Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 16th July 2019, 09:49   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Credit Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - need a suggestion - I have an international trip coming up. Should I buy USD currency notes or use the credit or debit card and withdraw the local currency - Jordian Dinar from ATMs there. I have HDFC Regalia Credit card and a normal Debit card. If not cards, then is bookmyforex.com a reliable option?
Avoid withdrawing money as much as possible when abroad because of the additional charges. Credit cards are better option. For me, it worked out cheaper to carry USD currency from India which you can get at any bank, but there is a limit to how much we can carry safely.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 09:51   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All - need a suggestion - I have an international trip coming up. Should I buy USD currency notes or use the credit or debit card and withdraw the local currency - Jordian Dinar from ATMs there. I have HDFC Regalia Credit card and a normal Debit card. If not cards, then is bookmyforex.com a reliable option?
Card withdrawals will incur two sets of charges
- Dinar to USD
- USD to Rupees

You will get much better rates in Jordan if you carry USD, preferably $100/ denomination, as they get the best rates.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 09:53   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Avoid withdrawing money as much as possible when abroad because of the additional charges. Credit cards are better option. For me, it worked out cheaper to carry USD currency from India which you can get at any bank, but there is a limit to how much we can carry safely.
Thanks a lot Adimicra for your suggestions!!Will carry USD cash then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Card withdrawals will incur two sets of charges
- Dinar to USD
- USD to Rupees

You will get much better rates in Jordan if you carry USD, preferably $100/ denomination, as they get the best rates.
Thanks a lot Aroy!! Will get USD then. Is bookmyforex.com a reliable option?
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 11:19   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot Aroy!! Will get USD then. Is bookmyforex.com a reliable option?
I have never used them, always depend on local currency traders.

Many agencies charge exorbitant spread of Rs.2/ or more per dollar, so be careful. When ever you buy currency, check the rate on XE.COM the going rate should be Rs.0.50 to Rs.1.00 per dollar more. In case they charge more than Rs.1.00 search for better trader.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 15:43   #3260
BHPian

Hey bhpians,
Looking for a credit card which provides cash back which can be redeemable. Presently having salaried account with HDFC. Any FREE/without-any-charge available with HDFC or any which are value-added-and-feature-rich ? Mainly want to use the credit card for shopping purposes be it daily groceries or for mall shopping (online and offline). Monthly spend from Rs.5k to 10K at the least.
Please suggest me with options as i have never used credit cards in my life!

Thanks very much in advance.

Ramki

Last edited by ramki067 : 24th July 2019 at 15:45.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 16:13   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hey bhpians,
Looking for a credit card which provides cash back which can be redeemable. Presently having salaried account with HDFC. Any FREE/without-any-charge available with HDFC or any which are value-added-and-feature-rich ? Mainly want to use the credit card for shopping purposes be it daily groceries or for mall shopping (online and offline). Monthly spend from Rs.5k to 10K at the least.

Ramki
You could go for HDFC Bank Money Back Card / Citibank Rewards Card. These are lifetime free cards.

You earn points for all expenditure, these points can later be adjusted against your outstanding amount (in a 4:1 ratio).

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 08:30   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hey bhpians,

Ramki
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You could go for HDFC Bank Money Back Card / Citibank Rewards Card. These are lifetime free cards.

You earn points for all expenditure, these points can later be adjusted against your outstanding amount (in a 4:1 ratio).

Rohan
As mentioned by Rohan, both the cards suit you. However, I'd give preference to Citibank as they have much better and relevant options for redeeming the earned points compared to the archaic ones at HDFC. Example- points accumulated on HDFC cannot be redeemed for Amazon vouchers (my most preferred redemption) !
drive2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 12:46   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
As mentioned by Rohan, both the cards suit you. However, I'd give preference to Citibank as they have much better and relevant options for redeeming the earned points compared to the archaic ones at HDFC. Example- points accumulated on HDFC cannot be redeemed for Amazon vouchers (my most preferred redemption) !
Thanks very much guys.
Have applied for Citi Rewards Credit card.

Ramki
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 12:35   #3264
BHPian

I own two credit cards one from Citi and the other from ICICI. Both of them are atleast eleven years old. Citi card is the India Oil Titanium Card. For every 150 Rs/- of fuel I get 4 points which is equal to 4 Rs/- fuel and for other purchases I guess I get two points for every 150/-. The best thing in this card is that, you can redeem the points only by purchasing fuel. I had redeemed these points for some ~500 ltrs of Diesel till now and will continue to get some free fuel.

As far as the ICICI Platinum HP partner Card, it just has the surcharge waiver on fuel purchase in HP outlets. The only benefit I get is the timing of the bill generation. Bill is generated on 25th of every month. So, if I use the card on 26th August, the bill will be generated on 25th September and I have to pay it by 12 October. It gives me lot of time for the payback, if the purchase is big and is at the fag end of the month. This card is strictly for Salaried people running on budgets.
saisree is online now   Reply With Quote