario. Pant and Jadeja's job is to make sure a win if Pujara, kohli and Rahane fail. If they don't fail then he doesn't even needs to bat. It's high time we realize Pant isn't a pinch hitter and proper batsman who has played long test innings in winning causes.

Pujara was positive yesterday. It was so good to see. I hope he makes atleast a 50 today as him being back in form will be great booster.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks