Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2021, 21:06   #13546
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Take it easy guys, this is a series to try youngsters who otherwise may not get a chance in the team when the main players are around (the ones touring England now). Also, very few T20I games are played, so every game is a good experience for these players.
Good thing is almost every one in the squad got a game

Last edited by NPV : 29th July 2021 at 21:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 21:12   #13547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's sad to see the team lose like this but I wouldn't say that this is embarrassing
Its not about wining or losing, it is the poor application by our batsmen against spin which we are known to play well. They will learn and hope we dont just forget this series by considering it as our 3rd choice team. Apart from Sandeep Warrior, all of them were in the reckoning for a place in the playing XI.

With regards to the middle order, the preference would be as below and agreed by most.

SKY 》S Iyer 》I Kishan 》 M Pandey 》S Samson

(Considering KL Rahul opening the inning)

Also for wicket keeper batsman, Sanju Samson shall fall back behind I Kishan now.

R Pant 》I Kishan 》S Samson
Old 29th July 2021, 22:31   #13548
BHPian

Relax guys. This is India C team who have been in bubble for a long time just to play 6 matches.

Let's be considerate to the players. They are humans and not machines.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:53   #13549
Senior - BHPian

This was an experiment which was going well until Krunal Pandya happened. So, what is the outcome of performances.

Dhawan is past his prime. He won't play test or T20 for India now. In ODI too he is there till he doesn't have a form slump.

Gaikwad isn't ready. DDP isn't ready. Rana didn't even looked IPL class.

Samson was never good in IPL or domestic so expecting him to do wonders at international scene was gonna backfire and it did.

Manish Pandey keeps screwing opportunities.

Kuldeep was good in patches but he needs more time in domestic to get his mojo back.

Varun was good and can be like Sunil Narine mystery spinner for India.

Rahul chahar looked most promising and should be kept as backup.

Hardik is out of form, both bat and ball.

I was impressed with Sandeep Warrier pace in last match. Should be groomed.

Bhuvi needs to work on his fitness and get his pace up. 125km speed won't trouble better quality batsman and he wasn't even able to bowl any Yorkers.

Sakaria can be a better bowler but needs couple of domestic years.

Saini needs to work on moving the ball as only pace doesn't works on international scene like Shaun Tait. Though, I feel for Saini. Dhawan totally forgot about him and in the end he got injured too.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 14:58   #13550
PPS
Senior - BHPian

It was an embarrassing loss. I understand the experimentation, but these IPL stars frankly lacked the skill to fight it out on a slow turner. It was a very poor strategy to bat first looking at what transpired in the 2nd T20! SL were all over Team India like a rash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Dhawan is past his prime. He won't play test or T20 for India now. In ODI too he is there till he doesn't have a form slump.
His good IPL form will ensure he stays in the squad for another year atleast.

Quote:
Gaikwad isn't ready. DDP isn't ready. Rana didn't even looked IPL class.Sakaria can be a better bowler but needs couple of domestic years.
Paddikkal I believe had a good domestic season but I have a problem with players drafted into the senior team just on the basis of 1 good IPL season. The likes of Surya Kumar & Vihari have got their India cap after scoring loads of runs year after year in domestic cricket. Just shows these IPL stars look good in the IPL coz they're surrounded by other experienced established stars.
Old 30th July 2021, 15:20   #13551
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Relax guys. This is India C team who have been in bubble for a long time just to play 6 matches.

Sorry I refuse to accept this excuse because even SL were playing their C team. They didn't have Mathews, Chandimal, Dickwella, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis, Gunathilaka, Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep - all of those are their first choice players.

They shouldn't be forgetting how to field at this level. I strongly believe if we had held on to a few sitters in the second T20, we would have won the series there itself. The third T20 was a massive eye opener, it's shocking to see our young talent being so inept at playing spin.
Oxy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 17:01   #13552
BHPian

So what happens to Dhawan now? He was ordinary in SL but he is an ICC Tournament beast. Playing him would mean being unfair to a number of other players.

Sanju Samson should be out of the picture now, till Pant, KL & Ishan Kishan are in picture.
Pandya brothers should be rested, but I'm sure Hardik will be drafted in 11 ignoring Thakur.
Kuldeep should be out of the schemes as well.

The only positives out of this SL tour, for me, are:
1. SKY
2. Shaw's blistering knocks
3. Bhuvi's bowling (his fitness needs improvement leaps and bounds)
4. Chahar's all round performance
Old 30th July 2021, 22:39   #13553
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The Indian XI for the T20 WC is more or less fixed I feel:-

Rohit Sharma
KL Rahul
Virat Kohli
Surya Kumar Yadav
Rishabh Pant
Hardik Pandya
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Natarajan / Deepak Chahar / Shami
Chahal
Bumrah

I really don't rate Shami much as a T20 bowler but I have a feeling he'll be there. Problems will arise if team management try to fit Dhawan into the XI. Natarajan is currently recovering from injury, so IPL will be a litmus test for him if fit.

Meanwhile in England, respite for Team India as Ben Stokes has pulled out of the series!

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2202365
Old 31st July 2021, 00:02   #13554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
The Indian XI for the T20 WC is more or less fixed I feel:-

Rohit Sharma
KL Rahul
Virat Kohli
Surya Kumar Yadav
Rishabh Pant
Hardik Pandya
Ravindra Jadeja
Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Natarajan / Deepak Chahar / Shami
Chahal
Bumrah

I really don't rate Shami much as a T20 bowler but I have a feeling he'll be there. Problems will arise if team management try to fit Dhawan into the XI. Natarajan is currently recovering from injury, so IPL will be a litmus test for him if fit.

Meanwhile in England, respite for Team India as Ben Stokes has pulled out of the series!

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/2202365
Shaw will be backup for opening. Don't see dhawan getting on plane for UAE unless it's like a 25 member squad due to Covid issues.

Rather than Shami I will play Thakur or Deepak chahar. We need to bat deep like England and Windies as without that tournaments aren't won.

Stokes missing out is such a shame as people like him light up the matches. He hasn't been the same since his father's death and I hope he gets some help and return when he feels better mentally. It's good to see more sportsperson are speaking openly about mental health. Especially when due to Covid they are mostly living in bubbles.

Last edited by harry10 : 31st July 2021 at 00:06.
Old 31st July 2021, 19:27   #13555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Sorry I refuse to accept this excuse because even SL were playing their C team. They didn't have Mathews, Chandimal, Dickwella, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis, Gunathilaka, Lakmal, Nuwan Pradeep - all of those are their first choice players.

They shouldn't be forgetting how to field at this level. I strongly believe if we had held on to a few sitters in the second T20, we would have won the series there itself. The third T20 was a massive eye opener, it's shocking to see our young talent being so inept at playing spin.
  • The players spent 14 days in mandatory quarantine in Mumbai
  • An additional 4-5 days mandatory quarantine in Srilanka
  • The team came back, from an hopeless situation, to win the 2nd ODI
  • One of the player was affected by Covid and 8-9 players had to get into an isolation due to that. The easiest thing for the players to do is to throw in the towel and pull out of the tour. The team stayed back and competed with their limited resources and almost pulled off a win in the 2nd T20I.
  • News came out today that two other players are now infected with Covid and they have stay in isolation in Sri Lanka until they are completely recovered
  • This has been a very friendly series
    - the entire Sri Lankan team was surrounding Dhawan eager to pick up learnings from his experience
    - Dravid had a nice little chat with the Sri Lankan captain during the rain break in the 3rd ODI
    - Hardik Pandya gifted his bat to an emerging Sri Lankan all-rounder

I understand the an average cricket fan is very demanding and expects the team to win all matches and the team should be prepared to deal with brickbats.

p.s : As I type this I just read the news that Ben Stokes is taking an indefinite break from cricket to deal with the mental side of things.

As I said, at the end of the day they are humans first and cricketers next.

Last edited by searacer932 : 31st July 2021 at 19:30.
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:21   #13556
PPS
Senior - BHPian

With Mayank Agarwal ruled out of the 1st Test, I guess team management will force Vihari to open the innings now since they have zero confidence in Easwaran. KL Rahul will slot into the middle order, will be surprised if India pick 5 frontline bowlers.
Old 3rd August 2021, 21:40   #13557
BHPian

Bangladesh beat Australia by 23 runs in the first T20I of the 5 match series! This is Bangladesh's maiden victory against the Aussies in the format.

Score:
Bangladesh- 131/7
Australia- 108 all out

Last edited by Emvi : 3rd August 2021 at 21:42.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:42   #13558
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 1 of India Vs England first test at Nottingham - Indian bowling has been excellent all day, need just the last wicket to bowl England out

Hope Sam Curran doesn't torment the bowling now.

Edit: England 183 all out

Last edited by NPV : 4th August 2021 at 21:54.
Old 4th August 2021, 21:48   #13559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Bangladesh beat Australia
Bangladesh beat Australia AGAIN! 2-0 up. Who is wishing for a clean sweep by BD over Aus?
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 21:58   #13560
Distinguished - BHPian

What a wonderful bowling performance from India to dismiss England for 183! Hope they bat well.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2021 at 05:20. Reason: Non-forum smileys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks