Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2016, 21:26   #451
BHPian

Hi, I am not yet using Fastag but have a query:
In many places there are toll booths within a few kilometers of each other operated by the same company. Now usually without Fastag if I pay toll at the first booth I only need to show the receipt at the subsequent booths and no additional payment is required.
Now with Fastag how this similar situation can be tackled?
Old 25th December 2016, 15:51   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
I just noticed that of the 500 rupee cheque I gave, only 100 are available as balance. They charge 400 for the tag!
It has been mentioned and repeated many times above in this thread
that
the breakup of 500 is
200 deposit - refundable
200 cost - one time cos
100 prepaid balance for paying tolls - and that is what reflects online. Check your account online again and you will also find a mention about 200 deposit.
Old 26th December 2016, 08:00   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Excellent experience using my FASTag to-and-fro Bangalore and Madurai. Apart from the Omalur toll where they had allowed non-tagged vehicles to use the FASTag lane, we SAILED through every toll to the complete astonishment of other users. Overall, over a ~6 hour journey, we saved ~45 minutes which translates into roughly 12%! Further, the debiting of trips is now much more streamlined as I received every SMS either immediately or within 6 hours or so.

On a hilarious note, I sensed waves of discontent coming from irate wives in the non-tagged lanes as we sailed through :-)
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 09:16   #454
BHPian

I left at 5.30pm from Hosur and reached home at Madurai by 11.55pm on 23rd. I had to spend around 30-40 minutes in Krishnagiri toll, 15 minutes in Thoppur toll, 10 minutes in Omalur toll. As usual rest all tolls till Madurai was fine as they maintain dedicated fastag lanes due to less traffic.

As i use fastag almost every day, i somehow feel there is design issue in operating fastag lanes. Most of the time non tag users were blocking(some are knowingly) the fastag lanes and security guards were not able to handle these. This i see almost every other day when there's a traffic in attibele and BETL tolls.

As someone mentioned in other thread, either government needs to enforce fastag to all vehicles during insurance renewal

Or they should change the design of the fastag lanes by completely separating it from the regular lanes 4 or 5 Kms before the tolls. And charge 5 times if non tag users uses fastag lanes purposely.
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 11:04   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Hi, I am not yet using Fastag but have a query:
In many places there are toll booths within a few kilometers of each other operated by the same company. Now usually without Fastag if I pay toll at the first booth I only need to show the receipt at the subsequent booths and no additional payment is required.
Now with Fastag how this similar situation can be tackled?
I'm guessing it should work the same way as how the 24 hour "return" ticket works.

Assuming A->B is Rs. 80, but a return ticket is Rs. 100.
When you go from A->B Fastag charges you Rs. 80. On the same day B->A will be charged only Rs. 20.

It should work the same way for a multi tolled road.
That being said, Fastag is still in its infancy and I'm not sure such a scenario would have been coded in.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 19:36   #456
BHPian

Has anyone applied for fast tag using paytm? I have contacted ICICI several times but have not got a response yet from them.

On another note, can the tag be purchased at the toll gate?
Old 26th December 2016, 20:21   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

26 Dec 2016, Bangalore

Visited BETL office and learnt that Tags are still not in stock. He also was skeptical about stock being available at Devanahalli (KIAL) Toll Plaza.

Apart from that, he was sitting on heaps of applications waiting for Tag, more than what I had seen 15 days back.

Definitely sad state of affairs when it was easy for them to expect a spike in fresh applications post demonitization exercise, their prepersiron is perhaps the worst.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 22:36   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
On another note, can the tag be purchased at the toll gate?
You can try any of the POS locations in the attached pdf which is convenient for you. This i printed from ICICI Fastag site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FASTag-pos.pdf (180.4 KB, 4177 views)
smnrock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 10:32   #459
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting the recent experience of a good friend in Mumbai whom I'd "encouraged" to get a FasTag.

He was traveling to Pune on work, so he stopped at the Khopoli toll and got the tag quickly (he tells me that this counter is available only on this Bombay-Pune side so it is ideal to stop when going towards Pune).
They were accepting only cash and since he had an upcoming trip to Bangalore, he paid Rs.2000 so had Rs.1600 as balance when it was activated. The folks there told him it will take about 2 hours to activate so he went on his way to Pune.

Next day, he wasn't really expecting the FasTag to work (assumed the 3 hour activation deadline would take a day or two at least!) and also did not see any dedicate lanes for FasTag.

He had a great surprise in store on reaching the toll booth - the boom barrier went up and the attendant told him the amount was deducted from his FasTag account

The attendant also explained to him that FasTag works at all the booths, not just specific ones

Frankly, I think this is the way to go instead of having dedicated "unmanned" lanes or using security guards at the entrance to these dedicated lanes, some even with hand-held scanners.

If all lanes were capable to recognizing FasTag RFID's any lane could be used.

So far, I've seen this at the Jadcherla toll on the Hyderabad route and also at the toll plazas on the Karur-Trichy route and now heard that the Bombay-Pune Expressway is similar, hope this model finds more acceptance across toll plazas.

Last edited by NPV : 27th December 2016 at 10:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 11:14   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
You can try any of the POS locations in the attached pdf which is convenient for you. This i printed from ICICI Fastag site.
My friend interested in getting fastag ASAP, so I just called krishnagiri POS number available in this attachment and they seems to be having 300+ applications pending due to lack of tags. According to the POS guy, this is the situation at most of the POS in TN. He also told, from their Madurai office only most of the POS get tags in TN region and gave this number 9444333020 as it may be possible to get the tag immediately from here. When i called, they also said, it will will take two days to get the tag. If we apply today, then by thursday, we will get the tag as they also have many applications pending.

Seems axis bank too outsourced fastag project to them(sahaj), but so far they never received any tags/setup from axis.
Old 27th December 2016, 12:17   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The attendant also explained to him that FasTag works at all the booths, not just specific ones

Can you please let know which toll booth was this?

Quote:
the Bombay-Pune Expressway is similar, hope this model finds more acceptance across toll plazas.
Does Mumbai - Pune Expressway accept Fastag? I was thinking it is managed by MSRDC and hence may not accept Fastag.
Old 27th December 2016, 12:21   #462
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my FAStag from Chennai.

I had initially called an ICICI representative, whose name and number was put up earlier in this thread. He was from the Ambattur branch and gave me 2 options:

1. Download and fill up the form and relevant documents and courier the same to ICICI ambattur office and get the tag in 7-8 days
2. Fill the forms and take the relevant documents and submit the same personally at the Ambattur ICICI office. The turnaround time would be 3-4 days

Since Ambattur was very far for me as I am based out of South Chennai, I did some googling and tried to get other POS locations. Found an NHAI office in Guindy and on calling them up, found out that there is an ICICI representative who sits there. Spoke to the person, his name is Prabhu. The turnaround time was said to be between 1 - 2 days.

Filled up the form and gave the same to my colleague, for whom it is on the way. He dropped the forms at their office. Due to the servers being down (or at least that's what I was told), the tags took a week to arrive. Gave the form on the 16th of Dec and got the tags on the 23rd. Also, even if they do ask to make the payment after getting the tag, please do pay them immediately as this will result in shorter wait time. They also accept IMPS payments if you need the tag urgently.

Since I had to travel on the 23rd early morning, I could not use the tag. I have the tag with me and will post on actual usage once I do another NH trip.

Generally though, they have a turn around of 2 - 3 days. My other colleagues who applied after me got the tag within 24 hours. All in all, happy that I was able to get the tag without going to Ambattur.

For those who are interested in getting the tag, here are the details:

POC name: Prabhu
Contact number: 9677091567
Location of the office: When coming down the Kathipara flyover towards Vadapalani, take the left immediately after the flyover, before Olympia Tech Park. Then the 3rd left. The name of the building is Sree towers. The person is usually available between 10 and 5:30 PM, though he goes sometimes to Sriperumbudur to collect the tags, so it would be prudent to call him and go.
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 13:50   #463
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Does Mumbai - Pune Expressway accept Fastag? I was thinking it is managed by MSRDC and hence may not accept Fastag.
Indeed, as per my friend. Let me ask him if the toll transaction for the expressway reflects in his account - it is less than a week old, so let's see if he can confirm in the next week or so.
In fact he has used it twice on the expressway so far - first time on his way back to Mumbai from Pune and again on his trip to Bangalore last week. He will be returning to Mumbai in a week or so.

Quote:
Can you please let know which toll booth was this?
Suhas - he said it works in any of the lanes (booths) on the Mumbai-Pune expressway toll plazas (first one is Khopoli when going from Mumbai to Pune).

Last edited by NPV : 27th December 2016 at 13:55.
Old 27th December 2016, 14:32   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need to introduce my father-in-law's Amaze (TN registered while I am KA) to the FASTag world. Would prefer to add his Amaze as a separate FASTag to my existing account so that I can carry out the online bit.

His DL is WB while car is TN and I am KA domiciled. Is it better that he does everything standalone?
Old 27th December 2016, 15:03   #465
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
His DL is WB while car is TN and I am KA domiciled. Is it better that he does everything standalone?
None of this matters really
FasTag is issued one per vehicle registration (and owner), so it will have to be in to be in his name and for his Car - documents will have to his vehicle RC, his ID and Address proof (I don't know if he needs to have an address in Karnataka).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks