Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 21:40   #6166
BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

I have a Fast Tag from Karur Vysya Bank which came along with the Car. Today I wanted to recharge the Tag and chose the bill desk option. Selected Standard Chartered and then was routed to their online banking page. Added Rs.1000 and as per process, gave the OTP and confirmed. The page got refreshed and showed a thank you message from Max Health Life Insurance for Rs. 27K with a transaction number
Waited for the entire day and checked whether they have deducted 27K or 1K from my bank account. It still shows as Rs.1K deducted however my Tag has not been recharged. I paid cash during today's travel. There is no customer care option in their fast tag page. There is an option to raise dispute however on submit it says data not available
I hope this is not some major glitch, with me ending up paying 27K instead of 1K. Little worried if such gateways are so easily hacked or routed elsewhere.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 14th August 2022 at 21:41.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:45   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Added Rs.1000 and as per process, gave the OTP and confirmed. The page got refreshed and showed a thank you message from Max Health Life Insurance for Rs. 27K with a transaction number
Might be a glitch. Here are my few thoughts.
  1. The bank page to enter the OTP must have shown you the amount which is being transacted, whether 1k or 27k - the deduction amount would be the same. If the amount is mentioned in the OTP received on your mobile, you can check that as well.
  2. Since 1k has been already deducted, there is unlikely to be any further deductions. As long as the payment was made on the official bank gateway.
  3. Are you sure the page redirected wasn't an advertisement of any sort? I've seen cases where, after successfully completing a transaction, the page will redirect to random advertisement pages. Cheap and tacky ad revenue being made!
  4. The redirected link should be a giveaway to see if it's official or not.
  5. If the amount has still not been credited to your account, try to get in touch with the Fastag customer care to see the status, if they confirm they haven't received it in their records. Wait for a few days for the amount to be refunded. Usually, such failed transactions would be refunded automatically.
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 10:26   #6168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I have a Fast Tag from Karur Vysya Bank which came along with the Car.
_snip_
I hope this is not some major glitch, with me ending up paying 27K instead of 1K. Little worried if such gateways are so easily hacked or routed elsewhere.
Sorry for asking basic question. But, why don't you use UPI for recharging your FasTag account?
Standard procedure via UPI is:
1. Go to any UPI application of your choice (GPay, BHIM, SamsungPay)
2. Enter UPI ID for your FasTag Account in following format netc.<VehicleNumber without brackets and spaces>@kvb e.g. for a FasTag issued for Vehicle MH99AB1234 by ICICI Bank would be netc.mh99ab1234@icici

The recharge generally is instantaneous and highly reliable.
dmplog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 18:30   #6169
BHPian

So, I have a unique and a very frustrating experience with Fastag.
My Fastag is from PayTM which I procured a few years ago, pretty much when Fastag was introduced.

I frequently do MAA-BLR-MAA trips, like twice a month. Till early-mid 2022, I had no issues. I used to load the PayTM Wallet and the toll used to get deducted directly from the wallet. I normally maintain a balance of INR 1,000 - 1,500 always, have never gone below INR 500 in the wallet. Additionally Fastag mandatory balance is INR 300, which is maintained.
For the last 3-4 months, my Fastag is coming up as Blacklisted at each and every toll booth. Not only on my usual MAA-BLR rout but also elsewhere in KA, TN and KL.
At every toll gate, it shows up as Blacklisted and immediately the attendant says, No Balance. I need to ask them to manually scan and / or enter my car number in their system and check. When they see that I have enough balance, they let me through.
Unfortunately, over the past 3-4 months, this happens at every toll gate I pass through.

I called up PayTM helpline and they say, my Tag is not showing up as Blacklisted on their system. Even on my PayTM app, my Fastag is listed as normal ands active!!

I just dont know what the problem is and PayTM is unable to support as their system shows my tag to be normal and active.
I never had any problems during the initial years. This blacklisting has cropped up only during the past 3-4 months.

I am at my wits end!
Would really appreciate some support from the forum members.
Kaumad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 18:49   #6170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
So, I have a unique and a very frustrating experience with Fastag.
My Fastag is from PayTM which I procured a few years ago, pretty much when Fastag was introduced.

I am at my wits end!
Would really appreciate some support from the forum members.
Have you received an updated RFID tag from Paytm in the recent past?

Earlier tags were smaller in size, this might be an issue.

Even I had got fastag from ICICI in 2016. They proactively replaced the tag with a new one around the time Fastag was made mandatory.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 19:26   #6171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

Even I had got fastag from ICICI in 2016. They proactively replaced the tag with a new one around the time Fastag was made mandatory.
Same here. My pre covid era ICICI Fastag suddenly stopped reading inspite of having balance. Called their executive and was asked to replace, which came the next day.

If it's old, in most cases replacement should do the trick.
shenoytech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 20:15   #6172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

Interesting!! No, I have not received any updated tag. I am still using the original one I got years ago.
Thanks. I will raise a request to PayTM to send me the updated one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Same here. My pre covid era ICICI Fastag suddenly stopped reading inspite of having balance. Called their executive and was asked to replace, which came the next day.

If it's old, in most cases replacement should do the trick.
Thanks. Looks like PayTM guys are lazy buggers who havent bothered to send me an updated one.

I have a question, based on the above points.
Can I just order a new fresh tag from ICICI Bank [I am guessing the updated RFID version], peel the old one off my windshield and just stick the new one on?
I mean, should I necessarily "deactivate" the old PayTM tag before I stick a new one?!
Old 28th September 2022, 21:20   #6173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
Thanks. Looks like PayTM guys are lazy buggers who havent bothered to send me an updated one.

I have a question, based on the above points.
Can I just order a new fresh tag from ICICI Bank [I am guessing the updated RFID version], peel the old one off my windshield and just stick the new one on?
I mean, should I necessarily "deactivate" the old PayTM tag before I stick a new one?!
They will not bother to send unless you request them to send a replacemen due to faulty tag.

For new Tag from different bank, You need to deactivate your current FASTag.
For closure and refund - You can call up the customer care of tag provider requesting them to close the tag account and refund the balance money along with deposit in your account.

If PAYTM has served you well, you can as well get replacement and continue with it because I am not sure of the turnaround time taken for closure and closure can be pain some times.
Old 29th September 2022, 14:40   #6174
BHPian

We have a car that was sold 2 years ago. My father forgot to remove the fastag sticker from the windshield of the car during handover. I was out of station at that time and the new owner merrily used the old fastag the same day and the balance came down to negative.

We have been trying to close the account ever since but since the balance is negative, closure request did not go through. I then recharged the account and initiated a closure request and that guy happily used up the balance again before ICICI could close the tag account resulting in a rejected closure request, again! This happened couple of times and I gave up. The new owner seems to be recharging the tag regularly and using it.

ICICI is not helping me close the account. Every time I raise a request, they keep rejecting it for no reason even if the balance is in the positive. Today, when I called customer care, I was informed that the minimum balance for closure is 200, which I've recharged. But now, the tag shows blacklisted. On the second call, the CS exec told me that there is another fastag linked to the same vehicle due to which this tag is blacklisted. I called for the third time and this time the CS rep said the security deposit is 0 and hence, I am unable to close the tag. He asked me to recharge the security deposit. I asked him how was I supposed to do so. He said recharge as you normally do - I pointed out that if I recharge normally, the balance gets added to the current balance. He then asked me to recharge for a minimum of 500 so that 200 will automatically get transferred to the security deposit. I am very skeptical about this since 3 different execs gave me 3 different answers today. I even asked them to block the tag and keep the amount in the wallet with them, they are simply clueless.

I did speak to the new owner about this and he has sold the car to someone else by then (RTO records too confirm the same). So, getting hold of the current owner is out of question. ICICI customer care has not been helpful. I tried the local bank, the agents at the toll booth, everything. No one was able to get the damn tag blocked.

I am running out of options and need some help here. The only option I see is to give up and ignore the messages I get every time the car is used on the highway. Any suggestions?

Last edited by furyrider : 29th September 2022 at 14:41. Reason: -
Old 29th September 2022, 17:24   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
I am running out of options and need some help here. The only option I see is to give up and ignore the messages I get every time the car is used on the highway. Any suggestions?
Ignore the messages and move on. Since you have already lost money on it, there is no point wasting more to get it cancelled. Good thing is that the car is transferred, that is more important than Fastag.
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 16:00   #6176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It happened again. This time for a toll at Khed. 110 Rs deducted. Shall I cancel this Fast Tag? I have again applied for a refund. The turn around time is 30-40 days for the refund. Shall I go for another vendor or ask HDFC for a new tag cancelling the existing one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
While I was getting my HDFC tag deactivated, I checked the status of my Paytm tag and it stated active. I even called the Paytm helpline to verify same and they confirmed it is active. So it seems I had two active Fast tags at the same time.
And it happened again. I had deactivated my HDFC tag where the toll was getting deducted at Khed Shivapur toll plaza and pasted my Paytm Fast tag. For several months I was at peace knowing the issue was solved but today again my Paytm was deducted at the same toll plaza ie Khed Shivapur. I have raised concern with PayTm.

I had two active Fastg tags (HDFC/Paytm) for the same car. Both are causing the same issue. Totally fed up with this. I will check with Paytm and get this tag cancelled as well and request for a new tag. Not sure how this issue is happening again. Someone is passing through tolls at my expense and I am feeling helpless about it.
Old 14th October 2022, 17:40   #6177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
We have a car that was sold 2 years ago.

We have been trying to close the account ever since but since the balance is negative, closure request did not go through.

Today, when I called customer care, I was informed that the minimum balance for closure is 200, which I've recharged. But now, the tag shows blacklisted.

No one was able to get the damn tag blocked.

I am trying to under the situation here. May be my understanding is wrong so feel free to correct me.

If the tag is showing blacklisted that means it is blocked and can't be used. So what more are you looking for?
Old 14th October 2022, 18:33   #6178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am trying to under the situation here. May be my understanding is wrong so feel free to correct me.

If the tag is showing blacklisted that means it is blocked and can't be used. So what more are you looking for?
My apologies for not providing an update on the situation.

The tag getting blacklisted is probably due to some technical error at ICICI's end. The tag was automatically removed from blacklist the next day.

I never explored ICICI's web interface till date (should've done it much earlier) and while doing so recently, came across an option to temporarily block the tag for up to 15 days. I did it and voila, the next day, the new owner thought the tag had insufficient funds and recharged it twice. I let the tag be in temporary block for another couple of days, and then quickly removed the block at midnight and applied for closure. At around 10 AM the next morning, got a message that closure request has been approved.

Also, I missed to convey one key piece of information as to why I wanted to get the tag account closed so desperately. My new car also has an ICICI fastag and I ran into issues when I tried to access my fastag account. Instead of adding an additional fastag to my (existing) account, the dealer has created a new account. As a result of this mix-up, there are 2 fastags linked to my phone number with 2 different ICICI fastag web logins (2 separate customer IDs). However, if I use ICICI's etoll app, it shows that I have 2 active fastag's linked to me. I have no idea why this happens only while using the app, but I almost ended up recharging the other account on a couple of occasions while using the app. Now that this is finally gone, I have one less thing to worry about.
furyrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 09:16   #6179
BANNED

Saw a news item about scammers social engineering receipients of new credit cards and transferring money into Fastag wallets. They then tie up with fuel bunks to withdraw cash. I thought fastag scan or account closure are the only two ways to withdraw money from the wallet.
Old 17th October 2022, 14:19   #6180
BHPian

I think I had bought my Fast Tags (one from HDFC Bank and the other from Paytm) for my lone car just before Covid break out. So didn't get opportunity to use the same for almost 2 years. Recently I started driving my car across toll gates with Paytm tag pasted on the windscreen and HDFC one staying unused; passed through one toll gate but there was no deduction. On the second one, I was stopped; multiple unsuccessful attempts were made to scan the tag. At the end I showed them the hand held HDFC one and it worked. On the way back none of them worked on the same toll plaza. Same happened multiple times; one toll plaza allows me to pass but there are no deductions and at the second one I have been paying cash. Then I was advised to cancel one and keep the other one. I cancelled the HDFC one and tried to use the Paytm one; didn't work even now. Then I got the Paytm tag replaced by a new one. But the tag still doesn't work. As usual one gate allows me to pass through without deductions and the second one either detects it as an invalid tag or says low balance (I have enough balance in the wallet).
Paytm Fastag customer service is pathetic; it neither allows me to cancel my Tag nor allows me to talk to their executive; the system keeps me on hold for ever.
Anyone has any idea as to what should I do next? (I have just lodged a complaint with NHAI for not being able to contact Paytm for resolution of the issue.)
Sravan

Last edited by skchettry : 17th October 2022 at 14:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks