Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2017, 15:21   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Mattress To Buy and Points to Consider

Apologies for lack of useful answers to your post <Blush>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I am unable to decide whether to go for 5" or a 6" ?
Can you share which size do you use and what was the criteria for selection ?
My wife is taking afternoon nap: I crept in with the tape, and it appears to be five and a half inches! I don't think I applied any criteria, other than lying on one and saying, that's fine. As I was moving up from a concrete-like coir thing, and had previously been used to an expensive western multi-spring, I think I would have found anything softer but supportive to be "fine." Supportive? Your body should be supported all over by the mattress: you should not be able to get a hand under the small of your back, but nor should you be falling into a hole.
Quote:
Also if you can share prices/ discounts you got on MRP.
Regular MRP, as far as I know. Mattress 1 was a long time ago, and mattress 2 came with a post-flood-loyalty discount, but it was fairly nominal, as far as I can remember.
Old 25th August 2017, 08:45   #392
BHPian

I am in the market for buying a king size mattress. And i am simply amazed by the options available now. I would appreciate the following information i.e.
a) Broad criteria to select a mattress.
b) Suggestions within a budget of 30 to 50k.
The link http://www.deccanchronicle.com/lifes...oose-from.html and http://www.zelect.in/mattress/mattresses-buying-guide did provide useful pointers.

My preferred configuration is
Mattress Type : Latex / Foam
Thickness : 6"
Size : 75 x 72

And Yes..We are somewhere in between a Young and a Old couple .

Last edited by dpkbehera : 25th August 2017 at 09:10. Reason: Additional Info
Old 26th August 2017, 14:58   #393
BHPian

Finally placed an order for Sunday Ortho 2G Mattress.
Couple of points w.r.t the buying experience i.e.
a) Experience center not present in Hyderabad.
b) Pickup of old mattresses only available in Bangalore for a charge of Rs 500.

Last edited by dpkbehera : 26th August 2017 at 14:59. Reason: Additional Info
Old 27th August 2017, 08:52   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I am unable to decide whether to go for 5" or a 6" ?
Can you share which size do you use and what was the criteria for selection ?
Also if you can share prices/ discounts you got on MRP.
Thickness is a function of type of material and the density of material. A good 6 inch latex mattress might be more comfortable than a cheap 10 inch spring mattress.

Here's how I would approach this:

1. How to decide what should be the minimum thickness? Try the mattress when lying down (not when sitting) and toss and turn a little bit, the mattress should not compress completely that you start feeling the cot below. In general, anything that is less than 4 inches might be too low. I would say 6-8 inches is a pretty good range for most materials.

2. What should the maximum thickness be? The combined height of the cot and the mattress should +/- 4 inches as compared to the height of your knee. The logic is pretty simple - your bed should be easy for you to get on and get off. It shouldn't be too tall that you accidentally sprain your ankle when trying to land your feet on the floor in the nights and at the same time it should not be too low that you feel like you are doing "squats" when getting up. If your cot is 12-16 inches high, then a 6-8 inch mattress would be good enough.

Hope you find a great mattress. Do not compromise on your sleep. A good night's sleep will give you the confidence to conquer the world!
Old 27th August 2017, 14:21   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Goes without saying, really, but hey ...

Of course, your mattress thickness should match the design features of your cot. No ugly gaps, and no excess.

Obvious, yes... but if I had a mattress for every time I've missed something obvious when making a purchase, I'd... have lots of mattresses.
Old 4th October 2017, 11:51   #396
BHPian

Needed to change the out of shape 8 year old foam bed.
Foam was not considered.
Latex sounded promising. But the thought of spending 8 hours every night on something made of rubber wasn't appealing, and not to mention the exorbitant rates for 'natural' latex.

Finally settled for a customised fine quality white cotton variant.
Pros - weather friendly, light on pocket, re-usable (white cotton can be refurbished unlike silk cotton which crumbles with age), super comfy.
Cons - need to be hawk eyed while making it to ensure it is to your requirements (spent a good couple of hours with the bed maker right from cotton selection/weighing right down to the final stitching measurements,etc), needs regular 'bed rotation' to ensure evenness and lost lasting comfort.

All in all, happy with the outcome, a small effort to stay closer to nature
Old 4th October 2017, 16:58   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Finally settled for a customised fine quality white cotton variant.
Where in Bangalore did you get this done? I'm looking for cotton mattress, but had a very bad experience with the previous one I got made.
Old 4th October 2017, 17:40   #398
Senior - BHPian

The issue with the cotton mattresses (gaddi) I had was that it tends to sag with age. There is also the need to pull the cotton out, beat/ split it and refill the mattress every 2-3 years or so.There will be uneven surfaces formed, which cause back pain after prolonged use.

I went for a good quality proper Foam mattress. The comfort is better and hope it is longer lasting.

Last edited by hrman : 4th October 2017 at 17:42.
Old 4th October 2017, 19:37   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Latex sounded promising. But the thought of spending 8 hours every night on something made of rubber wasn't appealing ...
Why? It is very comfortable and not at all sweaty. Branded latex mattresses in my mother country, eg Dunlopillow, are very expensive, even lakhs.
Old 4th October 2017, 20:27   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
...Your body should be supported all over by the mattress: you should not be able to get a hand under the small of your back, but nor should you be falling into a hole....
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For pure latex there are only two who get it right
2. Springair (subsidiary of Springair US) based in Noida markets pure latex mattress under the name nature's rest. The latex block itself is imported from Latex international also of the US. This one is made using the modern Talalay process.

Quote:
I think that breathability is the key. I'm guessing that the area of mattress I'm lying on takes on the heat of my body, whatever the material. The huge difference is sweaty/non-sweaty.

Latex is non-sweaty. It breathes. It feels cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Natural Latex is a far better proposition than man made foam, soft or otherwise.
Quote:
Latex has wonderful qualities: it is comfortable, breathable and feels cool. There is a world of difference between latex and any other foam I have ever sat or laid on. But "foam" covers many structures, and perhaps different plastics too. For instance, I've never slept on a Tempur mattress.

I've been sleeping on Latex for ten years and have no plans to change
Thanks to the above and many of the other posts praising latex mattress, I have finally picked up one. Thad's comments about the latex mattress being not sweaty and the fact that he is staying in Chennai and still saying that, carried a lot of weight. I still remember breaking into a sweat, the moment I stepped out of the shower on a summer day in Chennai.

Finally got home Spring Air's "Nature's Rest" 100% latex mattress (6" thick) custom made to 78.5" x 60.5" size. When I made the bed (yes, I built the bed myself ), I had made it to 79" x 61" size, leaving about an inch along the length and width more than the standard queen size. The store person said that 1" would be too much of a gap and therefore he increased the size of the mattress by 0.5" along the length and width. This turned out to be the perfect size. The mattress was made on 30-Sep-2017 at their Pune factory and delivered to me today.

I had considered a few other latex mattresses like Foams India, MM Foam, Sunday Mattress and a couple of other local latex mattresses. For a similar sized 6" mattress the pricing was similar among them except for Sunday Mattress which was considerably cheaper. Although, I am using a Foams India's latex pillow and I find it to be good, I was not very sure about how I would claim any kind of warranty (15 years by them) since they had no local presence at all in Pune. Sunday mattress had only fixed sizes and no customization was possible. So finally decided to go with Spring Air. They give 10 years of replacement warranty for the mattress (the deformation has to be at least 3 cm). They have several stores in Pune (and one of their factories is also located at Pune) and a good number of dealers and brand stores across India. They are the fourth largest mattress manufacturer in the USA (as per Wiki). I had a pleasant experience dealing with the mattress store in Aundh (opposite Croma), particularly with Rohit who manages the store. Let us see how the sleep experience actually goes. Initial impressions are good. I will update this thread with my experience after a month or so of using the mattress. By then I will also finish the headboard of the bed. I had suspended all my carpentry work because of the rains.
Old 4th October 2017, 23:34   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha hah... You might still sweat here, especially on a summer night --- but it would not be made worse by a latex mattress. The opposite experience being synthetic foam, which would make it worse.

Hope you enjoy your new bed
Old 30th October 2017, 17:10   #402

Hi everyone. Newbie here.

Who'd have guessed that the most valuable repository of knowledge on all things mattress resided on an automobile website!

I was in the market for a new mattress and despite some very diligent shop-hopping and some very heavy, mind-numbing research, was unable to make a sure-footed decision on which one to pick. Sometimes too much choice is a bad thing - and if there is one industry where this holds true, its the mattress scene. Forget about getting the right answer, you don't even know the right questions to ask!

Anyway, I knew I didn't even want to look at a coir mattress ever again, and my experiments with cotton-stiffed mattresses had ended up rather unpleasantly thus far. I also didn't want too many layers and parts, because that predisposes any closed system for early failure - so the spring mattresses were out. As far as memory foam is concerned, the heat issue (I live in Chennai) eliminated it pronto. And I wasn't too thrilled about re-bonded or HR foam either (I try to avoid volatile synthetic materials and industrial solvents/glue as far as possible for personal as well as scientific reasons), but that's a discussion for another day. Latex is also the longest-lasting amongst mattresses, hypo-allergenic, mite-resistant, mold-resistant, sag-resistant and overall rockstar in the mattress world (at least that's what the experts on the inter-webs claim very vocally) So after considerable deliberation, I found myself pointed squarely at a natural latex mattress.

Among the natural latex providers, I short-listed many, but was left remaining with MM foam, Foams India and Sunday Mattress. The premium overseas brands politely excused themselves from the fray once they'd had a peep in my wallet.

Sunday seems to have only one experience centre in Bangalore, and I didn't want to order a mattress without even having a look at it. The 100 day return policy seemed good on paper, but I didn't want to risk it - there are mixed accounts of them honouring their claim (based on what i read online), seems to range from stellar to horrible. MM foam lost out simply because i didn't find a single recommendation from anyone and they seem to be around 8-10K more expensive as compared to Foams India. So mostly by process of elimination, the winner was Foams India. Went over to their Royapettah office and spoke to the proprietors. Seemed like ok people. Also checked out their experience centre at Phoenix Mall and both the missus and the lil one green-lighted the "pearl" variant. We ended up ordering a 75x72x5 inch Pearl mattress (rated as 80 for firmness - don't ask what unit). Delivery is scheduled after 3 days (Wednesday).

Now I'm just waiting for the delivery and hoping I made the right call. Time will tell.

Thad's recommendations seemed to have weighed in very heavily in my decision making so thank you for that. And a big thanks to everyone else here for their inputs - they've all somehow contributed to the decision making process. Wonderful community here.
Old 20th November 2017, 23:16   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Had purchased a Sunday Ortho 2G Mattress around 3 months back (the one with 2 inch latex and 4 inch foam). Actually liked the full 6 inch latex one, but was beyond budget at 50K for the King Size. Was pretty happy with the Ortho 2G but we had that nagging feeling that a little bit more softness would have been nice.

Few days back, was casually browsing the site and was surprised to see Memory Foam make an appearance. When I had purchased, they were like 'Latex is far superior etc etc' . Now they suddenly had a 6 inch memory foam mattress.

Even more interesting was the fact that the Ortho 2G 6 inch mattress had changed into a new model called Ortho Plus 3 which was an 8 inch mattress with 2 inch latex, 1 inch Memory Foam and 5 inch foam. Price was Rs 1000 more than the 6 inch Ortho 2G.

Seemed to be exactly what I wanted, a little bit more softer than the one I had, I was on day 92 since the initial purchase and hence initiated the 'within 100 day return/exchange'. Got the new one and it seems to be a good decision. Need to use for a few more days and see.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th November 2017 at 23:18.
Old 21st November 2017, 15:24   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I was on day 92 since the initial purchase and hence initiated the 'within 100 day return/exchange'...
Any idea what happens to the one you returned? Will it be cleaned/refurbished/remade and sold to an unsuspecting customer or will it be recycled?
Old 21st November 2017, 17:47   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Any idea what happens to the one you returned? Will it be cleaned/refurbished/remade and sold to an unsuspecting customer or will it be recycled?
They say that since returns constitute a very small percent, they use these for customer demos and in their sleep lounges.

https://support.sundayrest.com/hc/en...ed-mattresses-

Personally think that if returns go beyond a point they will be recycling. Since they call out this 100 night trial as a major USP, which in turn means there will be a natural suspicion about returned mattresses, I don't think they will try to resell as is. One incident or even strong suspicion of cheating will be sufficient to collapse their business.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks